Making Fresh Pumpkin Puree
Make sure that you are using pie pumpkins and not carving pumpkins or miniature pumpkins. All of these pumpkins are edible but do not all make a good puree. Carving pumpkins are watery and lack flavour and the little miniature pumpkins are difficult to work with and are quite hard, and can be bitter.
When you are shopping for pie pumpkins they are often labelled as pie pumpkins or sugar pumpkins.
There are two methods for making pumpkin puree, the baking method and the steaming method.
What Is A Good Dessert For A Diabetic
- of 20 Sweets in a Diabetic Diet.
- of 20 Crispy Peanut Butterscotch Pie.
- of 20 Peanut Butter-Banana Pudding.
- of 20 Peanut Butter-and-Jelly Sandwich Cookies.
- of 20 Strawberries with Crunchy Almond Topping.
- of 20 Sour Cream Pound Cake.
- of 20 Black-and-White Cake Cookies.
- of 20 Classic Angel Food Cake.
Ingredients To Make The Pie
This sugar free keto pecan pie has a flaky crust made with almond flour, coconut flour, butter and eggs. The golden syrupy filling is made with brown sugar swerve, butter, eggs and a touch of xanthan gum. See full ingredients for the keto pecan pie in the recipe card down below.
- Almond Flour: ground blanched almonds were used which gives it a slightly nutty flavour
- Coconut Flour: giving a mild sweet taste to the crust
- Brown Sugar Swerve: this low carb sweetener is made with erythritol and gives the filling a touch of caramel flavour that makes them ultra lux.
- Butter: helps create the light flaky pastry that we want in these tarts
- Apple Cider Vinegar: helps to strengthen the dough and make it more springy
- Xanthan Gum: a great low carb stabilizer to prevent the ingredients from separating
- Eggs: helps thicken ane emulsify the luscious filling
Recommended Reading: Recipe For Bean Pies
My Sugar Free Pie Recipes Are Sweeter Than You Ever Imagined
I love pies, even more than cakes! Thats why Ive spent the effort to put up these sugar free pie recipes.
Making them sugar free can sometimes be difficult, but its a lot easier with my sugar free philosophy:
Substitute each part of a recipe you cant eat, until you have created a safe, alternative recipe.
This makes the process of designing sugar free pies much easier. You can find ways to make almost any recipe sugar-free if you know your substitutes well. For example, Erythritol would be a good substitute if you were making a caramel drizzle, but Stevia would not .
Buying Canned Pumpkin Puree
When you are purchasing canned pumpkin puree, make sure that it is sugar-free. Canned Pumpkin puree that is marked 100 percent pure or 100 percent all-natural, usually is sugar-free. This is not the same as the Pumpkin pie filling or Pumpkin pie mix.
Double-check the ingredients list to confirm that there is no sugar added.
If you are searching in the supermarket and can only find pumpkin pie filling or pumpkin pie mix, keep searching. Both pumpkin pie filling and pumpkin pie mix have sugar as the main ingredient, which is not diabetic-friendly. Two brands that are reputable and have great pumpkin taste, which I have used many times, are E.D Smith pumpkin puree and Libbys pure pumpkin puree.
You May Like: Campbells Soup Chicken Pot Pie
Top Tips And Serving Suggestions
Top Tip: once the keto pie is cooled the filling will crystallize a little bit. Simply microwave a slice for about 20 seconds to bring it back to a better consistency.
- Serving: serve the low carb pecan pie warm. Enjoy it topped with a sugar free vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream.
- Storage: store the pie covered in plastic wrap in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Freeze: if you want to freeze the pie you should wrap it in tin foil and then in a strong freezer bag and keep in the freezer for up to one month.
More About This Recipe
- Sugar-free pecan pie may seem like an oxymoron, but we assure you, its possible, do-able and delicious. Whether youre making a lifestyle change, have a dietary restriction or have guests who prefer sugar-free recipes, this dessert is exactly what you need to still indulge but stay mindful of the whole sugar-free thing. It relies on sugar-free syrup and a sugar substitute for that sweetness you crave. This pecan pie is proof that you can still enjoy the foods you love, especially around the holidays, and still adhere to your food lifestyle. You can find more dietary-specific recipes hereits never too early to start planning for holiday baking, especially when you have guests with different diets, health and habits.
Read Also: The Key Lime Pie Company
Sugar Free Pies Near Me: 11 Places For Pies Near You:
Sugar Free Pies Near Me! Weve got you covered. Whether you or a loved one has diabetes, we understand that there isnt always time to eat healthily and go on diets. So get our Sugar-Free Pies Near Me for the quick fix! Theyre guilt-free, with all-natural ingredients that will curb any sugar craving.
These Sugar-Free Pies Near Me are a sweet way to enjoy dessert without the sugar rush. Sugar is often found in pie crusts, so we have whipped up some recipes that dont use any! You can whip these up for Thanksgiving or Christmas Eve if youre looking for something new this holiday season. Heres a list of some Sugar-Free Pies Near Me:
What Are Sugar Free Pies Near Me
Sugar-free pies are an alternative to regular pie if you have diabetes or want to stay away from sugar. Who would like this? People with diabetes, people who cannot eat pie for religious reasons, and those looking to reduce their sugar intake. Sugar-free pies are usually sweetened with sugar substitutes, such as Splenda or Stevia, and they can be made from many different fruits like apples, berries, peaches, pears, or cherries.
You May Like: Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie Key West
Easy To Make Diabetic
Being a diabetic meant always looking for the fruits and vegetables with the lowest carbs and sugar content. Rhubarb is definitely at the top of the list. Our diabetic-friendly sugar-free rhubarb pie checks all the boxes for a great diabetic-friendly dessert.
When you are making any pie from scratch, it is always important to get the best fresh fruit possible. Our diabetic-friendly sugar-free pie is no exception. Here are a few tips on getting the freshest and tastiest rhubarb for your next pie or dessert.
Peanut Butter Cheesecake Mousse Pie
When you hear no bake in a recipe does it make you excited? I’m all about less heating up the kitchen in the warmer months so my mission has been to create luscious no bake recipes lately. This peanut butter pie has been something on my mind for a long time. Ever since I made my no bake raspberry cheesecake mousse and before that my pumpkin cheesecake mousse, and a mint chocolate cheesecake mousse, I knew a peanut butter one was a must have for the summer.
I made this specifically when I knew I was having guests for a party, because quite honestly having this incredible pie around for too long in my house would have been too much of a temptation. So I waited…….
If you saw my recent recipe of Sparkling Basil Lemonade then you know why everyone was coming over. If not you can check it over now and come back here for the review from my friends about this pie!
The lovely friends who joined me for the party were my guinea pigs and all tried a piece to offer their opinions. I love honest opinions, but I was pretty confident this pie was gonna rock their world. Many who attended are not accustomed to eating sugar-free desserts so I knew it had to be good to prove to them desserts without sugar can be just as delicious.
I mean seriously, does it look any different or less delicious knowing it’s made sugar free? I think not!
Read Also: Key West Key Lime Pie The Profit
What To Serve With Your Pie
Pecan pie is absolutely delicious all on its own. You can always dish up a plain slice and dig right in!
I personally like to top mine with a little sugar-free vanilla ice cream. Its a classic combination for a good reason.
You could also top it with some sugar-free whipped cream. Want to make your own? Just beat some heavy whipping cream until stiff peaks form, then add a dollop on top of your pie!
How To Make Keto Pecan Pie
This section shows how to make sugar free pecan pie, with step-by-step photos and details about the technique. For full instructions, see the recipe card below.
- Make the crust. Get the almond flour pie crust recipe here, or choose one of the other crust options above. Let it cool for 15-20 minutes after baking.
- Make the caramel sauce. Heat butter and Besti until golden. Add cream and salt, then simmer until bubbly, dark golden, and thick.
TIP: The caramel sauce should coat the back of a spoon. It should be thick, but not burnt.
- Add extracts. Remove from heat, then stir in vanilla and maple extracts. Let the caramel sauce cool until its no longer hot, but still warm.
- Add egg. Whisk an egg, then stir into the caramel filling.
- Fill the crust. Place chopped pecans into the crust. Pour the caramel filling mixture over the pecans. Top with pecan halves.
- Bake. Cover the edges of the pie crust with foil, leaving the center open. Bake until golden, bubbly, and almost set .
- Cool. Cool completely at room temperature to set. For best results, chill for at least 1 hour before slicing.
You May Like: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Are Keto Recipes Good For Diabetics
The Ketogenic diet and a diet to manage your diabetes have something in common. They are trying to reduce the intake of carbohydrates.
Their goals, however, are slightly different.
If you just started the keto diet, you know that your goal is to be in ketosis. Ketosis is a metabolic state where your body turns your stored fat into ketones and uses them as energy sources. Since you have reduced your blood glucose, the muscles, brain, and other tissues in your body use these ketones,
With diabetes, the goal is different. Your body doesnt produce enough insulin. Insulin is responsible for helping to store blood glucose for later use. As a result, people with diabetes tend to have a very high blood glucose levels. So the goal to manage diabetes is to keep that blood sugar level low. This is done through the consumption of low Glycemic Index / low GL foods.
There has been some research to try to understand if the Keto diet can be useful for people with diabetes.
- For Type 1 diabetes, the Keto diet might help manage A1C levels and glycemic control. But it is absolutely essential to talk to your doctor before starting.
- For Type 2 diabetes, it is now well-known that the Keto diet can have very positive effects.
Equipment Used To Make
Having the right equipment is essential when baking but sometimes I like to make due with what I have. Here are some of the items I used to make this keto pecan pie.
- I always have parchment paper on hand, for me, it is a must for baking.
- Using silicone rubber spatulas always come in handy when baking, wooden spoons are a good substitute if it’s just for mixing
- Having a good strong whisk on helps to bring a lot of ingredients together
- I couldn’t have made this recipe without a heavy bottom saucepan
- Making this sugar free pecan pie would not be possible without a pie plate
- My rolling pin does not get enough use as sometimes. I often use a tumbler glass to roll out dough but in a recipe like this I prefer a rolling pin.
Read Also: Old Fashioned Grape Pie Recipe
Tips On How To Make And Serve Sugar Free Apple Pie
- Keep your pie crust ingredients cold. Never allow your pie crust ingredients to heat up, that especially is true for the butter. Overmixing can add unwanted heat to the crust.
- Make sure the filling is completely cool before filling the bottom crust. Not only is it better for the crust as discussed above, but allowing the sugar-free apple pie filling to cool will enable it to thicken entirely.
- Add a sprinkling of cheese before baking. Cheddar cheese goes great with apple pie. Try it out by spreading a handful of shredded cheddar to the top of the crust for the last five minutes of baking.
Sugar Free Pecan Pie Ingredients
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for keto friendly pecan pie, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For measurements, see the recipe card below.
- Keto Pie Crust I used almond flour pie crust, but see below for other options.
- Butter Use unsalted butter, or sub coconut oil for a dairy-free option.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend The key to a smooth texture in your sugar-free pecan pie filling. Its sweet, tastes just like sugar, dissolves completely, and wont crystallize, all with 0 net carbs.
- Heavy cream Or coconut cream for a dairy-free option.
- Sea salt
- Pecans Chopped for the filling and whole for topping.
Also Check: Apple Pie Baked In A Paper Bag
Can You Freeze Pumpkin Puree
You can freeze the puree, just keep in mind that when defrosting, there can be extra moisture in your puree.
If the puree seems to wet, pour it into a strainer and allow it to sit until some of the liquid drains out.
- Adjust oven temperature to 375°f
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well at low speed.
- Pour the filling mixture into the baked shell.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 45 50 minutes.
- To check for doneness, try the knife test.
- Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Ser with sugar-free whipped topping
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE
Free Printable: Low Carb & Keto Food List
A low carb keto pecan pie recipe will make your holiday table complete! This one is so much like the real thing that no one will know the difference. I worked on this recipe for weeks to make it the best sugar-free pecan pie, and recently updated the filling with Besti powdered sweetener to make the texture even better than the older versions.
I hope youll find a spot for this keto pie recipe in your holiday celebrations or anytime you want a special treat. If you want to try other keto pies, youll love keto pumpkin pie, low carb apple pie, or sugar-free coconut cream pie.
Most pecan pie recipes use corn syrup and a sugar-y crust made with wheat. So, how to make sugar-free pecan pie without these?
The biggest difference is the filling. Instead of corn syrup, were going to use a variation of sugar-free caramel sauce, made with Besti powdered sweetener so that its perfectly smooth and gooey. Other erythritol or monk fruit sweeteners will crystallize or harden, but not Besti. Adding vanilla and maple extract makes this low carb pecan pie just like the real thing, and that caramel sauce solidifies to a decadent filling when cooled.
- Taste like the real thing
- Easy to make in advance
- Only 4g net carbs per slice
Recommended Reading: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie On A Stick Key West