The Makings Of Low Sodium Chicken Pot Pies
Filling the pan with the pie crust. I tried to stretch it as much as possible to the top of the muffin tin.
Mixing in the herbs after chicken was sauteed with garlic, celery, and carrots
Adding in the chicken mixture to the pastry in the muffin tins
Pricking the tops of the chicken pot pies pre-baking
Cheesy Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits
Possibly our favorite comfort food of fall, this Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits is cozy, delicious and a such fun twist on traditional chicken pot pie. We take a classic creamy pot pie filling full of chicken, carrots, celery, and potatoes and stud it with sharp cheddar cheese and then top it off with fluffy, tender cheddar chive biscuits. Heaven in a casserole dish.
Ingredients In Lightened Up Chicken Pot Pie
This healthy chicken pot pie comes together with protein packed chicken, carrots, buttery gold potatoes, onions and peas, fresh herbs and seasonings.
The sauce is made a little bit lighter with almond milk and chicken broth instead of heavy cream, which makes me happy.
To make dairy free chicken pot pie: if youd like you can use vegan butter to make the crust dairy free.
Bottom line: This chicken pot pie is simply glorious.
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
Why We Love Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- SO cozy
- super tasty
Dont get me wrong, I love the real deal chicken pot pie but when you want a better-for-you version.. you have to try this Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup!
We kept this soup completely nut free, gluten free, dairy free, paleo and Whole30 friendly for you. There are lots of substitutions included below depending on what you need for your diet as well!
The soup gets its creaminess from potatoes no milk or flour needed here! Its totally rich and thick youd never know.
Let me show you how to make it!
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
this recipe makes 8 BIG servings.
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup sweet potato, diced small
- 1 cup russet potato, diced small
- 1 cup celery, diced small
- 1 cup carrots, diced small
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 2 cups pearl onions, thawed
- 1 lb bonesless, skinless chicken breast, diced small
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp TJs 21 seasoning salute
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 TB cornstarch
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 4-5 sheets whole wheat fillo dough
in a large pot or deep saucepan, bring your broth to a boil
slice and dice those veggies and add them all to the broth once it is boiling.
cover and let the veggies cook for at least 8 minutes. they should be fork-tender. remove the lid and add your chicken.
cook the chicken in the broth & veggies, stirring occasionally.
once the chicken is cooked through , turn the heat to low-medium and use a slotted spoon to dish veggies & chicken into a bowl.
next, combine the milk and flour in a bowl with a whisk.
add the cornstarch
pour mixture into the broth.
add all of your seasonings at this point. cook over low-medium heat until it is nice and thick.
add your chicken & veggies back into the pot.
add your quinoa.. which you should have cooked by now. you have, right? hope so!
pour mixture into a 13×9 baking dish.
get your fillo dough ready!
dont be worried if you tear it to shreds.. just make sure you get a couple layers of dough covering the casserole dish.
time to dig in!
You May Like: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Why Youll Love This Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Low carb. This hearty soup is soup-er satisfying while keeping the carbs way down!
- Pot Pie in a soup. Two delicious dishes in one! Packed with chicken, veggies, and seasoning, its a luscious, delicious pot pie filling turned into a soul-warming soup, so good!
- An easy soup. Made with a handful of kitchen staples, this filling soup is a breeze to whip up!
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Choose your veggies. Use a 1-pound bag of your favorite vegetable medley in place of the frozen mixed vegetables.
- tip 2 Feel like fish? Use a 6-ounce can of tuna, drained, instead of the cut-up chicken for a low-fat Tuna Pot Pie.
- tip 3 If you have leftover cooked vegetables, use them instead of the frozen vegetables.
Recommended Reading: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
My Love/hate Relationship With Chicken Pot Pie
Growing up, I never looked forward to eating chicken pot pie. The only time I ever had it was at my grandmas house, and she used cream of mushroom soup inside of it. Now, my grandma is an AMAZING cook. But something about that creamy canned soup taste just wasnt for me.
Years ago, as a newlywed, I decided to take on the task of making a pot pie that I loved. My husband grew up not eating traditional American dishes like this one, so the challenge was on. I made a delicious recipe, and would make it every so often for us for dinner. It didnt use those creamy soups, and it made a thick creamy sauce using flour, butter, and milk. The end result was absolutely delicious.
Fast forward a few years, and here I was, wanting to make a GOOD pot pie again. But this time, I wanted to make a lighter version that would fit into my lifestyle. The problem is, I really wanted to make an authentic pot pie recipe with a super creamy filling. I wanted it to taste like everything I envisioned, but I also wanted it to be lighter. How would I do it?
Last year I tried to make a lightened up pot pie for meal prep, and quite frankly, I failed miserably. I never revisited it until recently, and here we are. I am in love with this recipe. It tastes like the real deal, the portions are huge, and its a crowd pleaser.
Is This Chicken Pot Pie Healthy
Yes, todays chicken pot pie recipe is healthy. Heres why:
As always, boneless, skinless chicken breast is our favorite source of protein due to its versatility and low fat content. Lets take a look at the nutrition facts in a 4-oz raw chicken breast:
- Calories: 136
- Saturated fat: 0.64 g
- Protein: 25.4 g
Since its low in fat, the chicken breast is also relatively low in calories. Plus, thanks to its versatility, you can combine this lean cut with a reduced-calorie diet to lower your daily calorie intake.
In addition, eating skinless chicken breast may help lose weight.
With its high protein content, chicken breast is every fitness gurus favorite as it helps build and maintain muscle. High-protein foods can also help you stay full longer, preventing you from munching on unhealthy snacks and consuming excess calories.
If you love similar healthy, low-fat chicken recipes, check out our baked chicken breast recipe. Its just as simple, easy to make, and delicious.
Read Also: The Key Lime Pie Company
Healthy Chicken Pot Pie For The Soul
Later that evening, I got to work on my healthy chicken pot pie. There was something special about doing what I loved. Something I could not take for granted. I knew needed to appreciate it more.
I acknowledged to myself that cooking was something I needed to slow down and take in with all my senses. Often Im rushing to get a recipe done because of the daylight or because of a deadline the only thing rushing does is take the creativity out of the craft.
Like painting is to an artist, cooking seems to lights my soul on fire. And so I took a step back, a deep breath, and determined myself to make this the best healthy chicken pot pie youd ever have. I would take it slow, I would appreciate my craft and I would perfect the recipe.
Pour Mixture Into A 9 Inch Deep Dish Pie Plate And Cover With Pie Shell
Chicken pot pie recipe low calorie. Instructions to make the Keto Chicken Pot Pie. Reduce heat to low add gelatin to pan and stir until gelatin dissolves. Turn heat to low and continue cooking.
Preheat your oven to 400F. Transfer to a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Saute your vegetables in a large skillet until tender.
A really great low fat Weight Watchers chicken pot pie recipe that will leave you filled to the rim CALORIES. Reduce heat to medium and repeat with another 1 tablespoon oil and the remaining chicken. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
So I revamped this classic dish to make a healthy and low fat chicken pot pie recipe. Let stand for 30 minutes. CHICKEN POT PIE SOUP 350 calories per serving PRINT THIS RECIPE.
Make sure you crimp the edges of the pie shell to the plate so no juices spill in. Add half the chicken and cook until well browned 2 to 3 minutes per side. Another bonus of this soup is that its quick to prepare as it also uses precooked chicken strips for convenience so its perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
2 cups chopped cooked chicken leftover or pulled from a store-bought rotisserie chicken 14 cup flour. Allow to hydrate for 15 minutes. It only has 210 calories per serving 42 grams of fat and is loaded with vegetables.
Full ingredient nutrition information of the WW Chicken Pot Pie Calories. Make the dough large enough to cover the pies. Add chopped up chicken and cook about 5 minutes.
Pin On Food Dinner
Pin On Yummy
Read Also: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
What Is A Chicken Pot Pie
A pot pie is a type of meat pie that consists of flaky crusts and savory fillings. The main choice of protein for the dish can be beef, poultry, seafood, or vegan-friendly plant-based meat substitutes.
The preparation and cooking methods of a chicken pot pie vary depending on the preference and imagination of chefs. Culinary skills aside, chicken pot pie is indisputably one of the most popular comfort foods in the U.S and is considered one of the top must-try American staples.
If youve never had chicken pot pie before, dont expect to be dazzled by an otherworldly gastronomic experience. Rather than that, each bite is like a warm, soothing hug for your stomach and soul, bringing you the feel of a cozy, traditional American family meal.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Read Also: Damgoode Pies Kavanaugh
Substitutions And Tips And Tricks For Recipe Success
- Again, when making the biscuits work with cold ingredients!
- Try making this with lobster or shrimp for a seafood version!
- Add any of your favorite veggies pearl onions, sweet potatoes, butternut squash would all be great additions.
- You can swap out the whole milk for low-fat milk, it wont be as creamy, but will still work!
- For glistening biscuits, brush the tops with egg wash.
- If you dont have fresh herbs on top, feel free to leave them off.
- If the biscuits start to brown a little bit too much, lower the dish to the bottom part of the oven,.
Tips Tricks And Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I have to use coconut milk? Full fat coconut milk really does help to make this soup nice and creamy but if you prefer you can likely use plain almond milk instead. If you can tolerate dairy well, feel free to use whole-milk if you prefer.
- What can I sub for arrowroot starch? Corn starch or tapioca flour will work well!
- Dice the potatoes roughly the same size so that they cook evenly.
- Any other veggies I can use? Of course! Feel free to add in corn, green beans, or even bell peppers if you like.
- Two tablespoons of arrowroot starch should thicken the soup nicely, however if you prefer things on the thicker side, feel free to add more arrowroot starch to the soup one teaspoon at a time until it has reached your desired consistency.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Dairy Free Lemon Meringue Pie
How To Make It
How To Make This Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- First, Sauté the veggies- In a Dutch oven/large pot with oil, saute your diced onion and carrots, then add garlic.
- Add the milk mixture In a small bowl, whisk together the stock and flour. The pour into the large pot with the milk. Whisk until combined.
- Then, add your other ingredients Stir in the peas, corn, and add the cooked chicken.
- Season add in salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste.
- Simmer Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15 mins.
- Garnish, serve, and enjoy!
- To keep this recipe simple and quick, use rotisserie or leftover chicken.
- Shredded turkey would work perfect for using up Thanksgiving leftovers!
- Sweat your veggies. Make sure your onion and carrots are cooked long enough, so you release their flavor.
- Chop your ingredients into spoon sizes. Also, make sure your chicken, carrots, etc, are cut into even, bite-sized pieces, for easy eating!
- Opt for a low sodium chicken stock, so you can control your salt levels.
- Make sure to simmer your soup, but dont over boil it. If you over boil your soup, the veggies will get mushy and the meat will toughen.
- Dont add cold milk. If your milk it too cold it can curdle.
- Garnish with some curly parsley.
- If you want more herbs, you can throw in some thyme, rosemary, or bay leaves.
- This soup should keep well in the refrigerator in an airtight container for 3 days.
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery