Shortcut Tips For Chicken Pot Pie
Next time you are short on time and want to make a quick family meal that everyone will love, I suggest making this super easy chicken pot pie.
To make it even easier, I used Pillsbury’s Refrigerated Pie Crust. If you have more time, then make a simple homemade pie crust for a more flaky top.
Another shortcut is to use pre-cooked chicken. You can buy pre-cooked, diced oven-roasted chicken at the grocery store , or buy a cooked rotisserie chicken, or use leftovers from a previous chicken or turkey dinner you served.
Crescent Chicken Pot Pie
Serve your family with this chicken pot pie that’s made using vegetables and Pillsbury Crescent Rolls – a tasty dinner.
Provided by Betty Crocker Kitchens
|1 large onion, chopped|
|2 cloves garlic, finely chopped|
|2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves|
|1/2 teaspoon salt|
|1 can condensed cream of chicken soup|
|11/2 cups sour cream|
|4 cups chopped cooked chicken|
|2 bags frozen mixed vegetables, thawed|
|1 can refrigerated Pillsbury Original Crescent Rolls|
- Heat oven to 400°F. Spray 13×9-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
- Spray 10-inch skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add onion cook 3 minutes. Stir in garlic, thyme, salt and pepper cook 2 minutes longer or until onion is tender.
- In large bowl, mix onion mixture, soup, sour cream, chicken and vegetables. Spoon into baking dish.
- On lightly floured surface, unroll dough into 1 long 13×9-inch rectangle firmly press perforations and edges to seal. Place dough over filling. Fold over edges to fit inside casserole. Cut small slits in top of dough.
- Bake 20 minutes or until crust is deep golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts : Calories426, Carbohydrate29 g, Fat2 1/2, Fiber3 g, Protein31 g, SaturatedFat9 g, ServingSize1 Serving, Sodium731 mg
How To Reheat Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Stove: Reheat large batches on the stove over medium low heat, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Microwave: Transfer individual servings to a microwave-safe dish, cover with a microwave-safe lids or paper towel. Microwave for 2 minutes, stir, then continue to microwave for 30-second intervals, if needed.
- Crockpot: Transfer soup to a crockpot and heat on low for 1-3 hours. The time will depend on how much soup you have remaining.
Recommended Reading: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit
Tips For Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- Leftover turkey after Thanksgiving and Christmas is a great idea. Comfort food is always a good option.
- Keep it vegetarian. Skip the meat and add more vegetables. Swap in some potatoes, peas, carrots, and mushrooms!
- Take away the heavy cream and substitute with fat free milk. You may want to add in an extra tablespoon of flour to help this soup thicken up.
- Another way to cut calories would be to remove the cheese and pie crust dippers. I know. Those pie crust dippers are one of the best parts. But if you dont make them, you wont miss them.
Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie Recipe:
Easy chicken pot pie with short cuts to keep dinners easy. Orly first learned how to make this recipe when she found out it was one of her husbands favorite dishes after they first started dating. In other words, this Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie recipe may be so good that the man you are dating wants to marry you- in other words, be careful who you make this for! LOL
This recipe is sure to become a weeknight favorite at your house, simple to make but wholesome and hearty. Perfect for family dinners together.
Pillsbury Chicken Pot Pie Ingredients:
- 2 large or 3 small Chicken Breasts
- 34 teaspoon paprika
- 2 Russet potatoes, small dice
- 1 can of corn, drained
- 1 cup of Frozen Peas
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tube of Pillsbury crescent rolls
Don’t Miss: Wings And Pies New London
What Should I Top Chicken Pot Pie Soup With
Chicken pot pie soup would just be fabulous creamy chicken soup if it wasnt for the topping! To elevate the soup to chicken pot pie soup, serve it with biscuits, oyster crackers or pie crust crackers. Pie crust crackers are exactly what the sound like, crackers made from pie crust! They definitely are the way to go for the complete pot pie experience, but the other options are tasty too because sometimes all you want to do is pop a can of biscuits and bake!
