Can I Make Shepherds Pie In Advance
Yes it can be made in advance but keep in mind you wont want to store it in the cast iron pan as it will cause rusting, instead:
- Assemble the pie in a baking dish or casserole dish.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- The following day remove from the fridge while the oven preheats to 350 degrees.
- Bake covered with foil about 25 30 minutes until heated through, then broil closer to broiler element to brown the topping.
Our 30 Minute Easy Shepherds Pie
Shepherds Pie or cottage pie? We call it Shepherds Pie but I know many call it cottage pie. Its one of the staple dishes in our home that my mom would make all the time when I was a kid. My mom loves to make her 30 minute easy Shepherds Pie especially during the week when time is limited.
This recipe will bake for 30 minutes and the prep time will take about 20 minutes if you choose to boil and make your mashed potatoes from scratch or you could use make shepherds pie with instant potatoes to save time.
I have added a handful of affiliate links to our favorite baking dishes below for shopping convenience.
How To Make Shepherds Pie In A Pressure Cooker
When I first came across this recipe, I was puzzled. Maybe I hadnt had my coffee yet, but I imagined tossing ground beef, veggies, and a few whole potatoes into the Instant Pot and then lifting off the lid to reveal a table-ready Shepherds Pie topped with mashed potatoes.
In reality, there are a few more steps involved though not many!
Coco has you start by prepping the filling using the Sauté function on the Instant Pot. Then you place a tall steamer rack in the pot and place the peeled potatoes on top.
Then the lid goes on and everything pressure cooks together. At the end of cooking, the potatoes are perfectly cooked and ready to be mashed with milk.
For a traditional casserole-style shepherds pie, you transfer the filling to an 8×8 pan, top with the mashed potatoes, and broil until the top is golden. You can also serve this in bowls by scooping out some filling and topping it with a generous dollop of mashed potatoes. So easy!
Read Also: Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie Key West
To Make Beef Filling :
- Saute veggies: Melt remaining 1 Tbsp butter in a 12-inch cast iron skillet. Add onion, carrots, celery and saute until nearly soft, about6 minutes. Add garlic and saute 1 minute longer.
- Cook beef: Add ground beef in chunks and cook and break up beef until no longer pink, about 6 minutes. If you find theres lots of excess fat then dab some up using balled up paper towels held by tongs .
- Add thickeners: Add flour and tomato paste and saute 1 minute.
- Pour in liquids, let reduce: Pour in red wine, beef broth, Worcestershire, thyme and rosemary. Bring to a simmer stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and let simmer until reduced by about 2/3 , about 8 10 minutes.
- Add remaining greens: Stir in peas and parsley and heat through, about 1 minute. Season filling with salt and pepper to taste.
- Assemble shepherds pie: Spread beef filling into an even layer. Dollop spoonfuls of mashed potatoes evenly over top then spread into an even layer .
- Run a fork along top in rows to create a wavy pattern.
- Bake: Move oven rack about 5-inches below broiler and preheat broiler to high. Transfer to oven and let broil until golden brown on top about 4 6 minutes .
- Rest: Let rest a few minutes before serving. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Can Shepherds Pie Be Frozen
Shepherds pie can be frozen after baking or prior to baking.
- After baking: Bake as stated in the instructions, then cool and cover tightly with plastic wrap and then foil.
- Before baking: Assemble everything directed except for the cheese. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and then foil.
Shepherds pie can be frozen for up to 2 months as long as you have tightly wrapped the dish in saran wrap and foil.
Also Check: Turkey Pot Pie With Mushroom Soup
Easy Shepherds Pie Ground Turkey
If you are looking for a healthier version, you can also try our Sweet Potato Pie with ground turkey.
Have you ever tried using sweet potato?
It has cheddar cheese across the top and is delicious.
Baking tip: Use these baking crocks to make individual Shepherds Pie servings! I have the brown ones but the gray ones linked are pretty too!
We have a few diabetics in our family so sweet potatoes are better vs regular and we also use ground turkey when we make the sweet potato version. It actually tastes delicious and is a nice change from traditional pie.
Gather The Ingredients For Shepherds Pie
This recipe requires a fair amount of ingredients, so be sure to check for items that you may have at home already. Start with 2 pounds of potatoes and some butter. In addition, you will need to get salt, pepper, and milk. The recipe also calls for extra virgin olive oil and a few things in the produce section like an onion, carrots, and garlic.
