The Best Crust For Chicken Pot Pie:
In a pinch, this recipe will work with a store-bought double pie crust, but we highly recommend using a homemade all-butter Pie Crust. It is 5 ingredients and takes just minutes to make. You can also make it a couple of days ahead.
Our homemade crust rolls out easily and it never gets soggy when baked. The bottom stays crisp without needing to pre-bake. We use this same pie crust for savory and sweet pies like Apple Pie, our juicy Cherry Pie and Blueberry Pie.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
Step 1:In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Heat the oil and butter. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Stir occasion and cook until softened.
Step 2: Sprinkle the flour over the cooked vegetables and stir to combine. Cook about 1 minute, stirring continuously.
Step 3: Gradually add the chicken broth and heavy cream. Stir frequently until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and add the frozen vegetables. Season with black pepper. Add the chopped rosemary.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pie crust into a circle. Place in the bottom of a greased cast iron skillet or into a glass pie plate. Spoon the pot pie ingredients into the prepared pie shell.
Dont feel like making homemade pie crust? No worries! Use store-bought pie crust. Or, make this chicken pot pie recipe with biscuits. Just place refrigerated biscuits on top of the filling and bake until they are golden brown. Easy as pie!
Have leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken? You can use that in this chicken pot pie recipe!
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Ahead Of Time
The great thing about this Chicken Pot Pie recipe is that you can prep your elements for it ahead of time. There are a couple of ways you can do this. Remember that the pie dough ideally needs to rest for a few hours or overnight, so make that the day before or morning of if you are making your own crust.
- Make your pie crust ahead of time. Then prep the filling ingredients – pre chop your bacon and chicken and put in a container in the fridge, and then cut your vegetables up and have them all ready to go too.
- Make the filling ahead of time and store in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to assemble. You may need to add a little more time onto the baking time just to make sure the filling is heated through. Look for it to be bubbling.
- Make and assemble the whole pie and leave it in the fridge ready to bake. This works great if you want to make dinner earlier in the day. It also works well if you want to double the recipe and make some in an aluminium container to take to a friend etc. Just attach a wee note with baking instructions!
Also Check: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is the ultimate comfort food for a chilly night. Chicken Casserole + Pot Pie equals one DELICIOUS recipe!
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole might just be my new favorite casserole. Thats saying something because we LOVE casseroles around here. Some of my favorites have been our Broccoli Rice Casserole, Reuben Casserole , and Stuffed Pepper Casserole.
I just cant get enough of this brand of easy comfort food. All the flavor and absolutely none of the fuss. I recently made Chicken Pot Pie Soup and remembered just how much I love the flavors of a Chicken Pot Pie.
This Easy Chicken Casserole Pot Pie Recipe has quickly become one of my go-to recipes on the site, and for good reason.
This Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is loaded with the tastiest sauce, chunky chicken, peas, carrots, and more, and topped with a beautiful lattice pie crust. Homey, delicious, fun, and SO COMFORTING.
Dont you want to just dive in?! Even though the pie crust isnt made from scratch, people are going to be super impressed with this recipe.
All the flavors of classic Chicken Pot Pie in this tasty Chicken Casserole recipe!
How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Crust
To make a chicken pot pie crust from scratch, youll whisk together flour, and salt, cut in cold butter and shortening using either a pastry blender or your food processor, and then drizzle in ice-cold water. Mix until a dough has formed, divide into two discs , and transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
Recommended Reading: Campbells Chicken Pot Pie With Pie Crust
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Homemade Pie Crust
This easy chicken pot pie recipe is a great way to turn a small amount of leftover chicken into a whole new meal. If you don’t have leftover cooked chicken, you can substitute a boneless breast or a couple of boneless chicken thighs. Just dice up your chicken and add it to the onions and celery to cook before adding the broth and vegetables.
I like to make a two crust chicken pot pie with homemade crust, but you could also use premade crust if you’re in a hurry, or make the pie with a single top crust. The boys love a nice, flaky crust, so for me it’s worth a little extra time. I normally use lard or butter for the crust fat, but have also used schmaltz , which makes the crust a little trickier to work with but is delicious. Don’t do animal fats? Shortening is fine, too. This type is non-hydrogenated and GMO free. Whichever fat you use, keep it cold. Tiny pockets of intact cold flat bits melt during baking, leaving behind that nice, light, flaky crust.
For the pot pie veggies, I mix and match what I have on hand. Exact amounts don’t matter, only that you have enough total volume to fill the pie. Precut frozen veggies work just fine if you are in a hurry. I often use fresh veggies from the garden paired with frozen peas, because peas have such a short season.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Chicken Pot Pie Variations
- Pie Crust: I love using my homemade pie crust recipe for todays chicken pot pie. Using a combination of butter and shortening yields the flakiest, most tender and buttery crust. For a pie crust made without shortening, try my all butter pie crust. Store bought pie crust or even puff pastry also work!
- Meats: Turkey works wonderfully instead of chicken. If using precooked meat, simply skip the boiling and cook the carrots and celery with the onion and butter.
- Vegetables: Try adding corn when you add the peas. Feel free to add 1 diced Yukon gold potato cook until soft with the onion and butter. You can also throw in a cup of sliced mushrooms add them when you cook the onion and butter. I wouldnt add ALL of these veggies though as there isnt enough gravy for it all. Stick to 2 cups of veggies + 1 potato or less.
- Spices: Taste and season this pot pie how you like! Try adding fresh chopped parsley, a pinch of celery seed, or even a little rosemary . As long as there is salt and pepper , the extra seasoning in the pot pie is up to you.
- optional: sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish
Recommended Reading: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
Why Is This Recipe In Grams
I post my recipes in grams because it is the most accurate way to bake. Cups are not only inaccurate but they vary in volume worldwide. However, there is no way for me to provide one cup measure that works for everyone. Posting in weight fixes this issue. If you would like the recipe in cups, then you are welcome to convert it yourself via google. However, please do not ask me to do it for you as I am not comfortable providing a recipe using a method that I have not tested. Baking with a scale is easy, accurate, and also makes cleanup super simple. Here is the scale that I use if you would like a recommendation! Here’s to accurate baking!
- Total Time:1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield:6 servings 1x
The Best Chicken Pot Pie
I am not exaggerating when I say this is the BEST chicken pot pie recipe EVER. Its amazing. Flaky pie crust, a buttery, creamy filling with classic chicken and vegetables, and my secret ingredient weapon.
This recipe is not only the most popular on the blog. Its also the most popular in our own family, with my kids requesting it for their birthday dinner, and our extended family begging me to make it for get-togethers. Its seriously that good.
What makes this chicken pot pie amazing is three things.
Don’t Miss: The Key Lime Pie Company
Is Chicken Pot Pie Good For You
I wouldnt call this easy chicken pot pie recipe healthy per seit has heavy cream, wine, butter as well as the pie crustBUT each serving is under 500 calories so thats a win in my book!
Everything in moderation. There are healthy tweaks you can make to this recipe to get the calories down even more.
Homemade Easy Chicken Pot Pie
I actually used to get it at KFC in my younger years then decided I needed to up my game and make it myself. Its much nicer to know to know the quality of ingredients youre using.
You can easily make shredded chicken in the instant pot, or use up a rotisserie chicken for this. Its also a great way to use up turkey leftovers. Or, if you want to make it vegetarian, just double the vegetables and make a veggie pot pie!
I actually made this chicken pot pie twice in the last week. The first time, I only had one pie crust so there was no bottom. The second time, I used a top and a bottom crust.
Without a bottom crust, the pie doesnt stay together as nicely, but you get more gravy. You also get to save on some calories/carbs, so know that bottomless is an option if you want it.
Also Check: Wings And Pies New London
Let The Filling Cool Down
Its essential to cool down the hot chicken mixture to room temperature or below. You dont want it to melt the butter in the pie crusts completely. Otherwise, it wont hold its shape. I recommend spreading the filling out on a sheet pan, then stirring occasionally to drop the temperature down faster. You can also place it in the refrigerator for quicker cooling. At this point, you can store it in a container for up to 2 days.
How To Make Crust For Chicken Pot Pie:
I use homemade pie crust for this recipe, since I usually have some on in my freezer. You can use a store-bought pie crust if you want, but watch the cook time because the store-bought crusts are thinner and will brown faster. You may want to cover the crust with tinfoil part way through baking.
To make a homemade crust for chicken pot pie, combine the flour and salt in a medium size bowl. Add the shortening and butter and use a pastry blender to cut everything together until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add ice water, just a tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to clump together.
Form the dough into two balls and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. I have the BEST trick for rolling out pie crust, here.
Read Also: The Key Lime Pie Company
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Make a foil collar to protect the edges of the pastry from overbrowning. Place strips of foil to cover crust during the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking.
- tip 2 A standard 9-inch glass pie plate works best for this recipe.
- tip 3 The only complicated part of making a pot pie is the pastry. By using a refrigerated dough youre left with making a quick, savory gravy that can be filled with leftover cooked chicken, turkey, or ham and a good handful of veggies. A dash of poultry seasoning or some finely chopped fresh sage will enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- tip 4 To Make Chicken Filling Ahead: prepare as directed in recipe. Spoon into airtight container cover. Refrigerate up to 1 day. To bake, pour filling into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
- tip 5 To Freeze Chicken Filling: prepare as directed in recipe. Cool, uncovered in refrigerator 30 minutes. Spoon mixture into 1-gallon freezer food storage plastic bag, leaving 1/2 to 1-inch at top of bag for expansion seal. Freeze up to 1 month. To bake, thaw mixture overnight in refrigerator. Pour into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie is classic comfort food and will warm you up. Its a show-stopping dish with a flaky Pie Crust, filled with saucy chicken and vegetables.
If youve never tried a homemade savory pot pie, you are in for a treat. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
You May Like: Campbells Soup Chicken Pot Pie
Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
If youre craving comfort food, homemade chicken pot pie is your answer! This completely from scratch recipe is simple to prepare, features a double crust, and nourishes the soul. For step-by-step photos, scroll to the bottom of this page.
When Im craving a meal thats truly comforting, this double crust chicken pot pie recipe hits the spot. It satisfies the soul and, is surprisingly simple to throw together. Well use my favorite homemade pie crust recipe for a sturdy crust on the bottom and a golden brown, flaky cloak on top. In between the pie crust layers is a mixture of chicken and veggies topped with a creamy, rich white gravy that is flavored with a little cooked onion, salt, pepper, and thyme. Lets get started!