Other Delicious Pies You Will Love
A scrumptious and easy fresh Banana Cream Pie with graham cracker crust and a fresh whipped topping. This is a banana lovers dream come true.
- Beth Pierce
- Total Time:35 minutes plus chilling time
- Yield:8 servings 1x
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter melted
- 1 1/4 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Why Youll Love This Recipe:
- This banana cream pie has a buttery graham cracker crust, luscious vanilla pastry cream filling and plenty of bananas!
- This is a crowd pleasing dessert thats perfect for any occasion.
- There are a couple of components to this recipe, but they may all be done in advance.
- The crust may be made gluten free, and the pastry cream may be made dairy free according to instructions in the ingredient notes below.
Make It With Different Types Of Crust
Although Im truly obsessed with the flavor in the peanut butter cookie crust you have plenty of options for making a crust:
- Feel free to use a regular pie crust like my homemade all butter pie crust for a more traditional banana cream pie. Be sure to blind bake the crust first as you will not be baking the pie after adding the filling .
- Try using other cookies for a different flavored cookie crust! Oreos, vanilla wafers and graham crackers would be amazing as a banana cream pie crust.
You May Like: Banana Cream Pie Milkshake Sonic
How To Make Stabilized Whipped Cream
Stabilized whipped cream is simply cream thats been fortified with a little gelatin before being whipped so that it holds its shape and doesnt weep.
Stabilized whipped cream will hold its shape for at least 24 hours. I generally pipe the whipped cream right before presenting the pie, but with the stabilized version you can do this well in advance.
How To Blind Bake A Pie Crust
Roll your homemade or store-bought crust dough out on a lightly floured board until its about an 1/8-inch thick and large enough to fit your 9-inch pie plate, with about 1-inch of pastry going beyond the rim of the plate.
Press the pastry gently down into the plate and then evenly trim the edges to about 1/2-inch of the edge of the pan with a sharp knife. Tuck the top edge of crust over and under and crimp or flute the edges. Transfer the pie plate to the freezer for 30 minutes while you preheat the oven.
Line the pie pastry with foil. I like to use regular foil, not heavy duty foil or parchment paper, because it is more pliable and easier to shape into the unbaked pie crust. Press the foil down lightly and fill it with pie weights. Dont have pie weights? You can use dry beans instead and when youre done allow them to cool and then store them in an airtight container in your pantry to use as pie weights over and over again.
Bake the weighted pie crust for 20 minutes at 400 degrees F. Remove the dish from the oven and carefully lift and remove the foil and pie weights. Use a fork to prick the bottom surface of the crust all over. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F, and bake the crust for an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until entire crust is golden brown.
Remove from the oven and allow the crust to cool completely before filling.
Also Check: Impossible Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make This Easy Banana Cream Pie Even Easier:
- You can swap out the homemade pastry with a simple homemade or even store bough graham cracker crust .
- You can swap out the homemade pastry with a refrigerated pie crust, simply roll it out and bake as directed in the recipe.
- I dont condone skipping out on the homemade custard filling , but I suppose it could be done.
Why Is My Banana Cream Custard Runny
Probably because it needed to cook a little bit longer. Here are a few tips for making the custard filling.
- After the first boil, the custard should be about the consistency of gravy.
- After the second minute boil, it should be the consistency of fresh-made pudding.
Make sure your custard is truly at a boil before you start your timer. My custard only takes a minute with each boil to thicken to the consistency that it needs to be. Every stove is different and yours may need an extra minute or so.
The custard will thicken as it cools in the refrigerator and as it sets up in the pie crust, but if your custard looks like soup then it may be undercooked.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Turkey Pot Pie Recipe
Homemade Banana Cream Pie
It is time. coming to life!!!
Thank you to everyone who entered the giveaway and submitted your recipe earlier this month. This was such a fun experience and I enjoyed reading through all of your favorite desserts and how you make them, too! I feel like we should do this again sometime. Maybe during the holidays?!
The randomly chosen winner was Sara, who asked me to perfect her banana cream pie recipe. This actually made me really happy because I always have trouble with banana cream pie setting up. And if its not the thickness issue, its the flavor. But this gave me an opportunity to focus this month!
Bakers, welcome to THE banana cream pie recipe.
First things first! This is a completely from-scratch banana cream pie recipe. There will be no boxes, zero mixes, zippity zilch shortcuts. Banana cream pie is such a specialty and while Ive definitely made this delicacy with pudding mixes in the past, we all deserve to try it the homemade way. Because I assure you: you can taste the difference. And it will graciously satisfy your heart, soul, and stomach.
Also, there are a lot of photos in your scrolling future. If youd like to jump to the recipe, keep scrolling. Its down there somewhere I swear.
Alternatively, how about using a graham cracker crust!? This is a much easier option. Make sure you pre-bake it for about 10 minutes at 350°F , then let it cool completely before filling.
Certainly not diet food, but diets do not belong in pies.
Variations On This Banana Cream Pie Recipe:
- I add a little bit of smooth peanut butter to my filling at the end, because peanut butter and bananas are meant to be together. However, you can absolutely skip this part and the rest of the recipe wont change at all.
- Add a tablespoonful of cocoa powder or a handful of chocolate chips to the custard filling for a chocolatey twist even better if youre also including the peanut butter!
- Swap the sweetened whipped cream for the homemade marshmallow creme from this Smores Pie.
- Grab a can of dulce de leche and spread a good thick layer in the bottom of your pastry before adding your filling for a Banoffee twist!
