What Would You Serve With A Chicken Pot Pie
Personally I feel like it is a complete meal, done!
But if you really want to have some sort of side dish that isnt included already inside here are a few ideas off the top of my head.
A Thick And Creamy Filling
The ideal consistency of your filling when you’re cooking it on the stovetop and before going into the pot pies should be creamy and thickened. It will thicken a little more in the oven as the pot pies bake, so at this point, you want it to be slightly less thick than the finished dish.
If at this point your filling seems soupy, like heavy cream, let it simmer until it thickens up enough coat the back of a wooden spoon. If it seems like it’s not thickening up as fast as you like, scoop out about 1/4 cup of the sauce, whisk in a tablespoon or two of flour until no more lumps remain, and then whisk this mixture into the skillet.
If it seems like the filling thickened up too much and it starting to seem stiff, then whisk in a little broth or water to thin it out again.
How Do I Prevent A Potpie Crust From Getting Soggy
- For a single-crust pie, prebake the crust before filling.
- Brush the crust with a beaten egg white. This will help seal the crust and prevent the liquid filling from absorbing into the crust.
- Pour the filling into the crust while its still hot and immediately place the potpie in the oven. The heat from the filling will help set the crust.
- Bake the pie on a lower rack in the oven. Since heat is concentrated at the bottom, placing the potpie on the lowest rack ensures the bottom of the crust will bake up crisp and golden brown.
Read Also: The Profit Key Lime Pie
Frozen Food Made By People Who Love Food
Ipsa is a new kind of frozen food company started by two longtime food professionals dedicated to changing howand whatpeople eat at home.
In search of a way to put a civilized meal on our dinner tables with minimal effort, we stumbled into an old friend that had been sitting there the whole time, quietly minding its own business: our freezer.
Ingredients For Chicken Pot Pie:
A chicken pot pie is a meal in itself loaded with vegetables and protein. The high quality ingredients and generous filling really differentiates this from the ones youll find in the freezer section. Once you try homemade, theres no going back. This also requires simple ingredients:
- Double Pie Crust Youll need two pie disks for the top and bottom.
- Chicken Use shredded cooked chicken from a rotisserie chicken or cook your own chicken breasts.
- Butter & Flour These make the roux or base for the gravy sauce
- Onion, Carrots, Mushrooms, & Peas this is loaded with vegetables
- Garlic and Parsley These aromatics and simple salt and pepper balance this savory pie.
- Chicken Stock& Cream form the creamy gravy sauce
Also Check: Key Lime Pie Delivery From Key West
Best Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe is made completely from scratch and is the best chicken pot pie you’ll ever eat. A delicious filling made with a from-scratch sauce is nestled between two layers of flaky, buttery homemade pie crust for a meal your entire family will love.
Is there a more classic, cozy, fall meal than Chicken Pot Pie ? This homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe is made completely from scratch and is the best chicken pot pie you’ll ever eat.
I often find chicken pot pie recipes with lots of processed ingredients – but not this from scratch version! You’ll never used condensed soups or buy a frozen pot pie again after trying this homemade chicken pot pie!
The delicious filling is thick and made with a from-scratch sauce that is never runny! And it’s all enveloped in a homemade double layer pie crust that is flaky and buttery, a meal your entire family will love!
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie is classic comfort food and will warm you up. Its a show-stopping dish with a flaky Pie Crust, filled with saucy chicken and vegetables.
If youve never tried a homemade savory pot pie, you are in for a treat. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Recommended Reading: Sonic Coconut Cream Pie Shake 2021
Tips For Making Chicken Pot Pie
This is a pretty straight forward recipe, especially when made you make individual Chicken Pot Pies like Ive done. I only have 2 tips to ensure you nail The Pot every single time:
Thicken filling to desired consistency before putting it in the pots. The sauce wont thicken at all once the lid is on. So keep cooking until the sauce is a nice creamy consistency and not watery. Nobody likes a watery pie filling!
Cool filling before topping with puff pastry. Hot filling = melts butter in pastry that creates layers = less puff.
That moment with this Chicken Pot Pie comes out of the oven, all golden and puffed up, and you know that under that buttery lid the creamy filling is bubbling away with the tender chicken and the vegetables and it just smells so amazing
.and THEN you crack through that almost impossibly flaky crispy puff pastry to reveal the piping hot creamy filling, and you blow furiously on it, trying to cool it down as quickly as you can so you can shovel a huge spoonful in your mouth without giving yourself 2nd degree burns.
I shouldnt even joke about that. Ive lost count of the number of times Ive burned my mouth with Chicken Pot Pie. Nagi x
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Make a foil collar to protect the edges of the pastry from overbrowning. Place strips of foil to cover crust during the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking.
- tip 2 A standard 9-inch glass pie plate works best for this recipe.
- tip 3 The only complicated part of making a pot pie is the pastry. By using a refrigerated dough youre left with making a quick, savory gravy that can be filled with leftover cooked chicken, turkey, or ham and a good handful of veggies. A dash of poultry seasoning or some finely chopped fresh sage will enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- tip 4 To Make Chicken Filling Ahead: prepare as directed in recipe. Spoon into airtight container cover. Refrigerate up to 1 day. To bake, pour filling into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
- tip 5 To Freeze Chicken Filling: prepare as directed in recipe. Cool, uncovered in refrigerator 30 minutes. Spoon mixture into 1-gallon freezer food storage plastic bag, leaving 1/2 to 1-inch at top of bag for expansion seal. Freeze up to 1 month. To bake, thaw mixture overnight in refrigerator. Pour into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
Recommended Reading: Bean Pie My Brother
What Is Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Pot pie soup is basically chicken pot pie filling with a little extra milk and broth that turns it into a super creamy and rich soup.
