Tips For Homemade Shepherds Pie:
- Use a potato rice or food mill versus just mashing the potatoes if youd like silky smooth, lump-free potatoes.
- If possible use red wine for a robust finish.
- Use lean beef and dab up excess fat so dish isnt overly greasy.
- Avoid cooking in a glass dish as it may shatter under the heat of the broiler. If you dont own a cast iron pan use another deep oven safe pan or a metal or ceramic baking dish.
Shortcut Shepherds Pie Recipe
Can you freeze Shepherds Pie? A Shepherds Pie is the perfect make ahead food. Once your pie is assembled you can chill and then freeze for up to one month. It can also be cooked from frozen. To bake from frozen, cook at 160C/fan 140C/gas 3 for 1 hr-1 hr 20 mins until piping hot in the centre. Flash under the grill to brown, if needed.)
Beef Shepherds Pie. Our classic shepherds pie is made with seasoned beef, carrots, and corn in a rich, savory gravy all topped with mashed potatoes. This meal is made with no artificial flavors and no artificial colors. See ingredients, nutrition, and other product information here. Smartlabel Info. Buy Now.
Bake and eat the shepherds pie within two to three months. After that time it will remain edible, but its flavor and quality will begin to diminish. Leftover Shepherds Pie Step 1 Prepare and bake the shepherds pie as you normally would. When youve finished serving the meal, set your casserole dish in a well-ventilated location to cool.
The Best Shepherds Pie Recipe
I made shepherds pie FIVE times this week to perfect it and Id have to say I dont know that it could get any better! This has honestly got to be the coziest meal-in-one out there. And while it may not be the fastest easiest dinner its worth every minute of prep and patience!
Hearty ground beef is browned and seasoned with aromatics including fresh veggies and herbs, then red wine and beef broth are added and its simmered and reduced to a light gravy. And then comes my favorite part its topped and finished with the most heavenly mashed potatoes!
Don’t Miss: Peach Cobbler With Frozen Pie Crust
How To Make Shepherds Pie
- Sauté some chopped onions in olive oil.
- Add ground beef or ground lamb.
- Add dried parsley, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cook the meat mixture until the meat is browned.
- Add minced garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook the garlic for a minute.
- Add flour and tomato paste.
- Add beef broth, frozen mixed peas and carrots, and frozen corn kernels.
- Simmer the meat gravy until it is thick.
- Boil some peeled and chopped potatoes until they are soft.
- Drain the potatoes
You May Like: Supreme Bean Pie Recipe
Easy Vegetarian Shepherds Pie
A shepherds pie is often a catch-all for leftovers, topped with mashed potatoes and baked in a casserole. This vegetarian version omits the ground lamb or beef and replaces it with an array of mushrooms, carrots, celery, pearl onions, green beans, and peas, all baked in a creamy sauce and topped with cheesy mashed potatoes.
Recommended Reading: Chocolate Key Lime Pie On A Stick
Suggestions And Substitutions For Shepherds Pie
A true shepherds pie is actually done with lamb, not beef . Cottage pie is the term traditionally applied to one made with beef.
Regardless of what you call it, you can make this with basically any type of ground meat you like, knowing that they range widely in fat content. Ground lamb, turkey, bison, venison, and beefor half and half of any of the aboveare all fair game.
Nothing beats fresh vegetables and cheese youve grated on the spot to make this recipe, but if youre short on time, here are a few shortcuts:
- Swap in frozen mixed vegetables for the carrots, celery, and peas. Use two and a half cups and add them to the dish when it instructs you to add the peas.
- Use pre-shredded sharp cheddar. Take a gander at the ingredients, since some brands use additives to keep the cheese from clumping. Less is more, if you ask me.
- Buy screw-top wine. Every little bit counts when it comes to saving time. Plus, fussing with a bottle opener isnt my favorite pastime. You dont need fancy wine for this anyway, just something dry and drinkable.
What Is A Good Side For Shepherds Pie
Because shepherds pie is a heavier dish that already includes meat, potatoes, and vegetables, I would recommend a lighter salad to go with it. Here are a few of my favorite sides: Winter Fruit Salad. Candied Pecan and Pear Salad. Candied Almond and Mandarin Salad. Pomegranate Orange Salad. Beet and Goat Cheese Salad.
Also Check: Damgoode Pies River Market
Does Costco Sell Shepherds Cakes
I bought one of Costcos premade shepherds pies yesterday for about twenty dollars. I thought it was a simple dinner and then the leftovers for lunch. While the mashed potatoes were well browned on top and the cake itself was beautiful, the inside was rough. The meat tasted strange and the mushrooms were slimy.
How To Make A Frozen Shack Pie
Always freeze the pie the day you bake it. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then cook according to the recipe. Alternatively, for frozen cooking, preheat the oven to 180C / 160C hot air / gas 4, cover with aluminum foil and cook for 1 hour 30 minutes. Turn on the oven to 220C / 200C hot air / gas 7, remove the cover and cook for another 20 minutes until boiling.
Recommended Reading: Shepherds Pie Campbells Soup
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Part of what makes this Shepherd’s Pie recipe easy is the fact that the ingredients are fully cooked before your layer them together in the baking dish, so youre just heating them up until hot and aromatic.
- tip 2 Sprinkle 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese onto mashed potatoes before baking for a cheesy topped Shepherd’s Pie.
- tip 3 A main-dish pie is a great way to use that extra pound of ground beef. Try a few varieties of frozen vegetables you have stashed in the freezer for a different twist on this Shepherd’s Pie recipe.
- tip 4 If you arent sure about the volume of your casserole dish, pour in measured amounts of water to be sure you wont overflow it with the pie filling.
- tip 5 Ground beef is the usual, budget-friendly go-to for weeknight meals, but stock up on other ground meats when theyre on sale. Ground turkey, chicken, or pork would be great in this easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe. Cook the ground meat with the onion until thoroughly cooked continue with recipe.
- tip 6 Refrigerated mashed potatoes are easy and nice to have on hand. Try any flavored refrigerated mashed potatoes to top this main-dish pie.
How To Make Deviled Eggs:
- Cut the hard boiled eggs in half, lengthwise.
- Pop out the yolks and put them in a mixing bowl.
- Mash the yolks with the back of a fork until no large clumps remain.
- Add the mayo, mustard, pickle juice, and pepper to the bowl. Mix it together.
- Transfer the yolk mixture to a plastic food storage bag.
- Squeeze and roll the bag around in your fingers until the yolk mixture is completely smooth.
- Cut one corner off of the bag to create a piping bag.
- Pipe the yolk mixture into the holes of the egg whites.
- Serve cold.
Read Also: Black Muslim Bean Pie
Expert Tips And Tricks For The Perfect Shepherds Pie Every Time
- Yes, you can use leftover mashed potatoes. If you have a bounty of mashed potatoes from last nights dinner, you can totally turn that into your topper for traditional shepherds pie. If you dont have the time for proper mashed potatoes, you can always make shepherds pie with instant potatoes.
- You can also use sweet potatoes if youd prefer. This gives it a sweet and savory contrast.
- Dry seasonings are best in homemade Shepherds pie. Because you need to cook them into the meat filling, you should turn to your spice rack for your herbs.
- You can make it meatless. Just substitute the stock for a veggie one and choose mushrooms rather than meat.
How Long Does It Take To Cook A Frozen Shepherds Pie
A shepherds pie is the perfect meal to cook at home. Once the cake is assembled, you can put it in the refrigerator and then you can freeze it for up to a month. It can also be cooked frozen. To bake from the frozen state, cook at 160 ° C / 140 ° C fan / gas oven 3 for 1 hour 1 hour 20 minutes until the center boils.
You May Like: Campbell’s Pot Pie Recipe
Say Hi To Coco Morante
One last treat for all you readers out there: I thought it would be fun for you to get to know Coco a little more. Here’s a quick Q& A with the author herself!
1. How many Instant Pots do you own?
Right now, four. I’ve also given some to friends and family as I’ve upgraded or received new units for review. Currently I have two 6-quart models , as well as 3-quart and 8-quart pots.
2. Whats one recipe from this book that you really want people to try and fall in love with?
Cincinnati Chili . I adapted the recipe from a stovetop version shared with me by my friend Diana Pray. It’s full of spices, including a healthy dose of cinnamon — the Midwestern-meets-Greek flavor is so unique and delicious. You have to try it !
3. What three recipes from this book are best if you just got your first Instant Pot?
Risotto , because it’s so easy you won’t believe it. Split Pea Soup , because it tastes like my grandma’s did — I’m transported back to her kitchen when I eat a bowl. And Succotash — most all the ingredients come from the pantry or freezer, so you can make a hearty, nutritious vegetable side dish any time. Those are all really straightforward recipes that don’t require you to buy additional accessories, so you can make them right when you take your Instant Pot out of the box.
4. Latest food obsession?
5. Three ingredients that are always in your pantry?
Nutritional yeast, almond flour, and San Marzano-style canned tomatoes.
7. What are you working on now?
More About This Recipe
- Whether you call it shepherds pie or cottage pie, it will take just one taste to call this recipe delicious. While it seems like a super-trendy new dish, shepherd’s pie has long been a go-to comfort food in the British Isles. Sub out the ground beef for ground chicken or turkey. Looking for more creative recipes for mashed potatoes? Cooking with potatoes is not only fun and easy, but the blank canvas for the tender spuds allows you maximum creativity and inspiration. Looking for more creative recipes for mashed potatoes? Check out all of our delicious side dishes, dinners and more.
Recommended Reading: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
How To Make Shepherd’s Pie
Preheat oven to 400ºF while you brown the meat and sauté the onion together in a large fry pan. There should be enough fat from the meat to sauté the onion, but if the meat is low in fat, add a tablespoon of vegetable oil.
While the meat and onion are cooking, prepare the brown gravy as directed on the package.
When the meat and onions are cooked, add the vegetables, brown gravy, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, cayenne pepper, and salt and pepper. Mix well.
Place the meat mixture in the bottom of a baking dish .
Mix ½ cup cheddar cheese with potatoes, and season with garlic salt and pepper to taste.
Place large spoonsful of mashed potatoes on top of the meat mixture and spread gently to create a uniform layer.
Sprinkle the remaining ½ cup cheddar cheese on top of the potatoes.
Bake at 400° F for 25 minutes.
Can I Reheat Shepherds Pie In The Oven
Option 1: Prepare the recipe as written including the baking time. Let the shepherds pie cool completely and then refrigerate. Reheat the whole thing in the oven, or microwave individual servings. Refrigerate the shepherds pie until youre ready to serve, then preheat the oven and bake for 35 minutes.
Also Check: Américan Pie Band Camp Trailer
More Vegetarian Casseroles To Try
Add the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and the pepper. Stir in 2 cups of the cheese, scallions, and parsley. Taste and add more salt and pepper, if you like.
Spoon the potatoes over the vegetables in the baking dish. Use a fork to make swirls in the potatoes to create peaks and valleys. Sprinkle the top with the remaining 1/3 cup grated cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until the filling bubbles and the potatoes are golden. Let rest for 10 minutes and serve.
Frozen Shepherd’s Pie Instructions
This recipe is freezer-friendly. I like to double the recipe and make one pie for dinner and one frozen Shepherd’s Pie in a freezer- and oven-safe dish for later. Prepare as directed but do not bake wrap the dish with heavy-duty foil and label:
Shepherd’s Pie Date____________________
Thaw. Bake at 400° F for 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Recommended Reading: Mermaid Cupcakes Denver
Can I Cook A Shepherds Pie From Frozen
4.6/5cookshepherds pie from frozencookshepherds pie from frozendopiethis is here
Always freeze the pie on the day that you make it. Defrost in the fridge overnight, then cook as per the recipe. Alternatively, to cook from frozen, heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4, cover with foil and cook for 1½ hrs. Increase oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7, uncover and cook for 20 mins more, until golden and bubbling.
can you cook a cooked pie from frozen? Baking un-baked frozen pies:Defrost fully in the refrigerator overnight. Pre-heat oven to 350. For 9-inch pies, bake at 350 approximately 1 hour. For 6-inch pies, bake approximately 30 minutes.
Just so, how do you reheat frozen shepherds pie in the oven?
Freezer Instructions: After baking, let pan cool to room temperature, then cover tightly with foil and place in the freezer for up to 2 months. When ready to eat, reheat the shepherds pie for 1 hour in a 350ºF oven.
Can you microwave shepherds pie?
Yes, you can reheat shepherds pie in the microwave. The only downside of reheating in a microwave is that the shepherds pie might end up soggy and lose its crispy texture and flavor due to uneven heating. Just be sure to heat and stir with a spoon or fork several times.