Get The Latest Recipes Right In Your Inbox:
Everyones favorite pot pie in soup form! Simple to make and so so cozy and comforting! Serve with warm biscuits for a complete meal!
Guys, its really happening.
We move to Chicago in just 3 days! Ive packed 17 boxes dedicated just for kitchen needs, which means I should be ready to make these pot pie soups in no time.
I mean, what else will Butters and I be doing in 0 degree weather? You know Butters is just too dainty to be walking the streets laced with ice and snow.
So you can count on us being on the couch, wrapped in all the electric blankets we can find, inhaling these biscuits one by one as we sop up all the creamy goodness of this soup.
It has all the best flavors of a chicken pot pie but in soup form, which I personally think is even better than pie form. Plus, the flaky mile high biscuits are everything here.
Now I should mention that each soup should be served with 1 biscuit per serving, but I will totally turn a blind eye if you plan to have 3-4 biscuits with your soup
Since thats what I just did last night.
Can I Use Leftover Chicken Or Turkey
Simply skip the sautéing of the chicken and go right to the vegetables. Add your leftover cooked chicken or turkey in
This is perfect if you have leftovers from this Roast Chicken and Vegetables or you made a big batch of this Crockpot Shredded Chicken or Instant Pot Shredded Chicken that you have stashed in the fridge.
Biscuits Make Everything Better
While nothing can beat a homemade biscuit, sometimes you just need to cut some corners for your time . This meal is low maintenance and is delicious with biscuits straight from a can in the freezer aisle. Pop them in the oven before you start on the soup, and they will be ready just in time to throw them in the bowl. If you time, check out my recipe for buttermilk biscuits, which come together in under 30 minutes!
Recommended Reading: Campbells Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
How To Keep A Pot Pie Crust From Getting Soggy:
I get this question ALL of the time. Why is the bottom of my pie crust soggy? How can I fix this?? Follow a few of the tips below to help prevent your crust from being soft and mushy in the center:
You May Like: Cream Of Chicken Soup Recipes With Rice
What Else Can I Use To Top This Chicken Pot Pie Soup
You have a few options for topping this Chicken Pot Pie Soup, or you can enjoy it as is!
My recipe is pictured with freshly baked biscuits, and I cheated by purchasing a roll of refrigerated biscuit dough from the grocery store. Life is busy, and sometimes we need a break!
Here are a few more options:
- Homemade biscuits if you have the time
- Pie pastry rolled out into rounds and baked flat on a baking sheet
- Puff pastry rounds: cut refrigerated puff pastry into rounds or other shapes, and bake them off on a baking sheet until golden.
Don’t Miss: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit Update
Can I Make The Soup Vegan
To make vegan chicken pot pie soup, omit the chicken, omit the butter, replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth, replace the half and half with plain, unsweetened non-dairy milk of your choice whisked with 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch. You can add mushrooms, tofu or additional veggies in place of the chicken.
How Do You Thicken Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This chicken pot pie soup should already be luxuriously thick and creamy due to the flour, half and half and cornstarch, but if you would still like a thicker soup, you can use any of these methods:
- Cornstarch: This is my preferred method and super easy. Remove about ¼ cup soup and whisk in 1 -2 tablespoon cornstarch with a fork until smooth then whisk it back into the soup. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Repeat if needed.
- Flour: Flour is half as potent as cornstarch so you will need twice as much. Remove about ½ cup soup, whisk in 2-4 tablespoons flour with a fork until smooth then whisk it back into the soup. Simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Repeat if needed.
- Mash potatoes: Microwave a few potatoes, mash them and add them to the soup.
- Add creamed corn: Add one can of creamed corn to add corn flavor and thicken the soup.
- Puree soup: Remove 1-2 cups of the soup and puree it in your blender or food processor. It will add body to the soup while preserving the flavor.
- Puree beans: Add cannellini beans to a blender along with some of the soup. Puree until smooth to create a paste. Stir back into the soup and warm through.
Recommended Reading: The Key Lime Pie Company
Your Favourite Pot Pie In Soup Form This Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe Is A Hearty And Healthy One
Chicken pot pie is one of those good, old fashioned, stick to your ribs type of dishes that everyone loves. Whether its a cold winter night or a family dinner, its a traditional recipe that many of us grew up eating around the dinner table and still enjoy today. So, why not eat it more often? This chicken pot pie soup is a fun twist on a classic pot pie with all of the flavour and half of the effort.
If youre like me, and you love a good chicken pot pie, youre going to love this recipe! Not only is it packed full of flavour, but its made with kitchen and pantry staple ingredients that are inexpensive and easy to find, and its a great way to use up leftover chicken. Whether youre looking for a simple meal prep idea or easy weeknight dinner, this chicken pot pie soup is a little number that everyone will love. Plus, its high in protein and full of fibre for a healthy and hearty lunch or dinner.
What Should I Top Chicken Pot Pie Soup With
Chicken pot pie soup would just be fabulous creamy chicken soup if it wasnt for the topping! To elevate the soup to chicken pot pie soup, serve it with biscuits, oyster crackers or pie crust crackers. Pie crust crackers are exactly what the sound like, crackers made from pie crust! They definitely are the way to go for the complete pot pie experience, but the other options are tasty too because sometimes all you want to do is pop a can of biscuits and bake!
- Pie crust crackers: To make these easy crackers, you can you use this fabulous homemade pie crust recipeor just pick up some store bought pie crust. To make, roll the crust out onto parchment paper or non slip silicone mat. Lightly brush the pie crust with some melted butter and lightly sprinkle with some salt. Cut into thick strips. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the strips are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature, then break into pieces. Now you have pie crust crackers!
- Homemade biscuits: Because nothing is better than homemade! Use your favorite recipe or try my homemade cheddar chive biscuits I made for my traditional pot pie filling.
- Store-bought biscuits: So easy! I used Pillsbury Grands in these photos and they were delish.
- Oyster crackers: Salty, crunchy crackers pack the perfect bite size bursts of flavor and texture in every spoonful.
Don’t Miss: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
How To Make Healthy Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Note: full ingredients list & measurements provided in the Recipe Card, below.
Step One: First, heat a large heavy-bottomed pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the diced chicken to the pot. Cook for four to six minutes until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink. Theres no need to brown the chicken or sear it, you just want to ensure that is fully cooked.
Step Two:Next, its time to cook the veggies and aromatics. Add the diced onion, diced celery, minced garlic, diced mushrooms, salt, pepper, and herbs to the pot. Cook for two to three minutes until the onions begin to become translucent.
Step Three: Now, add the potatoes to the pot and pour in the chicken broth. Let everything simmer for fifteen to twenty minutes until the potatoes are fork tender.
Step Four: Once the potatoes are tender, add the chicken back to the pot, and pour in the coconut milk. Give everything a good stir until well combined. Next, stir in the arrowroot starch and cook for just a few more minutes and allow the soup to thicken.
Step Five: If you want the soup to be thicker, you can add in a bit more arrowroot starch. Lastly, give the soup a taste and add more salt or pepper if needed. Enjoy!
Tips For Making Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- To keep it easy, use shredded rotisserie chicken. You can also use leftover turkey and make turkey pot pie soup. This is a great recipe for using up leftover Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey.
- We use milk instead of heavy cream to keep the soup a little lighter. Dont worry, it is still really, really creamy!
- The soup is loaded with carrots, celery, potatoes, peas, and corn. Lots of kid friendly vegetables:) If you want to throw in mushrooms or green beans, go for it. They would be good too!
- If you dont have fresh thyme, you can use dried thyme, but only use ½ teaspoon because dried herbs are stronger than fresh herbs.
- We like to serve the soup with pie crust crackers. They are easy to make, see instructions below. You can also serve the soup with crackers or homemade biscuits.
Fill a bowl with chicken pot pie soup and get cozy! This easy soup is guaranteed to be a family dinner favorite! Enjoy!
If you like this chicken pot pie soup recipe, you might also like:
You May Like: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie On A Stick Key West
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Ingredients
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter works fine.
- Yellow onion: White onion may be substituted.
- Garlic: If needed bottled garlic will work too.
- Celery: I like to chop these up somewhat thin. Every now and then you get a batch that seems to take forever to cook to a tender bite.
- Carrots: When cutting larger carrots I like to quarter through the length and then dice.
- Low-sodium chicken broth:Homemade is a great option here if you have some in the freezer.
- Russet potatoes: If what youve got are red or yellow potatoes those can be used as well.
- Herbs: Here I like the blend of thyme, rosemary, bay leaves and parsley. Fresh or dried work great.
- Salt and pepper: Youll likely find soup needs a fair amount of salt or it can taste a little flat.
- Flour: This is used to thicken the soup. If you need to replace with something else the soup can be thickened with a cornstarch slurry .
- Milk and heavy cream: If you want the soup a little lighter you could try replacing the cream with more milk, it just wont be quite as rich.
- Peas: I like the sweeter flavor of petite peas best but any will do, even canned if needed .
- Corn: Again petite corn is best. Canned corn will work if thats what you have .
- Cooked chicken: Leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken or even shredded turkey works great.
Can I Use Vegetable Broth Instead
I do not recommend vegetable broth because it does not have the chicken flavor which is crucial in this chicken pot pie soup recipe. That doesnt mean you cant use vegetable broth, but it does mean the soup will not taste rich and flavorful. If you do use chicken broth, then you may want to add additional chicken bouillon, but taste as you go because you dont want to make your soup too salty!
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Get Soup Delivered
Recommended Reading: Kermits Key Lime Pie On A Stick
What Chicken Is Best
I highly recommend chicken thighs for this chicken pot pie soup recipe. I didnt always use chicken thighs for my soup recipes, but once I started, there was NO going back. Chicken thighs are dark meat which means they are inherently juicier, richer tasting and produce far more tender chicken than chicken breasts. They are also harder to overcook and stay tender for days with a more palate pleasing texture, even when reheated for leftovers.
In addition, chicken thighs are browned first which adds an important layer of flavor to the overall soup as all those golden, flavorful bits become part of the broth.
Dont Miss: How To Make Onion Dip With Soup Mix
Free: 5 Secrets To Fast Healthy Dinners
Youre going to love this chicken pot pie soup recipe in the Crock Pot! Its thick, creamy comfort food in a bowl, and has all of the traditional flavors of chicken pot pie, but it wont weigh you down. Try this slow cooker pot pie soup next time you need an easy and cozy meal.
Recreating classic comfort foods in a healthier ways is sort of a game for me. Is it possible? Will it be just as satisfying? Is it good enough to trick my friends and family?
These are the questions that I consider when creating these classics with a healthy twist like cauliflower baked ziti, keto shepherds pie, and lasagna stuffed peppers. I think I found a winner this time!
Don’t Miss: The Key Lime Pie Company
Easy Steps To Make Chicken Pot Pie
More About This Recipe
- We love this chicken pot pie soup not only for its classic comfort food taste, but also for its versatility. Have leftover cooked turkey? You can use that in this soup instead of chicken. No biscuits on hand? Try cutting small 1-inch rounds from Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts and serving them baked on top of the soup. You can even mix up the veggies in this recipe to match your familys tastebroccoli, corn, carrots, green beans and onion are all good choices for this hearty soup.Feeling inspired? Most chicken soups are easily customizable like this one, and we have the recipes to get you started, along with some genius ideas for what to serve on the side.
Don’t Miss: Bean Pie My Brother