Chicken Pot Pie Shortcuts
Speaking of shortcuts, this pie also leans on a can of Campbells Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup. The can of soup does a few things here: it adds creaminess it adds flavor it thickens the pie filling and it saves you time, since instead of making a mushroom stock you can lean on a can of flavorful condensed soup.
This chicken pot pie is like a cross section of real life. The cooked chicken can be homemade, or from a purchased rotisserie chicken. Some of the vegetables are fresh, others can come from the freezer aisle. The rosemary can be fresh or dried. The puff pastry crust is store-bought. And the resulting pot pie is all yours.
So, for those of you who are happy that chicken pot pie is back in style, and for those of you who never realized it was ever out of vogue, make one of these and see how this old school favorite goes over with your family.
Chicken Pot Pie: This chicken pot pie with a puff pastry crust is creamy and delicious, and relies on a few smart shortcuts.
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a 9-inch deep dish pie pan or similar sized baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium high heat. Sauté the leeks for 5 minutes, until tender.
Ingredient Tips For How To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie
What makes this recipe so easy? When in a time crunch, using store-bought ingredients not only saves a lot of time, but it also tastes delicious.
Such an easy recipe! And I know you will add it to your weekly meal plan rotation!
Be sure to scroll down for your printable shopping list so you will have all the ingredients for this classic chicken pot pie with cream of chicken soup!
Small Chicken And Stuffing Cups
Delight your loved ones using these scrumptious small chicken and stuffing cups baked inside a muffin-pan! Each is stuffed with a wonderful mixture of chicken, stuffing, cream of chicken soup, Cheddar cheese and cranberry sauce. You won& #39t have the ability to resist the incredible flavor, and on top of that, they& #39re up for grabs in only 40 minutes!
Recipe by Campbell& #39s Kitchen
You May Like: Sweetie Pie Tea For Sale Online
Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
This homemade chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food! Packed with juicy chicken, vegetables, a creamy sauce and topped with a flaky, golden pie crust.
Best of all the entire meal can be prepped in just 10 minutes! After that, simply pop it in the oven and youve got classic comfort food for the whole family.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Sheets
There’s no limit to what you can do. Strudels and fruit flans, pot pies, Wellingtons and quiche. You are limited only by your imagination.
Sprinkle each pot pie with 1/2 tsp parsley before serving.
heaping 1 cup
A good chicken pot pie never goes out of style. Served in a mini cast iron skillet, this pie will be a top seller.
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Fresh Peach Pie
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
Add the garlic, carrots, mushrooms, and rosemary, season with salt and pepper, and sauté for about 8 minutes, until the vegetables become tender and lightly golden brown.
Then stir in the flour, and continue to stir and cook for another 2 minutes until the flour gets a bit toasted.
Add the Campbells Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup and water, stir, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for about 3 minutes until the mixture has thickened a bit.
Add the peas, pearl onions and chicken, and return the mixture to a simmer. Stir in the parsley.
Turn the mixture into the pie pan.
Roll out the puff pastry dough slightly on a lightly floured surface.
Place the puff pastry over the filling.
Trim off the corners if they hang below the bottom of the pan.
Brush the top of the pastry with the beaten egg and use a sharp knife to make several slits in the crust so steam can escape.
Bake for 20 to 30 minutes until the crust is golden brown and everything is bubbly.
Let the pie sit for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
This post is in partnership with Campbells. All opinions are my own.
Its always a little bit strange when people talk about food coming back into fashion, and I hadnt realized that the dish was out of fashion at any point to begin with. Case in point: chicken pot pie. You hear words like retro and nostalgia food being used to describe it, but in many kitchens throughout the land, including mine, we never stopped making them.
Recommended Reading: How To Make A Pie Chart In Google Docs
How To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a very easy chicken pot pie recipe full of tender chicken, vegetables, cream of chicken soup, and flaky crust. Make this a quick meal to serve your family during the week.
Maybe you have been doing yard clean up all day and you’re looking for a cozy weekend meal to enjoy with a salad and glass of wine. This recipe is for you.
Easiest Chicken Pot Pie Crust
Maybe you have been doing yard clean up all day and you’re looking for a cozy weekend meal to enjoy with a salad and glass of wine.
When the clock says 3 o’clock, and dinner plans are not finalized, a run to the grocery store is a must.
Quick tips for this easy recipe if you are pressed for time:
- Pick up a couple of fresh rotisserie chickens in the deli department. This is always my already cooked protein of choice, and I can use the leftover carcass to make a nice bone broth or soup.
- and a Pillsbury Pie Crust.
I know- you are probably going to ask Kelly, why don’t I make everything from scratch?! and I will say because your family is going to be hungry in an hour!
I can be a purist when it comes to pie crust, but when pressed for time, store-bought pie crust is the way to go.
Also Check: Hershey’s Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
Can You Make Chicken Pot Pie From Scratch
Can you make chicken pot pie from scratch? Of course! You can’t beat using the perfect roasted chicken with homemade crust and creamy gravy filling.
But, sometimes it’s okay to use soup in chicken pot pie.
When it comes to crunching time, throwing together the essential ingredients, even if they are store-bought, still has a very tasty outcome.
Have turkey leftovers? Try our Turkey Pot Pie recipe for a great way to use up all the big meal leftovers!
