How To Make The Meat Filling
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat then add in the onions, carrots, garlic, rosemary, and thyme.
Cook this mixture for 2-3 minutes stirring regularly.
Now, add the meat and stir to combine. Cook the meat and vegetable mixture for another 5-7 minutes stirring regularly to break up the meat. Cook until there is no pink left in the meat.
To the skillet and meat mixture, add the Worcestershire sauce, green peas, corn, and tomato paste then stir to combine.
Season with salt and pepper.
Sprinkle the flour into the meat mixture and stir until it has dissolved.
Pour in the chicken broth and stir to combine, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 4-5 minutes or until thickened.
Set the meat mixture aside and preheat the oven to 400°F.
How To Make A Shepherd’s Pie
Pour the meat mixture into a 9″x9″ baking pan or deep-dish pie plate.
Spread the potato mixture over the top in an even layer.
Place the pie into the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until bubbling and the potatoes are nicely browned on top.
Sprinkle with parsley before serving.
Don’t miss more of my favorite comfort food meals. This simple old fashioned goulash recipe is one you’ll fall in love with making. Of course, the kids will love my southern-style baked mac and cheese. For the meat and potatoes guys, these skillet pork chops with pan gravy are a perfect choice.
For dessert, you might want to whip up these cinnamon rolls with cream cheese glaze or a dish of this homemade rice pudding recipe.
When making this meal to serve to guests, go the extra mile and use a piping bag to add the mashed potatoes on top. A large drop flower or open star tip work great for this addition to the dish. I prefer using Wilton piping tips but you can use any brand that you have on hand.
Ingredients Needed To Make Shepherds Pie:
- Lean ground beef
- Worcestershire sauce
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder
Think about it. Beef, veggies, and mashed potatoes. Topped with cheese. Sink your fork into that!
Don’t get me wrong. I love creative recipes. I love getting crazy in my kitchen with bold flavors and spices. But sometimes the family wants what the family wants.
And the family wants this simple and easy Shepherds Pie.
If you like this recipe, you need to try these:
Irish Stout Chocolate Cake
We started ours with lean ground beef. A traditional shepards pie is made with lamb, but that is not readily available where we live. Beef sure is!
You really can’t get this recipe wrong. Ground lamb, ground beef, even ground pork or turkey would be fantastic in this rustic casserole recipe.
This recipe is easily prepared in a baking dish. You can double this recipe for a crowd.
On top of our ground beef and easy gravy recipe, we spread a layer of frozen peas and carrots. You can use any veggie mix you would like. This recipe is great with a cauliflower, broccoli and carrot mix. Or the standard corn, beans, peas and carrots.
My crew loves the peas and carrots.
It seems like everyone has their favorite part of a Shepherds Pie. Mine? The mashed potatoes. Duh! Buttery and creamy mashed potatoes top this yummy shepherds pie recipe off.
Read Also: Pillsbury Easy Chicken Pot Pie
Tips For Freezing This Recipe To Cook Later
This is for those busy moms that like freezer meals. There is no better easy freezer meal than a shepherd’s pie! It’s so fast and easy to whip up, you can make several at a time, wrap, and freeze them for later!
I prefer two methods for making this as a freezer meal.
What Happens If Mrs Budd’s Beef Shepherd’s Pie Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Don’t Replace: For items you’d rather not replace, choose “Don’t replace” to get a refund if the item is out of stock.
Also Check: Dairy Free Key Lime Pie
Variations And Similar Dishes
Sometimes there is a bottom layer of potato as well as a top.
Other potato-topped pies include:
- Potato pie is a ground red meat pie topped with mashed potato the difference is that the potato pie does not include any other vegetables.
- The modern Cumberland pie is a version with either beef or lamb and a layer of breadcrumbs and cheese on top. In medieval times, and modern-day Cumbria, the pastry crust had a filling of meat with fruits and spices.
- In Canada, pâté chinois or shepherd’s pie is made in a casserole dish with ground beef on the bottom layer, canned sweetcorn in the middle, and mashed potato on top.
- Shepherdess pie or shepherdless pie is a vegetarian version made without meat, or a vegan version made without meat and dairy.
- In the Netherlands, a very similar dish called philosopher’s stew often adds ingredients like beans, apples, prunes, or apple sauce.
- In Brazil, the name escondidinho ‘hidden’ describes the way sun-dried meat is hidden under a layer of manioc purée. The dish often includes cheese and chicken cod is sometimes used instead of beef.
Shepherd’s Pie Recipe For Dogs
Shepherd’s Pie is a popular dish in America, made from ground beef and other tasty ingredients. Although typically for humans, with a few tweaks this dish makes a great meal for dogs as well! Check out this Shepherd’s Pie recipe, originally featured in the Canine Chef’s Cookbook.
Shepherd’s pie is a savory pie traditionally made from leftovers. The meat and veggies are moistened with gravy, transferred to a pie plate, then topped with mashed potatoes. This is a super quick and easy dish to make, and since it’s made from leftovers you can use any dog-safe ingredients that you want! Here are our recommendations:
Shepherd’s Pie for Dogs Prep Time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped or pureed
- 1/2 cup sweet peas, chopped or pureed
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
- 1 garlic clove, minced or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 – 1/3 cups cooked mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup cheese, shredded or crumbled
You May Like: Peanut Butter Creme Pies Little Debbie
Can I Use Instant Potatoes Instead Of Fresh Mashed
The purist in me says, “please, no!”. That said, you can definitely use instant mashed potatoes in a pinch. I don’t personally like the flavor, even when “doctored up” as my husband would say. Instant potatoes are a hard no from me, but that doesn’t mean they are for others.
Freshly made mashed potatoes are so easy to whip up that I don’t see the need for a substitute, but again, do what works best for you and your family.
What’s The Difference Between A Shepherd’s Pie And Cottage Pie
A true shepherd’s pie is made with lamb while a cottage pie is made with beef. In the US, I notice that it is often called a shepherd’s pie when it really is just a cottage pie.
Since the type of meat used is the only real difference in this dish, I find most have a version using beef that they call shepherd’s pie even if it technically isn’t. Our family often grabs beef for this since lamb isn’t as readily available in our grocery stores. That said, I much prefer the truly authentic version using lamb.
If you are watching your red meat intake, you can use ground turkey, ground chicken, or even ground pork in place of lamb or beef. While that will keep it from being truly authentic, the flavors can still be fantastic.
Don’t Miss: Blueberry Pie Candle Bath And Body Works
The Best Authentic Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
One of the most iconic comfort food meals you’ll ever enjoy is this authentic shepherd’s pie recipe. A common casserole that originated in the UK, a shepherd’s pie is that all-in-one meal that includes richly seasoned beef, vegetables, and a lovely light mashed potato topping. Some have cheese, others include diced potatoes, and still, some have a variety of meats, but this is the one and only classic that my family begs me to make.
How To Make Shepherds Pie:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8×12 baking dish with non stick spray.
- In a skillet on medium high, cook ground beef, diced onion, and half the salt and pepper until the beef is browned. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and flour. Cook and stir for 3 minutes until the flour is distributed and browned.
- Slowly stir in the water or beef broth. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until thick, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- While beef is cooking, place peeled and cubed potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Heat to high and boil until potatoes are tender and easily pierced with a fork. Drain COMPLETELY. Return potatoes to the pot. Add butter and remaining salt and pepper. Mash with a large fork or potato masher to desired consistency.
- Add milk and continue to mash until potatoes are smooth. Adjust amount of milk as needed.
- Spread the beef and gravy mixture into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Top evenly with the bag of peas and carrots. Then spread the mashed potatoes evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and french fried onions.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes until heated through and the cheese is melted and golden.
- Rest for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese adds another layer of OMG flavor to this classic dinner recipe. My kids insist on the french fried onions.
So tell us, when are you going to try our Family Favorite Shepherds Pie recipe?
Recommended Reading: Cast Iron Hobo Pie Maker
What To Serve With Shepherd’s Pie
Since this meal has vegetables, protein, and starch all in one spoon, you don’t have to serve anything alongside the meal. Much like a pot pie, this meat pie is one that really doesn’t need additional sides.
However, if you are like our family and like to load up on vegetables on the side, then definitely serve up more! Anything from a simple side of green beans to a side salad will work. Since this is a rather heavy and richer meal, you’ll probably want to avoid fried foods or heavy sides. Instead, consider the fresh greens or green veggies to go with this.
One of my favorites is this recipe for roasted garlic parmesan asparagus spears. They are super easy to cook while your pie is cooking, and they pair really well with this rich dish.
Shepherd’s Pie + Chicken Pot Pie Combo
This is a combo pack of Friend of a Farmers legendary chicken pot pie and shepherds pie!
Friend of a Farmer was founded near New York Citys Gramercy Park in 1986, back when the farm to table concept was essentially unheard-of. All these years later, it remains family-owned and operated, and theyre still sourcing fresh, seasonal ingredients from local farms and purveyors and turning them into supremely comforting dishes like chicken pot pie, shepherds pie, burgers, roast chicken, and jaw-droppingly delicious brunch fare.
You May Like: Urban Pie Cedar Falls Ia
How To Make Mashed Potato Topping
While the meat mixture is cooking, you will place your peeled potatoes into a pot of salted water and bring to a boil.
Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes or until fork-tender.
Drain the potatoes reserving ¼ cup of the water.
Pour the potatoes back into the pan and add in the water then begin mashing.
When the potatoes are mostly mashed, add in the melted butter, heavy cream, and sour cream.
Stir and mash to combine.
Siennas Traditional Italian Lasagne
Hot bubbling Mozzarella with layers of authentic handmade lasagna sheets and a tangy tomato sauce made by our very own chef! Perfect for anyone who is craving for a scrumptious dish that almost makes you feel like youre at a fine dining restaurant!
Available in: Medium | Massive | Custom
Recommended Reading: Shepherd’s Pie Bake Time
Family Favorite Shepherds Pie
There are hundreds of thousands of Shepherds Pie recipes on the internet. There is a reason why. Shepherds Pie is really. Good. Food. Our family loves Shepherds Pie. When I ask, “What do you guys want for dinner?” …this is the answer. A simple meal prepared from hearty and wholesome ingredients. You can’t go wrong.
How To Make Shepherds Pie
- Sauté some chopped onions in olive oil.
- Add ground beef or ground lamb.
- Add dried parsley, dried thyme, dried rosemary, salt, and pepper.
- Stir and cook the meat mixture until the meat is browned.
- Add minced garlic and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cook the garlic for a minute.
- Add flour and tomato paste.
- Add beef broth, frozen mixed peas and carrots, and frozen corn kernels.
- Simmer the meat gravy until it is thick.
- Boil some peeled and chopped potatoes until they are soft.
- Drain the potatoes
- Add butter, half & half, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth.
- Pour the meat mixture into a casserole dish.
- Top it with the cheesy mashed potatoes.
- Bake until the meat is bubbling and the potatoes are golden.
Recommended Reading: Dairy Free Pies To Buy