How To Freeze Sweet Potato Pie
I usually bake my pies in aluminum pie pans, especially if I am using a frozen crust. This makes it super easy to freeze the pie. Once the pie has cooled, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then in foilplace in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let the pie thaw in the refrigerator before serving.
cooked and mashed sweet potatoesmelted butter
vanilla flavoring2 9 deep dish pie crusts/ or 2 regular pie crusts
Cook sweet potatoes and drain well. Mash. Add potatoes to an electric stand mixer and beat until fluffy. Add melted butter, sugar, eggs, milk, and vanilla. Mix well. Place pie crust on a baking sheet. Add 2 cups of mix to each pie crust. Bake at 325 degrees for 40-45 minutes.*All ovens cook differently. Start checking on your pies after 30 minutes. If it slightly jiggles slightly in the middle, its done. If it sloshes, put it back into the oven for several more minutes.
If you are looking for some delicious sides for your holiday table, Ive got you covered. 23 Southern Side Dishes for Thanksgiving will have something for everyone at the table. So many delicious sides that are all easy to make and delicious to eat.
Needing a good Stuffing recipe? Check out my Sausage Stuffing with Cranberries and Apples. It was featured in Lake Martin Living Magazine.
What Are The Ingredients In A Southern Sweet Potato Pie
Not all sweet potato pies are made the same. Yes, all of them contain the basic ingredients of the old-fashioned sweet potato pie recipe but a few show slight variations , as you can see below:
- Sweet potatoes: Make sure to wash and pat dry the sweet potatoes before pricking them all over with a fork and baking them until tender. This will allow you to mash them in order to prepare the creamy filling. Some prefer to boil them but I dont recommend it. Why? If you boil them they will take on too much water, making the filling soggy.
- Butter: Use melted unsalted butter. Choosing a good-quality butter will make your pie taste much better. It is real butter without water.
- Brown sugar It will give the pie a warm sweet flavor that granulated sugar cant offer.
- Eggs Use whole eggs, at room temperature. Beat them, one at a time, just until combined, but do not overmix them otherwise, your pie may crack.
- Dairy Use evaporated milk. But you can easily replace it with either whole milk or 2% milk, although you will have to increase the amount. For each cup of evaporated milk, use 1 cups of whole milk or 2% milk .
- Flavorings I used freshly ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg, and also ground ginger plus pure vanilla extract and salt. But there are people that add pumpkin pie spice instead.
- Pie crust I used a store-bought pie crust instead of a homemade pie crust, cutting down the prep time. But you can prepare your own pie crust from scratch. Its all up to you!
Assemble And Bake The Pie:
Pour the filling into the prepared crust and set on a baking sheet.
Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 375 degrees F, then reduce the heat to 325 degrees F and continue baking until cooked through about 50 minutes. The center should jiggle slightly when you shake it.
Check the pie during baking. If the crust is browning too quickly, place a pie crust shield on the edges and continue baking as directed. When the pie is ready, remove, and let cool completely.
Recommended Reading: Bisquick Impossible Chicken Pie
The Best Sweet Potato Pie Topping
. Since I cant let well enough alone, I topped the pie with a fluffy cloud of marshmallow whipped cream. Its creamy, puffy, not-too-sweet, and puts marshmallows where they belong: on dessert.
- Fans of the marshmallow-topped sweet potato casserole: I dont get the hype but to each their own.
- Check out my Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole for my take on this classic Thanksgiving recipe. You can top it with marshmallows if you must just dont tell me.
Toasted Coconut. Last, since Im a bit of a texture freak, I couldnt resist adding a little crunch. Toasted coconut flakes, while optional, put this pie squarely over the top.
Not a coconut fan but craving texture? Try topping your sweet potato pie with toasted pecans.
Pie Crust For Sweet Potato Pie:
- You can use a homemade or store-bought pie crust. Baked or unbaked.
- For a homemade crust, check out my all-butter, flaky pie crust with step-by-step photos.
