Tips For The Best Shepherds Pie
- Use lean ground beef or lamb so that everything holds together and does not fall apart from the excess grease.
- Use russet potatoes for the lightest and fluffiest potato topping.
- Let the shepherds pie rest for 10 minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to absorb back into the meat and help everything stay together.
- Broil the last couple of minutes to brown the potato topping.
How To Make The Meat Filling
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat then add in the onions, carrots, garlic, rosemary, and thyme.
Cook this mixture for 2-3 minutes stirring regularly.
Now, add the meat and stir to combine. Cook the meat and vegetable mixture for another 5-7 minutes stirring regularly to break up the meat. Cook until there is no pink left in the meat.
To the skillet and meat mixture, add the Worcestershire sauce, green peas, corn, and tomato paste then stir to combine.
Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the flour into the meat mixture and stir until it has dissolved.
Pour in the chicken broth and stir to combine, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
Set the meat mixture aside and preheat the oven to 400°F.
How To Reheat Shepherd’s Pie Leftovers
If you prefer to avoid using the microwave, simply cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes on 375°F. Heat until the internal temperature is at least 165°F internally.
For those who don’t mind using a microwave, simply portion and heat on medium power for 60-90 seconds then check the temperature. Continue in 30-second increments until heated through.
You May Like: American Pie Band Camp Free Movie
Tips For Making Shepherds Pie Ahead:
- You can make the entire casserole in advance, and simply cover and refrigerate before baking. Store in the fridge up to 3-4 days before baking and serving.
- You can prep your ground beef, and keep 1 pound portions in the freezer for quick dinners down the road.
- You can prep your beef and vegetable filling, then refrigerate for easy prep later in the week, or even freeze individual portions to top with potatoes later on.
- Shepherds Pie can be frozen, but you need to keep in mind that potatoes are never quite the same in texture after being frozen.
Tips For Making Shepherds Pie
There are a few stages to making Shepherds Pie, but its a straightforward recipe. Theres just two little things that you dont see in most recipes, little things that bugged me:
Cool the filling before topping with potato: It thickens and makes it easier to spread the potato across the top and it stops the potato weeping into the filling
Creamier mashed potato = easier to spread and just an all round better eating experience. I just dont like dry, very firm mash. When I break through the mash, I want it to be borderline collapsing, rather than being able to cut cleanly through it like cake.
I stress again these are little things that bug me, so feel free to by-pass them! Nagi x
PS One last time Cottage Pie is made with beef. Shepherds Pie is made with lamb!
Don’t Miss: Dairy Free Pies To Buy
Ground Beef Shepherd’s Pie
This hearty supper-in-one sent by Elaine Williams is ideal for small families. The Surrey, British Columbia cook uses ground beef, frozen veggies and canned gravy to hurry along the down-home dinner.
Provided by Taste of Home
|1 can beef gravy|
|1 cup frozen mixed vegetables|
|1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce|
|Salt and pepper to taste|
|2-1/2 cups mashed potatoes|
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the gravy, vegetables, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. , Transfer to a greased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Spread potatoes over the top. Bake, uncovered, until heated through, 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 457 calories, Fat 18g fat , Cholesterol 93mg cholesterol, Sodium 890mg sodium, Carbohydrate 37g carbohydrate , Protein 36g protein.
Can I Make This Homemade Shepherds Pie Ahead Of Time
Making a classic shepherds pie is not hard. But, it can be a bit time consuming. So you can make the meat filling or potatoes a head of time. Then, add them to a baking dish when your are ready to make the casserole. I find it is best to finish it within a couple of days of making the other ingredients. When you are ready to eat it. Remove it from the refrigerator and let it warm up at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Then, uncover it and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Read Also: Does Mcdonalds Have Cherry Pie
Gordon Ramsay Shepherds Pie Recipe
My husband grew up with a hamburger pie casserole that his mom made, which was actually one of the first posts here on the blog . He also grew up enjoying roasted lamb on holidays. So when the two of us watched our favorite celebrity chef put together what was basically a hamburger pie with ground lamb, we knew it wouldn’t be long until we watched closely to emulate the best copycat Gordon Ramsay Shepherds Pie recipe!!
This take on a classic shepherd’s pie is as Chef Gordon Ramsay would make it! Like he says in his shows, the requirement to being a ‘shepherds pie’ vs cottage pie or hamburger pie casserole, is that the meat is indeed lamb meat. Thus, the shepherd would be required.
I know, even wikipedia defines the base as including a red meat:
Shepherd’s pie, cottage pie, or hachis Parmentier is a ground meat pie with a crust or topping of mashed potato of English origin. The recipe has many variations, but the defining ingredients are ground red meat cooked in a gravy or sauce with onions, and topped with a layer of mashed potato before it is baked. ~ Wikipedia
So please note that in my definition, any shepherd’s pie would include ground lamb meat. You can substitute meats to make an equally fabulous meat entree or casserole, but here on the blog they would be titled as a different recipe.
Can I Freeze Shepherds Pie
Yes, this is a great freezer meal recipe. The best way to freeze this casserole is to let it cool down to room temperature. Then place at least two layers of plastic wrap over the baking dish. This will help prevent freezer burn. I also like to place it in Jumbo Freezer Bags to help keep it fresh. It will stay good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Once you are ready to heat up the shepherds pie. Place it in the refrigerator over night to thaw it out. Then Place in a 400 degree preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
Recommended Reading: Chicken Pot Pie For Sale
What Vegetables Go In Shepherd’s Pie
The most traditional vegetables you will find in this dish are carrots, peas, and onions. That isn’t the only mixture that is known, and our family loves the addition of some corn. Below are some other vegetables that I have seen in a cottage or shepherd’s pie and know are still considered pretty true to original flavors.