- Pie crust crackers: To make these easy crackers, you can you use this fabulous homemade pie crust recipeor just pick up some store bought pie crust. To make, roll the crust out onto parchment paper or non slip silicone mat. Lightly brush the pie crust with some melted butter and lightly sprinkle with some salt. Cut into thick strips. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the strips are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature, then break into pieces. Now you have pie crust crackers!
- Homemade biscuits: Because nothing is better than homemade! Use your favorite recipe or try my homemade cheddar chive biscuits I made for my traditional pot pie filling.
- Store-bought biscuits: So easy! I used Pillsbury Grands in these photos and they were delish.
- Oyster crackers: Salty, crunchy crackers pack the perfect bite size bursts of flavor and texture in every spoonful.
How To Make This Mini Chicken Pot Pies Recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
STEP TWO: Lay the Pillsbury crescent rolls flat and cut out 12 rounds with a 3-inch cookie cutter.
STEP THREE: Press them into the cupcake pan along the bottom and up the sides.
STEP FOUR: In a bowl mix the chicken, vegetables, chicken broth, and soup.
STEP FIVE: Spoon the chicken mixture into the cups but dont overfill them as it will bubble up during cooking.
STEP SIX: Grab a pizza cutter and cut strips of the dough to go over the top. Two one way then two the other works really well.
STEP SEVEN: Bake in the oven for 18 minutes until golden brown. Use a knife to gently ease the side of the pie away from the pan to ensure it is cooked. It will come away easily once cooked.
STEP EIGHT: Leave the pies to cool a little then use a knife to gently lift them out of the cups once cooled.
Also Check: Where Was Key Lime Pie Invented
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
To make crockpot chicken pot pie soup, you will use almost all of the same ingredients except omit the butter, olive oil and flour and increase the cornstarch. Please note that crockpot chicken pot pie soup wont be quite as thick because liquid doesnt evaporate while cooking like on the stove. Because of this, you want to consider replacing some or all of the half and half with heavy cream.
How to make crockpot chicken pot pie soup:
- Add the chicken, onions, vegetables , spices and 7 cups broth to a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender and the chicken easily shreds with two forks.
- When chicken is tender, shred and return to slow cooker along with the peas.
- Whisk the 3 cups half and half with 3 tablespoons cornstarch and stir into the soup in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes to thicken.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This chicken pot pie soup is quick and easy to make from scratch! Lets make some!
STEP 1: SEAR CHICKEN:
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drying the chicken allows the seasonings to stick. Allowing the chicken time to rest while you prep the veggies helps the seasonings penetrate the chicken.
- Sear chicken in a large Dutch oven/ soup pot until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate but leave drippings.
- Searing the chicken results in the Maillard reaction, in which amino acids and reducing sugars produce browning, and as we know, color= flavor! The delicious brown bits left in the bottom of the pan will be season the entire soup as they permeate the broth.
STEP 2: SAUTÉ VEGETABLES:
- Melt some butter and olive oil with any leftover chicken drippings then add the onions, carrots and celery and sauté for 4 minutes scaping up the golden bits on the bottom of the pan. Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and sauté for 30 seconds.
STEP 3: Add flour
- Sprinkle in the flour then cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes . Cooking the flour gets rid of the raw flour smell and taste.
- The vegetables will not be completely tender at this point but will soften as they simmer with the soup.
STEP 4: simmer soup
STEP 5: thicken soup
- Once chicken is tender, remove to a cutting board, shred and add back to the pot.
- Whisk cornstarch with half and half until smooth then stir back into the pot. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer until thickened.
Recommended Reading: Original Key Lime Pie Company
Easiest Chicken Pot Pie Crust
Maybe you have been doing yard clean up all day and you’re looking for a cozy weekend meal to enjoy with a salad and glass of wine.
When the clock says 3 o’clock, and dinner plans are not finalized, a run to the grocery store is a must.
Quick tips for this easy recipe if you are pressed for time:
- Pick up a couple of fresh rotisserie chickens in the deli department. This is always my already cooked protein of choice, and I can use the leftover carcass to make a nice bone broth or soup.