- Place the unbaked pie crust in the freezer while you prepare the filling, it will help to hold its shape better.
- As an optional step, you can prebake the crust to prevent sogginess. Follow the directions in my Flaky Pie Crust post.
Recommended Reading: Campbell’s Creamy Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
Brown Sugar Pie Crust
So, what sets this pie apart from the rest? This sweet potato pie has a thin layer of brown sugar on the bottom crust. This black bottom doesnt just add a caramelized flavor but it also helps keep the filling from making the crust soggy.
This genius hack makes this recipe super unique and extra sweet!
Sweet Potato Pie With Graham Cracker Crust
This easy recipe is simple to follow and the results are fantastic. Better than store bought, we have the absolute best sweet potato pie recipe for you to try.
This pie has the perfect blend of spices and each bite is rich and delicious. You and your family will love it.
I love sweet potatoes and this pie really allows for the main ingredient to shine. The spices are simple yet delicious. You will not find anything overpowering in this recipe.
Have you tried sweet potato pies in the past that just had too much going on? I did not like other recipes I have tried.
I want to be able to taste the sweet potato. So we took all the work out of this for you and made it easy. We have the perfect blend of everything to make this pie a crowd favorite.
You May Like: The Profit Key Lime Pie
Quick And Easy Sweet Potato Pie
I knowmore sweet potatoes! But I love them and I almost always have extras. Right after Thanksgiving, our friends invited us over and while the guys went hiking in the desert and the kids played outside my friend and I ate and played around with some recipes. Lucky for me, she saved me a piece of her Easy Sweet Potato Pie.
It was wonderful! I begged her for the recipe . The pie has the same consistency as pumpkin pie, but the taste is so much better .
This sweet potato pie recipe with evaporated milk is from my best friend Janice, who write at Celebrating Family. She makes it every year for Thanksgiving and Christmas and Im always excited when she brings me a piece.
Southern Sweet Potato Pie
Sweet Potato Pie is a delicious southern classic and one of my favorite pie recipes! Its simple, creamy and delicious and is absolutely perfect in the fall or anytime! This pie recipe is a family recipe passed down from my great grandmother. Its a favorite at family suppers during the fall and has always been a part of my familys Thanksgiving dessert table!
Recommended Reading: Campbell’s Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
Sweet Potato Pie Vs Pumpkin Pie
So, what is the difference between sweet potato pie and pumpkin pie? The two pies are very similar, calling for ingredients such as eggs, condensed or evaporated milk, and fall spices like nutmeg and cinnamon .
Obviously, one pie uses pumpkin puree while the other uses mashed sweet potatoes. The textures are also similar but you will likely find that this recipe has a bit more texture and a more naturally sweet flavor than its pumpkin pie relative.
How To Tell When It’s Done
A sweet potato pie has a pretty unique texture due to the starch in the sweet potatoes. However, this is a custard pie, so you need to pay special attention to avoid over-baking it. Over-baking the pie will result in large cracks in the filling, and if it’s over-baked, it could curdle.
A sweet potato pie is done when the outer edges of the filling about 2″ of the way in is set . The middle will still be slightly wobbly.
The pie will continue to set as it cools.
If you do crack your filling, it’s not the end of the world! It’s nothing a little whipped cream can’t cover.
Don’t Miss: Bisquick Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Let’s Talk Sweet Potatoes
There are a lot of different varieties of sweet potatoes out there. This recipe is based on a traditional southern pie, so stick with the traditional sweet potato with the reddish skin and orange flesh. The three most common varieties, listed in order of preference, are:
- Garnet sweet potato
- Jewel sweet potato
- Beauregard sweet potato
This recipe calls for roasting sweet potatoes. This is the most time-consuming method of cooking sweet potatoes, but it’s worth it. It takes roughly an hour at 400 degrees to roast medium to large sweet potatoes.
This recipe calls for roasting them instead of boiling them because it results in the most flavorful and sweet puree. Roasting the sweet potato concentrates the flavor by evaporating the liquid and creating a nuanced flavor.
