Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- 3½ cups All-purpose flour
- 1 cup + 1 tbsp Cold butter, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1½ Cooked chicken, shredded or cubed
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 3/4 cup Heavy cream
- 1¾ cups Chicken stock
- 1 cup Frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon Thyme
- Egg wash
Can we make chicken pot pie ahead?
Does Kfc Chicken Pot Pie Have A Bottom Crust
The Verdict: A. When you try to define a classic chicken pot pie, you have chicken, peas, carrots, potatoes and gravy baked under a flaky crust. All of these ingredients are stewed and baked in a savory creamy sauce that could have easily overpowered all the individual tastes with too much salt, but it doesnt.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Crust
To make a chicken pot pie crust from scratch, youll whisk together flour, and salt, cut in cold butter and shortening using either a pastry blender or your food processor, and then drizzle in ice-cold water. Mix until a dough has formed, divide into two discs , and transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
Don’t Miss: Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Crust. See notes on this All Butter Pie Crust Recipe for substitutions on the crust ingredients.
- Cooked chicken breasts. I most often use diced rotisserie chicken. You can use leftover grilled chicken, shred chicken in the crockpot or on the stovetop . You can also use leftover turkey after Thanksgiving!
- Red potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes are a great substitute if you don’t have red potatoes.
- Carrots, Celery, Peas, Corn. You can add or subtract just about any of the veggies in this recipe and use your favorites with great results.
- Better Than Bouillon. This is a pretty important ingredient in this chicken pot pie recipe. It is my favorite chicken base and imparts the best flavor. You can use another brand or bouillon cubes or chicken broth/stock, but be warned it won’t taste exactly the same.
- 2% milk. Whole or 1% milk work well, I do not recommend using fat-free milk.
- All-purpose flour. You can sub gluten-free all-purpose flour if desired. Also bread flour works well in a pinch.
- Egg Wash. Optional but recommended. You can use just an egg yolk or just cream if desired, but I find a combination works the best.
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pies
These chicken pot pies freeze extremely well and is a good stockpile for freezer meals to have on hand. In order to freeze, make the recipe for the chicken and the pot pie mixture. Once complete, allow to cool to room temperature and then place in ziplock bags. Be sure to remove all the air from the bags and lay flat for easy storage. Once youre ready to use, remove the ziplock bag from the freezer to defrost overnight in the fridge. Place the mixture in individual ramekins and top with the phyllo dough. Bake as per recipe directions.
Lets stay connected! I love chatting with you guys especially when you make my recipes. Feel free to follow me on , or !
Also Check: Domino’s Piece Of The Pie Rewards
How Do I Prevent A Potpie Crust From Getting Soggy
- For a single-crust pie, prebake the crust before filling.
- Brush the crust with a beaten egg white. This will help seal the crust and prevent the liquid filling from absorbing into the crust.
- Pour the filling into the crust while its still hot and immediately place the potpie in the oven. The heat from the filling will help set the crust.
- Bake the pie on a lower rack in the oven. Since heat is concentrated at the bottom, placing the potpie on the lowest rack ensures the bottom of the crust will bake up crisp and golden brown.
Expert Tips And Tricks For The Perfect Chicken Pot Pie
- Use cream or half-and-half This gives the chicken pot pie filling a lovely, rich and creamy texture.
- Poke holes in the pie crust top You cant just put the top part of the pie crust on, crimp the edges, and call it a day. Poke holes to let the steam escape!
- Make mini pot pies You can also do mini-personal sizes for a cute appetizer at a holiday dinner which will make it easier to serve too.
Read Also: Lazy Dog Chicken Pot Pie
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken pot pie looks difficult to make, but in just 20 minutes, youll be done and you can either go put up your feet or get busy with something else until this comfort food is ready. To make it even faster, make this easy chicken pot pie recipe with pie crust that is store bought.
You cant be sad when youre holding chicken pot pie.Megan
How Do You Make Chicken Pot Pie From Scratch
Its very easy to make the ultimate in country comfort from scratch. All you need to do is cook everything together on your stove top, let it cool, fill the pie crust, and bake. My steps below will walk you through it. Its so easy you will wonder why you didnt do this sooner. Start practicing now so you have the perfect warm and satisfying meal on those chilly nights!
Read Also: Best Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Homemade Frozen Chicken Pot Pies
Chicken Pot Pie is a hearty and warm winter dinner that your family can enjoy this season. And this particular chicken pot pie recipe is very flavorful and pretty easy to whip together, if you decide to make one for dinner, this recipe makes a little extra so you can make it into a freezer meal and store it for later.
To help you have the most success with your freezer meal, here are some helpful Chicken Pot Pie tips!
How Many Pie Containers:
- This recipe yields two 9 pies.
- Double this recipe if you want to make multiple containers for freezing.
- A 9×6 square foil pan will work as well!
- This recipe is pretty flexible depending on how deep your container is .
- Consider how much filling to crust ratio your family likes, and this will help guide you on what container to get.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Crust:
You can totally use refrigerated pie crusts for this recipe. They work great and are such a good shortcut option! If you want to make the box of crusts go further, consider only putting the crust on top, and not the bottom, as pictured above.
Ingredients For Chicken Pot Pie:
A chicken pot pie is a meal in itself loaded with vegetables and protein. The high quality ingredients and generous filling really differentiates this from the ones youll find in the freezer section. Once you try homemade, theres no going back. This also requires simple ingredients:
- Double Pie Crust Youll need two pie disks for the top and bottom.
- Chicken Use shredded cooked chicken from a rotisserie chicken or cook your own chicken breasts.
- Butter & Flour These make the roux or base for the gravy sauce
- Onion, Carrots, Mushrooms, & Peas this is loaded with vegetables
- Garlic and Parsley These aromatics and simple salt and pepper balance this savory pie.
- Chicken Stock& Cream form the creamy gravy sauce
Don’t Miss: Pie In Your Face Game
Tips For Cooking The Chicken:
Cook and shred your chicken ahead of time to cut down on prep time. You can reheat the chicken in chicken broth while you are chopping and gathering supplies. This also moistens the chicken again.
- Baked Chicken: Sprinkle with salt & pepper and then brush some olive oil on the chicken breasts. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
- Dutch oven: Place the chicken and 2 cups broth in a large pot or Dutch oven and bring it to a simmer over medium heat. Cook the chicken until it is just done about 10-12 minutes. If the chicken pieces are large, you may need to pound them or cut them in half so they will cook more quickly.
- Slow cooker: Place the chicken and 2 cups of broth in a slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 5 hours.
- Instant Pot: Place the chicken and 1 cup of broth in instant pot liner. Cook frozen chicken on high pressure for 30 minutes and let natural release. If cooking thawed chicken, cook on high pressure for 15 minutes and let natural release.
How Long To Cook After Freezing Chicken Pot Pie:
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400. Unwrap frozen pot pies and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet. Brush crust with beaten egg, cover with foil, and bake 40 minutes. Uncover and bake until crusts are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let pot pies rest 10 minutes before serving.
Read more: how to cook chicken pot pie from store | best choice kitchen
Recommended Reading: American Pie 2 Full Movie
Best Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe is made completely from scratch and is the best chicken pot pie you’ll ever eat. A delicious filling made with a from-scratch sauce is nestled between two layers of flaky, buttery homemade pie crust for a meal your entire family will love.
Is there a more classic, cozy, fall meal than Chicken Pot Pie ? This homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe is made completely from scratch and is the best chicken pot pie you’ll ever eat.
I often find chicken pot pie recipes with lots of processed ingredients – but not this from scratch version! You’ll never used condensed soups or buy a frozen pot pie again after trying this homemade chicken pot pie!
The delicious filling is thick and made with a from-scratch sauce that is never runny! And it’s all enveloped in a homemade double layer pie crust that is flaky and buttery, a meal your entire family will love!
Can I Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
- Yes, you can freeze chicken pot pie. I recommend freezing the pie unbaked, because if the baked pie is frozen, the crust may become soggy when thawed out.
- First, follow the recipe as written, except for baking.
- Then, wrap the unbaked pie well in two or three layers of plastic wrap, and one of foil. Freeze for up to three months.
- Bake directly from frozen at 350°F for about one hour, until piping hot all the way through and golden brown on top.
Also Check: Apple Pie Baked In A Paper Bag
Rolling Out The Crust
Roll out the pie crust first and place it in the refrigerator before making the filling. This process gives the butter in the dough plenty of time to firm up so that the warm filling doesnt cause it to melt before baking. This recipe uses a double-crust pie to encase the chicken mixture.
Roll out the bottom and top crusts to ¼-inch thick. This provides a sturdy base and cover. Use a 9-inch pie dish to lay one portion of the dough inside, then trim off the excess. Place the top crust on a baking sheet, it will be further shaped later.
The Best Chicken Pot Pie With Homemade Pie Crust
Chicken pot pie remains one of the most comforting dinners of all time. With a delicious, savory filling of juicy chicken, tender vegetables, and a creamy gravy enclosed in a double-layer of flaky pie crust, its really no wonder this dish has stood the test of time.
If youre looking for a foolproof, homemade chicken pot pie recipe youve come to the right place. Made with real ingredients and no cans, this recipe has received stellar reviews from taste testers. Today, in addition to delivering the best recipe, well also cover some helpful tips for making homemade pie crust for chicken pot pie, why a handful of simple ingredients is all you need to make a perfect, creamy pot pie filling from scratch, ways to customize your pot pie vegetable line up, and more!
Before we can deem a chicken pot pie recipe the best, we have to ask ourselves, what is it that makes it the best? I think we can all agree, the best recipe must possess:
- A flaky chicken pot pie crust on both the top and the bottom.
- A creamy, savory gravy.
- A hearty serving of white meat chicken and a hefty serving of vegetables.
Read Also: How To Make Shepherd’s Pie Easy
Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients
- Chicken With rotisserie chicken ready to go, youll make chicken pot pie even easier! Otherwise, cooked chicken breasts work perfect.
- Frozen peas and carrots Frozen veggies have the same nutrients as fresh but peas and carrots are so much easier to work with frozen.
- Pie crust A ready-made chicken pot pie crust or even puff pastry makes it even faster to get dinner on the table. Read the ingredients and youll see ones that are fresh and free of artificial ingredients. If you have some time, use this homemade chicken pot pie crust recipe.
What Makes A Better Pie Crust Butter Or Shortening
The pros: Butter has the best flavor and it forms light, lofty, flaky layers in pie crust. The cons: Butter can be harder to work with than lard or shortening because of its lower melting point, so the dough temperature has to be just right. If it gets too warm, it will be too soft to handle and will tear easily.
Also Check: Campbells Soup Chicken Pot Pie