Turkey Or Chicken Pot Pie
Easy Chicken Pot Pie is always a family favorite, and it is SO incredibly easy. Sometimes I even cheat a little to make it easier when I know that I will have very little time to prepare a good dinner.
On those nights, I use precooked, diced chicken, so I don’t even have to cut the chicken breasts into pieces. I still do the same step of heating it in the olive oil with the onion, garlic salt, and pepper, I just heat it a few minutes less since it is already cooked.
Or, I save a few dollars by using the leftovers from my Slow Cooker Whole Chicken recipe. That is a lot cheaper than buying pre-cooked chicken and it gives the pot pie an extra boost of flavor from the spices in that recipe!
This is also a great way to use up that leftover holiday turkey! Just substitute diced turkey for the chicken.
The rest of the recipe couldn’t be easier, just toss in a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a can of cream of chicken soup, some milk, pour the whole thing into a refrigerated pie crust, toss the second crust on top, and you are good to go!
Make Chicken Pot Pie Ahead Of Time
One thing I love about this recipe is that its so make-ahead friendly. Prepare the filling and top it with the dough as early as a day ahead. Wait until youre ready to bake the pie to brush the egg wash on. The egg wash will dry out and crack as the pie bakes if you brush it on too early.
To freeze this pie, assemble the pot pie, but dont brush the egg wash on or bake it. Cover the unbaked pot pie with foil and freeze for up to three months.
Thaw the pot pie in the fridge overnight. Thirty minutes prior to baking, remove the dish from the fridge to give it time to warm upremember, shattered dishes are no bueno. Brush the egg wash on the dough and bake for 30 minutes in a 400°F oven.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth until smooth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick.
- Add peas and parsley to the filling.
- Fit the bottom pie crust into a pie plate.
- Spoon the creamy filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet .
Recommended Reading: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie is classic comfort food and will warm you up. Its a show-stopping dish with a flaky Pie Crust, filled with saucy chicken and vegetables.
If youve never tried a homemade savory pot pie, you are in for a treat. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
Making pot pie is like making a double batch of old-fashioned gravy, with chicken and veggies added. Its super easy to do, and takes very little time.
Also Check: Marcus Lemonis Key Lime Pie
Need More Chicken Dishes Try These:
If you MAKE & LOVE this recipe, share it on Instagram and tag me and/or #persnicketyplates so I can see it. I LOVE seeing what you make & Ill share it in my stories!
It is VERY HELPFUL to me and other readers if you leave a review after you make my recipe. Please come back & let me know how it turned out!
Swaps And Substitutions For Chicken Pot Pie
You can make this easy chicken pot pie gluten-free or dairy-free, swap out the vegetables, or save this recipe for Thanksgiving and use up leftover turkey in place of chicken. I use a basic medley of peas, carrots, onions, and celery in this chicken pot pie, but feel free to add things like sliced mushrooms, small diced potatoes , or your favorite root vegetables.
To make a gluten-free pot pie: Swapping the all-purpose flour for 1:1 Baking Flour . Swap the puff pastry for gluten-free pie dough.
To make a dairy-free pot pie: Use your favorite nut milk in lieu of the cows milk. Because the milk is used to make the gravy creamier, you can even omit the cows milk altogether.
You May Like: Campbells Soup Recipes For Chicken Pot Pie
How To Store And Reheat Chicken Pot Pie
To Store, you should wrap any leftovers with plastic wrap and aluminum foil and then store them in the fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer for up to 4 months. If you want to add an extra layer of protection, stick the wrapped pie into a freezer bag.
To reheat, you can put the refrigerated piece in the microwave for a couple of minutes. If the pie is frozen, I would thaw it in the refrigerator overnight and reheat it in the oven for 10-15 at 350F. If the crust is already brown, cover the pie with foil before sticking it in the oven.
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
If chicken pot pie excites you, but pie crust intimidates you, youve arrived at the perfect recipe. Classic chicken pot pie filling is baked into a stress-free casserole, and best of all, topped with biscuits for that tantalizing golden brown finish. And for those crazy enough to only want half, 1/2-sized biscuit tubes now exist!
Made this? Let us know how it went in the comment section below!
medium carrots, diced
stalks celery, diced
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
How Do You Cook Frozen Chicken Pot Pie
To bake a frozen pie, preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake the pie for 30 minutes covered with foil, remove the foil and continue baking for another 20-30 minutes or until golden brown and piping hot inside.
