Shepherds Pie Recipe Beef Corn Potatoes
butter, beef broth, flour, potatoes, steak seasoning, milk, frozen corn and 1 more Shepherds Pie The Fresh Chile Company fresh vegetables, mashed potatoes, corn, asadero cheese, sauce and 6 more
Ingredients 2 lbs lean ground beef 1 yellow onion, diced 1/2 tsp salt 1/2 tsp pepper 3 cups water 1 cup milk 8 oz Butter & Herb Flavoured Instant Mashed Potato mix 2 tbsp margarine 1.74 oz brown gravy mix, 1/2 cup water 15.25 oz canned corn
My Family Loves This Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe You Only Need Five Ingredients To Make This Delicious Comfort Food Casserole And It Cooks In Under 30 Minutes
Sometimes life gets cray cray and you need a quick dinner recipe, am I right?! This Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe has got your back!
It has only FIVE simple ingredients and is constantly requested by my family of hungry boys. Whenever I make this, my kids literally scream YAY out loud!!
Full disclosure: I usually eat pretty healthy. I mean, this website is called Yummy Healthy Easy for a reason, right? But sometimes you need a good ol comfort food dinner on a cold evening to warm you up.
This Easy Shepherds Pie recipe is one of my absolute favorite go-to comfort food dinners. Ive been making this for years and for some reason, I never thought to share it with you!
When I made it last week, I was like why have I not taken photos of this and put it on the website?! So, here you go!
How To Make Ground Beef Casserole Step By Step
- Prepare Oven: First, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Second, heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium high heat.
- Ingredients to Pan: Next, add ground beef, onion, garlic, House Seasoning Blend, thyme and Rosemary
- Brown: Meanwhile, brown and chop the beef. I love this Ground Beef Chopper. Then cook until beef is cooked through and then drain excess fat from the pan.
- Thicken: Later stir in flour. Then add tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce and beef broth.
- Boil : Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes and then peas and carrots into the beef mixture.
- Cheese: Mix cheddar cheese to prepared mashed potatoes.
- Spread: Finally, spread potatoes on top of beef mixture
- Bake: Lastly, bake for 15 minutes or until potatoes are lightly browned.
LOVE EASY RECIPES? TRY THESE FAVORITES
You May Like: Key Lime Pie On A Stick Key West
What Is Shepards Pie
If youre new to Shepherds Pie , let me be the first to welcome you to your new favourite comfort food. Essentially, its lamb and veggies smothered in a gravy and who doesnt love an excuse for tons and tons of gravy?
All those times you were limited to just a small drizzle on a few slices of roast lamb because there wasnt enough to go around Bah! This is how you get your gravy fix!!
Easy Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
- 1lb.lean ground beef
- 1 10.75-ozcan tomato soup
- 1 14.5-ozcan green beansdrained
- 1-2cupsmashed potatoesleftover or cooked instant potatoes
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef. Drain if needed.
- Pour tomato soup and drained green beans into the ground beef and stir. Do not add extra water.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Pour ground beef mixture into bottom of casserole dish.
- Top with mashed potatoes. Sprinkle cheese over the top and cover with a piece of tin foil sprayed with cooking spray .
- Bake in preheated oven until heated through and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Recommended Reading: The Original Key Lime Pie Company
How Do You Make A Shepherds Pie With Corned Beef
Add the sauerkraut and mix everything together. In a 7 x 11 baking pan, grease, and place the corned beef mixture. Dollop the mashed potatoes on top and smooth out so theyre even. With a fork, scrape the top of the potatoes lightly. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes or until the top is lightly golden.
Tips For The Best Shepherds Pie
- Use lean ground beef or lamb so that everything holds together and does not fall apart from the excess grease.
- Use russet potatoes for the lightest and fluffiest potato topping.
- Let the shepherds pie rest for 10 minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to absorb back into the meat and help everything stay together.
- Broil the last couple of minutes to brown the potato topping.
