What To Serve With Sweet Potato Pie
Make it for Thanksgiving: Sweet Potato Pie is perfect for your Thanksgiving table. While youre planning, check out all of my Thanksgiving recipes for turkey, sides, and desserts.
Have it After Dinner: Pie doesnt need to be saved for special occasions. Make this pie ahead of time and enjoy it after a nice hearty family dinner, like Cream of Mushroom Chicken or my favorite Meatloaf recipe.
Best Thanksgiving Dessert Recipes
As much as I love the savory dishes we make for Thanksgiving, its just not complete without all of the desserts! After stuffing ourselves full of turkey and potatoes and various side dishes, its time to move on to the pies. Pumpkin, Pecan, Apple, French Silk, and a Homemade Sweet Potato Pie recipe.
Sweet potatoes are a big part of the holidays when it comes to food, so you have to serve the classic sweet potato pie. Its hands down one of the best Thanksgiving dessert recipes. Dont forget to add this dish to your dessert table!
How To Make The Best Sweet Potato Pie
Don’t Miss: Peach Cobbler With Pie Crust And Frozen Peaches
Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
There are a few key ingredients to ensure this Sweet Potato Pie recipe turns out perfect:
- Sweet potatoes Baked, for the reasons I mentioned above.
- Unsalted butter At room temperature so it is easier to mix in.
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Spices: Cinnamon, nutmeg , cloves.
- You could also use a little pumpkin pie spice instead. I recommend doing 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
How To Make Sweet Potato Pie:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. First, poke holes all over the sweet potatoes and place them in a microwave-safe place. Microwave for 5 minutes flipping the potatoes over halfway through. Poke a knife through the potato, if there is no resistance they are ready, if not place them back in the microwave in 30-second intervals until soft. Let the potatoes cool to room temperature. Then remove the peels off the potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Nest, whip the potatoes with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
Add in the butter and mix until combined.
Now add the brown sugar and granulated sugar, mix until smooth.
Next add the eggs and mix until smooth.
Then, add the heavy cream, flour, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg, mix until smooth and combined, scrape the sides if needed.
Place the pie crust into a pie plate and crimp the edge.
Add the filling and smooth out the top.
Bake for 45-50 minutes until set. It might be the slightest bit jiggly. It is ready when a butter knife inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. Or, an internal temperature reaches 175°F.
Finally, let the pie cool to room temperature before slicing to serve, or chill first.
Also Check: The Key Lime Pie Company
To Use Butter Or Shortening Or Lard
Basically, the debate exists on whether to use butter, shortening, lard or some combination for the flakiest, best-tasting pie crust. I like a combination of butter and shortening for pie crusts. The shortening helps it to be super flaky, tender and sturdy, while the butter gives it the delicious buttery flavor. The combination results in a delicious, flaky, yet perfectly sturdy crust that works for even heavier pie fillings.
How Do You Know When Sweet Potato Pie Is Done
To determine if your Sweet Potato Pie is fully cooked and ready to pull from the oven, give it a gentle nudge! If the center of the pie jiggles ever so slightly, its ready to come out!
If you want to get specific with it, you can take the internal temperature of the pie using an instant-read probe thermometer. The pie is fully cooked when it reaches 175°F!
As mentioned above, the pie needs to finish cooking during the cooling process, so do not attempt to cut into it right away! For best results, allow for four hours of resting time minimum!
MORE SWEET POTATO RECIPES YOULL LOVE:
You May Like: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Do You Need Both Baking Powder And Soda
Some recipes call for both baking powder and baking soda. Basically, the reason for both is because sometimes you need more leavening than you have acid available in the recipe. Its all about balance. Another reason to use both baking powder and baking soda is because they affect both browning and flavor.
Recommended Reading: Fried Key Lime Pie Key West
The Best Sweet Potato Pie Starts With Baked Sweet Potatoes
Many sweet potato pie recipes call for boiling the sweet potatoes on the stovetop until tender, but I believe that the best sweet potato pie is made from baked sweet potatoes. Baking sweet potatoes softens them without adding extra moisture, concentrates their flavor and sweetness, and makes sweet potato pie-making easier. Less moisture in the sweet potatoes also means a creamier pie. Sure, whole sweet potatoes take at least an hour to bake in the oven, but that cook time is completely hands-off. Theres no peeling, no dicing, and no tending to a boiling pot on the stove, which is the last thing you want to be doing while making three or four other side dishes for Thanksgiving.
Make-ahead tip: Bake the sweet potatoes up to one week in advance and store the flesh in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to purée.
Don’t Miss: My Little Pony Pinkie Pie Toy
A Delicious Sweet Potato Dessert
Sweet potato desserts are absolutely amazing and I love swapping out traditional pumpkin with sweet potato. Sweet potato pie seems to be more popular in the south however, my northern family members have definitely been converted after eating this pie! This particular Sweet Potato Pie recipe is one that has been perfected over the years to get the spices just right. In addition, I’ve also started making it easier by microwaving the sweet potatoes rather than boiling or baking them. Also, if you enjoy pumpkin pie then you will certainly enjoy this pie since the texture and spices are similar. If you are looking for that flavorful dessert to impress your guests this year, then you need to make this Sweet Potato Pie recipe.
Canned Vs Fresh Sweet Potatoes
It might seem like an extra step to bake fresh sweet potatoes instead of using canned, but you really get a bigger payback with a deep, roasty flavor and lighter texture.
The texture of the mashed cooked potatoes should be just a little chunky, which gives the pie a lighter texture than pumpkin pies made with canned pumpkin.
TIME-SAVING TIP! Bake the potatoes while you blind bake the crust, so it doesnt take much additional time.
