How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Crust
To make a chicken pot pie crust from scratch, youll whisk together flour, and salt, cut in cold butter and shortening using either a pastry blender or your food processor, and then drizzle in ice-cold water. Mix until a dough has formed, divide into two discs , and transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
How To Save More
Here are some of the strategies you can use to make this recipe more economical:
- Stock up on ingredients when they are on sale. For instance, when I see a great price on veggies or chicken stock, Ill buy lots of them and plan my meals around them. You can also buy certain items in bulk, to save even more money!
- Use a whole chicken! Cooking a whole chicken can be more economical than buying chicken pieces. Plus, you can use the carcass to make homemade stock.
- Use up leftovers. It doesnt matter what kind of veggies you throw in. They add great flavor and nothing goes to waste. Feel free to adapt this basic pie recipes to use whatever meats or veggies you have on hand.
- Use your freezer! You can freeze most of these ingredients, like the chicken, fresh herbs , gravy, and the pie crust to have on hand so you can whip this up whenever you need to.
How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie:
2. Sauté veggies: In another saucepan, cook the onions and celery in butter. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, bouillon paste, and celery seed. Add water water and milk. simmer the mixture until it thickens. Add chopped chicken and frozen vegetables to the hot mixture.
3. Add to pie crust: Pour the mixture into your prepared pie crust and cover with the top crust. Prick a few holes in the crust
4. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes.
Don’t Miss: Damgoode Pies Little Rock Ar
Can I Make Pie Ahead Of Time
The filling can be made a day ahead of time and stored in the fridge. Keep it covered, then add it to the pie crust and bake as directed when ready. If you are making pie dough from scratch, you can make it four days ahead of time. You can store pie crust in the freezer for even longer. Just be sure to keep it tightly wrapped. You can see my Pie Crust Recipe post for more information!
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Crust
Making the filling is simple and easy. But the chicken pot pie crust is waaay easier than you think it is.
You can either buy a frozen pastry crust at your local grocery store or do it from scratch using this 5-ingredient homemade pie crust. Both work fine, actually.
If you want to go the homemade route, you can make it ahead of time and put it in the freezer until ready to assemble your chicken pot pie.
You May Like: Midnight Moon Apple Pie Moonshine Drink Recipes
More Southern Chicken Recipes
- Southern Fried Chicken When someone says Southern Comfort Food, the first thing that comes to mind is fried chicken. Now, not every recipe is worthy of being called comfort food, but this spicy and mouthwatering recipe is.
- Chicken ala King marries different veggies, mushrooms, and chopped chicken all in a thick, flavorful, and creamy sauce.
- Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup this rich and creamy recipe uses my secret weapon for a flavorful broth, evaporated milk. Why water your soup down with plain milk? Add some inventive spices and breathe in the wonderful aroma deeply.
- Nashville Hot Chicken The crispy, crunchy coating and flavor-packed hot sauce make this dish perfect for game day or any day.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Pie Crust : Watch +12 Recipe Videos
How to prepare delicious easy chicken pot pie recipe with pie crust, Lay one dough round on across the bottom of the pie dish, and allow the excess to lay over the sides of the dish. Remove 1 crust from pouch Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender.
Impossible Coconut Custard Pie Recipe | KeepRecipes: Your from keeprecipes.com
Cut slits in several places in top crust. Preheat oven to 350 degrees f . Lay one dough round on across the bottom of the pie dish, and allow the excess to lay over the sides of the dish. Bake at 350 degrees f for 30 minutes or until crust is Place frozen vegetables over chicken. Bake 30 to 35 min or until crust is golden brown. Cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender. Soften pie crust as directed on package.
Recommended Reading: Campbells Soup Chicken Pot Pie
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Pie Crust
How to cook yummy easy chicken pot pie recipe with pie crust, Home recipes ingredients meat & poultry chicken this is the best chicken potpie recipe! Try our best chicken pot pie recipesplus pot pie variationsfor dinner tonight. Chicken pot pie soup is a hearty and comforting soup that has all the creamy goodness of chicken pot pie without all the work.
Nana’s Crescent Roll Chicken Pot Pie | FaveSouthernRecipes.com from irepo.primecp.com
The mouthwatering dish is easy to prepare and features some of our favorite comfort foods: The calorie content is also lower than fried food, which helps you manage your weight and improves your health. Try our best chicken pot pie recipesplus pot pie variationsfor dinner tonight. Grilling meat reduces the fat because it drips out while you cook. This homemade chicken pot pie recipe is anything but tediousthe whole thing can be made in one large saucepan. Grilled chicken is easy, quick and healthy food. Pour into a prepared pie shell, cover wit. Comfort food tuscan style, this chicken pot pie is made with onions, kale, and cannellini beans.
Make Ahead And Freezing Instructions:
To make ahead: The filling for chicken pot pie can be made 1 day in advance cover and chill in the refrigerator. Fill your crust and bake the next day, as directed.
To freeze: The unbaked OR baked pot pie freezes well for up to 2-3 months. Allow it to thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake as directed, or bake to warm through.
Leftover Chicken Pot Pie will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, stored in an airtight container.
You can also FOLLOW ME on , , and for more great recipes!
Recommended Reading: Midnight Moon Apple Pie Moonshine Drink Recipes
Country Living Editors Select Each Product Featured
Grilling meat reduces the fat because it drips out while you cook. Comfort food tuscan style, this chicken pot pie is made with onions, kale, and cannellini beans. Chicken pot pie soup is a hearty and comforting soup that has all the creamy goodness of chicken pot pie without all the work. If you buy from a link, we may earn a commission. Preheat oven to 350 degrees f (. Days like those call for the. The mouthwatering dish is easy to prepare and features some of our favorite comfort foods: Try our best chicken pot pie recipesplus pot pie variationsfor dinner tonight. Home recipes ingredients meat & poultry chicken this is the best chicken potpie recipe! Country living editors select each product featured. Get chicken pot pie recipe from food network deselect all 1 cup yellow cornmeal 1/3 cup flour 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1 tablespoon sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 3/4 cup buttermilk 1 egg 1/. The calorie content is also lower than fried food, which helps you manage your weight and improves your health. Pour into a prepared pie shell, cover wit. Pot pie makes a cozy, comforting meal during cold winter months. The spruce / leah maroney chicken pot pie soup is warm, comforting, and perfect for chilly nights.
Easy healthy chicken pot pie with biscuit top – Family from www.familyfoodonthetable.com
Make Ahead + Storage Tips
- To Make Ahead. The filling can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator for 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months . Add it to the crust just before baking.
- To Store. Cover and store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 4 days. The crust may be a little less crisp after it has been in the refrigerator, but it will still taste delicious.
- To Reheat. Reheat leftover chicken pot pie in a pie dish in the oven at 350 degrees F until warmed through. You can also rewarm this recipe in the microwave.
- To Freeze. Place leftovers in an airtight freezer-safe storage container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Let thaw overnight in the refrigerator before reheating.
You May Like: Damngood Pies
Chicken Pot Pie With Frozen Pie Crust : Chicken Pot Pie
Chicken pot pie, but topped with potatoes?! Individual chicken pot pies heat oven to 375°f. Get chicken pot pie recipe from food network deselect all 1 cup yellow cornmeal 1/3 cup flour 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 1 tablespoon sugar 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 3/4 cup buttermilk 1 egg 1/. Chicken pot pie preheat oven to 400°f. Plus it’s much lower in sodi.
How Long To Bake Chicken Pot Pie
All of the ingredients inside the pot pie are already cooked, so the only thing we are concerned with at this point is the pie crust.
The crust should be fully baked with 45-50 minutes. If the top crust should start to look golden brown before the time is up, simply cover the edges with either a pie shield or with aluminum foil and continue cooking for the allotted amount of time.
