Blind Baking The Pie Crust
If you plan on using the crust for a pumpkin pie or hut custard pie, you’ll need to par-bake the crust. If you are using the crust for a “no-bake” pie where the filling is not baked, you’ll need to bake the crust to completion.
Why You’ll Love It
This almond flour crust has me SO excited about pies! Can you tell? My mind is swimming with possibilities – lemon, coconut, chocolate, pumpkin, pear, salted chocolate pecan, and even healthy pecan pie! And then there are the savory goals: tomato, kale, pot pie, quiche.
Before we get into the easy step by step process, let me summarize for you exactly why I love this crust recipe and think you will, too!
Did You Make This Recipe
Tag on Instagram and hashtag it #aLittleInsanity
Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust Perfect for one of my Sugar Free Apple Pies!
Crust works perfectly to make shapes & decorate your Pies!
Light & Flakey Gluten Free & Vegan Pie Crust is possible!
You can even use Date Palm Sugar to make it refined sugar free like I did below.
Also Check: Banana Cream Pie Milkshake Sonic
Which Pie Can I Make With This Crust
You can make any sweet or savory pie using this vegan pie crust. It is a delicious vegan dessert pie crust for a crispy vegan apple pie crust recipe, such as a vegan pecan pie.
For these pies, always pre-bake the crust for 7-8 minutes at 350°F . You can also bake the crust entirely to make pie cases.
Bake for 15 minutes at 350°F , cool down, release and use as a pie case for strawberry or lemon curd pie.
Placing The Dough In The Pie Dish
Now, this next part is the trickiest part of this recipe. Because this dough does not contain any gluten, its less pliable than dough made with wheat flour. So just picking up the dough and placing it into the pie dish isnt going to work well for you.
What I do instead is I place my standard 9-inch glass pie dish upside down on top of the dough, like in the image below:
I then place one hand on top of the dish and the other hand under the parchment paper, and I then turn everything right side up.
Ill then remove the parchment paper and gently press the dough into the corners of the pie dish. There may be little cracks here and there, thats okay, simply repair them by pressing each side together.
At this point, Ill also trim off any overhang. If you want fancier fluted edges, leave about a half-inch of overhang. If you dont want to crimp the edges, simply slice off the overhang and you can leave it as-is or you can use a fork to press the edges to make it look pretty.
After all of these steps, I place the pie dish in the refrigerator to chill again for about 15-minutes so the butter in the dough stays nice and cold.
Read Also: Key Lime Pie Co
Wholly Wholesome Organic Pie Shells
Made with simple organic ingredients, Wholly Wholesome pie shells come in two different sizes. The 9-inch shells come in Traditional, Whole Wheat, Spelt, and Gluten-Free varieties for a variety of healthful options, and the 6-inch shell comes in Traditional. Fill them up with our easy Thanksgiving Pumpkin Pie or All-American Apple Pie fillings.
Rolled Pie Doughs, available in Traditional and Whole Wheat, allow for creative pie making, so you can top your apple pie with a lattice crust or use cookie cutters to make portable hand pies filled with vegan goodness. These products can be found in many grocery stores, and you can check whether there are locations near you.
How To Make Vegan Almond Flour Pie Crust:
This almond flour pie crust recipe is adapted from Helyns 2 Ingredient crust.
1.In a small bowl, combine flax meal, water, maple, and oil. Let it sit for 2 minutes. Mix in the vinegar, and spices, if using.
2. In a large bowl mix almond flour and salt. Add flax mixture.
3. Mix well to make a smooth dough. You will have to press and drag so the flax mixture gets incorporated. Mix the dough for about 1 to 2 minutes. Add a tsp or more water if needed.
4. Pat the pie dough down into a flat round disc on a sheet of parchment paper. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top of your pie dough disc and roll the dough out. As you do so, slightly move the rolling pin from one end to the other. The dough will crack at the edges, which is fine.
5. Place the pie or tart dish on the rolled out dough. Carefully flip it over, then press down on the parchment to transfer the dough to the dish, then remove the upper sheet of parchment paper.
Alternatively, You can also directly pay the dough down on a lightly greased pie or tart pan. Shape the edges and bake.
6. Shape the edges to your liking and bake the almond flour pie crust until golden, 14- 22 minutes. 14 minutes if you are planning to bake the crust again with filling. Bake 20-22 minutes or until the edges are lightly golden. Cool and use.. Easy peasy.
Recommended Reading: Dam Good Pies Fayetteville Ar
Maybe You Dont Feel Like Rolling Up Your Sleeves And Youre Wondering Is There A Gluten Free Ready Made Pie Crust
Yes, there are 2 ready made pie crusts that I have used and enjoyed. One is Wholly Wholesome gluten free crust and the other is the Kinnikinnick brand. I find the Wholly Wholesome gluten free easier to find at my local Sprouts and Whole Foods.
Once you make this a few times if will become easy and fast to make. Enjoy!
The Perfect Flaky Pie Crust
I remember learning how to make pie crust at my cooking class a long time ago before we started eating gluten-free, and one thing my professor Pelusa Molina told us was that we had to cut the chilled butter into the flour.
The reason for cutting in the solid butter into the flour is to create a flaky texture, which is developed as small pieces of solid butter remains in the flour, keeping the butter separate from the dry ingredients when baked and this is what creates the flaky texture.
In this case, were making a gluten-free and dairy-free pie crust, so Im using chilled coconut oil instead of butter . Its highly important that the oil or shortening or butter you are using is chilled and hard, so that you can cut into it without it melting.
Also Check: Campbells Mini Chicken Pot Pie
Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust
Gluten-Free Pie Crust can feel like a challenge, but creating a flaky gluten free pie crust is actually very simple once you get the hang of it. In this post I will tell you how to make the best gluten free pie crust, a buttery flaky gluten free vegan pie crust that will wow all of your friends and family. I will also answer all of your pie crust questions like, what causes a flaky pie crust, why is my gluten free pie crust crumbly, how do you make a gluten free pie crust from scratch, wy is my gluten free pie crust hard, and I will even share with you a few brands of ready made gluten free pie crusts that we love.
This post contains affiliate links. Living Freely GF makes a small percentage of any purchases made through these links. This income helps to cover the cost of running this website. Thank you for your support.
Keebler Ready Crust Graham Pie Crust
Keeblers no-bake graham cracker crusts, available in mini and 10-inch sizes, are dairy-, egg-, and honey-free, making them kind to cows, chickens, and bees. These sweet crusts have a crunchy texture and are ready to eat right out of the package, which makes them ideal for chilled pies like our Berry Tarts, our Chocolate Mousse Pie, or a no-bake vegan cheesecake. Top yours with toasted vegan marshmallows for a nostalgic treat.
Read Also: American Pie Band Camp Trailer
Its Okay To Make Repairs
Once in a while, tears in the gluten-free pastry dough will happen. Its just a fact of pie making. If its a small tear or just a piece that stuck to your rolling pin, go ahead and patch it up. But if its a large tear or a complete demolition, dont be afraid to re-roll the dough. One or two re-rolls shouldnt affect the flakiness too much. If youre concerned, you can refrigerate the dough for 15 minutes to keep the fat in the dough cool before re-rolling.
How To Make The Best Vegan And Gluten Free Almond Pie Crust:
This crust pictured below I created just by pressing with my palms and finger tips no rolling pin!
Don’t Miss: Bisquick Impossible Chicken Pot Pie
Tips For Making The Best Gluten
- I highly recommend using Pillsbury gluten-free flour or Better Batter gluten-free flour for making pie dough.
- Do not substitute using extra butter for the shortening. The shortening is key to the moisture of the dough.
- Chill the pie dough for at least an hour and then set it out at room temperature for 10-15 minutes. This step makes the pie dough super easy to roll.
- For Savory pies, you can leave out the granulated sugar.
- For a beautiful brown crust, you can brush the dough with an egg wash or milk wash.
How Do You Make A Gluten Free Pie Crust From Scratch
In a large bowl add the AP Flour, Xanthan Gum, Coconut Oil, and Dairy Free Butter.
With a pastry cutter, start pressing it into the mixture. Continue to do this for about 1 minute, or until you have lots of little dough balls the size of peas.
Add the water and continue to press your pastry cutter into the mixture. Once the mixture starts to form into one large ball, scrape all of the dough off the pastry cutter and begin to knead the dough with your hands. If you are not getting a ball and its falling apart when you try to form it, add an additional 1 tsp. of water and knead the dough.
Knead the dough until it is smooth and all formed into a nice round disc.
Wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Place plastic wrap on the surface you will be using to roll it out. I used two large sheets of plastic wrap.Take the pie dough out of the fridge and place on top of the plastic wrap. Put two sheets of plastic wrap over the top, overlapping just in the middle. You want enough plastic wrap to be able to roll it out without the dough pushing out of the edges .
Once your egg free pie dough is rolled out remove the top layer of plastic wrap. Take your hand and gently shimmy it under the plastic wrap that is under your dough. Just gently lifting it from the counter top to make your transfer successful.
Read Also: Docs Pot Pies
Gluten Free Pie Crust
When my parents were married, my dad gave my mom a jewelry box with an inscription on the inside. It said, âA Pie a Week Keeps the Husband Sweet.â Needless to say, after more than 40 years of marriage, mom became an expert pie maker. I spent years baking with mom to learn her craft. Those special times created lasting memories, and prepared me for the challenge of creating the best gluten-free pie crust.
This flaky gluten-free pie crust recipe is tried and true. Itâs been tested in my household countless times and is loved by all of my readers.
I think what amazes people most, is how light and buttery this gluten-free pastry recipe tastes, even though itâs made without top allergens. Each tender bite is deliciously egg-free, nut-free, soy-free, corn-free, optionally dairy-free, and even nightshade-free!
Tips And Substitutions For Making This Vegan Almond Flour Pie Crust Recipe:
- This recipe makes enough dough for a regular pyrex 9-inch pie pan and it works well in a tart pan as well. If your pan is a different size or material, you might need to adjust the amount of oven time.
- Almond flour pie crusts tend to brown rather quickly so I recommend covering your crust with a sheet of aluminum foil or baking paper after 10 minutes.
- For this recipe, blanched almond flour is ideal if you want a fine texture, but almond meal, which is more coarse, would also work. I would definitely recommend almond flour if you can get it, but if almond meal is all you have, you could still make this vegan pie crust recipe.
- Flax meal can be substituted with ground white chia seeds.
- For a sweeter pie crust, you can add 1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar to the dry ingredients.
- Depending on your filling, you can add spices. For a sweet filling, think pumpkin spice, nutmeg, cinnamon or orange zest. For a savory filling, you could use garlic powder or Italian herbs.
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Kavanaugh