Don’t Miss: Key West Key Lime Pie On A Stick
Make The Sweet Potato Pie Filling
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment , beat the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until the mixture is moistened and crumbly, about 1 minute.
Beat in the egg.
Then add the yolks, one at a time, until the mixture is creamy and smooth, a few minutes.
Add the vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger beat until just combined.
Add 1¾ cups of the mashed sweet potatoes .
Mix to combine.
Finally, add the evaporated milk.
Mix on low speed to combine.
Pour the sweet potato filling into the pie crust and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
How To Make Pie Crust Without A Food Processor
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Grate one cup of FROZEN butter into the dry mixture. Toss with flour as you go so the butter doesnt clump up.
- Use two knives to mix the butter and flour mixture.
- Drizzle in the ice water and mix together with the knives or forks.
- Press the shaggy dough into a disk and knead a couple of times.
- Cover in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
Also Check: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
Eggless Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients
Please check the recipe card at the bottom of the post for exact quantities and detailed instructions .
- Sweet potatoes
- Brown sugar Dark or light brown sugar will work for this recipe.
- Unsalted butter you can also use salted butter if that is what you have handy. In that case, skip the salt called in the recipe.
- Ground cinnamon
- Salt I prefer kosher or sea salt.
- Pure vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour standard all-purpose flour works best here, skip the cake flour, bread flour and wheat flour.
Roast The Sweet Potatoes
While the pie dough is chilling, go ahead and get your sweet potatoes roasting! To prepare the potatoes, youll simply drizzle them with oil, place them on a baking sheet, and bake at 400°F for about 45 minutes. Once the potatoes are fork-tender, theyre ready to come out of the oven. Remove them and allow them to sit until they are cool enough to handle.
In the meantime, its to bake the pie crust!
You May Like: Seedless Grape Pie
Does The Butter Need To Be Cold
Absolutely make sure that the butter is cold or even frozen. Cold fats in your dough are a must. It helps the crust to be flaky, tender and so delicious when the bits of cold butter and shortening melt in the hot oven as the crust bakes. If butter and shortening are too warm in the crust before baking, it can result in a hard, greasy and even crumbly pie crust. Some people freeze all of the ingredients before mixing the dough.
How To Make Vegan Sweet Potato Pie
You will find full instructions and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a summary of the process to go along with the process photos.
- Its so simple to make this sweet potato pie!
- Simply add sweet potato purée to your blender jug along with coconut milk, brown sugar, cornstarch, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and ground ginger. Blend until smooth.
- Pour this out over a 9-inch uncooked pie crust in a pie dish and smooth down.
- Bake for 1 hour at 350°F bringing it out at the 40 minute mark to tent with foil if it shows any signs of over-browning and putting it back in for the remaining 20 minutes.
- Let it cool on the counter for at least 2 hours before slicing and serving. You can also put it in the fridge once cooled and then let it chill some more. The more chilled it is, the better it will slice!
- Serve with some chopped pecans for decoration and some vegan whipped cream!
Recommended Reading: Seedless Concord Grape Pie Recipe
How To Store Sweet Potato Pie
- Allow the sweet potato pie to cool off on the counter. When you want to place something too early in the freezer, the crust can break and destroy the rest of the pie.
- Tightly seal the sweet potato pie with saran wrap or a foil and put it in the refrigerator.
You can serve the cold sweet potato pie, reheat a slice in the microwave for 20 seconds to warm it up before serving to the table.
Sweet Potato Pie Tips
- Boil extra sweet potatoes. Use the extras as a side dish for a simple Chicken Dinner tonight.
- Measure the potatoes. You want to have 2 ½ cups of mashed sweet potatoes. Adding too much or not enough to the filling could keep it from setting properly or it could overflow the crust! Use a measuring cup to measure the potatoes after youve mashed them.
- Consider Ricing: Using a potato ricer creates sweet potato filling with a lighter texture since you arent compressing the potatoes as much. If you have a ricer, this is definitely the time to use it.
- Make a Smooth Filling. Small lumps of potato in the filling arent a huge deal, but you can strain the filling mixture using a sieve to remove them so that your pie is silky and lump free.
- Let it rest. Sweet potato pie needs to cool down completely before you cut into it. Give it at least two hours at room temperature to set.
You May Like: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Sweet Potato Pie History
As far back as the 16th century, sweet potatoes were being shipped from South America to Western Europe and Africa. In Europe, sweet potatoes became increasingly popular, and locals created a dish known as sweet potato tarts. When colonists came to America, they continued to make this dish.
Over time, the sweet potato tart garnered the most fans in the American South because they were easier to grow than pumpkins .
As stoves became more attainable to households around the nation, and processed ingredients like sugar became more accessible, the idea of making formal desserts quickly spread, leading to the sweet potato pie that we know today.
So, while pumpkin pie may be the one thats often considered traditional for Thanksgiving , my theory that sweet potato pie deserves serious consideration for the T-Day spotlight does have some historical backing.
Things To Consider: Boiled Or Baked Sweet Potatoes
For this sweet potato pie recipe, I highly recommend baking your sweet potatoes. You must also consider how long do you bake a sweet potato pie. When you mash the sweet potatoes, they are usually much drier relative to a baked sweet potato. You can cook the sweet potatoes in the water and boil it on a burner. If you boil the sweet potato, the moisture stays inside.
Another advantage of baking the sweet potatoes is you do not have to mess a huge cooking pot. Youre going to have to keep them on top of the burner while they cook. Just bake the sweet potatoes in the oven with foil and a baking dish. You dont have to think about it, and its simple, hands-off planning time.
If you want to boil your sweet potatoes, you may need to apply some extra butter and milk. Otherwise, it can turn out very dry to the finished dessert. Remember to follow the steps on how long do you bake a sweet potato pie.
Recommended Reading: The Key Lime Pie Company