Baking the pie on a baking sheet covered in foil will make for easy clean-up in case it bubbles over!
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie
Read Also: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Directions To Make Chicken Pot Pie With Potatoes:
There are a few steps to go through to make your pot pie filling. But dont be intimidated, they are quite simple and it comes together in about five minutes time.
First, start by cooking your onion and garlic in olive oil.
Remove those and set aside to be added back later.
Next make a roux by simply melting butter and then whisking in flour.
In goes the softened cream cheese. Its going to look like a thick, lumpy, mistake. Dont worry, youre on track still.
Now its time to start adding liquids. Gently pour in chicken broth and whisk to combine and smooth out mixture.
Make sure to keep whisking to smooth it all together. Add your seasonings.
Then in goes milk, and more whisking, followed by cream and, you guessed it, more whisking. Make sure to taste test to see if you need any more salt, pepper, thyme or other seasonings.
Finally, its time to add our veggies and chicken, as well as return the onions and garlic to the filling.
While this delicious goodness is simmering, I prepare my pie crust.
Which means I open the box and roll it out. Were saving time here, people!
Youll notice my pie crust doesnt come all the way up the edges. Given that this really serves up more like a chicken pot pie casserole than a slice of pie, this is okay with me. If you want to make those edges perfect, you do you.
Top with the remaining pie crust. I cut four small slits into the center to give steam a chance to escape.
Ingredients Mini Chicken Pot Pies By Sammie27
A Mini Chicken Pot Pies By Sammie27 that’s quick to prepare and super tasty too. Portion it into ramekins for quick toddler meals you can pull out of the freezer, or cook in. Try these skin on potatoes today – we have an easy Mini Chicken Pot Pies By Sammie27 for the family
Steps to make Mini Chicken Pot Pies By Sammie27
Don’t Miss: Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie
How Do I Prevent A Potpie Crust From Getting Soggy
- For a single-crust pie, prebake the crust before filling.
- Brush the crust with a beaten egg white. This will help seal the crust and prevent the liquid filling from absorbing into the crust.
- Pour the filling into the crust while its still hot and immediately place the potpie in the oven. The heat from the filling will help set the crust.
- Bake the pie on a lower rack in the oven. Since heat is concentrated at the bottom, placing the potpie on the lowest rack ensures the bottom of the crust will bake up crisp and golden brown.
Ingredients For Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
- chicken breasts – boneless, skinless chicken breast, or leftover rotisserie chicken works great!
- frozen mixed vegetables, onion and garlic – frozen veggies work great here, the only chopping you’ll do is the onions and garlic.
- cream of chicken soup, milk, cheddar cheese – perfect to make an easy creamy gravy for this pie.
- pie crust – take a shortcut and use a pre-made pie crust.
- garlicsalt, pepper, olive oil – for seasoning and to saute the vegetables.
Recommended Reading: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie On A Stick Key West
More About This Recipe
- A chicken pot pie recipe was first featured in the Betty Crocker Cookbook way back in 1950, and its remained a favorite of home cooks ever since. Weve taken the classic recipe and added several time-saving spins that will streamline your prep time to a speedy 15 minutes. Just pull some frozen mixed vegetables from the freezer and a can of soup and box of Original Bisquick mix from the pantry, and youre on your way to a hearty, satisfying dinner that will taste like you spent all day in the kitchen. Once youve tried this recipe, there are so many fresh new twists you can try from Bettys best chicken pot pie collection which includes photos, tips and reviews, as well as recipes for time-tested favorites and modern new twists.
Other Recipes You Might Like
To crank up the romantic factor of the night, you can create a restaurant setting for your special someone.
Buy some flowers, have a centerpiece on the dining table, dim light, lots of candles, a bottle of great wine, gorgeous table setting, and two perfectly baked, golden-hued chicken potpies beckon while the aroma wafts and lingers in your kitchen.
I think that is extremely romantic! Whats more, you two dont have to brave the crowd at restaurantswhich are likely to be fully booked. No stress, no fuss, just a scrumptious meal at home, and engaging, lovey dovey conversations.
That would be my ideal way of celebrating St. Valentines Day!
This chicken potpie recipe doesnt have to made in two individual portions, on regular days, when your loved ones is hooked on your chicken potpie, you can use a 2-quart baking dish to make one big potpie.
Just roll out the pastry so its 1 inch wider than the dish, cut vents, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Happy Valentines Day!
You May Like: The Key Lime Pie Company