How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
Possibly our favorite comfort food of fall, this Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits is cozy, delicious and a such fun twist on traditional chicken pot pie. We take a classic creamy pot pie filling full of chicken, carrots, celery, and potatoes and stud it with sharp cheddar cheese and then top it off with fluffy, tender cheddar chive biscuits. Heaven in a casserole dish.
Make Buttermilk Biscuits Top And Bake
Follow my buttermilk biscuit dough recipe. The dough takes about 15-20 minutes to make. You should have about 9 biscuit dough rounds.
Then top the chicken pot pie filling with the biscuits and brush them with heavy cream. Brushing them with cream will help you get a deeper, golden brown color.
Bake at 425 degrees F for 18-20 minutes, until the biscuits have risen and turned golden brown. The filling should be bubbling.
Also Check: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Tips For Easy Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
- Use leftover chicken from Crock Pot Whole Chicken, Roasted Chicken or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken to make this pot pie super easy and quick. Leftover turkey is great too!
- Cut the potato into small bite size pieces, ½ inch cubes, so they are able to fully cook.
- Use cold butter and cold milk when making the biscuit dough, it helps keep them extra flakey.
- Don’t over mix the biscuit dough, you want them to be flakey not dense.
- Be sure to store the biscuit dough in the fridge until ready to add to the filling.
- Optional: brush heavy cream or melted butter over the top of the biscuits for extra golden color and crispiness.
- Use a deep oven safe skillet so there is no need to transfer to a casserole dish, and less dishes!
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Made With Biscuits Instead Of A Traditional Crust This Budget Meal Is Definitely A Family Favorite
I just love a good old fashioned chicken pot pie, especially during the colder months. Seriously, nothing screams comfort food like a homemade chicken pot pie. The hot creamy pie filling with juicy chicken meat, and mixed vegetables. It just doesnt get any better. I personally love all types of chicken pot pie. However, When I make chicken pot pies, I like to keep it easy. Instead of using crust, I prefer to make chicken pot pie with biscuits.
Yup biscuits. Preferably canned biscuits, because it takes less time. I also use cream of chicken soup & mixed vegetables for my chicken pot pie. Using these easy ingredients save me time, and money. So its a win, win!
this easy chicken pot pie with biscuits recipe is one of my family favorites. Although Its made with vegetables, I usually serve it with more veggies on the side.
How To Make Ahead
This chicken pot pie with biscuits is extremely make ahead friendly. You can make the biscuits and make the filling in advance and store them separately. *Do not assemble the whole pie and bake the next day because the filling will take longer to warm than the biscuits will to bake. Instead, warm the filling then top with biscuits:
- Filling: the chicken pot pie filling can be made and stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator 24 hours ahead of time. Warm in the skillet or oven when ready to finish baking the pot pie. Once completely warmed, you may need to add extra milk or chicken broth to thin to desired consistency. Assemble and bake the chicken pot pie as directed.
- Biscuits: the biscuits can be prepared completely 3 days in advance and tightly covered in the refrigerator then used as directed in the recipe. It is best to refrigerate the dough already cut into biscuits. Cut biscuits can also be frozen for up to 3 months then thawed overnight in the refrigerator before using in the recipe.
Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
See my guide on how to use an Instant Pot.
This chicken pot pie with biscuits is simple to make. Its filled with tender chicken and vegetables in a creamy sauce with soft, flaky biscuits on top. Make it with rotisserie chicken, leftover chicken or leftover turkey.
Chicken pot pie is a favorite comfort food that is so satisfying to make at home. You can make this chicken pot pie with biscuits in one pan, in just a few simple steps. The delicious result is a meal that will warm you from the inside out.
This recipe is perfect for using up leftover turkey after Thanksgiving. I made this pot pie with biscuits twice this week and its so good that Im looking forward to making it again after Thanksgiving!
Classic chicken pot pie is a savory pie made with a flaky pie crust. For this recipe were trading the pie crust for buttery, flaky biscuits. The biscuits are easier to make and you can spice them up with cheddar cheese and green onions if you are feeling adventurous!
Try this chicken pot pie with biscuits recipe and youll see that it is the best chicken pot pie.
Don’t Miss: The Profit Key Lime
Substitutions And Tips And Tricks For Recipe Success
- Again, when making the biscuits work with cold ingredients!
- Try making this with lobster or shrimp for a seafood version!
- Add any of your favorite veggies pearl onions, sweet potatoes, butternut squash would all be great additions.
- You can swap out the whole milk for low-fat milk, it wont be as creamy, but will still work!
- For glistening biscuits, brush the tops with egg wash.
- If you dont have fresh herbs on top, feel free to leave them off.
- If the biscuits start to brown a little bit too much, lower the dish to the bottom part of the oven,.
Just The Recipe To Cozy Up With
I think a large part of the reason I’m such a big fan of the fall and winter season is because I’m a snuggle bug through and through, and love to get cozy when the weather gets nice and cool.
For me, getting cozy is all about wrapping myself in my favorite blanket, and wrapping my hands around a hot bowl of home cooked food that is comforting, warming and perhaps slightly more decadent.
And if it’s brimming with lots of savory sauce, bits of veggies, a little meat, and lots of creamy flavor, it’s most certainly going to not only warm my belly, but sooth my soul as well.
Homemade chicken pot pie with biscuits is one of those classic recipes that is the epitome of that type of comfort food for me, made with love and good quality ingredients.
This is just the dish I’m craving as we move into the more festive, cooler months, making it one of my favorite meals to simmer up, top with homemade drop biscuits, bake, and spoon out of a pie dish into my waiting bowl!