- Shredded cabbage
If you want to stick with a truly authentic meal, these are the ones you should turn toward. For families that have different vegetable preferences, use whatever you wish. It’s my opinion that while there are some things that I would use, cooking is truly personal experience. Turn this recipe into one that fits your needs and it will be a masterpiece you prefer.
How To Make Shepherds Pie:
Recommended Reading: Sweetie Pie Tea For Sale Online
Tips For Freezing This Recipe To Cook Later
This is for those busy moms that like freezer meals. There is no better easy freezer meal than a shepherd’s pie! It’s so fast and easy to whip up, you can make several at a time, wrap, and freeze them for later!
I prefer two methods for making this as a freezer meal.
How To Make A Shepherds Pie
A great shepherd’s pie is easy to put together, but always includes the basic meat in gravy layer and a mashed potato topping. Start your mince in a frying pan at the same time as your potatoes are cooking and you’ll have this comfort food dinner on the table in no time!
Cook the Ground Lamb Meat or ‘Mince’
Bring a large cast iron skillet, skillet or frying pan to high heat with two tablespoons of olive oil. *If you like lamb meat, but want to take the ‘lamb’ flavor down a notch, try a drizzle of sesame seed oil.
The oil should be shimmering and just beginning to smoke when it is fully heated. Add the ground lamb meat to the skillet, and spread it in a thin layer over the bottom of the pan. *Your lamb meat will brown and crisp better if it has set out for about 30 minutes prior to cooking, so that it is closer to room temperature when starting the cooking process.
Let the meat cook until browned and crisped on the underside. Then split the pan into portions that you can easily flip and turn them so that the topside is now facing downward and getting browned too.
When the bottom side has browned and crisped, break apart the lamb meat and season with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add the grated or finely chopped onion and grated carrot, stir into the ground lamb and cook for 2 – 4 minutes, or until the onion is softened.
Stir in the chicken broth or stock and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, then remove from heat. Set aside.
Make the Mashed Potatoes
Assemble the Shepherds Pie
You May Like: How To Make A Pie Chart Online
Can I Use Instant Potatoes Instead Of Fresh Mashed
The purist in me says, “please, no!”. That said, you can definitely use instant mashed potatoes in a pinch. I don’t personally like the flavor, even when “doctored up” as my husband would say. Instant potatoes are a hard no from me, but that doesn’t mean they are for others.
Freshly made mashed potatoes are so easy to whip up that I don’t see the need for a substitute, but again, do what works best for you and your family.
Recipe Pointers For Shepherds Pie
- You can use beef broth or lamb broth.
- You can add chopped mushrooms to the pie.
- If you prefer, top the upper layer of mashed potatoes with a thick layer of cheddar cheese.
- You can also sprinkle some chopped chives on top.
- For a naturally sweeter pie use mashed sweet potatoes.
- Shepherds pie is gluten-free!
- If you replace the lamb meat with beef meat, you can use the same recipe to make a cottage pie.
Recommended Reading: Where Did Boston Cream Pie Originate
The Best Shepherd’s Pie
We stuck with tradition and made our shepherd’s pie with lamb, but you could easily swap in ground beef. The saucy filling is packed with tender vegetables and the creamy topping is inspired by the Irish potato dish, colcannon, and is filled with cabbage, leeks and cheese.
Get the Recipe: The Best Shepherd’s Pie
How To Make Shepherds Pie
- Sauté some chopped onions in olive oil.
- Add ground beef or ground lamb.
- Add dried parsley, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cook the meat mixture until the meat is browned.
- Add minced garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook the garlic for a minute.
- Add flour and tomato paste.
- Add beef broth, frozen mixed peas and carrots, and frozen corn kernels.
- Simmer the meat gravy until it is thick.
- Boil some peeled and chopped potatoes until they are soft.
- Drain the potatoes
- Add butter, half & half, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Pour the meat mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top it with the cheesy mashed potatoes.
- Bake until the meat is bubbling and the potatoes are golden.
Recommended Reading: Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Traditionally, shepherds pie is made with lamb . However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland , beef became a common substitute, especially in America where its more widely available than ground lamb.
- tip 2 Refrigerated mashed potatoes cut a ton of prep time off of this recipe and are good to keep on hand. Try any flavored, refrigerated mashed potatoes to top this main-dish pie.
- tip 3 Looking for a few more ways to turn a pound of ground beef into dinner? Check out the rest of Bettys kitchen-tested ground beef recipes.
What Is The Difference Between Shepherds Pie And Cottage Pie
Oh the terminology of Shepherds Pie vs. Cottage Pie. There are some strong opinions out there. Cottage pie has been in use since 1791, when the potato was introduced as an edible crop affordable for the poor. The term shepherds pie has been used synonymously with cottage pie since 1877, regardless of the type of meat used, mutton or beef. More recently, the term shepherds pie has been used when the meat is lamb, and cottage pie when the meat is beef. We like to refer to it as a Shepherds Pie, no matter what meat goes inside of it.
Read Also: Watch American Pie Beta House