- and a Pillsbury Pie Crust.
I know- you are probably going to ask Kelly, why don’t I make everything from scratch?! and I will say because your family is going to be hungry in an hour!
I can be a purist when it comes to pie crust, but when pressed for time, store-bought pie crust is the way to go.
More About Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Recipes
THE BEST CHICKEN POT PIE WITH HOMEMADE PIE CRUST
- Add butter and oil to a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. As soon as the butter has melted, add the celery, carrots, and onion and sauté until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir until evenly coated. Add the chicken broth a splash at a time, whisking after each addition, until the mixture begins to resemble a thick pudding. Once this consistency is reached, the remaining broth can be added in.
- Add the salt and pepper, and increase the heat to medium-high. Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in the peas and the diced chicken, and set aside until ready to use.
SLOW-COOKER CREAMY CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE – PILLSBURY.COM
- In small bowl, mix whipping cream, flour, gravy mix, poultry seasoning and salt pour over chicken. Cover cook on Low heat setting 3 to 4 hours or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Stir thawed mixed vegetables into slow cooker. Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until hot. Remove slow cooker insert.
BEST CREAMY CHICKEN POTPIES RECIPE – HOW TO MAKE CREAMY …
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and shape into a disk wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
CLASSIC CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE – PILLSBURY.COM
CREAMY CHICKEN POT PIE – MY RECIPE TREASURES
EASY AND DELICIOUS CREAMY CHICKEN POT PIE-RECIPE
Read Also: Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
Why Is It Called Pot Pie
According to a pot pie recipe from 1845 highlighted in an article on the history of the pot pie by NPR.org, it is because the filling was cooked in a pot with scraps of leftover meat, plus onion and potatoes, like a stew. It was then thickened with flour. The pot pie concept was a carry over from a European practice where the lower class peasants would create a more hearty meal out of the stew by adding the crust, which was inexpensive and would make the dish more filling for a family.
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
Tell everyone you’re having pie for dinner and see how big their smiles are. This homemade chicken pot pie recipe streamlines your work by using frozen peas and carrots and refrigerated Pillsbury Pie Crusts. Swap out chicken for turkey or try a different frozen veggie combo to put your own unique spin on this old-fashioned favorite.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
|1 3/4 cups chicken broth|
|2/3 cup milk|
|2 1/2 to 3 cups cut-up cooked chicken or turkey|
|1 box frozen peas and carrots|
|1 box refrigerated Pillsbury Pie Crusts , softened as directed on box|
- In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly remove from heat. Stir in broth and milk. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in chicken and peas and carrots remove from heat.
- Heat oven to 425°F. Roll 1 pie crust into 13-inch square. Ease into ungreased 9-inch glass baking dish. Pour chicken mixture into crust-lined dish.
- Roll remaining pie crust into 11-inch square. Cut out designs with 1-inch cookie cutter. Place square over chicken mixture. Arrange cutouts on top crust. Turn edges of pie crust under flute edge.
- Bake about 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories562.1, Carbohydrate47.7 g, Cholesterol92.1 mg, Fat6 1/2, Fiber2.4 g, Protein20.3 g, SaturatedFat15.3 g, ServingSize1 Serving, Sodium675.0 mg, Sugar4.0 g, TransFat5 g
Read Also: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie On A Stick
What Can I Prepare Ahead Of Time
This chicken pot pie soup recipe is very simple but it does require some prep work as far as chopping vegetables. You can save time by:
- Trimming chicken: Trim chicken of any excess fat and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Prep mirepoix: The carrots, onions and celery can all be chopped a couple days ahead of time, the night before dinner or just a few hours before cooking then stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Potatoes: can be peeled and chopped 24 ahead of time but they will need to be submerged in a bowl of cold water in the refrigerator to prevent them from turning brown .
- Measure Spices: It doesnt take long to measure out the spices, but you can certainly do it beforehand and store the mix in an airtight bag or container.