Why Is It Called Pot Pie
According to a pot pie recipe from 1845 highlighted in an article on the history of the pot pie by NPR.org, it is because the filling was cooked in a pot with scraps of leftover meat, plus onion and potatoes, like a stew. It was then thickened with flour. The pot pie concept was a carry over from a European practice where the lower class peasants would create a more hearty meal out of the stew by adding the crust, which was inexpensive and would make the dish more filling for a family.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: The filling for chicken pot pie can be made 1 day in advance cover and chill in the refrigerator. Fill your crust and bake the next day, as directed.
To freeze: The unbaked OR baked pot pie freezes well for up to 2-3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake as directed, or bake to warm through.
Leftover Chicken Pot Pie will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, stored in an airtight container.
You can also FOLLOW ME on , , and for more great recipes!
Shortcut Tips For Chicken Pot Pie
Next time you are short on time and want to make a quick family meal that everyone will love, I suggest making this super easy chicken pot pie.
To make it even easier, I used Pillsbury’s Refrigerated Pie Crust. If you have more time, then make a simple homemade pie crust for a more flaky top.
Another shortcut is to use pre-cooked chicken. You can buy pre-cooked, diced oven-roasted chicken at the grocery store , or buy a cooked rotisserie chicken, or use leftovers from a previous chicken or turkey dinner you served.
Also Check: Mermaids Cupcakes Denver
What Makes This Chicken Pot Pie Easy
My commitment to making this an easy chicken pot pie develops in stages.
- The chicken: Buy a whole, cut-up chicken, which cooks faster than a whole chicken. No need to fiddle around with a whole chicken when theyre already available cut-up. Toss the pieces on a sheet pan with oil and roast it.
- The veggies: I use frozen vegetables to stir into the filling, but give the gravy a lift by dicing onions, garlic, and celery while the chicken is roasting.
- The pie crust: Rather than make a scratch pie crust I buy store-bought puff pastry.
- The stock: If you have homemade stock in your fridge then by all means use it, but there is no shame in saving time with store-bought stock. To find the best box stock check out our product review: Our Favorite Boxed Chicken Broth.
- The time: The finished chicken pot pie only takes 20-25 minutes to bake in the oven. You can add another 30 minutes to roast the whole cut-up chicken, but if youre really pressed for time, just pick up a rotisserie chicken at the store.
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- 1 10 oz. can Campbell’s Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 1/2 cups shredded roasted chicken
- 1/2 cup water, or chicken broth
- garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
To ensure your potpie cooks evenly, be sure to preheat your oven to 425 degrees. This will make this dish cook thoroughly and create that golden flaky crust!
Next, you will place 1 pie crust sheet that has been defrosted for 15 minutes in the bottom of the 9-inch pie plate. Set this aside so it is ready to pour your filling.
Now, over medium heat, melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Add onions and cook uncovered until soft and translucent. This should take about 5 minutes or so.
Add soup and water , and stir until hot and a little bubbly. I like to use a wooden spoon for this cooking step because it is better for the pan and also makes me feel like I am cooking a homemade meal!
This recipe uses one bag of frozen mixed vegetables and now is the step to add them to your saucepan. Stir to incorporate into the soup mixture until nice hot.
There is nothing easier or quicker for a hearty meal than grabbing a rotisserie chicken at the store. I throw one of these in my shopping cart at least once a week to save time.
In this instance, I just shred up the meat and add it to the pot with spices and simmer it until it starts to bubble.
You May Like: American Pie Band Camp Trailer
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 One thing to keep in mind when youre making homemade chicken pot pie crust is the vessel in which youll be baking the pie. Opt for glass or aluminum pie plates with a dull finish. Shiny pans and dark pans can cause the crust to bake differently, leading to soggy bottoms or overbaking.
- tip 2 A homemade crust for chicken pot pie truly makes a difference. When its made by hand, you can better understand how it behaves and make modifications to your liking.
- tip 3 If you want to go all the way with making chicken pot pie from scratch, you could also cook your own vegetables ahead of time and add them to your pie instead of frozen veggies.
Easy Steps To Make Chicken Pot Pie
Don’t Miss: Key Lime Pie Company The Profit
Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
If youre craving comfort food, homemade chicken pot pie is your answer! This completely from scratch recipe is simple to prepare, features a double crust, and nourishes the soul. For step-by-step photos, scroll to the bottom of this page.
When Im craving a meal thats truly comforting, this double crust chicken pot pie recipe hits the spot. It satisfies the soul and, is surprisingly simple to throw together. Well use my favorite homemade pie crust recipe for a sturdy crust on the bottom and a golden brown, flaky cloak on top. In between the pie crust layers is a mixture of chicken and veggies topped with a creamy, rich white gravy that is flavored with a little cooked onion, salt, pepper, and thyme. Lets get started!
Ingredients For Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- chicken breasts – boneless, skinless chicken breast, or leftover rotisserie chicken works great!
- frozen mixed vegetables, onion and garlic – frozen veggies work great here, the only chopping you’ll do is the onions and garlic.
- cream of chicken soup, milk, cheddar cheese – perfect to make an easy creamy gravy for this pie.
- pie crust – take a shortcut and use a pre-made pie crust.
- garlicsalt, pepper, olive oil – for seasoning and to saute the vegetables.
Don’t Miss: Grape Pie Recipe Easy
Chicken Pot Pie With Homemade Crust
Published: by Lynda
This recipe for the Best Chicken Pot Pie with Homemade Crust is a new family favorite recipe at my home. The creamy chicken filling is surrounded by a buttery crust and it all just melts in your mouth.