If you prefer to skip this step and boil the sweet potatoes, the recipe will still work but will be a little less flavorful. You could also theoretically use canned sweet potatoes, but I’ve never made it that way myself, so I’m not sure how much the flavor will change from the original intention of the recipe.
Recommended Reading: Impossible Chicken Pot Pie Bisquick
Tips For Making Southern Sweet Potato Pie:
- I love to use this Flaky Pie Crust recipe, but a store-bought pie crust or your favorite homemade one is just fine.
- Youll need 1 cup of mashed sweet potato for this recipe. I bake a few medium to large sweet potatoes until they are very soft. Let them cool and then peel the skin off. Hand mash them really well.
- Instead of baking them, you could peel the sweet potatoes, cube them, and boil them in water until soft, but I find they have better flavor if you bake them.
- This pie is done when it jiggles in the center just slightly when you shake it.
- Can be served chilled or at room temperature.
Create A Free Account To Save Recipes
VARIATIONS ON SWEET POTATO PIE
- Sweetener: You can replace the white sugar in the Sweet Potato Pie recipe with brown sugar. Use the same amount of brown sugar as you would granulated sugar for the recipe.
- Spices: You can add more warm baking spices to the recipe like Pumpkin Pie Spice, ginger, allspice, cloves, and cardamom.
- Nuts: For some extra texture try adding pecans, almonds, walnuts, cashews, or hazelnuts to the top of the pie to give it a nice crunch.
MORE CLASSIC HOLIDAY DESSERTS
You May Like: Hardee’s Apple Pie
A Delicious Sweet Potato Dessert
Sweet potato desserts are absolutely amazing and I love swapping out traditional pumpkin with sweet potato. Sweet potato pie seems to be more popular in the south however, my northern family members have definitely been converted after eating this pie! This particular Sweet Potato Pie recipe is one that has been perfected over the years to get the spices just right. In addition, I’ve also started making it easier by microwaving the sweet potatoes rather than boiling or baking them. Also, if you enjoy pumpkin pie then you will certainly enjoy this pie since the texture and spices are similar. If you are looking for that flavorful dessert to impress your guests this year, then you need to make this Sweet Potato Pie recipe.
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Pie
Since the sweet potato filling is naturally gluten free, all you need to worry about is the crust. You have several options:
- Make the crust with gluten-free flour such as Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour or King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour
- A pre-made gluten free crust,
- a cookie crumb crust made with gluten-free cookie crumbs
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
Expert Tips And Tricks For The Perfect Sweet Potato Pie Every Time
- Boil the potatoes whole with skins on. Making a Southern sweet potato pie recipe so much easier to mash them into the pie when you can just peel the skins right off like butter.
- Make sure your butter softens. Honestly, this will incorporate way better into the sweet potatoes this way.
- Be patient. This pie needs to cool first or it will ooze everywhere.
- You can have fun with the topping. Decorate it your way by covering the whole top or adding dollops. This is all part of the fun!
Doing the yam thing!
How To Make A Homemade Sweet Potato Pie From Scratch
Dont be intimidated by the idea of baking homemade sweet potato pie its simpler to make than youd think. Youll need to make a homemade crust, which is probably the hardest, most time consuming part but with practice it gets easier.
Still unsure? Watch my step by step video on how to make the best pie crust ever!
Heres what youre gonna need to do to make the creamiest, butteriest sweet potato pie ever:
- MAKE THE FILLING Once the crust has been prepared, use an electric mixer on low speed to mix the mashed sweet potatoes, melted butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, half-and-half, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- ADD FILLING TO PIE Keep going until the filling is smooth. Spread into the partially baked pie shell, smoothing the top.
- BAKE, COOL, AND SERVE- Carefully transfer the pie into the oven. Bake for about 90 minutes, or until the center of the filling comes back clean. Remove from the oven and set it on a wire rack to cool completely. Cover and refrigerate whenever youre not serving it.
Read Also: Popeyes Apple Pie Recipe