How To Make Oreo Whipped Cream Frosting
This frosting recipe yields 45 cups and theres only 3/4 cup of confectioners sugar in all of it.
When it comes to cake or cupcake decor, I usually stick with buttercream or cream cheese frostingand both are quite sweet. I wanted something different today, so I turned to my creamy, fluffy, thick whipped frosting. Its made with cream cheese, but you cant taste the cream cheese. And when you fold in the chopped Oreo cookie pieces, the frosting itself tastes like the cookies cream filling! It would be delicious paired with chocolate cake or atop chocolate cupcakes and vanilla cupcakes.
Making whipped cream frosting is very easy. Let me review it with you:
It holds a sturdy peak!
How To Make The Cake
- Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. In a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs to the butter mixture one at a time. Only add the next egg once the first one has been mixed into the butter.
- Add half of the flour mixture to the eggs and butter. Add half of the milk and mix to combine. Add the rest of the flour and milk and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the crushed cookies and then pour the batter in a prepared bundt pan. Bake the cake for 50 to 55 minutes at 350°F.
If you want more cookies and cream recipes you have to try some of these recipes, too:
- 2 3/4cupsall purpose flour
- 2 1/2tspbaking powder
- 1cupunsalted buttersoftened
- 4large eggsat room temperature
- 12oreoscrushed into small pieces
How To Decorate Oreo Ice Cream Cake
I used homemade whipped cream frosting to decorate the edges of this Oreo Ice Cream Cake, and then used Oreo Crumbs and whole Oreos, on their edges, to create a simple and attractive decoration.
You can decorate your homemade ice cream however you like though. If you’re making Oreo Ice Cream Cake for a birthday, use a tube of gel icing to write a happy birthday message.
Recommended Reading: Best Way To Cook Chicken For Pot Pie
Ingredient Tips & Equipment Information
- Make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature before you start baking.
- I prefer to use a baking spread like Stork for the cake, and unsalted butter for the buttercream as I find they provide the best results.
- Make sure to use a large open star nozzle to pipe the buttercream onto the cake. The Oreo crumbs will get stuck in a closed star tip or a very small tip.
- For all the tips and tricks on how to make a drip cake, including a how to video, check out my Ultimate Drip Cake How To Guide!
- Although I provide cup measurements, I highly recommend weighing your ingredients out using digital kitchen scales*. It is the most accurate way to measure ingredients and will ensure the best results. Digital scales are very low cost and can be purchased for around £12 .
- For teaspoon and tablespoon measurements, please use measuring spoons* and not the type of spoons you eat with. Again this will ensure accuracy and provide the best results.
For the full recipe with measurements, head to the recipe card at the end of this post.
What Can I Use If I Dont Have A Piping Bag
If you dont have a piping bag, you can use a plastic zip-top bag. Cut off one corner of the bag and insert your piping tip, then fill the bag with frosting.
Donât have a piping tip either? You can still use this method and simply squeeze the frosting out through the hole youâve cut. You wonât have as much control as you would with a tip, but it will still work!
Recommended Reading: Papa John’s Apple Pie
Does This Freeze Well
As mentioned before, you can freeze the cake layers ahead of frosting the cake, if you like. I dont typically recommend freezing fully frosted cakes, but you can freeze the slices for later. Cut the slices and wrap the cake tightly in a layer of plastic wrap then foil, then freeze it in an airtight container or freezer bag. Unwrap it and defrost it in the fridge before digging in.
The Most Epic Oreo Cake Of All Time
I honestly dont think Ive ever met someone who doesnt like Oreo cookies. They are iconic. The question is do you like the regular ones or the ones with the double stuf or even those mega stuffed ones they had a few years ago. Theres no doubt that Im all about the stuf. And as an avid Oreo fan, Ive made quite a few desserts with them. If youve been keeping up with trying them all, this one should definitely be added to the list.
This layer cake is jam-packed with Oreo cookies and its frosted with a vanilla buttercream to compliment the loaded Oreos in the cake. Its moist and tender, yet full of texture from the Oreos. I have a Chocolate Oreo Cake thats frosted with Oreo frosting and has Oreos between the layers too, but its more heavy on the chocolate. This cake has Oreos front and center but brings a little more attention to the vanilla creaminess that is loved from the stuf in the cookies.
You May Like: Pie Crust Mold For Candles
How To Store Extra Oreo Cake
If you end up having extra cake, simply place it in an airtight container and store it at room temperature for up to 3 days. I like to keep mine in a cake carrier so as not to smoosh the buttercream. If you used cream in your frosting instead of water, its not a bad idea to keep your cake in the fridge instead. I do recommend serving it at room temperature though.
