How Long Does Apple Pie Take
We bake a standard 9-inch pie in a 400 degree oven for about 75 minutes.
One of the biggest complaints with apple pie is that the filling is too runny, even after following a recipe. Thats why weve become such fans of this method of making apple pie.
With this method , the pie bakes at one temperature for a long time. This extra long bake time makes sure the liquid in the apple pie filling has a chance to simmer and thicken.
Why You Will Love Crustless Pumpkin Pies
EASY TO MAKE: The biggest benefit of crustless pumpkin pies is that they are an easy recipe. This is perfect for those who don’t have a lot of time to spend in the kitchen. They also eliminate the need to roll out messy pie crusts and can be made in just one bowl!
HEALTHIER THAN TRADITIONAL PUMPKIN PIE: The crust is usually higher in carbs and fat than the pumpkin pie filling in a traditional pumpkin pie. Crustless pumpkin pies are a great alternative for those who want to eat healthier, plus it tastes amazing! You won’t even miss the crust!
SAME GREAT FLAVOR AS TRADITIONAL PIE: This crustless pie is full of the same great flavor as the traditional pumpkin pie, complete with ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
EASY CLEANUP: Made in just one bowl, this makes it easy to clean up!
QUICK TO MAKE: No crust pumpkin pies are less difficult to make than other pumpkin pies because there is less prep work involved. They only require the filling and the topping, which only take a few minutes to prepare. This recipe also cuts down on cooking time by about 20 minutes or more!
EASY TO DIGEST: This crustless pumpkin pie recipe is great for some people because it has no crust, which is hard to digest, especially if they have health conditions such as GERD.
MAKE AHEAD: This pumpkin pie can be made ahead of time and stored in the fridge for later use. Perfect when you have other dishes to prepare!
GLUTEN-FREE: This pie is naturally gluten-free as there is no crust!
The Best Keto Peanut Butter Pie
Peanut butter and chocolate might just be the best combination ever created. And Resse’s are my all-time favorite candy, so I had to create a recipe that turns a classic Reese’s cup into a low carb pie.
Now, if you’ve been following my blog, then you know I’ve made a few other 5 minute keto pie recipes recently – like this Keto Pecan Pie, and this Keto Pumpkin Pie. They are so clutch for when you’re craving some pie but don’t want to have to make the entire thing.
For now though, let’s focus on this peanut butter chocolate one. The pie filling is insanely rich and creamy, loaded with peanut butter flavor. And the almond flour pie crust tastes like a decadent fudgy brownie, making this easy keto dessert drool-worthy.
Seriously, after you taste this healthy peanut butter pie, it’ll be hard to believe there are only 4 NET CARBS per serving!
And the best part, this keto pie takes under 5 minutes to make from start to finish! Seriously, how awesome is that.
Read Also: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Tips For The Best Apple Pie Recipe
- Let the pie crust come to room temperature before you try to unroll it. Otherwise the cold pastry may tear or crack.
- Once the dough is unrolled, I like to cover the dish and chill it in the refrigerator for about 10-20 minutes before I add the filling. This isn’t necessary, but the cold pastry yields a flakier pie crust! You can do the same for the top layer — unroll the dough at room temperature, then cover and chill the dough before topping the pie.
- Halfway through the baking time , I suggest that you lightly cover the edges of the crust with strips of aluminum foil. This will prevent the edges from burning or getting too dark while the rest of the pie bakes.
- Allow the pie to sit on the counter on a wire rack to cool for about 2 hours before slicing. This gives the filling a chance to set.
- Top each slice of pie with vanilla ice cream or freshly-whipped cream for a real treat!
This homemade easy apple pie recipe is the definition of All-American comfort food, and it certainly wins a blue ribbon in our minds. I hope that your family enjoys it as much as we do!
What Is The Trick To Making Pie Crust
The trick to getting that fluffy, light texture is how you mix the dough.
You May Like: The Key Lime Pie Company
The Best Apples For Apple Pie
Apple pie is the perfect vessel for using up whatever random variety of apples you got from the market or while apple picking. In fact, a combination of sweet and tart apples makes for a more balanced pie filling. Granny Smith and Jonagold are ideal tart apples for baking, while Pink Lady, Gala, and Honey Crisp are sweet. All of these varieties also keep their shape as they bake.
Tips For Making The Best Dough
One thing I did learn when you make a fruit pie or any type of pie that may cause a soggy bottom, you have two choices.
Add the same quantity of sugar as salt (for instance if the recipe calls for a pinch of salt add a pinch of sugar.
or Brush the bottom of the pie crust lightly with the white of an egg before baking).
The best way I found to make a tender flaky pie crust is to make it by hand, doesnt take much but it sure tastes amazing.
When rolling out my dough for my pies or tarts I tend to go a just little thicker than 1/8 of an inch.
If you find that your dough is too dry, then add a little bit of cold water , gently knead together before adding an additional teaspoon.
Some people when making Homemade Pie Dough will use lard or shortening. I use butter mainly because I prefer the taste and the flakiness that only butter will give. But you decide.
Recommended Reading: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
How To Make The Apple Pie
Peel, core and cut the apples, and sprinkle them with a little lemon juice or apple cider vinegar to keep from browning. Toss them with a little flour, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and vanilla, and let the filling sit while you roll out the pie crusts.
Remove the dough disks from the refrigerator and let them sit for 10 to 15 minutes before rolling one of the disks out to 12-inch circles, about 1/8″-inch thick.
Line the bottom of a 9-inch pie plate and line with the rolled out dough. Trim the edges to a half-inch from the sides of the pie pan. Scoop the apples into the pie plate and create a mound in the center. Don’t worry if the apples are high in the pan, they’ll shrink as they cook.
Roll out the second pie dough disk. If you want to make a lattice pie, see our directions for making a lattice pie here. Otherwise, place the second round of rolled out pie dough over the apples, and tuck the edges of the top pie crust over and under the bottom pie crust edges. Crimp with your fingers to seal.
Score the top in several places to create vents for steam to escape .
The Apples We Use For Apple Pie
To make this apple pie, we use approximately 4 pounds of apples. For the best apple flavor, try adding more than one variety of apple to your pie.
We especially love these varieties of apples for baked desserts and pie:
- Granny Smith Your standard, never-fails baking apple. Tart, crisp, and they keep their structure after time in the oven.
- Honeycrisp Extra crisp and always holds firm after baking. One of our favorites!
- Jonagold Tart with a bit of sweetness. They also hold up well in the oven.
- Braeburn Crisp, sweet apples that hold up well in pie and other baked desserts.
- Mutsu Big apples that look like a large Golden Delicious. Has a sweet honeyed flavor and holds up well in pie.
- Pink Lady A good balance of sweet and tart. Will also hold its shape when baked.
- Golden Delicious Sweet and flavorful apple thats very versatile. Will hold up in pie, but will become softer than some of the varieties mentioned above.
- Jazz Sweet and crisp flavor. Will hold up nicely in pie.
Read Also: Chocolate Key Lime Pie On A Stick
What Ingredients Do I Need To Make Pie Crust
First of all, you probably already have all the ingredients for pie crusts in your pantry right now. Heres what you need:
- Flour All-Purpose Flour works great as the base of this recipe
- Salt for flavor
- Baking Powder helps the crust to rise and adds a savory flavor
- Sugar for a little bit of sweetness
- Shortening serves as the fat in this recipe, making those light, flaky layers
- Egg makes the dough more pliable and easier to roll out
- Ice Water acts as a binder for other ingredients, helps keep shortening cold
- White Vinegar keeps your pie crust nice and tender dont leave this out!
Thats it! For real. This is the easiest and most delicious crust you will ever taste!
How To Store And Freeze Apple Pie
Apple pie will easily last a couple of days, lightly covered with plastic wrap or aluminum foil, on your counter at room temperature.
After a couple days, you can keep the pie chilled for a few more days in the fridge. If you want, warm the pie in a 350Â°F oven for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
- To freeze the unbaked pie, wrap the assembled pie in plastic wrap, with as much air pressed out as possible. Then wrap the pie in a layer of foil this will help keep the plastic wrap in place. Freeze for up to a month. When ready to bake, remove it from the freezer, unwrap, and place it into the oven. Bake as directed, adding on about 15 minutes to the baking time, or until the top is golden and the filling is bubbling.
- To freeze a baked pie, wrap and freeze the pie as above. When ready to serve, unwrap and let the pie thaw at room temperature. Warm it up in a 350Â°F oven for about 15 minutes to crisp up the top and warm the filling.
Cooling And Storing Apple Pie
The hardest part of pie baking is waiting for the pie to cool completely before slicing. The cooler your pie is, the cleaner your slices will be. Warm apple pie with ice cream is amazing, though, so if thats your goal, you still might want to give this pie at least an hour to cool . Leftover apple pie keeps well in the fridge for up to three days.
How To Make A Pie Crust
To start, youll whisk together the all-purpose flour, salt, and sugar. Then add the cold cubed butter and cold vegetable shortening and cut it into the dry ingredients with a pastry cutter. If you dont have a pastry cutter you can also use a fork to cut the fat into the flour mixture.
If you want to make this step even easier, feel free to use a food processor. If you do use a food processor, I recommend just pulsing the mixture. You want to see pea-sized pieces of fat, but a few larger pieces are fine too.
Next, youll slowly mix in your ice water. One tablespoon at a time is the perfect amount, so you dont end up with too much water in your dough and a sticky mess. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of ice water, but you may not need the full amount. Just use enough ice water to get the dough to come together.
Once you add enough water, the mixture will start to look like the picture above and when you squeeze it in your hand it will hold together. Just try not to use your hands too much when making the dough because your hands are warm and can quickly melt the fat in your dough.
Once the dough comes together, turn it out onto a lightly floured surface and gently pack it into a ball. Cut the dough in half and flatten it out into two discs. Wrap each disc of dough tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least one hour. You may also store these in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If its too hard to roll, just let it sit at room temperature for 10 to 15 minutes.
You May Like: Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Campbell’s Soup
Why Youll Love This Homemade Pie Crust Recipe:
- Know whats in it: Knowing the ingredients in your pie crust helps you avoid additives and control the flavor elements.
- Be proud of yourself: If youre going to go to the trouble of making a homemade pie, do it up right by also making a homemade crust!
- It tastes so much better: Crust is crust, right? Not so fasta homemade crust has real flavor to enjoy!
Ingredients For Apple Pie
This is just a quick overview of the simple ingredients that you’ll need for a classic apple pie recipe. As always, specific measurements and complete cooking instructions are included in the printable recipe box at the bottom of the post.
- Pie crust: your favorite pie crust will work, so feel free to make it from scratch if you like. My mom always uses a box of refrigerated Pillsbury pie crusts, so that’s what I’ve shown here.
- Apples: sweet-and-tart Granny Smith apples work best for the filling.
- Sugar: to sweeten the filling.
- All-purpose flour: to thicken the filling.
- Lemon juice: a bright, acidic touch. It balances the sweetness of the fruit and enhances the apples’ natural flavors.
- Cinnamon, nutmeg and salt: spices that season the filling.
Read Also: The Key Lime Pie Company