How To Store An Ice Cream Cake
This ice cream cake is actually a great recipe to make ahead. You can layer everything together, cover it and leave it in the pan you built it in. It should be fine sitting in the pan for about a week ahead of time. Then you can frost it the of or the day before you need it so that the decorations looks nice and fresh.
After decorating, its ideal to store it in a container in the freezer. If you dont have a container that size or space in your freezer, itll be fine for a few days in your freezer.
Ice Cream Cake Decorating And Topping Ideas
Lauren Habermehl for Taste of Home
When it comes to toppings and , youre only limited by your imagination! We kept things simple with our cakeopting for chocolate ganache drips around the edge, a ribbon of piped whipped icing on the edges and bottom and a healthy smattering of rainbow sprinkles. Here are a few other you could try:
- Caramel or butterscotch drizzle
- Chopped mint chocolate candies like Andes or York Peppermint Patties
- Chopped candy bars like Snickers, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups or Twix
- Crushed Oreos, chocolate chip cookies or pretzels
- Cookie dough bits, pastry pieces or brownie bites
How To Store Ice Cream Cake
This ice cream cake should be stored in the freezer. It will melt quickly if not kept in the freezer. It will stay good wrapped carefully with plastic wrap, or in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 7 days. Ice crystals will form on the cake and lower its quality after that amount of time. I recommend serving the cake within 24 to 48 hours after making the ice cream cake.
If you have any leftover ice cream cake, you can store the leftovers for up to 6 or 7 days in the freezer after serving. Store the leftovers by placing the remaining cake in an airtight container. Or by slicing up individual pieces and wrapping them first in plastic wrap, then in a freezer safe bag.
Also Check: Deep Dish Glass Pie Plate
Can This Be Made Gluten
Absolutely. To make this recipe gluten-free, swap all ingredients for gluten-free varieties. There are many gluten-free ice creams, chocolates and Oreo-like cookies on the market, so swapping for these can be done in a 1:1 ratio. One ingredient youll want to pay close attention to is the powdered sugar for the whipped cream icing. While most powdered sugars are gluten-free, some include a starch that may contain gluten.
For a vegan recipe, opt for dairy-free and vegan-friendly ingredient alternatives. Everything can be done in a 1:1 swap with great success. There are so many vegan ice cream brands to choose from that as a vegan its 100% possible to have your ice cream cake, and eat it too!
How To Make Ice Cream Cake At Home
Wondering how to make an ice cream cake at home? This ice cream cake recipe is an easy and quick way to transform a box of cake mix with your homemade ice cream. Give it a go for your next big event!
Also Check: Create Pie Chart In Powerpoint
How To Make An Ice Cream Cake
1. Line an 8-inch cake pan with plastic wrap. Transfer all the ice cream to your lined cake pan and then cover with another layer of plastic. Press down into a flat layer and freeze.
2. Prepare and cool an 8-inch chocolate cake and cover the top with the chocolate fudge sauce using an offset spatula.
3. Sprinkle chopped cookies on top of the hot fudge.
4. Remove the ice cream layer from the freezer, unwrap it, and place it on top of the fudge. Cover the whole thing in plastic and place in the freezer while you make the whipped cream.
5. Combine cold whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla and mix starting on low. Gradually increase speed to high and mix until very soft peaks form. Finish off by whisking the whipped cream by hand until the peaks firm up. See my Whipped Cream Recipe for more instructions.
6. Cover the cake with the whipped cream and transfer the rest to a piping bag fitted with a large closed star tip.
7. Pipe a drip of chocolate onto the edge of the entire cake.
8. Pipe a scalloped pattern onto the top edge of the cake with the reserved whipped cream. Press crumbled cookies onto the bottom edge, and the cake is ready to serve.
Ice Cream Cake Recipe
Once upon a time, my husband decided hed like to host a small 4th of July cookout Youd think I would have learned by now that my husband never does anything small. So I really shouldnt have been surprised when, what started as a guest list of about 25 friends and family, quickly spiraled to upwards of 50 people.
To say I was feeling a tad stressed out is an understatement. Luckily he asked everyone to bring a side or dessert, but wed already made two additional trips to Walmart for more meat, utensils, napkins, trash bags, etc Being a firm believer that you can just never have too many desserts, I also asked him to grab the ingredients for my favorite ice cream cake recipe on his last trip.
PIN IT NOW, MAKE IT LATER! .WHILE YOURE AT IT, LETS BE FRIENDS! FOLLOW ME ON FOR MORE EASY RECIPE IDEAS.