Start With The Oreo Cake Recipe:
Prepare. Preheat your oven to 350ÂºF. Grease two 8-inch springform pans with butter and line each with a parchment paper circle.
Mix the wet ingredients. Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer for 1 to 2 minutes, or until fluffy. Beat in the eggs, sour cream, milk, and vanilla extract.
Finish the batter. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into another mixing bowl. Slowly add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients a few spoonfuls at a time, mixing just until incorporated. Fold in the Oreo crumbs, then divide the batter into the prepared cake pans.
Bake. Place the pans on the center rack of the oven and bake for 33 to 39 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the centers comes out clean.
Cool. Let the Oreo cake layers cool for 20 to 30 minutes in the pan, then carefully remove them and let them finish cooling on a wire rack.
Don’t Miss: Gluten Free Flour Pie Crust
How To Make Cookies And Cream Oreo Drip Cake
To make the chocolate sponges, mix the butter and sugar together until fluffy , then whisk in eggs and milk.
Add self raising flour, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, and mix in gently. Divide the mixture evenly between two lined and greased 8″ cake tins. Bake them for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, then leave them to cool either in the tins or on a cooling rack.
For the cookies and cream oreo sponge, mix together butter and sugar. Then add eggs, vanilla extract, self raising flour and some chopped up oreo pieces. Pour the batter into the cake tin. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean, then leave to cool fully.
For the buttercream, whisk together the butter, icing sugar, milk and vanilla extract until smooth. Then stir in the crushed Oreo crumbs.
Freeze The Oreo Cake In Slices
- You can wrap your slices individually in plastic wrap and aluminum foil or only aluminum foil. Then place them in a freezer storage bag or container.
- You can also slice the cake and put slices of parchment paper between the slices. Then wrap the sliced cake just like wrapping the whole cake or portion of the cake above.
Also Check: Where Did Boston Cream Pie Originate
How To Make It
Prepare 2 round 6″ pans by lining the bottoms with parchment paper. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 325F.
In a stand mixer bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, sift together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt, sugar and cocoa powder.
Using a measuring cup, combine the avocado oil, buttermilk, boiling water and vanilla extract. Give it a stir to combine.
Gradually pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients, while the mixer is running on low. Increase the speed to beat the ingredients together, for about 30 seconds until smooth .
Give the bowl a scrape and with the mixer on low, add 1 egg at at a time, and beat again until smooth, another 30-60 seconds.
Divide the cake batter evenly into 2 round 6″ pans.
Give the pans a tap to release any trapped air bubbles.
Bake the cakes at 325F for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean or with the slightest crumbs clinging to it.
Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes, before removing the cakes from the pans.
For The Classic Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
Don’t Miss: Mcdonalds Guava And Cream Pie
Ingredients For Oreo Cookie Pound Cake
This simple recipe requires the following 7 ingredients:
- Butter please make sure its real butter and at room temperature.
- Cream Cheese I used full fat cream cheese and room temperature is best.
- Granulated Sugar
- Eggs Please use room temperature eggs and make sure you beat well after adding each one.
- Flour All purpose is just fine. I sift mine.
- Oreos or Chocolate Sandwich Cookies Between 24 27 cookies. I put mine in a gallon Ziplop Bag and lightly rolled over the cookies with a rolling pin. This created fairly large pieces.
- Sifted Powdered Sugar For the glaze. Sifting the powdered sugar is best to get rid of any lumps.
Can I Make This As A Layer Cake
If possible, I always choose making a sheet cake instead of a layer cake because sheet cakes are quicker and easier to decorate and slice. Plus theres no assembly required and you can serve it right out of the baking pan. That being said, you can absolutely turn this into a cookies & cream layer cake if needed. Divide the batter between 2 9-inch round pans or 3 8-inch round pans. See recipe note for details. The frosting yields enough for filling and frosting a 2- or 3-layer cake.
Recommended Reading: Hershey’s Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
This recipe produces a tender and delicious chocolate cake.
The cream filling isn’t too sweet, despite using white chocolate and Oreo cookies.
It makes a 2 layered 6″ cake, perfect for small servings.
You can make the cake with all-purpose flour no need for cake flour in this cake.
There’s no butter in the cake, so no need to soften butter at room temperature!
Oreo Ice Cream Cake Variations
Make a Cookie Monster Ice Cream Cake! Instead of regular Oreo Ice Cream, use blue-tinted Cookie Monster Ice Cream to make this cake. It would make a wonderful birthday treat for a special kid.
Mint Oreo Ice Cream Cake is also delicious! Instead of cookies and cream, use mint chocolate chip, or Grasshopper Pie ice cream for this ice cream cake.
Separate the layers with a middle layer of fudge and crushed Oreos like I do in my Classic Ice Cream Cake, or you can skip that part. If you’re building layers, be sure to freeze the layers for 1 hour each for best results.
More Toppings: Oreos are a must for decorating the top of this ice cream cake, but you can also use other cookies, sprinkles, shaved or chopped chocolate, or chocolate jimmies.
Try any of our homemade ice cream flavors to create your own delicious ice cream cake varieties!
Read Also: Perfect Peach Pie New York Times
Tips For The Best Oreo Layer Cake
Here are some simple tips to help make sure your Oreo layer cake turns out perfect.
- Use original Oreos. While there are all kinds of flavors of Oreos at the grocery store these days and theyâd probably all taste good in a cake, the aesthetics of using Oreos with different filling or cookie colors might not work. If you do want to use flavored Oreos, keep in mind that your cake could look different than mine.
- Crush the Oreos well. Especially for the frosting, you donât want large chunks of Oreo that will clog up your piping tip.
- Use bake-even strips. These attach to the outside of the cake pans and help them bake evenly, without doming in the middle. If you donât use them, you may need to trim the tops of each cake layer before assembling.
How Do You Get The Perfect Chocolate Drip
It’s really important to have a good base for the chocolate drip, so the cake needs a ‘crumb coat’ then a top layer of buttercream. Try and get it as smooth as you can so the chocolate drip has a nice even surface to drip down. Each layer of buttercream needs to firm up in the fridge and be chilled when you apply the chocolate drip. Be frugal with the drip amounts at first and see how far it drips, then you can reduce or increase the amount of chocolate you release from the piping bag or squeeze bottle as you move around the cake. For all the information, including a tutorial video and step by step instructions with photos, check out my Ultimate Drip Cake How To Guide!
Recommended Reading: Bob’s Red Mill Pie Crust Mix
Why You’re Going To Love This Oreo Ice Cream Recipe
- You can make this cake 100 percent from scratch, or take some simple shortcuts to make it easier. Both ways are delicious.
- Oreo Ice Cream Cake is a classic flavor that everyone enjoys. Don’t expect to have any leftovers.
- The best part is the Oreo Cookie Crust! Some ice cream cakes have crunchies in the center, but this one has them on the bottom to create a thick, crunchy crust layer that is probably my favorite part.
- Save money by making an Oreo Icecream Cake from scratch. You wouldn’t believe how much these are sold for at the grocery store nowadays. Look for Ice cream on sale, or make your own to save a few bucks.
What Kind Of Pan To Make Ice Cream Cake In
A springform pan is an ideal vessel for building your homemade Oreo ice cream cake. It will allow you to easily remove the cake to decorate it after it’s frozen.
Make sure that your springform cake pan is in good condition so that it doesn’t leak. If you aren’t sure, I suggest wrapping the outside of the pan with plastic wrap and/or foil to keep everything inside.
You can also make this cake in a regular straight-sided cake pan. I suggest that you line the pan with plastic wrap to make removal easier though. An 8-inch round pan is best, but a 9-inch pan will also work.
You May Like: Harry And David Chicken Pot Pie
Supplies Used For This Cake:
Ok, lets get to the recipe!
**By the way, this recipe was developed and tested using volume measurements . I do this because most people are used to measuring, instead of weighing. You may use the metric converter button to see the weight measurements. Those numbers are estimates on weight. Your results may vary a bit if you use the weight measurements.
How Do I Make Cookies And Cream Cake Frosting
For the frosting, I made my usual favorite Easiest Swiss Meringue Buttercream, and after it was finished, I stirred in a few cups of very fine Oreo cookie crumbs. I had my doubts during the process but I think the end result really works! Not only does it taste great, but the spotted light gray appearance really does look like cookies and cream. If youre new to making my cheaters Swiss Meringue, I definitely recommend reading the post because it covers a lot of frequently asked questions!
For the frosting between the cake layers, I also added a healthy handful of chopped-up Oreo cookies. I loved the texture they added, but they did make cutting beautifully clean and neat slices kind of difficult! Just be prepared to have a few stray Oreo chunks embed themselves in your cake layers as you slice. Trust me when I tell you its a small price to pay for cookies and cream bliss.
Recommended Reading: World Population By Race Pie Chart