Kitchen Essentials For Making Easy Blueberry Pie
this post contains affiliate links this means that I make a tiny commission off any purchase that you may make. this small commission helps keep Rocky Hedge Farm going at no additional cost to you. please see my disclosure policy for more information.
you can find my favorite kitchen essentials can be found in my while I often try to link to the exact products you see in my photos and videos, many times, my pieces are vintage and often thrifted. however, I try to find and link replicas as much as I can which are made in the USA or by other small shops as I believe in supporting hardworking American families.
Variations On This Recipe
For what you see here, I chose to top my pie with a lattice pie crust. I have a great tutorial for that here: How to Make a Lattice Pie Crust.
You could also bake it as a double-crust pie, or as a single crust, open-faced pie. Or you could top it with my favorite streusel recipe, and youd have a blueberry crumb pie, aka French blueberry pie.
I like to thicken my filling with cornstarch, but if youd rather, you can use all-purpose flour or tapioca starch instead. Use 1/2 cup of flour or tapioca, in place of the cornstarch.
For a gluten-free blueberry pie, replace the all-purpose flour in the crust with a gluten-free flour blend that subs 1:1 for regular flour. Here are a few good options:
For a vegan blueberry pie, use a vegan butter substitute.
When Is Blueberry Season
The blueberry gathering period can be anywhere from late May through mid-August, depending upon the variety and local weather. Here in this area of Missouri, there are several local U Pick farms. Generally, blueberries are harvested from late June to early-mid July. To find a U Pick berry picking farm location near you, search U Pick Farm Locator.
Also Check: Fried Key Lime Pie Key West
Can You Use Frozen Blueberries What About Canned
I dont recommend it for this pie, which was designed to be made with fresh berries. I think its worth it to buy them from the farmers market theyre expensive , but the flavor is so much better than either frozen berries or berries that have been shipped across the country. The ones I used for this pie were the perfect balance of sweet and tart, and they baked beautifully in the oven softening and releasing their juices while staying firm enough to give you something to bite into.
More About Old Fashioned Blueberry Pie Recipes
OLD-FASHIONED BLUEBERRY PIE – TASTE OF THE SOUTH
FromEstimated Reading Time
OLD FASHIONED BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPE (FRESH, HOMEMADE …
OLD-FASHIONED BLUEBERRY PIE | CANADIAN LIVING
OLD-FASHIONED BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPE – DAVID PAGE, BARBARA …
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out the Flaky Pie Pastry into two 12-inch rounds 1/8 inch thick. Fit 1 round into a 9-inch glass pie plate. Transfer the other round to a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 375°. In a bowl, toss the berries with the sugar, flour, lemon juice and cinnamon. Pour the filling into the lined pie plate. Lightly brush the rim of the bottom crust with water and drape the top crust over the filling. Press the dough edges together and trim the overhang to 1/2 inch, fold the overhang under and crimp decoratively.
- Using a sharp knife, make a 1-inch slash in the center of the top crust. Bake the pie for 1 hour, or until the filling is bubbling and the crust is golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool before serving.
CLASSIC BLUEBERRY PIE – THE BUSY BAKER
- Add the flour, sugar and salt to the bowl of your food processor .
- Add the blueberries to a bowl, along with the cornstarch, sugar, salt and lemon juice. Toss just until combined.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. If your oven runs hot, set it to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
BLUEBERRY PIE RECIPE + HERRINGBONE ALL BUTTER PIE CRUST
Don’t Miss: Hersheys Chocolate Cream Pie
How To Lattice A Pie Crust
Easy Blueberry And Lemon Crumble Cake
Easy Blueberry and Lemon Crumble Cake.Deliciously soft & moist cake packed with blueberries and a hint of lemon. Topped with a crumble topping. Easiest simple cake recipe ever!
Delicious, simple, soft and fluffy oatmeal muffins bursting with juicy blueberries. Serve warm for breakfast or have as a nice snack
Fluffy Blueberry Bread and Butter Pudding A wonderful dessert, best served warm with a blob of ice cream, whipped cream, or both!
Apple, Pear and Blueberry Pie. Delicious served warm or cold with some whipped cream, ice cream or custard! Easy recipe too!
Blueberry Frangipane. A delicious almond cake bursting with juicy blueberries. This is a really nice coffee time cake to make.
Blueberry and Lemon Trifle. This is just sublime! Layers of fresh Lemon Cake, Creamy Custard and Whipped Cream and of course a generous sprinkling of blueberries throughout. Please enjoy!
Blueberry Crescent Roll Cheesecake Bars. An incredibly easy recipe with cream cheese and blueberry filling sandwiched between layers of pastry. This tastes amazing!
No Bake, Blueberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake… a creamy piece of deliciousness!
No Bake, Blueberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake… a creamy piece of deliciousness!
Layers Of Creamy Smooth Vanilla Pudding Layered Between Juicy Blueberries On A Bed Of Coconut-Infused Lady’s Fingers And Then Covered With A Wonderful Dreamy Whipped Cream Topping
Cook Time: Total Time:
You May Like: Peach Cobbler With Canned Peaches And Frozen Pie Crust
How To Make The Best Blueberry Pie From Scratch
TIP #1: Use your food processor and COLD butter.TIP #2: Work quickly and gently when you handle the dough.TIP #3: Shape the dough into discs.TIP #4: Use a thickening agent in the filling.TIP #5: Create a lattice top crust.TIP #6: Create a clean edge.TIP #7: Use an egg wash.TIP #8: Sugar the crust.TIP #9: Heat Things Upbaking sheetTIP #10: Let it cool before slicing!
LOOKING FOR MORE DELICIOUS SUMMER DESSERT IDEAS?