For the meat, be sure to pick up some ground beef. You will also need a few spices like thyme and rosemary. Next, grab a little flour and tomato paste. Then, throw some beef broth and Worcestershire sauce into your car. You will also need to swing by the frozen section for corn and peas.
You May Like: Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Campbells
Ingredients For Deviled Eggs:
Note* The printable step by step recipe card is at the bottom of this post.
- 6 large hard boiled eggs
- 3 Tablespoons mayonaise
- 1-2 teaspoons dill pickle juice
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
I always start with 1 teaspoon of pickle juice. Then, I taste the filling. If it needs a little extra saltiness and tanginess, I add another teaspoon of pickle juice.
If you dont have or dont like pickle juice, white vinegar or red wine vinegar are good substitutes. However, you may want to add a pinch of salt to the filling if you use vinegar instead of pickle juice.
Whats The Difference Between Shepherds Pie And Cottage Pie
Its all in the meat. Shepherds pie contains minced lamb .
Whereas Cottage Pie contains mince beef .
Whilst we are getting our pie names sorted out Cumberland Pie refers to any type of meat pie topped with mashed potatoes and then a layer of bread crumbs. Whilst not strictly traditional a sprinkling of grated cheese over your mashed potato on both a Shepherds and Cottage Pie is delicious.
You May Like: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie
Easy Shepherds Pie How To Make Shepherds Pie
Easy Shepherds pie is a classic British dish that any one should try at least once in a lifetime! This Shepherds pie has layers of beef and lamb, vegetables, covered with potato mash. Wonder what to cook for dinner? Want to know how to make Shepherds Pie?
Try this simple and filling meat pie. Turn meat and potatoes into one of your dinners!
How Long Will Shepherds Pie Keep
Freshly baked Shepherds Pie will keep for 3-5 days in the refrigerator if tightly covered with foil.
Shepherds pie is such an amazing dish to bring to a new momma or sick friend. But I especially love it so prepare for an upcoming need. Like, if your friend is pregnant and already chasing two kids, try dropping off a frozen casserole that she can use on the day she feels overwhelmed. Heres a few tips.
You May Like: American Pie Band Camp Trailer
The Best Mashed Potatoes For Cottage Pie
You can easily use leftover Creamy Mashed Potatoes or even Garlic Mashed Potatoes if you have some on hand, but be sure to add parmesan and egg. Heres what youll need to cook mashed potatoes for Shephards Pie:
- Russet Potatoes whip up super creamy and smooth
- Heavy Whipping Cream makes potatoes luxuriously creamy
- Salt add to taste after mashing
- Parmesan cheese gives the potatoes the best taste
- Egg creates that lovely golden hue in the oven
- Butter helps with color and keeps the potatoes moist
You May Like: Lactaid Peanut Butter Pie
To Make The Mashed Potatoes:
- Add potatoes to pot with water: Place potatoes in a medium pot or large saucepan. Cover with water by 1-inch and season water with salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook potatoes until tender: Let gently boil until potatoes are fully tender when pierced with a fork, about 10 15 minutes. Drain in a colander and rinse under hot water for about 5 seconds to remove excess starches .
- Rice Potatoes: Drain potatoes then pass through a food mill or potato ricer into same pot .
- Stir with liquid ingredients: Melt 5 Tbsp butter and add to potatoes along with half and half and sour cream. Stir just to combine while seasoning with salt to taste. Cover and set aside if filling isnt yet complete.
Also Check: Sonic Coconut Cream Pie Shake
Why Doesnt Shepherds Pie Have A Crust
The original shepherds pies were baked in pastry crusts and used leftover roast meat combined with a savory gravy to bring it all together. When the dish made its way from Scotland to Ireland, they skipped the pastry and used their abundance of potatoes instead, creating the modern-day mashed potato topping.
Smells Good Doesn’t It
Next, stir in the flour. Mix well. Add the beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and frozen vegetables.
Let this mixture simmer for 15 – 20 minutes stirring often. The mixture will be fairly thick. Taste and adjust the seasoning adding more salt & pepper.
Spread the mixture into a 10-cup casserole dish. Set aside.
If the timing works out, the potatoes will be drained before, or very close to the same time that the meat mixture is done cooking. Keep a close eye on the potatoes. You do NOT want water-logged mashed potatoes. Been there, done that. Not tasty.
Also Check: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
Whats In A Philly Cheesesteak Casserole
The sandwich version just has steak and onions, but I decided to boost it a bit for this casserole. I use ground beef instead of steak just because sliced steak can dry out when baked. Also, beef and onions wouldnt really fill out a casserole dish, so I added green bell peppers and mushrooms to the mix as well.
The beef and vegetables combined with cream cheese and provolone are the best flavors.
Simply Recipes / Nick Evans
How Do I Thicken Shepherds Pie
Shepherds Pie is notorious for falling apart easily once you cut into it. However, theres an easy way to thicken it.
Simply mix one heaping tablespoon of cornstarch with two tablespoons of cold water. Stir this mixture into the ground beef and vegetable mixture. It will slowly thicken the sauce as you stir.
You may need to add a little more cornstarch depending on the amount of liquid in your pan.
Read Also: Chicken Apple Pie
New Cookbook: The Ultimate Instant Pot Cookbook
This is absolutely my new favorite way to make Shepherd’s Pie, but there are plenty more recipes in this book that I’m excited to try.
I’ve actually already made the Sweet Potatoes Stuffed With Black Beans and Quinoa. Verdict: phenomenal. I love having this easy, meat-free meal in my back pocket.
A few that are next on my list:
- French Toast Casserole
- Hoisin-Glazed Spareribs
- Caramelized Onion Dip
Coco sprinkles her recipes with useful tips and suggestions for substitutions, which are all very useful for cooks like me who employ a mix of roughly 80% “follow the recipe” and 20% “wing it.”
Reading through the book, I also appreciate how straightforward and approachable all the recipes feel — though of course, this shouldn’t come as a surprise since this is why I love featuring her recipes here on Simply Recipes as well! With its mix of basic recipes and recipes to make for dinner, I think this book would be a good one for new Instant Pot users and die-hard fans alike.
Recipe For Easy Shepherds Pie
How to make an easy Shepherds Pie with a 30 minute bake time. To save time and cut your prep time in 1/2, you can make instant potatoes if you are in a hurry! My gram loved the Betty Crocker Brand with Butter. Side note if you need the perfect baking dish, my mom swears by her clear Pyrex baking dishes . They come in a set of two different sizes which is nice!
Are you looking for other ways to make Shepherds Pie?
How about a healthy Shepherds pie with mashed cauliflower? You literally cannot taste the difference between mashed potato and mashed cauliflower. Its so good! You can still add corn too!
Read Also: Docs Pot Pies
Prep This Ahead Of Time
If you plan to make this ahead of time, I suggest keeping the mashed potatoes and filing separate at first. Store them away in the fridge in sealed containers. When youre ready to bake, let the potatoes and filling sit at room temperature to soften before assembling. Then, pop it right into the oven for baking.
When it comes time to freeze leftovers, just place them in freezer safe containers for up to 3 months. This could be a great option if you also plan to meal prep this on a Sunday night. Just bake it, divide it into 6 sections, and freeze it!
Are There Similar Pies In Other Countries
There are many pies similar to the Shepherds Pie in other countries, but some of them use different meats. They are called Hachis Parmentier in France, Pâté Chinois in Canada, Escondidinho in Brazil, Pastel Tulup in Indonesia, Pastel de Carne in Uruguay, Filosoof in the Netherlands, Pióg an Aoire in Ireland, Cumberland pie in Cumbria, and pastel de papa in Argentina.
Recommended Reading: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
What Makes This The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Texture: The cookies are soft in the middle and chewy around the edges.
- Flavor: They have a sweet, buttery, toffy-like cookie flavor, loaded with chocolate chips.
- Quick & Easy to make: No bringing the ingredients to room temperature. No chilling the dough. The recipe can easily be whisked together, instead of using a mixer. And, its a ONE BOWL recipe.
Why Is It Called A Cottage Pie
The name cottage pie was first used at the end of the 18th century. It was around that time that the poorer people of Britain, people who lived in cottages in the country, started using potatoes as an everyday food. Originally, a pie made with any kind of meat and a potato topping was called a cottage pie.
Don’t Miss: Maud Pie Plush