How To Make Peach Pie From Scratch
This peach pie takes effort, but it is so worth it! Trust me you will be carving out time in your schedule to make sure you can make this amazing homemade pie!
This Pie Is Phenomenal
The taste of flaky crust, soft peaches, luscious filling and whipped cream has to be as close to heaven as you can get in late summer.
Just a couple gentle words of advice, friend to friend:
- strongly consider doubling and making two pies
- be prepared to find a quiet moment to eat your pie alone so you can mitigate the need to share AND so you can savor each bite with your eyes closed
- do not be alarmed if you hear angels singing
- start praying now for a good healthy crop of fresh peaches next year
Last time, I promise: this pie is phenomenal. Enjoy it!
- 9-inchpie crust recipe
- 2medium fresh peaches
- Sweetened whipped cream,for serving
- 1cupgranulated sugar
- 1tablespoonfresh lemon juice
- 3medium fresh peaches
- ¼teaspoonvanilla extract,can sub with almond extract
How To Make A Peach Pie With Fresh Peaches
Categories Garden Recipes
This post may contain affiliate links. That means if you click and buy, I may receive a small commission. Please read my full disclosure policy for details.
With peaches are in season right now, what better way to enjoy them than by making a peach pie? YUM! Lets look at how to make a peach pie with fresh peaches.
Read Also: Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
When Is Idaho Peach Season
Idaho?s climate provides in-season peaches from late-June to late-August. With its cold winters, Idaho?s warmer temperatures do not arrive until summertime, so Idaho peaches are not in season until a bit later. However, once summer arrives, Idaho reaches warmer temperatures, perfect for growing these delicious fruits.
At Hale Groves, we guarantee that customers will receive their?peach gifts?as fresh as possible. We ensure that every box of shipped Georgia Peaches arrives on time with only the freshest, ripest fruit. We?ship peaches?in our signature crush-proof boxes for blemish-free arrival. At Hale, we guarantee our peaches will land on your doorstep and taste like they were just picked off the tree a few minutes before. Our customers have continued to shop with Hale Groves because they know that we make their satisfaction our number one priority.
How To Make Fresh Peach Pie With Crumb Topping
Start by removing the pit from 8-10 peaches and cutting into slices.
I prefer very ripe peaches if I can find them. The more ripe they are, the intense the flavor.
I also seldomly peal my peaches. Thats a personal choice, but if the peaches are supper juicy, it can be tricky, plus I dont find that the peal in the pie detracts from the dish.
To your sliced peaches, add brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Gently stir everything together.
If you have whole nutmegs and a microplane grater, this is a great recipe to make them shine.
Place the pie filling into a pie plate already lined with a pie crust and dot the top with butter. Any why wouldnt you dot it with butter?
Lets talk about pie crust for a moment.
When making crust from scratch, I use my Grandmothers recipe. Its been the go-to crust in our family for 3 generations, and Ive been using it myself since the age of 10 when I first started making pies. Im not going to mention the vast number of years that actually is.
If crust from scratch isnt your thing, choose a good quality refrigerator crust over the frozen, pre-formed variety. They taste better, in my opinion.
My Homemade Crust Recipe also contains several tips for getting the crust perfectly into the pie plate and for shaping the edges of the crust.
Also Check: Pie Company Traverse City Michigan
How To Serve It
Allow the pie to cool off until its warm or at room temperature. You can slice and serve fresh peach pie as it is or serve it with toppings.
- Serve it with scoops of vanilla ice cream or make it extra peachy with some homemade peach ice cream.
- Or top the slices with delicious homemade whipped cream. Sprinkle some cinnamon over the top for garnish or decorate with a sprig of fresh mint.
- For a special treat, add a drizzle of warm caramel sauce with the ice cream or whipped cream.
How To Serve Fresh Peach Pie
This homemade peach pie is best served chilled. Because of this, youll have to think ahead when making the pie: its best made on the weekend when youve got lots of time. But you can make it ahead 1 day: it saves well! Though it requires a few hours to make, I have no doubt youll love my moms peach pie recipe: its the ultimate summer dessert!
Don’t Miss: What Do You Need To Make Apple Pie
Double Crust Fresh Peach Pie
How can it be August before I have found the opportunity to bake a fresh peach pie? At a dinner party last night, I remorsefully confessed that I havent made a single peach pie yet this summer. So, you can imagine what was placed at the top of the priority list this week . Double Crust Fresh Peach Pie!It is the peak of Loring season, a sweet and juicy free-stone peach, here at Eckerts and because of that, Theo and I knew our peaches were destined to become the best peach pie of the season. And thanks to record peach size this year, it only took four Loring peaches to make up our six cups of sliced fruit. Impressive to say the least!
Theo lent me a hand in making our first peach pie of the summer. He helped me combine the peach slices with flour and sugar before pouring them into the pie shell. As it turns out, he is an expert pie crust fluter! He sealed the peaches into the pie shell by trimming the extra pie dough and pinching the top crust around the perimeter of the pie.
Next, we stole a few tips from Eckerts Bakery as we cut a center vent into our crust and marked the sides with three xs to indicate it as a peach pie. Inside the oven, excess juices escaped from our pie vent while sweetening the air in the kitchen. In about an hour, our pie was baked to perfection and the rest is history.
After about an hour and a half of cooling, we sliced our pie and topped it with frozen custard. Honestly, I cant imagine a better summer dessert.
How To Peel Peaches For Fresh Peach Pie
Before you dive into making this gorgeous fresh fruit pie, I wanted to give you a quick run-down on how to peel peaches:
- First, start with ripe peaches. Those hard, not-yet-ripe peaches you find piled high at the grocery store wont work for this process. Make sure your peaches are firm, but the flesh gives slightly when you press on them.
- Bring water in a pot to a rolling boil. While waiting for the water to boil, prepare an ice bath.
- Carefully place your peaches in the boiling water and leave them there for 30 seconds.
- After 30 seconds, remove them with a spoon and immediately put them in your ice bath.
- After 10 seconds, remove the peaches from the ice bath. Pinch the skin and pull it off the peach flesh.
This method will give you perfectly peeled peaches!
You May Like: Aluminum Pie Pans With Lids
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 If you’d rather, 1/8 tsp. of nutmeg can be substituted for the cinnamon for a subtle nutty flavor.
- tip 2 Bake your pie on the middle oven rack for best results! You can also place a sheet of foil on the rack below the middle oven rack to catch any spillovers that might bubble out during baking.
- tip 3 Brushing the top of the pie crust with peach preserves yields lightly sweetened pie crust and beautiful sheen.
When Is California Peach Season
California, with a milder climate, does not get very warm until mid-summer, but it will stay warm well into the fall. California peaches typically begin to be harvested in late-June. However, they remain in season much longer than many other peaches as they continue to be harvested until mid-September.
Don’t Miss: Lazy Dog Chicken Pot Pie
The Peaches To Use For This Fresh Peach Pie
Lets get started on the recipe, shall we? Lets go over a few notes before we start. Heres what to look for when you buy peaches for your fresh peach pie:
- Good, room-temperature just ripe peaches are the key to this recipe. Make sure the peaches are just beginning to ripen and slightly soft to the touch, but not overly ripe. If you use too ripe of peaches, the juice of the peaches will make the filling more runny.
- Ripen them at home as necessary. If you buy them when they are hard, you can ripen them for a few days in a brown paper bag .
- Buy a few extra, just in case. Buying a few extra peaches is good insurance in case a peach goes bad.
Does Your Pie Filling Seem Runny Right Out Of The Oven
Having trouble with the peach pie being runny? The runniness is determined by how many cuts you make to the peaches and how ripe they are. If you have riper, juicier peaches, you might want to try to cut the peaches only in half before placing them in the pie shell. You can also add a little more cornstarch to the sugar before adding the cream if you notice that the peaches are very juicy.
The pie will set up when it gets cold. Dont expect it to set up when baking! Remember that it is to be served ice cold and will set up more when it gets cold in the refrigerator.
Also Check: My Little Pony Pinkie Pie Toy
How Do You Know Which Peaches Make The Best Pies
Although it is the yellow and white peaches that are most ideal, color is not always an important factor.
Peaches are available in two varieties:
- freestone a freestone peach means that the juicy flesh of the fruit falls off the pit easily
- clingstone these peaches get their name from how the flesh of the peach clings to the pit, which makes it difficult to remove
Choosing the right variety is the important first step when choosing the right peaches for the perfect pie. The better pie-making peach is the freestone variety.
What peaches are freestone?
Freestone peaches are a type of peach that has a pit that can be removed easily. These types of peaches have less sugar than clingstone peaches and usually ripen faster. Freestone varieties include
- Santa Rosa
- Rio Oso Gem
- Georgia Belle
You can grow your own freestone peach trees. Peach trees love climates that get hot in the summer and winters get below 45 degrees
In the meantime, until your tree starts producing fruit, you can find fresh peaches at your local farmers market.
To make fresh peach pie, you will need to select at least 8 good-sized peaches . Just ensure you have enough peaches to equal 7 ½ cups when sliced.
Have more peaches than you need? Here are 7 ways to preserve peaches for later.
Fresh Peach Pie From Scratch
Peach season is achingly short and every year I buy bushel after bushel of fresh yellow peaches as long as they hold out. In Georgia, thats mid-May to early August. In California, that season starts in late June and wraps up toward the end of August, but in other parts of the country its a more like late-July to September.
There are so many incredible peach desserts to be made but this fresh peach pie is right up at the top of my list next to peach ice cream. They are my must make recipes of the summer!
If you love my reader-favorite strawberry pie and you also like peaches, then you are guaranteed a homerun with this recipe. Its basically the exact same thing just using a different fruit and adjusting the cornstarch a bit to account for the additional juice from the peaches.
I opted for a naked pie presentation here rather than decorating the whole thing with whipped cream. Instead I piped swirls of sweetened whipped cream on top of each slice just before serving.
Don’t Miss: Quick And Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Can I Use Frozen Peaches In This Recipe
Absolutely! My preference is fresh because you can really judge how ripe they are and know what type of peach you are buying, but defrosted peaches will definitely work when fresh are not available with no other recipe changes.
Bake the pie on a foil lined cookie sheet to help with any drips and also to prevent over browning of the crust.
I LOVE questions, comments, and reviews. Leave me one below!
FOLLOW me on Pinterest and make sure to Pin this now!
Old Fashioned Apple Lattice Pie
Our Old Fashioned Apple Lattice Pie tastes as good as it looks! We start with an old-fashioned, handcrafted crust thats light and flaky and pack it full of fresh Ida Red Apples grown in New York State. Then, we add just enough sugar and cinnamon to accentuate the fresh apple taste and bake it to golden perfection.
Also Check: Does Aldi Sell Pie Crust