Also Check: Campbells Soup Chicken Pot Pie
How To Store Shepherds Pie
This easy shepherds pie recipe makes such good left overs. I love how all the flavors in the beef filling marinate and taste amazing the next day. When storing it in the fridge. Make sure to completely cover the the dish with plastic wrap. To try and form a air tight seal. The leftovers will keep for up to three days. If you plan on keeping it longer that that. Freeze the portions immediately that you are not going to use with in 3 days.
Corned Beef Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Shepherds pie, or cottage pie, got its start across the pond back in the late 1700s, when potatoes were still a fairly new thing over there. People who worked on the land got the idea of stretching out their meat by putting in in a pot with veggies and gravy, then adding a nice, filling layer of mashed potatoes on top.
=> Shepards Pie Recipe: Down Home Shepherds Pie Another homemade version of shepards pie featuring ground beef, potatoes, corn, beans, cheese and gravy. 1 package potato flakes 2 pounds lean ground beef 1 onion, finely diced 1 can whole kernel corn, drained 1 can green beans, drained 4 cans brown gravy
Instructions. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Trim the fat off the corned beef and cut it into 3/4 inch chunks. Toss the corned beef with the flour to coat the chunks on all sides. Reserve the seasoning packet. Place a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add 4 tablespoon butter to the sauce pot.
Shepherds Pie. Shepherds Pie is a British dish traditionally made from leftover meat and vegetables, topped with mashed potatoes. A classic pie is made with lamb, but we prefer ground beef because lamb is both expensive and hard to find. The ground beef is cooked with vegetables and beef broth.
Recommended Reading: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Delivery
How To Make Easy Shepherds Pie
For the full recipe for ground beef shepherds pie, scroll to the bottom of this post.
How To Make This Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe
- Preheat Preheat oven to 400 Degrees and coat a 13×9 baking dish with cooking spray. Then set aside.
- Saute First, you will need to saute the yellow onion in the olive oil until they become golden brown. Then add the ground beef and break it apart.
- Cook Beef Next, add parsley, rosemary, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cook for 6-8 minutes Stirring occasionally until meat is completely brown.
- Saute Garlic Then, add the garlic and let it cook for about 1 minute or until it is golden brown. Next, add the Worcestershire sauce and stir until fully incorporated.
- Thickener Add flour and ketchup to the ground beef mixture. Mix until the flour make a nice creamy roux.
- Add Veggies The final step of the ground beef filling is to add the beef broth, frozen peas, carrots and corn kernels. Cook until the beef broth comes to a boil. Then, reduce heat and let simmer for 4-5 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add To Baking Dish Last, spread out the ground beef filling in a 13 x 9 baking dish. Make sure to spread it evenly and set aside.
Don’t Miss: The Key Lime Pie Company
How To Make Shepherds Pie
- Sauté some chopped onions in olive oil.
- Add ground beef or ground lamb.
- Add dried parsley, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cook the meat mixture until the meat is browned.
- Add minced garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook the garlic for a minute.
- Add flour and tomato paste.
- Add beef broth, frozen mixed peas and carrots, and frozen corn kernels.
- Simmer the meat gravy until it is thick.
- Boil some peeled and chopped potatoes until they are soft.
- Drain the potatoes
- Add butter, half & half, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Pour the meat mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top it with the cheesy mashed potatoes.
- Bake until the meat is bubbling and the potatoes are golden.
Easy Shepherds Pie Recipe
Shepherds Pie is ground meat with vegetables of choice cooked in gravy then layered with mashed potatoes. Its such an easy one-pan dish and is extremely simple to make .
Since the pie already has meat, veggies, and potatoes in the dish, you dont need them aside. However, fresh dinner rolls would really complete the dinner!
Recommended Reading: The Key Lime Pie Company
Simple Comfort Food The Entire Family Will Love
The only issue with a traditional shepherds pie is that they usually require 10+ ingredients and a lot of prep. No, thank you! Because my family enjoys this dinner recipe so much, I came up with a way to make it super quick and easy with just 6 simple ingredients.
- ground beef
- cheddar cheese
- mashed potatoes
In a large pan, simply brown the ground beef and and drain the excess grease. Add the tomato soup, frozen veggies, seasoning and about half a cup of water to the pan simmer for 5-10 minutes.
Evenly spread the beef mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9×13 baking dish.
Spread your mashed potatoes over the top and then sprinkle with 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown.
Even though this shepherds pie is incredibly easy to make, its not missing any flavor! I was pleasantly surprised at how good this simple recipe was, in fact, my husband thought it was better than the complicated recipes Ive made in the past.
- 1-2cupsshredded cheddar cheese
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Prepare the mashed potatoes according to the package directions .
Meanwhile, brown the ground beef on medium heat in a large skillet drain any excess grease.
Add the can of tomato soup, frozen mixed veggies, beef stew seasoning mix and 1/2 cup of water to the browned beef stir and simmer for 5-10 minutes on low heat.
Bake uncovered in the center rack for about 30 minutes, or until the cheese starts to brown.
What Kind Of Veggies To Use
Heres what I love about this easy shepherds pie recipe- you can use any veggies you want! And its extra easy because you just buy a bag of frozen mixed veggies and dump it right in- NO DEFROSTING NEEDED! No chopping, no peeling ahh, life is good.
I almost always use a mixture of peas, carrots, and corn. You can also use green beans, soy beans, broccoli, sweet potato anything you want!
And you can also use fresh veggies if you want. If you do, I recommend giving them a quick sauté or steam to soften them up a bit before adding them to the shepherds pie. Frozen veggies come partially cooked, since theyre blanched before freezing.
Also Check: The Key Lime Pie Company
Gluten Free Recipe Tips
Gluten Free Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. This information is solely based on my research and personal experience, and I provide it as a courtesy to my readers. Please consult your doctor or medical professional for any questions as it relates to your needs, particularly if you have celiac disease or a severe gluten allergy or intolerance. Products, manufacturing facilities, and ingredients change frequently, so you should always contact the manufacturer for the latest information.
Many traditional recipes are not, as they contain a brown gravy thickened with flour. However, this one does not. So its easy to make it as a gluten free casserole.
Just be sure to use Worcestershire sauce that is gluten free , as well as a gluten free beef broth.
The topping is nothing more than mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese. So there are no gluten-containing ingredients there. Go ahead and enjoy this classic dish as part of your gluten-free St. Patricks Day without worry!
Can I Make This Homemade Shepherds Pie Ahead Of Time
Making a classic shepherds pie is not hard. But, it can be a bit time consuming. So you can make the meat filling or potatoes a head of time. Then, add them to a baking dish when your are ready to make the casserole. I find it is best to finish it within a couple of days of making the other ingredients. When you are ready to eat it. Remove it from the refrigerator and let it warm up at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Then, uncover it and bake at 400 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
Don’t Miss: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie
Tips For Making Shepherds Pie
There are a few stages to making Shepherds Pie, but its a straightforward recipe. Theres just two little things that you dont see in most recipes, little things that bugged me:
Cool the filling before topping with potato: It thickens and makes it easier to spread the potato across the top and it stops the potato weeping into the filling
Creamier mashed potato = easier to spread and just an all round better eating experience. I just dont like dry, very firm mash. When I break through the mash, I want it to be borderline collapsing, rather than being able to cut cleanly through it like cake.
I stress again these are little things that bug me, so feel free to by-pass them! Nagi x
PS One last time Cottage Pie is made with beef. Shepherds Pie is made with lamb!
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Traditionally, shepherds pie is made with lamb . However, as the dish gained wider popularity outside of its native English homeland , beef became a common substitute, especially in America where its more widely available than ground lamb.
- tip 2 Refrigerated mashed potatoes cut a ton of prep time off of this recipe and are good to keep on hand. Try any flavored, refrigerated mashed potatoes to top this main-dish pie.
- tip 3 Looking for a few more ways to turn a pound of ground beef into dinner? Check out the rest of Bettys kitchen-tested ground beef recipes.
Read Also: Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie