How Long Should Pie Sit After Baking
The best way to cool pies and tarts is on a cooling rack, because it allows air to circulate completely. Always let pies and tarts cool for at least 20 minutes so that the ingredients have time to set. Even if your pie or tart is to be served warm, if you cut into it too soon, its likely to crumble or fall apart.
Does Canned Pie Filling Need To Be Cooked
Really there is no health reason to bake or otherwise heat up canned pie fillings. They are canned hot and precooked to set the filling and kill off microbes. Barbara Forbes-Lyons, At home in the kitchen for more than 4 decades. There is no need to bake the pie canned filling and the premade crust are ready to eat.
What Are The Best Apples For Apple Pie
It’s best to use a mix of different types of apples in your pie. Some apple varieties cook up faster than others. Some cook up firm, some more soft some apples are more tart, some more sweet.
- Granny Smith – Green and tart, Granny Smith apples have wonderful flavor, but they they often lose their shape and turn mushy when cooked. So use no more than 2 Grannies in your pie, and combine with other varieties.
- Jonagold – A cross between a Golden Delicious and a Jonathan, Jonagolds have a lovely aromatic flavor, they’re both sweet and sharp, and they hold their shape with baking.
- Fuji – Crisp, firm, juicy, balance of sweet and tart, holds its shape in baking
- Golden Delicious – Yellow and sweet, holds its shape after baking
- Braeburn – Sweet and crisp, bakes up firm and juicy
- Cortland – Juicy and tart, relatively soft, great all purpose apple for baking
- Honey Crisp – Honey sweet and tart flavor, crisp and juicy, holds shape in baking
- Avoid Red Delicious apples for pies, they don’t cook well.
For more information on which apple varieties are best for baking, check out our Guide to Apples.
Read Also: Sonic Coconut Cream Pie Shake
Why Is My Apple Crumble Not Crunchy
The main reason your crumble topping isnt crunchy is probably because you havent used Demerara sugar. Although, it could also be that youve got your topping ingredient quantities wrong: either too much or not enough flour and butter alongside the sugar. Youve not used ingredients that add crunch.
How Do You Know When Pumpkin Pie Is Done Baking
The classic knife test is the easiest and most foolproof way to tell if your pumpkin pie is done. Simply insert a knife near the center of the pie. If the knife comes out clean, your pie is done. The only downside to the knife test is that it leaves a crack where the knife was inserted into the filling.
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Ar
How To Make Quick And Easy Apple Pie
Bring the pie crust to room temperature before you get started so that its easier to unroll without ripping.
You May Like: Churchs Chicken Apple Pie
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Serve fresh apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, warm caramel sauce or whipped cream.
- tip 2 If you cant find Bettys pie crust mix, we love using Pillsburys premade pie crust. Or if you want to make your own pie crust from scratch, try using our Perfect Baked Pie Crust. It only calls for four ingredients and is totally worth the effort.
- tip 3 Ever wonder what apple you should use to bake pies? We recommend using a firm, crisp apple like Granny Smith, Honey Crisp or Pink Lady. They will hold their shape better when cooking in a pie. For more tips, heres our guide on How to Bake with Apples.
Also Check: What Is Bean Pie Made Out Of
Don’t Miss: Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Why Is My Apple Pie So Watery
When apple pie bakes, the apples exude juice. At some point that juice starts to boil, which releases excess moisture in the form of steam. In addition, the starch in the thickener absorbs some of the water in the juice, making the remaining juice highly flavorful and dense enough to hold the apples in place.
How Long Does Apple Pie Take
We bake a standard 9-inch pie in a 400 degree oven for about 75 minutes.
One of the biggest complaints with apple pie is that the filling is too runny, even after following a recipe. Thats why weve become such fans of this method of making apple pie.
With this method , the pie bakes at one temperature for a long time. This extra long bake time makes sure the liquid in the apple pie filling has a chance to simmer and thicken.
Don’t Miss: Campbells Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Can You Put A Pie Back In The Oven
If its a fruit pie, try putting it back in the oven for a few minutes on the very bottom rack, thus putting the underbaked bottom closer to the heat source. If its a custard pie, dont try to re-bake it you risk compromising your lovely filling. Always par-bake the crust if the recipe calls for it.
More Easy Apple Recipes
Simple Apple Tart How to make a stunning apple tart with a buttery crust, thinly sliced apples, and toasted almonds.
Apple Pie Cupcakes A fun and easy apple pie cupcake recipe made with cinnamon roll dough, spiced apples and a crumble topping. How can it go wrong?
Dutch Baby Pancakes with Apples How to make the best tall, fluffy Dutch baby pancakes with tender apples. The perfect breakfast or dessert!
Easy Apple Crisp This apple crisp recipe with oats has sweet tender apples and a crisp and crunchy topping made with flour, oats, brown sugar, butter, and cinnamon.
Baked Cinnamon Apples These cinnamon baked apples are easy enough for tonight, but double as the perfect dessert for friends and family .
Creamy Apple Salad with Celery and Fennel We love this fresh and easy apple salad recipe made with crisp apples, celery, fennel, and an easy creamy dressing.
Also Check: Key Lime Pie Delivery From Key West
Make The Apple Pie Filling
Before you even start making your filling, youll want to make sure youve got great apples to work with. Everyone has their personal preference as far as apple varietalssome prefer tart, others sweetbut just be sure to use a firm, crisp apple that will hold up to baking. Check out these tips for finding the best apples for apple pie and how to keep apples from browning.
With the apples prepped, toss them in a bowl with the lemon juice. In another dish, mix together sugar, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Then add the sugar mixture to the apples and toss to coat. Thats all for the filling!
How To Make Perfect Homemade Apple Pie
Its taken us a while to zero in on our favorite method for making apple pie, but I think weve finally nailed it. This simple recipe guarantees perfectly cooked apples surrounded with a thick gently spiced sauce. Theres no need for precooking the sauce or apples and the steps to make this pie are simple, you just need a little time.
As with all of the pie recipes on Inspired Taste, we start with this homemade pie crust. Im a stickler on this one. It has never failed us and is our go-to recipe for pumpkin pie, tarts, and other fruit pies like blueberry pie.
You can make the crust in advance. It can be refrigerated or frozen. Definitely check our pie crust recipe for our tips on making it .
As for the apples, we use a lot of them and like to use two or more varieties for the most apple-flavored pie. Ive listed some of our favorites below. It isnt a complete list, but it should give you some inspiration when shopping for your homemade pie. If you find yourself with extra apples, try making homemade applesauce!
We dont precook the apples before adding them to the crust.
Instead, we toss peeled and sliced apples with sugar, salt, and spices in a large bowl. When the apples are well coated, we set the bowl aside and let the apples sit for about an hour.
In this hour, the sugar and salt work on the apples to help them release their delicious liquid . The apples also soften quite a bit. We do this when making apple bread, too.
Read Also: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie
Old Fashioned Apple Pie
Apple pie …so American, so delicious. A true classic. Enjoy!
Provided by Arletta
|2 unbaked pie crusts|
|7 cups peeled, cored and sliced apples|
|1 cup white sugar|
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F .
- In a bowl combine apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Place mixture in a pastry-lined 9 inch pie plate. Dot with butter and adjust top crust that has been vented.
- Place in oven and bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes. Turn oven temperature down to 275-300 degrees F and bake 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and apples are tender. Let cool and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 402 calories, Carbohydrate 61.4 g, Cholesterol 7.6 mg, Fat 17.2 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 2.4 g, SaturatedFat 4 g, Sodium 373.5 mg, Sugar 35 g
Should I Let The Apple Pie Cool Before I Serve It
If you want this pie to slice nicely , then let it cool to room temperature before serving. Hot apple pie is delicious but the apples will slice and stay inside your pie if you wait. Its up to you. Sometimes I cut into hot pie and just scoop some of the apples out of the pie plate, and sometimes I wait. Its up to you.
Don’t Miss: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit Update
The Apples We Use For Apple Pie
To make this apple pie, we use approximately 4 pounds of apples. For the best apple flavor, try adding more than one variety of apple to your pie.