And where a whole pot pie is going to set you back a couple hours between making the dough, chilling it, and baking the pie, this soup can be on your table in less than half that time.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Crust. See notes on this All Butter Pie Crust Recipe for substitutions on the crust ingredients.
- Cooked chicken breasts. I most often use diced rotisserie chicken. You can use leftover grilled chicken, shred chicken in the crockpot or on the stovetop . You can also use leftover turkey after Thanksgiving!
- Red potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes are a great substitute if you don’t have red potatoes.
- Carrots, Celery, Peas, Corn. You can add or subtract just about any of the veggies in this recipe and use your favorites with great results.
- Better Than Bouillon. This is a pretty important ingredient in this chicken pot pie recipe. It is my favorite chicken base and imparts the best flavor. You can use another brand or bouillon cubes or chicken broth/stock, but be warned it won’t taste exactly the same.
- 2% milk. Whole or 1% milk work well, I do not recommend using fat-free milk.
- All-purpose flour. You can sub gluten-free all-purpose flour if desired. Also bread flour works well in a pinch.
- Egg Wash. Optional but recommended. You can use just an egg yolk or just cream if desired, but I find a combination works the best.
Also Check: Bean Pie Meme
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Now let’s chat about the filling. It’s a simple made-from-scratch mixture of diced or shredded chicken, celery, onion, peas, and carrots, all in a creamy white sauce that’s thickened with a roux. I use frozen peas, but if peas aren’t your thing, you can substitute with ½ cup of any vegetables that you like .
Youll need a total of about 4 cups of cooked, shredded or diced chicken for this recipe, and a variety of options will work. Pick the most convenient method for you:
- Rotisserie Chicken: This is a great shortcut! Purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat, and use in the recipe as instructed. This is my preference, since the rotisserie chicken also adds great flavor to the dish.
- Boiled and Pulled Chicken: Boil about 2 lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breast or thighs until cooked through . When cool enough to handle, chop or pull the chicken.
- Leftover Chicken: If you have leftover grilled or baked chicken from a previous meal, put those extras to good use in this dish.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
For the filling you will want to cut up some precooked chicken.
I usually make this recipe with a rotisserie chicken from the store, or use leftover chicken from the night before.
I add diced onion and sometimes some minced garlic too to almost everything. Of course this is up to you and your taste buds.
This time I used leftover chicken baked the night before. There was 2 1/2 cups left which was perfect to make the insides hearty.
Honestly, you can use chicken breasts too if you prefer dark meat. Heck, it would be great with leftover turkey too.
This is how to make this easy chicken pot pie yall!
The only real prep necessary is dicing your meat. Beyond that it is just throwing it all in to make your filling and pieing it up.
- Start with a medium to large saute pan. Add your olive oil or some butter to it and let it heat up.
Add your diced onion and allow to soften, then add minced garlic and all of your herbs/seasonings, heat.
- Stir in flour now so you can create a thickening roux.
Don’t Miss: Campbells Chicken Pot Pie Sauce
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Variations
- If you don’t want to use the store-bought pie crust, you can prepare your own homemade pie crust to use with this recipe.
- Top the pot piewith puff pastry instead of pie crust by following these instructions.
- For an old fashioned chicken pot pie with a double crust , follow these instructions.
- Use leftover turkey instead of chicken.
- Add different vegetables to the filling, such as frozen mixed vegetables, frozen corn kernels, or crisp-tender steamed broccoli.
- Season the filling with fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, parsley, oregano, rosemary, or chives. Garlic powder would also be a great addition.
- Brush the top of the crust with an egg wash for an even deeper brown color and a bit of shine.
- Turn this recipe into individual chicken pot pies! You can divide the filling evenly among individual ramekins or oven-proof bowls and cut the pie crust to fit over each smaller dish. You may need to use 2 pie crusts, since you are cutting the dough and will likely have some waste from the scraps. The baking time will remain about the same.
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
If you are looking for an old fashioned, traditional chicken pot pie, made from a whole chicken, freshly cut vegetables, and a flaky homemade crust, this is it!
This chicken pot pie recipe is also known as “Mrs. Hering’s Chicken Pot Pie” in the , from the famed Chicago . First introduced to customers in 1890, it was this Marshall’s chicken pot pie that launched the dish into our national consciousness.
Don’t Miss: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Ar
Still Searching For What To Cook
- 1/4 cupAll purpose flour
- 2 Chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoonPoultry seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cupsCubed chicken cooked
- 2 unbaked pie crusts
1. Preheat oven to 400 F
2. Cook vegetables until tender and set aside.
3. In a large pot melt butter and then add flour stirring constantly for 2 minutes.
4. Dissolve chicken bouillon in hot water and add to melted butter mixture.
5. Add milk and seasonings.
6. Cook until it thickens and add meat and vegetables.
7. Cover bottom of a 9 inch pie plate with one of the pie crusts.
8. Pour mixture into the 9 inch pie plate.
9. Cover with the other pie crust and cook for 20 – 30 minutes or until it is bubbling and crust is golden brown.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth until smooth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick.
- Add peas and parsley to the filling.
- Fit the bottom pie crust into a pie plate.
- Spoon the creamy filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet .
You May Like: Campbell’s Creamy Turkey Pot Pie Recipe