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
This question comes up a lot and the answer is yes! The best way to achieve this is to prepare your chicken pot pie up to the point before baking.
and place in the freezer for up to 1 month.
Freezing Tip: On top of the foil, write baking time and temperature in sharpie marker and the date you froze your dish.
before baking. Place frozen pie on a sheet pan and bake for 20-30 minutes longer than fresh bake.
Be sure the center is bubbling and crust is baked before removing.
Recommended Reading: Shepherd’s Pie With Cream Of Mushroom Soup
Easy Chicken Enchiladas From Campbell’s Kitchen
Mexican night is created easy using these simple enchiladas which are ready in only half an hour. Mexican-style tomato soup, cooked chicken and Colby Jack cheese combine to create a tasty filling for decent flour tortillas. Baked until hot and bubbling, these cheesy chicken enchiladas are certain to earn rave reviews.
Recipe by Campbell& #39s Kitchen
The Best Fall Comfort Foods
This easy chicken pot pie recipe is one I keep handy for days where time seems to pass faster than I realize and need to get dinner started quickly.
You May Like: Urban Pie Cedar Falls Ia
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- 1 10 oz. can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 1/2 cups shredded roasted chicken
- 1/2 cup water, or chicken broth
- garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
To ensure your potpie cooks evenly, be sure to preheat your oven to 425 degrees. This will make this dish cook thoroughly and create that golden flaky crust!
Next, you will place 1 pie crust sheet that has been defrosted for 15 minutes in the bottom of the 9-inch pie plate. Set this aside so it is ready to pour your filling.
Now, over medium heat, melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Add onions and cook uncovered until soft and translucent. This should take about 5 minutes or so.
Add soup and water , and stir until hot and a little bubbly. I like to use a wooden spoon for this cooking step because it is better for the pan and also makes me feel like I am cooking a homemade meal!
This recipe uses one bag of frozen mixed vegetables and now is the step to add them to your saucepan. Stir to incorporate into the soup mixture until nice hot.
There is nothing easier or quicker for a hearty meal than grabbing a rotisserie chicken at the store. I throw one of these in my shopping cart at least once a week to save time.
In this instance, I just shred up the meat and add it to the pot with spices and simmer it until it starts to bubble.
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie
I know I said that chicken pot pie is by itself a complete meal, but why not transform this simple dinner into a lip-smackingly good feast. There are many flavors that go well with this dish, you will never run out of things to pair it with. Here are some of my favorite options:
- Cranberry sauce gives this meal a Thanksgiving feel anytime of year. But Im not talking about that dreadful stuff from the can. You can whip up fresh, homemade cranberry sauce in no time.
Combine 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Add in the cranberries and cook until the cranberries start to pop. Generally takes about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour the cranberry sauce in a bowl. Will thicken as it cools. Add a few pinches of cinnamon for an extra tasty combo.
- A light salad is a nice way to counter-balance the richness of the pie. Your choice of leafy greens topped with citrus oranges and berries, rich cheese, crunchy nuts, and drizzled with tangy balsamic vinaigrette makes a spectacular side to your chicken pot pie.
- Roasted broccoli is another side that will lighten up your heavy main dish. Give these veggies some extra flavor by coating it with olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
- Sweet potatoes give a nice contrast to your savory dinner. Flavor it with cinnamon, butter, and your choice of seasonings and bake. Simple and delicious.
Don’t Miss: Milk Bar Pie Crack Pie
Substitutions And Serving Size
My family felt that using the cream of chicken soup made the flavour “too chickeny”, so I substitute a can of cream of celery soup. I also added salt & pepper to taste and about 1 tbsp each of oregano and parsley. We eliminated the cheese altogether. The suggested serving size would only be accurate for toddlers or as an appetizer. Using a common refigerated biscuit dough, the recipe does indeed make 10 mini pot-pies, however a grown person would likely want 3-4, plus a side salad. Kids would eat about 2-3. With the substitutions above, we make this on a regular basis.
Erin B. | August 3, 2017
Was this helpful?
Tips For Making The Best Chicken Pot Pie
- Instead of just one, you can also double the crust such that your pie has one on top and one at the bottom. It will give your pie an additional layer of bread that will soak up the sauce nicely. Double the crust, double the goodness!
- To save time, you can always use a store-bought crust. Guilty as charged.
- Make your pie even richer and more delectable by adding ¾ cup of cheddar cheese. Its amazing how one ingredient can transform an entire meal!
- For an even heartier filling, add some cubed potatoes. Save yourself the trouble of slicing by using frozen country-style hash browns. Adding corn, celery, and broccoli also gives the pie an excellent flavor.
- Make the sauce even more flavorful by adding some cooked onion, garlic powder, parsley, rosemary, thyme, Italian herbs, salt, and pepper. These common pantry seasonings make for an out-of-this-world gravy!
- People normally use leftover chicken for their chicken pot pie, but if do not have any, you can use shredded rotisserie chicken instead. Plus, its an easy way to save time.
- Just because the recipe has chicken in its name does not mean you should only limit yourself to that protein. You can use leftover turkey to make this dish, as well!
- Speaking of modifications, here is a great way to give your pie an earthy flavor: add some mushrooms to the filling!
- Brush the top crust with some egg wash for a golden brown pie.
Read Also: Deep Dish Glass Pie Pan