GET MY SUMMER DESSERTS E-COOKBOOK!
New Glasgow Whisky Firm Offers Three Perfect Festive Cocktail Recipes
The cocktail recipes from the new single malt are ideal to get you into the Christmas spirit. With Christmas on the way, it’ll soon be time to get creative with your festive tipples. Newly launched small-batch King’s Inch single malt whisky has released their perfect serves Christmas spirit.
Don’t Miss: My Little Pony Pinkie Pie Toys
Make The Double Crust Pie Dough
First Make The Pastry
1. Put flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor, add butter, pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
2. Slowly add 1/4 cup ice water. Pulse till dough is crumbly but holds together when squeezed.Do not overmix to have a flaky crust. You should see some pieces of butter still.
3. Divide dough into two portions, with the dough still crumbly, wrap with 2 pieces of cling wrap to form 2 balls.Wrap tight, refrigerate till firm.
Don’t Miss: Mlp Pinkie Pie Toy
Blueberry Pie Recipe + Herringbone All Butter Pie Crust
A blueberry pie recipe that has been in our family for three generations. The all butter pie crust is beautifully decorated with a herringbone technique.
People often ask what my favorite thing to make is. I have so many things that I enjoy making, like technically challenging french macarons, or my super popular stuffed cupcakes. Its also really satisfying to make an easy and healthy dinner with Pat. My absolute favorite thing though, something that is almost in my DNA, is pie. I have been making this blueberry pie recipe since I was five years old. Seriously.
Get the blueberry pie recipe after the jump!
Pies were our thing growing up. Our go-to dessert for a special occasion, or just because it was berry season.
The recipe itself is from a well-thumbed Betty Crocker cookbook that was passed down from my grandma. My mom still has the original, but my version of the recipe is on a floury, blueberry-stained index card. I can officially call it award-winning too. When I was in kindergarten, she entered the recipe into a pie contest in a rural town in Wisconsin shortly after we moved there.
As a stranger winning the pie contest, she almost ensured that she had no friends for the first year we lived there. It took small town Wisconsin a while to get over the sting of defeat.
I hope you enjoy it as much as three generations of my family have.
- 5 cups blueberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
My pie dough recipe or one of your choosing
Why Is My Blueberry Pie Filling Runny
- Pie is underbaked: Set a timer and pay attention to how long the pie is baking. Just because the crust is brown does not mean the pie has finished baking. The flour acts as the thickener in this recipe and needs time to set up. So let the filling bubble in the center of the pie for at least 5-10 minutes before removing the pie from the oven.
- Pie did not cool: After all the effort of making a pie, the hardest part is waiting before slicing the pie. The filling has to cool enough to set up so avoid slicing into the pie for several hours. If the pie is cut while it is still warm, the pie will be runny.
Read Also: Pinkie Pie Playset
More Delicious Blueberry Recipes
- Blueberry Crisp: This easy Blueberry Crisp recipe is another favorite summer dessert using fresh blueberries. Healthy, juicy blueberry filling made with maple syrup and perfectly baked golden brown crumbles! Served best with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream, homemade, of course!
- Blueberry Zucchini Bread: This quick, easy moist, and delicious blueberry zucchini bread recipe is a summertime favorite. With shredded zucchini and fresh juicy blueberries, your taste buds will love this sweet quick bread recipe, sweetened with maple syrup.
Old Fashioned Blueberry Pie Recipe
Deliciously sweet with a golden brown, flaky crust, nothing compares to a classic homemade blueberry pie recipe made with fresh berries! Its the ultimate traditional summer dessert and pairs perfectly with fresh whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
I used to believe that making old-fashioned fruit pies from scratch was complex and intimidating. While it can feel somewhat laborious, the reward is worth the effort. All good things in life require some effort and patience.
There is no winning an award in a blue-ribbon pie contest for gorgeously detailed cutout crust or a lattice top when it comes to my blueberry pie recipe.
But, the secret to a delicious pie is how it is mademade with love, with the deepest, most flavorful, juicy berry filling that any home cook will be proud to serve. To taste summer is to taste a piece of fresh blueberry pie.
Recommended Reading: Maud Pie Plush
Tips For Making Homemade Blueberry Pie Recipe
- Taste the Berries: Some blueberries are sweeter than others so taste your berries. If they are super sweet, decrease the amount of sugar. If the berries are more sour, you may want to increase the amount of sugar.
- Watch the Pie: While baking, if the edges begin to get to brown, you can protect the crust by using a crust guard or pieces of aluminum foil wrapped around the edge. This will ensure that the crust does not burn while the rest of the pie bakes.
- Thickening Blueberry Pie Filling with Flour: Most blueberry pie recipes call for using cornstarch or quick cooking tapioca as the thickening agent for pie filling. I have had great success using the formula of 1 tablespoon flour per 1 cup of blueberries.
How Do You Keep The Filling From Getting Runny
I firmly believe in a juicy pie, so Im never too worried about it being runny. I usually use just enough cornstarch to help the fruit hold together, but not so much that the filling turns into Jello. I love those last few spoonfuls of sweet berry juice, especially if theyve mixed with a little melted ice cream.
With both the amount of sugar and the amount of cornstarch that you choose to use, go by your fruit. Taste a few berries if theyre very tart, use a little more sugar, and vice versa. If theyre very juicy, you may want to add a few more teaspoons of cornstarch. Theres definitely wiggle room for both ingredients, so dont spend too much time worrying about the exact amount. Less time fretting, more time eating pie!
Do you love blueberry pie? Whats your favorite way to make it?
Recommended Reading: Key Lime Pie Delivery From Key West