More Great Apple Pie Recipes
If the crust looks like it’s getting too browned, take a large piece of aluminum foil and place on top of the pie in the oven. No need to wrap it around the pie, just place it on top. That will keep the top from browning further.
Pies always seem to take longer to cook than one expects. The filling should be visibly bubbling, which you should be able to see through the steam vents.
I recommend putting a rimmed baking sheet on a rack beneath the rack of the pie to catch the filling as some of it invariably bubbles up and out over the pie. Makes oven clean-up a lot easier.
More Baking Tips For Apple Pie
- Use a trusted pie crust recipe. We always use this homemade pie crust recipe for our pies.
- Prepare the apple pie filling first and set it aside for 1 hour, allowing the apples to release their juices then mix the apples and the juices with a thickener like cornstarch or tapioca starch.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for approximately 75 minutes, turning a few times for even browning. The long bake time makes sure that the filling thickens inside the pie.
- If your crust starts to brown too quickly or looks to be turning too dark, mold a large piece of foil over a bowl thats been placed upside down to make a foil dome. Place the foil dome over the pie for the remaining bake time. This will slow the browning.
- Let apple pie cool before cutting into it. For the best results, the filling should be room temperature or cold before slicing. Cooling the pie gives the liquid inside a chance to thicken even more, which means it wont spill out into a pool when you cut into the pie.
Best Glazes For Lattice Pie Crusts
To get the beautifully browned pie crust, brush the lattice with some milk, cream, or an egg wash . You’ll want the egg yolk to be completely incorporated into the liquid, and the egg wash thin enough to flow from a pastry brush onto the dough strips.
Whatever glaze you use, you can sprinkle the whole lattice pie top with some sanding or turbinado sugar. It adds sparkle and crunch to the baked pie.
Also Check: American Pie – Band Camp Trailer
Do You Put Egg Wash On Apple Pie
Have you ever wondered how some people manage to get the tops of their pies to look beautiful? All you need to do is brush any of the following washes to the top of the crust before baking:
- For a shiny light brown crust: brush with an egg white that has been lightly beaten with a teaspoon of water.
- To get a glossy golden pie crust: brush the crust with an egg yolk and a teaspoon of water.
- For a crisp brown crust: brush the pie crust just with water.
- How to add a little sparkle: sprinkle sugar on top as well.
A Classic Dessert For Good Reason
- Its literally as easy as pie.
- It doesnt need any fancy ingredients, its a simple classic.
- The tips below ensure perfection every time.
- A flaky crust, tender apples that are just the right amount of sweet.
- Works perfectly with store-bought or homemade pie crust.
- Its perfect. Always.
Don’t Miss: Mrs Budd’s Chicken Pot Pie Review
How Do You Make An Apple Spirit
What Are The Ingredients For Apple Pie
There are a couple of key ingredients for our homemade apple pie.
- Saigon Cinnamon. Youll want to look for a cinnamon that is labeled Saigon cinnamon. This cinnamon has a higher essential oil content and has a stronger flavor than most cinnamons. Youll pay just a little more for this cinnamon, but the difference it makes in baked goods is worth it!
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg. Yes, you can buy nutmeg already ground, but if youre looking to add a unique flavor to your pies, try freshly grated nutmeg. You buy nutmeg nuts and a small grater. Simply grate the nut on the grater and watch that freshly grated nutmeg fall into your apple mixture. Its so, so good!
- Lemon Juice. Dont worry. You wont taste the lemon in this pie. You can actually leave the lemon out if youd like, but we feel it helps add to the fresh flavor of the pie.
- Flour. Flour thickens up the filling slightly so your pie is not runny.
- Sugar. We normally use white sugar, but we have made it with brown sugar too!
- Butter. Before putting the top pie crust on, we dot the top of our pie with butter. Butter adds flavor and richness to fruit desserts.
Don’t Miss: Bean Pie Meme
Can Apple Pie Be Frozen
Yes, apple pie can be frozen. Whether the pie is baked or unbaked, freezing the pie will extend its shelf life for up to 6 months.
When freezing uncooked apple pie, leave it whole. Do not make slits in the top of the crust until right before you bake the pie.
Preparing the pie in a disposable aluminum foil pie dish is the ideal option. The foil dish is both freezer- and oven-friendly. This way you dont have to worry about transferring the pie between dishes due to extreme temperature changes.
Make sure you remove any whipped cream, ice cream, or other toppings that may have been served with the pie before preparing leftover apple pie to go into the freezer.
Fill And Seal The Pie
Taste of Home
Next, add your apple mix to the pie dish. Dot with butter. Then lay your top crust over the apples. From here, trim the edges of the crustleave an inch or so of excess around the perimeter.
Then pinch and seal the crust. There are lots of methods for finishing off the edges of your crust, and we have the best tips for how to make decorative pie crusts. If youre a beginner, you can just pinch the crust closed.
Also Check: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
How To Freeze Apple Pie Filling
This apple pie filling is delicious and can be used right away. We mainly make it to replace cans of pie filling in recipes, if I am making an actual apple pie from scratch, I dont pre cook the filling. If you do make this filling you can of course freeze it.
Simply cook as directed and cool. Freeze in a freezer bag. Once ready to use, defrost overnight in the fridge and use as you would from fresh!
We love this on its own or served over ice cream but this easy apple pie filling works perfectly in the recipes below!
- Apple Pie Egg Rolls: If you like the OLD McDonalds apple pies you will LOVE these!!!
- Apple Pie Tacos: Crispy Cinnamon Sugar Shells filled with Warm Apple Pie Filling!
- Apple Pie Roll Ups: Easy baked apple pie roll ups rolled in cinnamon sugar and served warm!
- Apple Pie Dumplings: 2 Ingredient Apple Pie Dumplings! This is the easiest dessert to put together!
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Melt butter and cinnamon over medium heat. Stir in apples, sugar & water.
- Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes or until very slightly softened.
- In a small dish combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Add to the pan while stirring and continue to cook until apples are soft and filling is thickened. Let bubble 1 minute. Cool.
Can I Make My Own Moonshine
People today manufacture artisan moonshine out of a sense of nostalgia and a desire for a particular flavor profile. These can be purchased from liquor stores or produced only for home consumption. However, distilling alcohol in ones house, even for personal consumption, is prohibited under federal law.
Also Check: Entenmann Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
How Do You Make A Perfect Apple Pie
You might be wondering how I can be so sure that this is the best recipe. There are a few criteria that this unbiased panel of one says a perfect apple pie must have:
Follow along below to learn how to make this smoked dessert perfectly.
Apple Pie Recipe With The Best Filling
Classic Apple Pie Recipe with an irresistible homemade apple pie filling. From the best flaky pie crust to the generous saucy center, this recipe always gets glowing reviews. This is the pie everyone has to make for Thanksgiving!
We love apple recipes, from Baked Apples to Apple Slab Pie and lets not forget Apple Cake. If you love apples, this apple pie is a must-try! Watch the video tutorial below and youll crave it until you make it.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
Recommended Reading: Key Lime Pie The Profit
Our Favorite Tools To Make Pie:
You dont need fancy equipment to make a pie. If you dont have a food processor, you can use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour until it forms pea-sized crumbles, then add 6-8 Tbsp ice-cold water, folding it in with a spatula between each addition. Its easy as pie! Here are our favorite pie-making tools to make the job easier:
Should Moonshine Be Refrigerated
Although moonshine does not require refrigeration for storage, keeping your moonshine in a refrigerator will not cause any damage to your liquor. When it comes to changing your moonshine, the only factors that can do it are light, heat, and oxygen if your bottle is unsealed. Any of these components can have an impact on the flavor of your moonshine if it is exposed to them.
Also Check: Pyrex Deep Dish Pie Plate
Time To Smoke The Perfect Pie Crust
After the pie crust has chilled in the refrigerator for at least an hour, remove it, and roll it out on a lightly floured clean surface. Youll want to roll it out to a twelve-inch circle thats about an eighth inch thick. Repeat the process with the second pie crust ball, and then roll one of the pie crust around your rolling pin to transport it to the nine-inch pie pan.
Gently press the crust into the bottom of the pie pan, being careful not to poke any holes in the crust. Put the crust in your smoker on high heat for twenty minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Remove the crust from your smoker, and turn the temperature down to 375 degrees.
How To Fold Hand Pies
The most complicated part of this recipe is figuring out how to roll out the dough and fold it into little hand pies. But once you figure out the first one, the rest will be much faster and easier. Here is what you need to do:
What else is so great about this recipe? Well, you can make this ahead of time. Just prepare the hand pie crust and the apple filling and store them in the refrigerator. When you are ready to make and bake, you assemble the hand pies and bake!
Also Check: Pies And Pints Franchise
How Do You Make Easy Moonshine
Were creating legal moonshine in this video, and its a simple moonshine recipe to make. Directions:
How To Store And Freeze Apple Pie
Apple pie will easily last a couple of days, lightly covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, on your counter at room temperature.
After a couple days, you can keep the pie chilled for a few more days in the fridge. If you want, warm the pie in a 350Â°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- To freeze the unbaked pie, wrap the assembled pie in plastic wrap, with as much air pressed out as possible. Then wrap the pie in a layer of foil this will help keep the plastic wrap in place. Freeze for up to a month. When ready to bake, remove it from the freezer, unwrap, and place it into the oven. Bake as directed, adding on about 15 minutes to the baking time, or until the top is golden and the filling is bubbling.
- To freeze a baked pie, wrap and freeze the pie as above. When ready to serve, unwrap and let the pie thaw at room temperature. Warm it up in a 350Â°F oven for about 15 minutes to crisp up the top and warm the filling.
Read Also: Campbells Chicken Pot Pie With Pie Crust
How To Make Apple Pie Filling
Youve heard the saying as easy as Apple Pie, this recipe is exactly that apples are peeled and sliced and simply added to a pan with a bit of water, sugar and cinnamon. Once tender, I add a bit of cornstarch to thicken up this apple pie filling. Any of the juices released from the apples to make the saucy part. Voila. Its that easy!
This easy apple pie filling recipe makes the equivalent of 1 can of apple pie filling and takes just about 10 minutes. Its perfect to substitute for a can of apple pie filling ! Choose a variety of apples that holds up well to cooking such as Granny Smith!
Storing Apple Hand Pies
You can also wrap them tightly with aluminum foil and store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, thaw and re-bake at 350 F for 5-10 minutes.
Serve these warm apple apple hand pies as is, or with a scoop of your favourite flavour of ice cream on the side. I just cant wait to make these again and again!
You May Like: Supreme Bean Pie Recipe