Recommended Reading: The Key Lime Pie Company
Can I Use Store Bought Biscuits
Yes, you can absolutely use store bought biscuits on nights youre running extra low on time or energy, but I highly encourage you to try homemade biscuits at least once. The homemade biscuits are very easy and only take a few extra minutes if you have a food processor.
The trick to using store-bought biscuits is to par-cook them and use the correct biscuits. If you try and bake the biscuits 100% on the pot pie, the bottoms will be extra soggy.
Other Comforting Winter Dishes
- Our Broccoli Cheddar Mac and Cheesee is the ultimate comfort food. Plus it tastes just like Paneras Broccoli Cheddar Soup in pasta form!
- Homestyle Chicken Noodle Soup is probably my favorite thing to eat on a cold fall or winter day. Plus, it comes together in no time.
- Stuffed Pasta Shells is another comforting dish we cant get enough of!
Don’t Miss: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
Tips For Making Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
- If you dont have an oven-safe pan, you can make the pot pie filling in a skillet or pot on the stove and then transfer it to a casserole dish to bake.
- Make a vegetarian pot pie by substituting 2 cups of sliced cremini mushrooms or chopped potatoes for the chicken. Add these along with the other veggies so they have time to soften.Use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth.
- This recipe is great for using up leftover cooked chicken or turkey. I always make it after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey.
- When making biscuits, its important to keep the butter cold. Start with cold butter and chill the biscuit dough if you make it ahead of time.
- For extra flavor, stir some shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions into the biscuit dough.
Chicken And Biscuits Pot Pie
Chicken and biscuits pot pie? Biscuits atop your pot pie? Why yes. Yes indeed! Make them from scratch or use canned biscuits. It doesnt matter! This chicken pot pie recipe is just a genius way to up your pot pie game!
Its Election Day and my nerves are completely shot.
Ive been wishing this day would come for what seems like forever with the hope that the ridiculously smug TV political ads would end soon.
We have a hot Senate seat up for grabs here in CT and its been a contentious race between the businesswoman wife of the CEO of WWE and our current Senator.
Its been an odd few months of commercials to say the least.
So this chicken pot pie is a nerve-soother. It will make you forget about the political jargon, the Quinnipiac polls, and the personal attacks.
Its really just a superb recipe for a hearty and homey chicken pot pie casserole topped with flaky buttermilk biscuits instead of pie dough. And to be honest, from here on out Im nixing pie dough as my pot pie topper.
Not that theres been anything wrong with my previous chicken pot pies! But why fuss with pie dough when you can make a bunch of biscuits and avoid all of that chilling and rolling? Especially on a weeknight!
Plus? Come on were talking biscuits here. BISCUITS. Buttery, flaky biscuits!
This chicken pot pie with biscuits has become my kryponite. It makes me weak in the knees! I never thought a chicken pot pie casserole could do this to me!
Read Also: Wings And Pies New London
Did You Like This Recipe Here Are A Few Others You Might Enjoy:
Thank you so much for following along here, friends! Want to see more? Be sure to follow and tag me with your photo if you end up making a recipe! You can also post a photo of your recipe to the! Like a recipe that you saw? Follow me on Pinterest here! I always love to see your re-creations! If you do make a recipe, it would make my whole day if you were to rate and comment so I can get your feedback! Lots of love! Haylie
Ingredient Chicken Pot Pies With Biscuits
Check out these super quick and easy chicken pot pies with biscuits. A pot pie muffin that is loaded with veggies, diced chicken and a creamy base. Bake these biscuit pot pies up till golden brown and serve.
This is a great rotisserie chicken recipe to use up leftover chicken. A quick throw together dinner that kids and adults will enjoy.
This chicken pot pie recipe with biscuits can also be made with crescent rolls as well. Feel free to play around and see which you like best.
Don’t Miss: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
This chicken pot pie with biscuits is very simple to make, so please dont be intimidated by the lengthy instructions! Ive included detailed step by step instructions so eliminate any questions and to detail how to make biscuits both with and without a food processor.
We want to start off by making the biscuits first so they can chill in the refrigerator while we make the filling because cold biscuits means cold butter which bake up fluffier. If you are using store-bought biscuits, youll -skip to par-cooking the biscuits for 10 minutes while you make the filling.
How To Make The Best Homemade Biscuits
Making really great homemade biscuits isnt hard, but there are some things you need to keep in mind.
- Fold the dough over itself to create flaky layers. This goes against what I used to think about biscuits in that the less you handle it, the better. However, Ive found that when you continue to fold the dough over itself, the result is tall, layered biscuits that are irresistible!
- Use cold ingredients! The shortening doesnt need to be cold, but the butter and buttermilk do. I like to cut my butter in to cubes, separate them and then place them back in the fridge while I measure the dry ingredients and shred the cheese.
- Be quick! When using your biscuit cutter, go straight down and straight up. If you twist the dough, you may end up with lopsided biscuits.
- Use plenty of flour. Dust the biscuit cutter with plenty of flour to avoid sticking.
Read Also: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
How To Make The Filling:
Storing/freezing Tips Serving Recommendations
- How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge? Once fully cooked, these chicken pot pie biscuits will last in your fridge for up to five days. Though, be warned: the longer the leftovers sit, the more the biscuits will lose their structure by soaking up that yummy sauce.
- Can You Freeze This? Despite the dairy content, yes, you can freeze chicken pot pies! Thoroughly cool your baked pie and properly seal it , and you can store your chicken pot pie for up to six months in the freezer.
- Make-Ahead Tips: The best way to accelerate your cooking time is to make the filling and refrigerate it until you need it. The prepped chicken pot pie filling will last in the fridge for up to five days. Youll want to reheat your filling before you finish out the recipe though so it goes into the oven ready to bake! Either pop it in the microwave for a few minutes, until just close to bubbling or stir it on a stovetop skillet.
Don’t Miss: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery