Can You Make This In The Crock Pot
Yes, you can definitely make a version of this pot pie casserole in the crock pot. Our Crock Pot Chicken Pot Pie is one of my favorite fall meals. It is easy to make and the process and ingredients are very similar to the casserole.
We like to top our pot pie with canned biscuits to make this an easy weeknight meal. You can also make the filling in the crock pot, then assemble your casserole and back it after the filling is ready from the slow cooker.
Making Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
PREP. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
SAUTE. In a large pot set over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the carrots and celery, sauté for 5 minutes. Add the onion and garlic, sauté until tender and transparent, about 3 minutes.
SIMMER. Sprinkle flour over top and whisk to combine. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly pour in the chicken broth, whisking vigorously to help thicken without clumps forming. Add half and half along with the seasonings, whisk to combine.
Bring mixture to a simmer, continue cooking for 15 minutes or until the filling is nice and thick .
Why This Recipe Works
Lately I have been chipping away at my to-make list of comfort foods. Ive been wanting to make something along these lines for so long. It was super easy to make this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole.
It is comforting, delicious and low calorie! Dan claimed it was the best version of it hed ever eaten. He rarely makes extreme statements, so that is a ringing endorsement!
This Easy Chicken Pot Pie recipe comes to mind when Im wanting to make a meal for a family who just had a baby or came home after a stay in the hospital. Everyone loves it!
Proteins and vegetables are all wrapped together in a delicious gravy with a buttery crust that your family will love.
Also Check: Churches Apple Pie
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Enjoy a hearty comfort food for dinner Chicken Pot Pie will be enjoyed by all!
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a large round baking dish with cooking spray and set aside. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the carrots, peas, onions, salt and pepper.
Cook, stirring occasionally, until veggies are soft and the onion is fragrant, 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the chicken breasts, chicken broth, cream of chicken soup, milk and flour . Mix well and cook over medium-low heat for an additional 5 minutes.
Pour the chicken mixture from the skillet into the prepared baking dish. Cover with the pie crust, letting the edges hang over the sides of the dish. Using a sharp knife, cut a few slits into the dough.
Place baking dish on a baking sheet and bake in the preheated oven for 40 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes. Cut pizza-style and serve warm!
Helpful Tips Tricks & Equipment
- The Chicken Pot Pie Casserole filling will bubble up a bit during baking, so use a large rectangular baking dish with a capacity of about 5 quarts…the size of a dish you’d use to make a big lasagna. If you’re still worried about the size of your dish, however, place a large rimmed baking sheet on the rack under your baking dish to catch any potential overflow.
- In place of the half-and half, you can use milk to lighten things up or heavy cream for extra decadence.
- Feel free to leave out the wine .
- If you don’t have food processor, you can make the biscuit dough by hand…see the note at the bottom of the recipe.
- If you don’t have buttermilk for the biscuits, you can use regular milk instead.
- You may use whole wheat pastry flour in lieu of all-purpose flour if you prefer 100% whole wheat biscuits.
- The biscuit batter should be very sticky but not runny. If it ends up too sticky, pulse in a couple more tablespoons of flour.
Also Check: Sonic Coconut Cream Pie Shake 2021
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Variations
- If you don’t want to use the store-bought pie crust, you can prepare your own homemade pie crust to use with this recipe.
- Top the pot piewith puff pastry instead of pie crust by following these instructions.
- For an old fashioned chicken pot pie with a double crust , follow these instructions.
- Use leftover turkey instead of chicken.
- Add different vegetables to the filling, such as frozen mixed vegetables, frozen corn kernels, or crisp-tender steamed broccoli.
- Season the filling with fresh or dried herbs such as thyme, parsley, oregano, rosemary, or chives. Garlic powder would also be a great addition.
- Brush the top of the crust with an egg wash for an even deeper brown color and a bit of shine.
- Turn this recipe into individual chicken pot pies! You can divide the filling evenly among individual ramekins or oven-proof bowls and cut the pie crust to fit over each smaller dish. You may need to use 2 pie crusts, since you are cutting the dough and will likely have some waste from the scraps. The baking time will remain about the same.
How Are Biscuits Made
Its really simple. I know that using a mix is easy but I promise homemade biscuits are just as easy and taste even better.
There are just a couple things to remember when youre making biscuit dough:
- Cold ingredients
- Use a light touch
Start by mixing your dry ingredients. Then you cut-in cold Challenge Butter thats diced. When I say cut-in I mean use a fork or pastry cutter to disperse the butter through the dry ingredients. Lastly, you stir in your buttermilk with a light touch, meaning that you stop when its just mixed and use your hands to gently finish the process.
Since were making a casserole, I just dropped the biscuit mixture on top the filling, like a chicken pot pie cobbler!
Once the casserole is baked the filling is bubbly and creamy and the biscuits are light and fluffy with crusty edges. This really is the perfect comfort food!
Don’t Miss: American Pie Free Movie
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole With Biscuits
Do you need an easy comfort food dinner recipe that will feed a large family? Try this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole with Biscuits for a warm filling weeknight dinner.
*This post contains affiliate links. See full disclosure policy above.
Chicken pot pie is a comfort food family favorite. To make this traditional dinner into an easy casserole recipe, start with some cooked, shredded chicken breast meat. I recommend cooking the chicken the day before or over night in a crock pot on low.
Other Casseroles We Love:
**Did you make this recipe? Dont forget to give it a star rating below!**
Dont miss this easy casserole recipe your family will love the comfort! Rotisserie chicken and cream of chicken soup makes this a chicken pot pie ANYONE can make you should try it tonight!
All text and images © DOROTHY KERN for Crazy for Crust. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words, or link back to this post for the recipe. Disclaimer: Nutrition information shown is not guaranteed to be accurate.
This post may contain affiliate links. For more information, read my disclosure policy.
You May Like: The Key Lime Pie Company
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 This super-simple casserole is a great way to use leftovers. Try the recipe with turkey and turkey gravy, or beef and beef gravy.
- tip 2 To thaw frozen mixed vegetables, place them in a colander or strainer and rinse with warm water until they are thawed. Drain vegetables well before adding them to the gravy mixture.
- tip 3 Use small cookie cutters to create holes in the top pastry crust. Save the cutouts and arrange them on the top crust, leaving the holes open, before baking.
More Comforting Casserole Recipes
- Craving pizza? Make my Pizza Casserole! Its always a family favorite with layers of cheese, pasta, and beef.
- 7 Layer Casserole is one of my favorite dinners from when I grew up! Its a stick-to-your ribs meal that is great for weeknights.
- Tuna Macaroni Casserole is one of my favorite ways to dress up boxed mac and cheese! Its always a winner at my house and it will be at yours, too!
- Cheesy Ham and Noodle Casserole is a great way to use up leftover ham for a cozy dinner that will fill everyone up.
Did you make this? If you snap a photo, please be sure tag me on Instagram at or #julieseatsandtreats so I can see your yummy treat!
Don’t Miss: Key Lime Pie Co
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Casseroles are the ultimate comfort food and this Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is no exception. It has an easy chicken pot pie filling anyone can make it starts with rotisserie chicken. The homemade biscuit topping is easy enough a kid could make it!
This post is sponsored by Challenge Dairy, whose butter and cream cheese takes this from a normal casserole to one that everyone in your family will love.
Ill never forget Chicken Pot Pie night in my house growing up. We usually had two different kinds of chicken pot pie: the kind that was like chicken and dumplings but wasnt soup or the kind that was an actual pie filled with chicken pot pie filling. Those were two of my favorite meals growing up can you guess why?
Ive been making chicken pot pie or some version of chicken and dumplings for years now and its one of my husbands favorite meals. Theres just something so comforting about a creamy chicken pot pie filling, isnt there?
To date, this is our favorite version yet: Jordan ate it all! AND Mel ate the leftovers . This is a winner, winner, chicken dinner and its super easy to make. In fact, itll be in the oven in less than 20 minutes even with the homemade biscuits.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is the ultimate comfort food for a chilly night. Chicken Casserole + Pot Pie equals one DELICIOUS recipe!
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole might just be my new favorite casserole. Thats saying something because we LOVE casseroles around here. Some of my favorites have been our Broccoli Rice Casserole, Reuben Casserole , and Stuffed Pepper Casserole.
I just cant get enough of this brand of easy comfort food. All the flavor and absolutely none of the fuss. I recently made Chicken Pot Pie Soup and remembered just how much I love the flavors of a Chicken Pot Pie.
This Easy Chicken Casserole Pot Pie Recipe has quickly become one of my go-to recipes on the site, and for good reason.
This Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is loaded with the tastiest sauce, chunky chicken, peas, carrots, and more, and topped with a beautiful lattice pie crust. Homey, delicious, fun, and SO COMFORTING.
Dont you want to just dive in?! Even though the pie crust isnt made from scratch, people are going to be super impressed with this recipe.
All the flavors of classic Chicken Pot Pie in this tasty Chicken Casserole recipe!
Read Also: Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Casserole Step By Step:
This is just one of those easy to whip together recipes. We like to use Butter flavored flaky biscuits and add the cheese to the top for a little extra flavor, but you can use whatever you like and opt to not use the cheese completely.
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
Add this easy Chicken Pot Pie Casserole to your quick weeknight dinner idea list. Pot Pies make for a comforting meal during the fall and winter months. Since this recipe uses store bought crescent rolls for the crust, it comes together quite easily. You can grill a few chicken breasts or use a store bought rotisserie chicken too!
Recommended Reading: Supreme Bean Pie Recipe
Can This Be Frozen
So unlike a traditional pot pie, this one has a biscuit topping, but yes you can freeze it. To freeze before baking just make according to directions, through boiling the filling and adding it to the pan.
Let cool completely then cover and freeze for up to 2 months.
When you are ready to serve, you can bake from frozen, but add an additional 15-20 minutes onto the baking time, to add the biscuits I would bake for about 20 minutes until it becomes liquidy, then remove from oven and add the biscuits then so they do not get overdone.
I do not recommend freezing the biscuits with the pot pie mixture itself.
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
This is one of those dishes that I dont think necessarily needs a side dish. But here are a few things I would consider adding to the table.
- TheseDinner Rolls are fantastic and I actually think they would be amazing with casserole poured over them.
- If we are putting the casserole over things, I think these Three Ingredient Mashed Potatoes would be perfect for it too.
- And if you want to add some green to dinner, think about making my Arugula Salad. It is so easy to make but really delicious.
If you make my Chicken Pot Pie Casserole recipe or any of my other recipes, please leave me a comment and let me know what you think.
You May Like: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Variations To Chicken Pot Pie Casserole:
- Try other veggies in the chicken pot pie casserole. Bell peppers, green beans and others.
- If we have them I will also add in some diced green onions.
- You can use any types of potatoes shredded, diced hash browns or regular potatoes . If you use fresh potatoes, peel and dice them into small pieces until adding them.
- Substitute the cream of chicken soup with cream of mushroom soup or cream of vegetable soup based on your preference or what you have on hand.
- Use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts. You can also use a combination of both!
- You can also use rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken to make this chicken pot pie casserole.
- Use biscuits on top instead of crescent rolls. I would cook the bottom crust and then just top with cooked biscuits when serving instead of the 2nd layer of crescent rolls.
- Shred cheddar cheese, mix it into the pot pie filling before adding to the casserole to make this pot pie cheesy.