Pin this recipe to save for later
You May Like: Hardee’s Apple Pie
How To Make Banana Cream Pie
This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. This article has been viewed 91,050 times.Learn more…
Nothing beats a homemade banana cream pie made from scratch. Using pudding from a packet might be quick and easy, but it will still taste too much like pudding. This article will show you how to make a banana cream pie from scratch.
What I Love About This Banana Cream Pie:
- The filling: The key to perfect banana cream filling is in the consistency. If you cook it right, it will thicken to where the banana cream pie holds together well enough to serve it, but the custard is still creamy and soft. Be sure that the filling has thickened in the pan and definitely before pouring it into your crust.
- The crust: This banana cream pie can be made with a variety of different crusts. I make it with a wafer crust but you could also make it with homemade Graham cracker crust or a pre-baked traditional pie crust. Whichever crust you choose, Im begging you to make it from scratch because it will taste so much better!
- Make ahead of time. If youre looking to make this pie ahead of time, its easy to do. Just wait to add the bananas to the top before serving .
You May Like: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie On A Stick
How To Make Banana Cream
This article was co-authored by wikiHow Staff. Our trained team of editors and researchers validate articles for accuracy and comprehensiveness. wikiHow’s Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. This article has been viewed 31,400 times.Learn more…
Banana cream is a delicious snack that is often a healthier alternative to cake and other sweets. You can make it as the first step of a banana cream pie, serve it on cookies or biscuits, or just eat it plain. Either way, you’re going to love these easy recipes for making banana cream.
Pro Tips For This Recipe
- You can make this pie a day ahead, served chilled and it will be delicious!
- If you want to make the pie 2-3 days ahead just add the bananas and whipped cream before serving. Fresh bananas will get brown and mushy in a few days so best to add before serving.
- I LOVE this pie drizzled with a chocolate ganache or sprinkled with some toasted coconut on top. Have them both prepared when you serve so guests can play with some options.
- You can add a tablespoon less cornstarch to the filling for a softer texture. Its a delicate balance between texture and stability!
- This pie works well with a cookie crust too so feel free to experiment!
- Use vanilla bean paste for an extra hit of vanilla and lovely visual from all those tiny seeds floating throughout.
Don’t Miss: Key Lime Pie Review
Banana Cream Pie With Pudding
One of my very favorite pies is banana cream pie. My husbands grandma makes it for our Thanksgiving menu every year and its always the kids favorite.
I was shocked when I heard it was so simple to make! It not only tastes delicious around the holidays, but makes a great summer time pie to whip up since you dont have to warm up the kitchen with a hot oven.
If you love bananas, you are bound to love this pie too. Its light, fluffy and full of delicious banana flavor. Plus its made with just 5 simple ingredientsone being a box of instant banana pudding mix.
What If Your Pudding Isnt Thickening
If your pudding is cooking and just isnt thickening, resist the urge to crank up the heat. This could break the custard and make it chunky.
If its just not reaching pudding-level texture you can make a slurry. Simply whisk two tablespoons each of cornstarch and cold water together in a small bowl and you will have a slurry.
Next, remove the pudding from the heat, add the slurry one or two teaspoons at a time then return it to the heat to thicken until the pudding has reached the proper consistency.
Don’t Miss: Entenmann Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
What Is Blind Baking
For this recipe , you will need to bake the pie crust on its own, without the filling. This is called blind baking. You have to line the pie crust with parchment paper and fill it with weights to make sure it doesnt bubble up while cooking.
Youre left with a perfect pie crust to fill with your custard. You can read more about blind baking here.
How To Make Banana Cream Pie:
1. Make the crust. Crush wafers in a food processor, mix with melted butter, and press into pan.
2. Make the filling. The custard filling is made on the stovetop with milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, eggs, butter, and vanilla. NOTE: Be sure that the filling has thickened in the pan and definitely before pouring it into your crust.
3. Fill half with custard. After you make and cool the custard, layer half of it inside the pie crust, and top it with a layer of sliced bananas.
4. Add sliced bananas. You can also add bananas to the top of the pie when serving, instead .
5. Add the rest of the custard. Smooth the rest of the custard over the sliced bananas. Top the pie with some sweetened, freshly whipped cream. Heaven!
6. Refrigerate. Make sure to give the pie several hours in the fridge. This is crucial in making sure it sets up properly, and doesnt get sloppy on you when you cut into it. To store: Cover the pie in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Don’t Miss: Bean Pie Meme
Best Crust For Banana Cream Pie
Although we prefer our favorite homemade baked crust for banana cream pie , there are several different things you could do.
- Oatmeal pie crust. Yes. This would be so.good.
- Oreo crust. Buy golden Oreo cookies and crush them along with a little butter and a few tablespoons of sugar. Mmmwhat a sweet crust!
- Traditional graham cracker crust. Buy one from the store if youd like a shortcut! Easy peasy.
- Whole wheat pie crust. If youre looking to add a little whole wheat to your diet.
Crust For Banana Cream Pie
Graham Cracker Crust: A graham cracker crust doesnt require baking. Store-bought graham crusts tend to be a bit thin and dont hold up as well. Making a graham crust takes only about 5 minutes.
Pastry Crust: If using a pastry crust you will want to blind bake the pie crust .
Read Also: Impossible Easy Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make Banana Cream Pie From Scratch
Now that you have all of your ingredients, its time to layer this baby up. These are the basics, but be sure to read each instruction in the actual recipe at the bottom of the post very carefully to ensure success: