How To Make Buttermilk Biscuits
- I have topped this pot pie recipe with both goat cheese biscuits or my favorite buttermilk biscuit recipe. Both are flaky and delicious and work well.
- There is an art to making flaky biscuits. First, depending on the recipe, your butter, shortening, and buttermilk should be very cold.
- The fat should be worked into the dry ingredients quickly so it stays cold. I like using my hands to press the pieces of butter and/or shortening into flat pieces using my fingers. Then using a pastry blender or a couple of knives, blend until the mixture is the consistency of cornmeal.
- Mix in the buttermilk to form the dough.
- Pat the dough out on a well-floured surface. I like to fold the dough over itself a couple of times to help make more layers. A floured rolling pin can help even out the dough before cutting.
- Use a biscuit cutter dipped in flour to cut out 12 rounds. PRO-Tip: Do not twist the cutter, but instead, cut straight down. This will make for taller biscuits. Top the casserole and brush the biscuit tops with melted butter before baking.
- PRO-Tip: If you dont have buttermilk on hand, you can easily make your own at home. Add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, white or cider vinegar to a one-cup liquid measuring cup. Fill the cup with milk to the one-cup mark. Let rest a couple of minutes, stir, then use it as a substitute.
How To Make The Flakiest Biscuit Crust:
Chilled ingredients are the key to flakey biscuits!
Grate frozen butter keeping cold while you mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and rosemary in a large bowl. Add butter and chilled buttermilk. Mix together just enough to form a cohesive dough.
Let dough rest for a few minutes.
Scoop 10 biscuits onto the top of the filling.
Bake in a preheated oven 425F for 10 minutes then turn the oven down to 375F for 20 minutes.
You can also bake this in a large baking dish.
This is a recipe perfect for a spacious afternoon. When possible, I take my time creating this pot pie, flowing with the process. I put on a story or some tunes and then create from the heart and receive the nourishment that comes from knowing that my family will be deeply nurtured by this meal. Food always seems to taste better with focused intention.
The Chicken For The Pot Pie Filling
Youll need a total of about 2 cups of cooked, shredded, or diced chicken for this recipe, and a variety of options will work. Pick the most convenient method for you:
- Rotisserie Chicken: This is a great shortcut! Purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat, and use in the recipe as instructed. This is my preference, since the rotisserie chicken also adds great flavor to the dish.
- Boiled and Pulled Chicken: Boil about 1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breast or chicken thighs until cooked through . When cool enough to handle, chop or pull the chicken.
- Leftover Chicken: If you have leftover grilled or baked chicken from a previous meal, put those extras to good use in this dish.
Don’t Miss: The Original Key Lime Pie Company
To Make Chicken Pot Pie You Will Need:
- Pie crust You can make a crust from scratch, but I like using a refrigerated pie dough.
- Cream of celery soup You can substitute cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup, as well.
- Mixed Vegetables I typically use frozen mixed vegetables that include carrots, corn, peas and green beans. You could also use canned vegetables or something like Veg-All
- Chicken Broth I always keep cans or cartons of chicken broth in the pantry to use in recipes.
- Cooked Chicken Leftover roasted chicken, rotisserie chicken, grilled chicken or poached chicken works for this recipe.
- Deep dish pie pan For best results, use a deep dish pie pan since the chicken pie has a lot of filling.
- Salt and pepper
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole With Biscuits
Do you need an easy comfort food dinner recipe that will feed a large family? Try this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with Biscuits for a warm filling weeknight dinner.
*This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure policy above.
Chicken pot pie is a comfort food family favorite. To make this traditional dinner into an easy casserole recipe, start with some cooked, shredded chicken breast meat. I recommend cooking the chicken the day before or over night in a crock pot on low.
You May Like: Pies And Pints Franchise
What To Serve With Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie
Dont forget to top with biscuits, like buttermilk or classic homestyle biscuits or even Cheddar Bay Biscuits, before serving!
Crockpot chicken pot pie is a complete meal in itself so you really dont need to add much. We sometimes add something fresh on the side if we want to stretch the meal a bit further.
- A crisp tossed salad with a tangy vinaigrette
- Fresh cut fruit
- A bowl of mixed olives, marinated peppadews, and mushrooms
- An extra side of garlic bread to soak up every last drop
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie
While this easy chicken pot pie casserole recipe is certainly a meal in-and-of-itself, you can definitely serve up some other items as great side dishes! Here are some of my favorite recipes to pair with chicken pot pie:
- Moms Mashed Potatoes talk about feelings of home, these are the mashed potatoes I grew up on .
- Sweet Potato Stacks these are super easy to make and they truly taste like fall!
- Apple Pecan Brussels Sprouts Salad while chicken pot pie casserole has some yummy veggies in it, I often like to pair it with a green salad and this is one of my familys favorites!
Read Also: Impossible Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Easy Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits The Ultimate Comfort Food
When our cold Minnesota winters roll around, the one PWWB meal Chris & I are most grateful for is this easy skillet chicken pot pie recipe. Creamy pot pie filling, hearty vegetables, fresh herbs, & flaky, buttery biscuits seriously, whats not to love?! Its the type of soul-satisfying, super savory dish that warms you up from the inside out. Comfort food at its finest!
But the very best part is this skillet chicken pot pie recipe is so easy to throw together that its perfect for a delicious weeknight meal. Everything is made in one skillet for minimum dish duty & the creamy homemade pot pie filling comes together quickly with tons of herbaceous flavor. Its completely homemade with the exception of one secret ingredient: flaky canned biscuits! This store-bought shortcut is totally worth the time saved & well dress the biscuits up with herb butter to make them feel extra special.
Originally published way back in 2018, this easy cast iron skillet chicken pot pie continues to be a PWWB fave to this day, made & loved by thousands of you! This isnt surprising to me in the slightest its full of rich flavor & it every step of the way comes together in a single pan, making it a family-friendly & weeknight-friendly treat. Were resharing it today right in time for comfort food season with improved photography & clearer recipe directions, but its still the same easy, flavorful, mega-comforting meal that you already know & love promise!
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour: Whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour can be used for the filling and for the biscuits.
- Dried Thyme& Dried Parsley: This is my favorite combo of herbs for pot pie, but rosemary and sage are yummy flavors too and can either be subbed in or added.
- Chicken Broth: chicken stock or vegetable stock can be used along with chicken bouillon mixed with water or homemade chicken broth.
- Frozen Mixed Vegetables: A bag a mixed veggies makes this recipe super easy, but you can always use a few chopped up carrots along with frozen peas and frozen corn.
- Heavy Cream: Milk or half and half can be used in place of the cream. I like the cream because it makes the filling much more richer.
- Milk: Heavy Cream, half and half or buttermilk can be used in placed of the milk for the biscuits.
You May Like: The Key Lime Pie Company
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Filling
By Step How To Make Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
Read Also: Black Muslim Bean Pie Recipe
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
When starting on your pot pie adventure, there are three important Biscuit Things to consider.
Gravy with vegetables and chicken in the pan, biscuits on top, a quick trip to bake in the oven in a baking dish and.
Love of your life creamy, buttery, golden brown and savory speaking to you right here.
I can think of zero situations that are not improved drastically by a chicken pot pie with biscuits.
Is Chicken Pot Pie Unhealthy:
We believe that homemade meals made from scratch using fresh organic ingredients are always healthier than storebought, packaged foods that often contain preservatives and additives.
- Total Time:1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield:10 servings
Keywords: chicken pot pie with biscuits, chicken pot pie with biscuit crust, chicken pot pie recipe
Don’t Miss: Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Campbells
About This Skillet Meal Pot Pie
Our family of six boys loves pot pies, which is why we make them so often. You can’t have too many good recipes for pot pie, especially when they’re this easy, economical, and delicious.
I had my eye on this beautiful skillet meal for some time. It’s beyond easy to make and because I like potatoes in my pot pie, I decided to add a few.
The other reason that I added some spuds is because I love peeling and cutting potatoes. Weird right? For some reason, I find it relaxing. Don’t judge me.
Besides the weird thing about being able to slice potatoes , this recipe uses my favorite kitchen tool, the timeless cast-iron skillet. I got mine from Amazon which has a great selection of, cast iron skillets.
Why Make It With Biscuits
Making pot pie with biscuits instead of a pie crust is not only easier, it tastes better! You get the flaky, buttery goodness of biscuits in each bite.
Skip the Crust: Biscuits Turn Out Flaky Every Time
Instead of worrying whether or not your pie crust will turn out properly, simply place biscuits on top of your chicken pot pie.
Fluffy Biscuit in Every Bite
The biscuits add the same texture and flavor contrast as a traditional pie crust would, only better. The highlight of this meal is getting a bit of buttery biscuit in every bite.
Also Check: Pyrex Deep Dish Pie Plate
Shortcut Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
You only need 10 minutes to prepare a shortcut chicken pot pie with biscuits! This hearty casserole features chicken and vegetables in a creamy sauce, topped with golden brown buttermilk biscuits. Serve the simple comfort food classic with a side salad, a loaf of crusty bread, or a pan of cornbread for an easy weeknight dinner.
The Epic Comfort Of Chicken Pot Pie Any Night Of The Week
As hearty as the most labor-intensive of Sunday suppers, this super fast skillet chicken pot pie recipe is all bang, no buck. Our easy chicken pot pie recipe is ready in 30 minutes, and its even kind of healthy! Because this skillet pot pie recipe relies on whole milk instead of cream, and is loaded with lean chicken breast and vegetables like carrots, celery and peas, it definitely counts as a balanced meal. Sure, theres some butter in thereOK, a fair amount of butterso its not as light a rice bowl or dinner salad, but its a filling supper you can feel good about feeding your family. Especially on a dark and stormy night, when all you want is to fill those bellies with warmth and comfort.
Read Also: Dam Good Pies Fayetteville Ar