There is nothing like a made-from-scratch chicken pot pie. Especially one enveloped in a buttery, flaky, homemade pie crust, decked out with perfectly cooked chicken and vegetables, all smothered in a to-die-for chicken gravy. Please, enjoy!
Also Check: Campbell’s Skillet Chicken Pot Pie
What You Need To Make This Recipe
Pie crust while you can use store-bought pie crust, I love using my homemade pie crust. Its so buttery and flakey! Either way, make sure to thaw the crusts before using them so they can roll out easily.
Chicken if you do not have a leftover roast chicken, you can buy a rotisserie chicken to shred.
Chicken broth use low sodium chicken broth so that your pot pie does not come out too salty. If you only have regular chicken broth, you should decrease the salt added to the filling.
Flour dont skip the flour! The flour will help thicken your filling and provide a rich, hearty flavor. You can use whatever flour you have on hand.
Homemade Easy Chicken Pot Pie
I actually used to get it at KFC in my younger years then decided I needed to up my game and make it myself. Its much nicer to know to know the quality of ingredients youre using.
You can easily make shredded chicken in the instant pot, or use up a rotisserie chicken for this. Its also a great way to use up turkey leftovers. Or, if you want to make it vegetarian, just double the vegetables and make a veggie pot pie!
I actually made this chicken pot pie twice in the last week. The first time, I only had one pie crust so there was no bottom. The second time, I used a top and a bottom crust.
Without a bottom crust, the pie doesnt stay together as nicely, but you get more gravy. You also get to save on some calories/carbs, so know that bottomless is an option if you want it.
Also Check: Wings And Pies New London
Recommended Reading: Wings And Pies New London
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
Step 1:In a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Heat the oil and butter. Add the onions, carrots, and celery. Stir occasion and cook until softened.
Step 2: Sprinkle the flour over the cooked vegetables and stir to combine. Cook about 1 minute, stirring continuously.
Step 3: Gradually add the chicken broth and heavy cream. Stir frequently until mixture begins to thicken. Remove from the heat and add the frozen vegetables. Season with black pepper. Add the chopped rosemary.
On a lightly floured work surface, roll out the pie crust into a circle. Place in the bottom of a greased cast iron skillet or into a glass pie plate. Spoon the pot pie ingredients into the prepared pie shell.
Dont feel like making homemade pie crust? No worries! Use store-bought pie crust. Or, make this chicken pot pie recipe with biscuits. Just place refrigerated biscuits on top of the filling and bake until they are golden brown. Easy as pie!
Have leftover turkey or rotisserie chicken? You can use that in this chicken pot pie recipe!
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie From Scratch
Prepare the Veggies
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/204.
- Saute veggies Heat butter or oil in a large pot over medium heat. Then add onions, celery, thyme, garlic, and carrots. Cook and stir for about about 6-7 minutes, until tender.
Prepare the Filling
- Make the roux Stir in flour until flour has been fully incorporated, stirring for about a minute. Gradually stir in half and half and broth.
- Make the gravy Bring to a boil, stirring constantly cook and stir for about 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbles.
Add the chicken Gradually add in chicken, peas, parsley, Creole seasoning remove from heat. Adjust salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste.
- Prepare the pie crust Unroll pie crusts. Cover the bottom of the casserole and reserve the rest for the top.
- Add the filling Place chicken mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish or desired baking dish. Cover with remaining pastry. Trim, seal, and flute edges.
- Egg wash Brush with egg wash mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.
- Mini Homemade Chicken Pot Pies in Ramekins If you want to make mini pot pies, heres the photo.
You May Like: Campbells Soup Chicken Pot Pie
Let The Filling Cool Down
Its essential to cool down the hot chicken mixture to room temperature or below. You dont want it to melt the butter in the pie crusts completely. Otherwise, it wont hold its shape. I recommend spreading the filling out on a sheet pan, then stirring occasionally to drop the temperature down faster. You can also place it in the refrigerator for quicker cooling. At this point, you can store it in a container for up to 2 days.