We especially love these varieties of apples for baked desserts and pie:
- Granny Smith Your standard, never-fails baking apple. Tart, crisp, and they keep their structure after time in the oven.
- Honeycrisp Extra crisp and always holds firm after baking. One of our favorites!
- Jonagold Tart with a bit of sweetness. They also hold up well in the oven.
- Braeburn Crisp, sweet apples that hold up well in pie and other baked desserts.
- Mutsu Big apples that look like a large Golden Delicious. Has a sweet honeyed flavor and holds up well in pie.
- Pink Lady A good balance of sweet and tart. Will also hold its shape when baked.
- Golden Delicious Sweet and flavorful apple thats very versatile. Will hold up in pie, but will become softer than some of the varieties mentioned above.
- Jazz Sweet and crisp flavor. Will hold up nicely in pie.
How To Bake An Apple Pie From Scratch
wikiHow is a wiki, similar to Wikipedia, which means that many of our articles are co-written by multiple authors. To create this article, 252 people, some anonymous, worked to edit and improve it over time. This article has been viewed 2,398,243 times.Learn more…
Though a store-bought apple pie can give you some of the sweet, rich flavor you’re craving, nothing beats an apple pie that you make at home from scratch. Not only is making an apple pie not as hard as it sounds, but making it yourself will help you cut costs and to make a pie that is as fresh as possible. It is also more healthy. All you have to do is make the crust, fill it with diced apples and a variety of spices and then layer extra sections of the crust over the filling to make the top of the pie. If you follow these instructions, you’ll see that making an apple pie that’s as good as your grandmother’s is as easy as pie.
Don’t Miss: What Is Bean Pie Made Of
Apple Pie Troubleshooting Tips
Need help perfecting your pie recipe or fixing common slipups? Weve got tips.
- The filling is too watery: Despite our best efforts, apple filling can sometimes be too runny. This depends so much on the moisture of the apples. If youre particularly worried about a soggy filling, you can precook the apples for a few minutes, as Joanna Gaines does in her signature pie recipe. Then you can drain the apples and then mix up the filling as normal.
- The apples are too mushy: Be savvy about the apples you choose. Opt for firm, tart apples like Cortlands and Granny Smiths. Avoid apples like Red Delicious.
- The crust gets too brown: Dont skip those crust shields! They do wonders to preserve the color of your pie.
- Slicing the pie is messy: Wait! Thats all there is to it. Waiting overnight will yield the best results.
Easy Stove Top Pie Filling
I looooove Apple pie filling! I also have a lot of recipes calling for canned apple pie filling.. and its kind of expensive not to mention, homemade always tastes 1000 xs better! This has to be one of my FAVORITES and if youve been looking for an easy Apple Pie Filling recipe.. youve found it!!
You May Like: Pyrex 8 Inch Pie Plate
Keys Steps For An Easy Apple Pie
Toss the apples with sugar, then drain. After peeling and slicing your apples, you want to toss them with sugar and set them aside to soften and drain. This step makes the apples more tender and prevents a soggy crust. But its faster than pre-cooking them on the stove, and they also maintain their shape. You can discard the liquid they release, or save it for cocktail-making . After draining, toss the apples with cinnamon, cornstarch, and a pinch of cardamom.
Brush the inside of the crust with egg wash. Youre probably familiar with egg wash as a way to make the exterior of your baked goods more golden and a bit shiny, but adding a layer of egg wash to the interior of the pie crust before filling it creates a protective layer that will keep the apples juices from destroying your crust. Speaking of crust, store-bought crust really is ideal here. These are Kitchns favorite pie crusts from the store.
Layer the apples inside the crust. Instead of dumping the apples in, spend a few minutes laying and stacking the apple slices. It seems fussy, but its actually ingenious: This will help you avoid large gaps, which means youre less likely to get a shrunken filling and domed crust. Keep layering until the apples are slightly taller than the pie pan.
Bake your pie on a preheated baking sheet. Jumpstart the baking process by preheating a baking sheet, then slide your pie onto it to bake. This makes the bottom crust extra crisp and helps speed up the baking process.