These pictures cannot show you just how incredible this pie is. But trust me, its incredible. I use the pie crust recipe at Just A Little Bit of Bacon and have adapted the chicken pot pie recipe from Comfort of Cooking and voilà!
Prep The Chicken Pot Pie Filling
The vegetables will be cooked in two steps. First, take the carrots, corn and peas and place them in a pot and fill it with enough water to just cover the veggies. Heat it over medium heat until the veggies are tender . Drain them and combine them with the chicken in a bowl.
The next step in cooking vegetables will be to saute the onions, garlic and celery. Melt the butter in a dutch oven pot and cook the onions, garlic and celery until they are translucent . This will become the base for the sauce.
Add the flour, seasonings and herbs to the sauteed veggies and butter and stir continuously for 30 seconds. Slowly pour in the broth and milk stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. Add the sauce to the chicken, corn, carrots and peas and mix everything together.
Read Also: Pyrex 8.5 Inch Pie Plate
Can I Make This Ahead
YES! I actually made the filling the day before, cooled it and stored it in an airtight container. I poured the chilled mixture directly into the prepared baking dish and popped it in the oven. You could also probably assemble the entire pie the morning of, or night before. Just dont forget to brush with egg wash before baking!
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Make a foil collar to protect the edges of the pastry from overbrowning. Place strips of foil to cover crust during the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking.
- tip 2 A standard 9-inch glass pie plate works best for this recipe.
- tip 3 The only complicated part of making a pot pie is the pastry. By using a refrigerated dough youre left with making a quick, savory gravy that can be filled with leftover cooked chicken, turkey, or ham and a good handful of veggies. A dash of poultry seasoning or some finely chopped fresh sage will enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- tip 4 To Make Chicken Filling Ahead: prepare as directed in recipe. Spoon into airtight container cover. Refrigerate up to 1 day. To bake, pour filling into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
- tip 5 To Freeze Chicken Filling: prepare as directed in recipe. Cool, uncovered in refrigerator 30 minutes. Spoon mixture into 1-gallon freezer food storage plastic bag, leaving 1/2 to 1-inch at top of bag for expansion seal. Freeze up to 1 month. To bake, thaw mixture overnight in refrigerator. Pour into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
Recommended Reading: Key Lime Pie The Profit
How To Make Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie:
First place everything in the crock pot except the biscuits.
Then cover and cook on low all day in your favorite crock pot . You can also cook on high for 4-6 hours if you need dinner on the table quicker.
Next remove the chicken and shred. Add the chop chicken back into the crock pot and stir to combine this chicken with the other ingredients.
Towards the end of the cook time of this great recipe, bake the biscuits and serve a biscuit on top of each bowl when serving. I like using the biscuits as its easier than having to create a pie crust! Im all about saving time in the kitchen.
It is delicious and very easy!
This recipe is so easy to make but simply tastes delicious. It has the comfort food of a chicken pot pie without all the work of actually making a pie.
Place It Back In The Oven
Easy as pie!
- Use an oven thermometer to ensure the right oven temperature .
- Remove the top crust, and add a thickener to the filling , cover the pie with aluminum foil, and place it back in the oven to bake at 425 to 450 F for about 10 minutes.
- Wait until the pie cools before cutting into it. Or youll end up with a juicy, wet mess when you slice it.
Here are thickeners you can add to chicken pot pie filling:
- Instant mashed potatoes
- A flour, cornstarch, or rice starch slurry
- A beaurre manie
- Sprinkle in breadcrumbs
- Use flaxseed or chia seeds
- Parmesan cheese
Also Check: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
Scoop Out The Chicken Filling
A more time intensive strategy involves re-heating the filling.
Can you blame your oven for runny chicken pot pie?
Some ovens dont heat evenly and/or display the wrong temperature. Bad oven, bad!
Hot Tip: Try a toaster oven if your gas oven has hot spots, fluctuating temperatures, or the dial isnt accurate. Gas ovens also release moisture which can cause baking issues.
Whats The Best Way To Reheat Chicken Pot Pie
Once the chicken pot pie has been cut and served, I find the best way to reheat it is to cover it with aluminum foil and reheat it in the oven for 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
Usually, Ive stored the pot pie in the fridge in the same dish I baked it in. To avoid shattering my dish, I pop it into a cold oven. I set the oven to 350°F and allow the dish to warm up along with the oven. This lowers my wait time and protects my ceramic baking dishes. My 15-minute heating time begins when the oven has reached 350°F.
Also Check: 8 Inch Glass Pie Plate
This Easy Chicken Pot Pie Is Topped With Buttery Biscuits For The Coziest Dinner Ever
If chicken pot pie excites you, but pie crust intimidates you, youve arrived at the perfect recipe. Classic chicken pot pie filling is baked into a stress-free casserole, and best of all, topped with biscuits for that tantalizing golden brown finish. And for those crazy enough to only want half, 1/2-sized biscuit tubes now exist! Or maybe thats reason to squeeze extra biscuits on top? Either way we love a good shortcut to one of the most comforting dishes of all time, which just makes it that more comforting.
Made this? Let us know how it went in the comment section below!
Yields: 6-8 servings
medium carrots, diced
stalks celery, diced
large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp.
How To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a very easy chicken pot pie recipe full of tender chicken, vegetables, cream of chicken soup, and flaky crust. Make this a quick meal to serve your family during the week.
Maybe you have been doing yard clean up all day and you’re looking for a cozy weekend meal to enjoy with a salad and glass of wine. This recipe is for you.
Also Check: 8 Glass Pie Plate