Don’t Miss: Who Makes Key Lime Pie Ice Cream
How To Frost A Cake With Whipped Cream
You may think that frosting a cake with whipped cream is going to be more difficult than a buttercream, but its actually fairly easy to work with. These are my best tips for frosting the cake with whipped cream successfully:
- Use a large offset spatula: A large offset spatula is designed to frost cakes with little effort and is my go-to tool of choice when frosting. If you dont have a large spatula you can also use a large butter knife, although the final texture wont be as smooth.
- Use a piping bag: This is my favorite way to frost any kind of cake, but especially whipped cream as it has a much lighter texture and makes it easier to work with. You can fit the piping bag with a round tip, then pipe the whipped cream in a spiral over the top and on the sides of the cake, then use your spatula to smooth the lines out. If you prefer to not use a piping bag thats okay! You can transfer the whipped cream onto the cake using a large spoon and then use your knife or spatula to spread it around the cake.
- Piping rosettes: If you dont have a piping bag you can also use a ziplock bag with the corner cut and then fit it with the star tip. You dont have to use a lot of pressure to create the rosettes as the whipped cream is very airy. To create perfect rosettes, hold the bag directly above the top of the cake and move it in a clockwise motion while squeezing with even continuous pressure.
Simply Recipes / Cambrea Gordon
Tips And Tricks For Making Ice Cream Cake
Making a homemade ice cream cake may seem challenging at first, but it is actually simple to make. Here are a few tips for a rockstar cake:
- Use softened ice cream: This step is important because its very difficult to spread the ice cream if its straight out of the freezer.
- Clear freezer space: Ice cream cakes make frequent trips to the freezer to chill in between layers and before serving. I recommend clearing the space before starting so the cake layers are not sitting at room temperature in between steps which could cause it to melt.
- Use a springform pan: This type of pan is best for an ice cream cake because it allows you to remove it from the pan easily. If you dont have a springform pan you can also use a standard round cake pan.
- Make it ahead: Because this cake has multiple steps and lots of chill time, I recommend making it the day before you plan on serving it. I dont recommend making it too far ahead of time though unless you have some kind of cake carrier container to store it in. Leaving the cake uncovered in the freezer for longer than 1 week will start to take on a stale freezer taste.
Recommended Reading: What Is A Shepards Pie
Timing & Freezer Space
Now that weve talked about that, lets talk about how long this will take you. Making an ice cream cake is not a lot of work I dare say its easier than a baked cake. But it does take time almost entirely hands-off time, but still. If you want an ice cream cake for a birthday party, I would start at least three days ahead.
You need a day to create the first layer, which has to freeze until solid. Then the next ice cream layer, and after that, it freezes overnight so its stable enough to remove the springform ring. Then you frost the cake with whipped cream, and its really best to let it sit in the freezer one more night before serving. Youre always fighting the clock when working with ice cream, so give yourself plenty of time to let things chill out between steps.
Last but not least: freezer space. You need a lot. Enough to slide a whole sheet pan into the freezer. Upright freezers are best for this side-by-side and bottom-drawer freezers make it tough. Clear your freezer and do a test run with the pans before getting started.
Set up your pan:
The Best Ice Cream Cake
This is truly one of the ultimate celebrations cakes! You get four layers of distinctive decadence in each slice of cake.
And with its combination of homemade layers and store-bought layers its simple enough yet perfectly impressive enough. The cake and whipped cream are made fresh while the ice cream and fudge sauce are store-bought to save time.
I dont really care to admit how many slices I was able to polish off within a weeks time. Lets just say this cake is dangerously delicious!
The chocolate cake is perfectly fudgy and you wouldnt believe how easy the batter is to make. It was inspired by my Easy Chocolate Cake but I adjusted it for a slightly smaller size and swapped buttermilk for sour cream so it didnt freeze icy.
I recommend making the cake a day in advance so it has plenty of time to firm up completely in the freezer before serving.
Spoil yourself this weekend with this chocolate ice cream cake, no need to wait for a birthday to make something this tempting!
Also Check: Where To Buy Pecan Pie
Ready For The Freezer
Cover with plastic cling film and return to the freezer, preferably overnight.
When ready to serve, turn onto a plate and remove the plastic cling wrap. I added chocolate shell topping and more crushed chocolate bar to serve. It was really yummy. The best part was everyone ate this. No cake wasted and it was easy for me. The premium ice cream was on special for $4.50 for 2 litres and the chocolate bars were $2 so for $6.50 I got this huge ice cream cake which lasted quite a few nights. I know a cheap version of an ice cream cake from one of our supermarkets is about $15 and it doesnt even taste nice.
Save yourself some time and energy for your next celebration cake with this easy make at home ice cream cake. Your kids will love it!
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Gluten Free Angel Food Cake
Diy Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake Tips:
- Make sure you have enough room in your freezer for your prepared ice cream cake. The last thing you want to do is go to pop this bad boy in the freezer and realize there is no room.
