About The Other Ingredients In This Mini Shepherds Pie Recipe:
- Meat As mentioned above, lamb is more associated with shepherds pie, so thats what I used, but ground beef works just as well here!
- Onion I cooked a little bit of chopped onion right along with the meat, to add more flavor.
- Flour this will help thicken the gravy, once you add the broth.
- Tomato paste this adds a little acid and umami to the dish.
- Broth I like to use beef broth, but if you have some chicken broth in the fridge that needs to be used up, feel free to use that here.
- Thyme You can use 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves, or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves.
- Veggies I bought a bag of frozen peas and carrots mix for this recipe, and it worked out great!
What Youll Love About This Recipe
Other than the delicious combination of ingredients and the ease of putting it together, here are some more reasons to make mini cottage pies.
- Make it in single servings or in a large casserole.
- Use ground beef or lamb.
- This recipe uses shortcuts to save time, like refrigerated prepared mashed potatoes and frozen vegetables.
- You can assemble it ahead and bake it when ready.
PARTY TIP: Double the recipe to make enough for 6 or 8 people.
Must Try Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
If you’re looking for a single-size portion of comfort food, you’ve come to the right place, because if your taste-buds are anything like mine, this individual Shepherd’s Pie will be calling your name.
It’s stuffed full of all the good stuff: beefy gravy, mixed vegetables, onions and spices, with a heaping spoonful of mash potatoes and then oven-baked for a steaming pot of goodness.
If you’d prefer to go for the family-size casserole, try throwing all the ingredients together in a 9×13 pan instead.
One of the things I absolutely love about this is that it doesn’t take a certified chef to figure out how to make it. If you know how to make beef gravy, you can make these Individual Shepherd’s Pies.
Put your own spin on it if you have a family beef gravy recipe that’s been handed down for generations. I created this recipe around my Hamburger Gravy, added in the veggies and topped it with mashed potato perfection.
And let me tell you, this a meal that no one in my family will complain about.
With a base of Hamburger Gravy, you know this recipe is going to be good!
And yes, I have a lot of fun taking food photos. If that is something you’re interested in doing, I highly recommend the book Tasty Food Photography, because it is so easy to read and user-friendly. It had me taking better photos by the end of the day. Seriously.
But… on to the food.
For these ISPs , brown the meat with the onions.
Add frozen vegetables to the hamburger gravy…
…and stir everything together….
Don’t Miss: Campbells Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
What On Earth Is Shepherds Pie
Shepherds Pie is a dish made of cooked lamb topped with mashed potato. The same dish made with beef is called Cottage Pie or Hachis Parmentier if you want to be French and fancy. Which usually is my default mode but today I am using lamb so common or garden Shepherds Pie it is!
Traditionally, this was made with the leftover lamb from a Sunday roast. We usually use bought minced lamb for our Shepherds Pie but this time round, I wanted to, what they would call on the cooking shows, ELEVATE the dish, so I used some diced lamb.
Can You Make These Ahead And Freeze These
- Yes! Load up the muffin cups, potato topping and all, and then wrap the entire muffin pan in foil and pop it in the freezer. Once the pies are completely frozen, you can take them out of the pan and pop them in a zip-top freezer bag.
- Then you can take out however many you want, and load them back into the muffin cups, spritzed with cooking spray so the pies dont stick. Tent the pan with foil, also sprayed with cooking spray, and bake for 20 minutes, then take off the foil and bake another 8 to 10 minutes.
You May Like: Fried Key Lime Pie Key West
Tips For Making These Mini Shepherds Pie Muffins In Advance:
These mini shepherds pie muffins are a great make-ahead recipe for St. Patricks Day. Its a project that can easily be split over the course of two days.
On Day 1, youll simply be making the meat and vegetable filling. Once its done cooking, spread it in a shallow dish. We always did this in culinary school so that hot food would cool down as quickly as possible, for food safety.
Place the dish in the refrigerator until the meat mixture is fully cooled, and then cover it tightly to store overnight.
On Day 2, make and bake the pie crust muffin cups. Then, your meat mixture will already be prepared and ready for you to spoon into the cups.
Gently warm the potatoes in the microwave, spread over the meat mixture, and bake!
What Is Shepherds Pie
Traditional shepherds pie gets its origins from the UK and Ireland, and is made with ground lamb or mutton. A topping of mashed potatoes is standard but the additional flavorings can vary from recipe to recipe. So to be precise these are actually cottage pies since theyre made with ground beef.
PARTY TIP: Serve individual shepherds pies in mini baking dishes for a dinner party. It gives a restaurant vibe and adds that special twist.
Also Check: 6 Inch Glass Pie Plate
Individual Lamb Shepherd Pies
Recipe may contain gluten, milk, fish, shellfish and soy.
These chunky lamb shepherd’s pies are hearty and tasty winter meals.
- 60ml sunflower oil
- 1kg lean diced lamb shoulder
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 40g plain flour
- 500ml Massel beef stock
- 145g tomato paste
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dried rosemary leaves
- 1.2kg pontiac potatoes, washed, peeled and halved
- 30g butter or margarine
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
How Do You Get Those Pretty Swirls Of Mashed Potato On Top
- Use a piping bag with a large tip. I used a star tip to get that ridged effect you see in the picture. If youre a little fuzzy on how to use a piping bag, you can find all the info you need at Kitchn. But if you dont have a piping bag or dont feel comfortable using one, dont worry these mini pies will taste just as good with a simple scoop of mashed potato on top.
Also Check: Church’s Apple Pie
Can You Use Other Meat In This Besides Ground Beef
- Absolutely. In fact, ground lamb is actually a more traditional filling for a shepherds pie than ground beef.
- For a less traditional but still tasty version, try ground turkey. You can also substitute your favorite veggie crumbles to make a vegetarian-friendly shepherdless pie. MorningStar Farms Grillers Veggie Crumbles are a good choice.
Best Mini Shepherd S Pies How To Make Mini Shepherd S
Mini Shepherd S Pie. Here are a number of highest rated Mini Shepherd S Pie pictures upon internet. We identified it from well-behaved source. Its submitted by executive in the best field. We recognize this kind of Mini Shepherd S Pie graphic could possibly be the most trending topic behind we share it in google benefit or facebook.
Read Also: Pienation
How To Make It
How To Make Simple Shepherds Pie Even Easier With A Few Grocery Store Shortcuts:
Even a great chef at your favorite restaurant will take a shortcut once in awhile, and Im certainly not against that!
If you happen to have leftover mashed potatoes in your fridge, by all means, use them here. But I didnt, and honestly, I dont love making mashed potatoes.
I didnt want to get a pot, colander and potato masher dirty just to make the topping for these mini shepherds pie muffins, so I took a shortcut and bought prepared mashed potatoes from the grocery store.
These are usually found in the dairy refrigerator of the grocery store, often near the butter, eggs and breakfast meats. The two brands I most commonly find around here are Simply Potatoes and Bob Evans.
And of course, you know me baking isnt my thing, and pastry is even less so my thing. Homemade pie crust is SO not my thing.
If you love making homemade crust and have a great recipe for it, you do you. But Im going to use a refrigerated pie crust for these individual shepherds pies. Its the kind you unroll, like Pillsbury brand.
You May Like: Hershey Chocolate Cream Pie Recipe
Lets Make Shepherds Pie
Gather up those and ingredients and then lets start with mashed potatoes!
Now for the meat filling
How To Make Mini Shepherds Pies
Read Also: The Profit Key Lime Pie Update
Individual Shepherd’s Pie Simple Soires
St. Patricks Day is just around the corner and this year Im celebrating with a classic Shepherd’s Pie. Its basically my go-to dish for this yearly celebration, along with a few Irish-inspired cocktails and beer.
My favorite Shepherd’s Pie recipe comes from Mr. Alton Brown.
Its a foolproof recipe that will knock your socks off. I jazzed it up a bit by adding some Dubliner cheese into the potato topping to give it that extra Irish kick. What makes this even more special is that rather than making a big casserole dish of Shepherd’s Pie, I turn this into individual portions by make the pies in a muffin tin. How perfect is that for a fun St. Paddys-themed evening with your friends? Grab a mini Shepherd’s Pie and a Guinness and call it a night.
Individual Shepherd’s Pies
Cut the potatoes into 1/2-inch dice-sized cubes. Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until tender and easily crushed with tongs, approximately 10 to 15 minutes. Place the cream and butter in the food processor. Drain the potatoes in a colander and add them to the food processor. Process the potatoes, cream and butter for 1-2 minutes until mostly smooth. Add in the salt and pepper and continue to mash until smooth. Stir in the yolk and cheese until well combined.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Serve This Individual Shepherds Pie As Part Of A Fun Party Platter
These mini shepherds pies are plenty of fun on their own, but if youre looking to serve them as part of a more elaborate spread, I have a few suggestions.
If youve made your individual shepherds pies with beef, perhaps choose one of my lamb appetizers for a different protein option.
Pretzels, Irish soda bread, green grapes, and Irish cheddar cheese are great for rounding out the platter. And of course, dont forget the Guinness!
Have fun with this recipe, and Happy St. Patricks Day to you!
Don’t Miss: Campbells Chicken Pot Pie With Pie Crust
A Little History Of This Savory Meat And Potato Pie:
Theres many different variations of this pie in a variety of cultures around the world, but its thought to have originated in the United Kingdom.
In early cookbooks, the recipe was provided as a way to use leftover meat of any kind.
Potatoes were an available, affordable crop, so it made sense that the sides and bottom of a pie dish were lined with mashed potatoes. The meat filling was added and then topped with more mashed potatoes!
According to Wikipedia, the term cottage pie has been in use since the late 1700s. The term shepherds pie appeared in the mid-1800s and at first, was used interchangeably with cottage pie.
Eventually, cottage pie became more associated with a pie made with beef, while shepherds pie usually meant a lamb version.
However, to make these mini shepherds pie muffins, lining a muffin pan with mashed potatoes turned out to be messy and impractical. The pies were also very difficult to eat without the whole thing falling apart.
So, Ive taken a liberty and lined my muffin cups with pie crust, in an effort to make an individual shepherds pie that can be taken to a party and eaten as a finger food.