How To Store Homemade Sweet Potato Pie
You can serve the sweet potato pie chilled, reheat a slice for 20 seconds in the microwave to serve it warm or serve it at room temperature.
This Sweet Potato Pie is a Southern classic that absolutely deserves its prime spot on your Thanksgiving dessert table! While pumpkin pie may be the king of Thanksgiving, I highly recommend you give this Sweet Potato Pie recipe a try.
If you are looking for more awesome Thanksgiving recipes, make sure and check out these other Southern classics that my family loves:
Easy Sweet Potato Pie
This Easy Sweet Potato Pie is a simple to prepare, homemade version of a classic southern treat. Sweet, creamy, and full of flavor. Make this recipe soon, you won’t be disappointed!
This recipe can be made with a store-bought pie crust or you can choose to make your own Homemade Buttery Pie Crust. Also if you love the flavors of sweet potato pie, then you should try making a Sweet Potato Pound Cake.
To me, nothing says that it is Thanksgiving better than a good ole sweet potato pie.
For years, I was intimidated to even give this pie a try. Each year I would ask my mom to make this treat for me so that I could enjoy it. To me, it is the perfect dessert to end a very filling holiday meal. A few years ago I decided to spend some time in the kitchen to watch my mom make these pies and I was floored to see how easy they are to make. The hardest part about preparing these pies is the prep required for the sweet potatoes.
The recipe begins by picking out four large sweet potatoes. Next, you need to clean, peel, and cut the sweet potatoes into large chunks. Lastly, you have to boil them until they are fork-tender and drain off all the water to add them to the recipe. That is all you need to do to prepare the sweet potatoes. Place the potatoes along with all of the other pie ingredients into a stand mixer bowl and mix until smooth before adding into the pie crust to bake. That is it! This recipe is so simple and definitely worth giving a try this holiday season.
Can You Freeze Sweet Potato Pie
Yes, you can freeze sweet potato pie. Its important to allow the pie to defrost slowly in the refrigerator or it may get wet and have moisture on top of the pie.
Another option is to make the pie crust and freeze it, then make the pie filling closer to the day you want to serve it. That will say some of the mess.
Don’t Miss: Damgoode Pies Kavanaugh
What Equipment To Use
To make a sweet potato pie, you will need a mixer! You can use a hand mixer or a stand mixer, either will do. This recipe could also be made by hand using a whisk or wooden spoon. However, it will take some arm muscle to mix the ingredients together until creamy. I love using my KitchenAid Stand Mixer to make things easier, but I have made it with a hand mixer as well.
Whip The Cream And Serve
Up to 3 hours before serving, whip the cream on medium speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. When it starts to thicken, add the confectioners sugar. Continue to whip until it forms stiff peaks.
Before serving, slice the pie into wedges and top each slice with a dollop of whipped cream.
You May Like: Damgoode Pies River Market
How To Make Pie Crust With A Food Processor
- Add flour, butter, shortening, and salt to the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- Pulse 8 to 10 times to combine the flour mixture until the butter and shortening are the size of peas.
- Add the ice water, a tablespoon at a time, through the feed tube and pulse to combine. Repeat until the pie dough just begins to form a ball.
- Remove the pie dough ball from the food processor and proceed with the recipe as instructed.
I Never Had The Chance To Really Cook With Either Of My Parents Before But I Understand Now Why So Many Families Cherish Passing Down Family Recipes
Making sweet-potato pie with my father was a nice bonding experience for the two of us. It was a way to honor my family’s past and also create new memories together.
It’s also a testament to the importance this dish holds for many families, and I plan to continue passing it down so that its legacy in our family, as well as in our culture, will endure.
Don’t Miss: Fried Key Lime Pie Key West
Make The Sweet Potato Pie Filling
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment , beat the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until the mixture is moistened and crumbly, about 1 minute.
Beat in the egg.
Then add the yolks, one at a time, until the mixture is creamy and smooth, a few minutes.
Add the vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger beat until just combined.
Add 1¾ cups of the mashed sweet potatoes .
Mix to combine.
Finally, add the evaporated milk.
Mix on low speed to combine.
Pour the sweet potato filling into the pie crust and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
The Best Sweet Potato Pie Starts With Baked Sweet Potatoes
Many sweet potato pie recipes call for boiling the sweet potatoes on the stovetop until tender, but I believe that the best sweet potato pie is made from baked sweet potatoes. Baking sweet potatoes softens them without adding extra moisture, concentrates their flavor and sweetness, and makes sweet potato pie-making easier. Less moisture in the sweet potatoes also means a creamier pie. Sure, whole sweet potatoes take at least an hour to bake in the oven, but that cook time is completely hands-off. Theres no peeling, no dicing, and no tending to a boiling pot on the stove, which is the last thing you want to be doing while making three or four other side dishes for Thanksgiving.
Make-ahead tip: Bake the sweet potatoes up to one week in advance and store the flesh in an airtight container in the fridge until ready to purée.
Also Check: Key Lime Pie Review
Is Pie Crust Better With Butter Or Shortening
Basically, the debate exists on whether to use butter, shortening, lard or some combination for the flakiest, best-tasting pie crust. I like a combination of butter and shortening for pie crusts. The shortening helps it to be super flaky, tender and sturdy, while the butter gives it the delicious buttery flavor. The combination results in a delicious, flaky, yet perfectly sturdy crust that works for even heavier pie fillings.
Canned Vs Fresh Sweet Potatoes
It might seem like an extra step to bake fresh sweet potatoes instead of using canned, but you really get a bigger payback with a deep, roasty flavor and lighter texture.
The texture of the mashed cooked potatoes should be just a little chunky, which gives the pie a lighter texture than pumpkin pies made with canned pumpkin.
TIME-SAVING TIP! Bake the potatoes while you blind bake the crust, so it doesnt take much additional time.
Recommended Reading: Key West Key Lime Pie On A Stick
The Perfect Crust Every Time
Ive tested this perfect pie crust recipe so many times over the years and know this recipe works with most pie fillings and can be made by hand fairly quickly. It always provides a flaky crust with lots of flavor that is sturdy enough for heavy pie fillings.
In other words, this is the perfect pie crust and the only recipe youll ever really need.
Be sure to watch us make this easy recipe in the video below.
Ingredients For Black Folks Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- 1 ½ pound of sweet potatoes, washed and scrubbed
- 12 oz. evaporated milk, 1 can
- 1 cup of light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon of ginger, minced
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon of ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
Also Check: Pinkie Pie Playset
What Ingredients Are Needed To Make This Easy Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
See the recipe card below for ingredient quantities.
Tips For Baking Sweet Potatoes
- Select similar sized sweet potatoes.
- Do not let them touch while cooking.
- Do not wrap them for cooking as this will trap the steam and cause the skin to be too soft. Only wrap is using them in another dish where the skin will be discarded, such as sweet potato casserole.
- An instant read thermometer should register between 205º F and 212º F in the thickest portion of the potato when perfectly cooked.
Also Check: Pinkie Pie Pony Toy
Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients:
- Unbleached all-purpose flour this is used to make the base of the pie crust. Standard bleached flour will work too if thats what you have, unbleached just has better flavor.
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar the white sugar is used in the pie crust to add a faint sweetness and the brown sugar is used for the filling. The added molasses of the brown sugar pairs perfectly with the sweet potato flavor.
- Salt this brings out the flavors of the pie crust and filling so it doesnt taste flat.
- Unsalted and salted butter unsalted butter is used in the pie crust , and salted butter for the filling. Salted browned butter tastes so much better than unsalted.
- Ice water be sure to add lots of ice to the water, stir and rest before you use it. This helps the butter stay cold so you end up with a flaky crust.
- Sweet potatoes I like to use red garnet variety. Other orange varieties work as well but dont use white or purple sweet potatoes.
- Evaporated milk I like to use the small 5 oz. can so I dont have leftover but if you only have a larger can that will work but be sure to measure amount listed.
- Eggs this helps bind the pie filling together and make a custard type filling. They are crucial to the recipe.
- Cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger with the ratios here I recommend sticking with each separate spice rather than using a spice blend.
- Vanilla extract this adds another faint background flavor in the pie. Use real vanilla for best flavor.
Scroll down for full printable recipe.
Air Fryer Baked Sweet Potatoes
You can also easily use your air fryer to prepare your sweet potatoes! I love to cook them in my air fryer if I am cooking just a couple. While the cooking time is generally the same as cooking a larger batch in the oven, Ive noticed that the skin tends to be crispier and the flesh can even have a roasted flavor.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line air fryer rack with parchment paper or foil.
- Scrub the sweet potatoes until clean. Pat dry with paper towels and poke holes into the top of the potatoes with a fork or the tip of a sharp paring knife.
- Arrange the potatoes on the air fryer rack, making sure they do not touch. Bake the sweet potatoes until they are fragrant, the skin has puffed and shows dimples, and a fork easily pierces the center, about 30 to 40 minutes, depending on the size.
Read Also: 8 Inch Pyrex Pie Plate
Don’t Forget The Pie Crust
If you decide you want to make your own pie crust, then you’ll need to gather:
- 1 1/4 cups of all-purpose flour
- A pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup butter
- 3-4 tablespoons of water
The key to a perfectly buttery and flaky pie crust is to make sure that the butter is right out of the refrigerator and still cold and to use ice water. This keeps the butter from melting before the oven works on it and that gives a perfect pie crust the best texture!
Skinnytaste Enchilada Sweet Potato
447 People Used
Induction Cooktop Explained | Pros & Cons
Minecraft 1.16.5 – Simply Seasons mod
Cultural dress up lwhat Asian are you?|Tiktok…
Simple BBQ Chicken with an Instant Pot
Ramada Birmingham Airport – Birmingham -…
Cookie Cutter Sharks | Songs for Kids | Octonauts |…
You May Like: Pienation
Is Sweet Potato Pie Like Pumpkin Pie
Known as pumpkin pies Southern cousin, sweet potato pie may seem similar to its orange relative on the surface. Its made with similar ingredients:
- Condensed milk
Instead of pumpkin, sweet potatoes are added to the filling. Pumpkin sometimes has a bit nuttier flavor than sweet potatoes. Where the two pies mostly differ is in regards to their texture.
Pumpkin pie is creamy and dense. The texture of the best sweet potato pie is airy and light.
What Spices Belong In A Black Folks Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Here are three spices that belong in a delicious soul food sweet potato pie.
- Ground cinnamon is a versatile spice for savory and sweet dishes for an extra burst of flavor while adding more color.
Cinnamon is an excellent addition to everything from an apple pie, pumpkin bread, and even sweet potato pies! Cinnamon helps brighten up even the darkest desserts because it adds lightness to them while giving off its unique taste.
- Ground nutmeg is often found in pumpkin pies, but it goes exceptionally well with sweet potato pie. This spice gives the dish a wonderful flavor and provides some warmth to your palate.
Think about how good your grandmothers Thanksgiving meal tastes every year! Ground nutmeg has that same type of taste without being overwhelming or spicy at all. You need this for sure if you are planning on making this Thanksgiving specialty!
- Ground cloves are that secret ingredient that gives your finished recipes a beautiful aroma, a spicy kick, and the perfect amount of sweetness without going overboard with sugar.
Don’t Miss: Gordon Ramsay Key Lime Pie