- Spread the hot fudge cookie mixture over the top of your prepared cake layer.
- Carefully pull out the ice cream layer and place it on top of the cake.
Since my son is not a fan of traditional buttercream frosting, I went ahead and spread some thawed whipped topping all over the ice cream cake. It makes for a light and airy frosting that everyone loves.
PRO TIP: Place a small amount of room temperature hot fudge in a zipclose bag and snip off a small corner to get a beautiful drizzle effect.
Once youre done decorating the cake, youll want to pop it back in the freezer for a couple hours to let it all freeze together.
Just before serving, bring the cake out and let it sit on the counter at room temperature for at least 10 to 15 minutes so its easier to slice.
Think of all the delicious flavor combinations you can make! Youre going to love this super easy ice cream cake!
Make sure you dont miss a thing! Follow I Wash You Dry here:
Don’t Miss: How To Do Make Cake
How Do I Store This Cake
Keep the ice cream cake in the freezer until 30 minutes before youre ready to serve, then transfer the cake to the fridge or the counter. You need to keep the cake in the freezer as itll melt if stored long-term in the refrigerator. Transferring the cake to the fridge or the counter for 30 minutes will allow the ice cream layer to soften up just enough that there isnt a ton of resistance when cutting through but still firm enough to enjoy.
Top It Off With More Ice Cream
Lauren Habermehl for Taste of Home
While the previous layers firm up in the freezer, remove the vanilla ice cream again and let it soften on the counter. Once the chocolate layers have firmed up, spoon the remaining softened vanilla ice cream over the other layers. Use the offset spatula to smooth the vanilla ice cream evenly over the other layers. The vanilla layer should come to the very top of the springform pan.
Once thats done, freeze the cake for at least four hourse, though overnight is best.
Editors tip: Reserve 1/4 cup of vanilla ice cream to use after freezing your cake. You can use the leftover vanilla to fill and smooth out any thin patches or spots that get damaged after removing the outside ring of your springform pan.
Also Check: Steak And Kidney Pies For Sale
How To Make This Recipe
This hot fudge cake is a great everyday dessert, since it is really simple to make. It has an interesting method boiling water is poured over the thick batter before baking and as it bakes, a hot fudge layer is created under the cake layer. The recipe calls for the cake to be baked in a 9 baking dish, but I have also baked this cake in individual ramekins, which turned out to be great individual servings. Dont forget to serve it with freshly whipped cream of a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Hot Debate: Is Ice Cream Cake Really Cake
We love a good food debate, especially when it’s something so near and dear to our hearts as cake. Some believe ice cream cake isn’t cake because it doesn’t actually contain the baked confection . Merriam-Webster defines cake as “a sweet baked food made from dough or thick batter containing flour, sugar, shortening, eggs, and a raising agent.” If this is the case, then what about gluten-free cakes, unleavened cakes, and so many more dishes that don’t fit into this definition? In fact, Merriam-Webster doesn’t even recognize “ice cream cake” as a term.
So, where do we stand? Though ice cream isn’t baked, it has cooked components, most often a custard. Layered with similar elements, you can coat it in frosting, decorate it, and slice it up just like cake. We might go so far to say we prefer it to the traditional definition of cake.
âThis ice cream cake is a fun and indulgent treat, perfect for warm summer days. Make sure to use your favorite ice cream brand and if possible, freeze the cake overnight for it to set completely. To get clean slices, run a sharp chef knife under warm water, wipe it off with a towel and cut the cake. Repeat if necessary.â âBahareh Niati
You May Like: Best Adult Large Breed Dog Food
Creamy Ice Cream Cake
If you have a big sweet tooth and love ice cream flavors made of cream and eggs, make a layer cake alternating chocolate, cream, hazelnut and pistachio. Add some hazelnut chips or crumbled crunchy crumbs between layers. For the chocolate lovers, make a cake with different types of chocolate. A layer of dark chocolate, a layer of gianduia and a layer of white chocolate for example, using cocoa shortbread or a chocolate sponge cake as a base.
Ice Cream Cake Recipes You Can Absolutely Make At Home
Store-bought ice cream cakes have made many birthdays happier, but these homemade ice cream cake recipes have the power to transform any gathering into a joyful celebration. These frozen, creamy delights are packed with flavor and textureplus, they offer the option for full customization based on your own preferences. Swap out the flavor of the ice cream, riff with your favorite mix-ins, or follow the recipe line by line for our test kitchen-approved flavor combos. Below, you’ll find a few of our favorite ice cream cake recipes, including seasonal options loaded with fruit, easy freezer riffs on the icebox cake, and sophisticated desserts for your next summer dinner party.
You May Like: Hotels Near Sweetie Pies St Louis