Nuts Or Chocolate Chips
My children cant stand nuts so we add in semi-sweet chocolate chips to our banana bread, but you can add in the following to make it your own!
Chopped pecansWhite chocolate chipsCaramel bits
You can also add a cinnamon sugar coating on top of your loaf and leave out the chocolate chips or nuts if you wish.
Once the cake batter is poured and spread into your loaf pan, sprinkle evenly with a cinnamon sugar mixture: 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon. The result is a crunchy, flavourful top with a decadent bakery-style finish.
Can I Use Frozen Bananas To Make The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
The short answer is, Yes, you can. However, I dont recommend it. For the best results, use very ripe spotty bananas. Ripe fresh bananas will provide the necessary sweetness while still contributing solid structure to the loaf without making it stodgy.
Frozen bananas discolour and will leach water once defrosted. This free water can make the loaf soggy, and it may bake with a dense gummy layer on the bottom. Also, bananas take on lots of unpleasant freezer flavours that can alter the taste of the loaf.
Bake The Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 350°F / 180°C and grease a 9 -10 inch / 25 cm loaf pan with butter or line it with baking paper.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and smooth the top with a spoon or spatula.
- Sprinkle lots of small chocolate chips on top.
- And bake for 50- 60 minutes until golden brown.
- Let cool completely in the loaf pan before removing the banana bread from the pan.
- Cut the banana bread into slices and enjoy!
Tip: Check the cake for doneness by toothpick inserted into the center and it should comes out clean.
Recommended Reading: Strawberry Cream Pie Mcdonalds Price
Why Is This Recipe In Grams
I post my recipes in grams as it is the most accurate way to bake. Cups are not only inaccurate but they vary in volume worldwide. There is no way for me to provide one cup measure that works for everyone. However, posting in weight fixes this issue. If you would like the recipe in cups you are welcome to convert it yourself via google, but please do not ask me to do it for you as I am not comfortable providing a recipe using a method that I have not tested. Baking with a scale is easy, accurate, and also makes cleanup super simple. Here is the scale that I use if you would like a recommendation! Here’s to accurate baking!
- Total Time:1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield:One Loaf
- 150g dark chocolate, finely chopped , or chocolate chips of your choice
Why Does My Banana Bread Fall In The Middle
If you find that your banana bread sinks in the middle as it cools, it’s likely because the bread was not completely cooked through. Banana bread forms a nice, dark crust on the outside that makes the loaf look “done” — even if the inside is still slightly raw. Before removing the bread from the oven, insert a toothpick deep into the very center of the loaf. If it comes out with any wet batter on it, return the bread to the oven to finish baking.
Read Also: Think Keto Peanut Butter Pie
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Ingredients
Along with the ripe bananas and sugar, the chocolate chips add the right amount of sweetness without overpowering the bread.
Typically, most banana bread recipes contain ¾ to 1 cup of sugar, but with the chocolate chips, I find it turns out best when reduced to ½ cup.
Of course, if you want to keep things on the light side, you could cut the number of chocolate chips in half or omit them altogether. It still makes a killer loaf of banana bread.
- over-ripe bananas: the riper the bananas, the sweeter and more flavorful the bread!
- Greek yogurt: makes the bread super moist and cuts down the amount of butter needed.
- butter: for flavor and a soft texture.
- white sugar: just enough to sweeten. You could swap for brown sugar.
- eggs: add structure and help the batter rise.
- vanilla extract: the flavor goes perfect with banana.
- all-purpose flour: this recipe uses regular flour, but you could swap it for a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour.
- baking soda: a leavening agent to help the batter rise and make the bread light.
- salt: enhances the other flavors and brings out the sweetness in the bananas and chocolate.
- semi-sweet chocolate chips: because who can resist delicious chocolate bits in freshly baked banana bread?
The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe
So, this chocolate chip banana bread recipe is something Ive had on my blog for a long time. And for some reason I had it in my head that my kids dont really like banana bread. Dont ask me why, because I legit have no idea what led me to believe that. Probably one gave me a dirty look one time when I suggested banana bread, and I was so deeply offended that I never made it again. Or something less immature and ridiculous.
But! I loooooooove banana bread. And I recently was posting pictures from this post on social media and decide that this post needed a photo update and a video. So I made a loaf. Actually, I made two loaves because I decided that the original recipe didnt photograph as well as the one with full chocolate chips. This was right in the middle of a Cold-a-gedon when we were all trapped in the house together.
My kids: YOU MADE BANANA BREAD?!?!?! CAN WE HAVE SOME?!?!?
Me: Huh? *head tilted like a confused Scooby Doo*
You guys. They like Chocolate Chip Banana Bread. Like a lot.
This chocolate chip banana bread was so delicious I went through all your steps and it turned out perfect my friends all loved it will definitely make again! Emily
Don’t Miss: Best Wild Blueberry Pie Maine
Step By Step Instructions
- STEP 1).Mash bananas in a bowl with the back of a fork until quite smooth. A few small lumps are ok but it shouldnt be chunky. Whisk in brown sugar until it looks syrupy.
- STEP 2).Whisk in eggs, then mix in melted butter and vanilla extract.
- STEP 3).Combine dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- STEP 4).Add dry ingredients. Add flour mixture and fold it in until just combined.
- STEP 5).Fold in chocolate chips.
- STEP 6). Spread batter into the prepared pan and bake for 45-55 minutes until the top is evenly browned and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
How To Ripen Bananas For Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Dont have ripe bananas on hand? There are a few ways you can speed up the ripening process to make your bananas perfect for banana bread!
And there you have it! Ripe bananas that are going to make your chocolate chip banana bread extra delicious.
If you already have frozen ripe bananas, you can also use those. Just leave them out for about 30 minutes to 1 hour in order to thaw before using.
You May Like: Shepherd’s Pie Recipe Ingredients
What Can I Add To Banana Bread
Banana bread is a great blank canvas for add-ins. Besides chocolate chips, you can add cocoa powder to make chocolate banana bread.
Add your choice of nuts like pecans, macadamia nuts, or walnuts for crunch.
Mix in toffee bits, butterscotch chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, whatever you like to make it your own.
My Best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Recipe Uses A Secret Method
Before you start yawning at yet ANOTHER banana bread recipe, please, please give me a chance to explain. I mean I get it, youre probably wondering why mine is the best Chocolate Chip Banana Bread? You have your Grannys recipe that is the best. Or youve made my Toasted Coconut Banana Bread and dont think you need to look any further. But I am not one to leave well enough aloneyou know that about me by now. Ive even claimed to make the BEST Banana Muffinswhich, btw are totally THE BEST.
But I will tell you I have officially cracked the banana bread code here. This chocolate chip banana bread that I am sharing with you today is EVERYTHING.
Recommended Reading: Banana Bread Recipes With Yogurt
Gemmas Pro Chef Tips For Making The Best Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins:
- Zucchini and buttermilk provide plenty of moisture, so if you want to reduce the sugar by half, it should be fine.
- If you dont have buttermilk, its easy to make your own! Try my recipe here.
- Be sure to use a fine grater for these muffins and squeeze the excess liquid out so the muffins wont be soggy.
- You can use semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate if that is what you prefer.
- If you like your muffins nutty, add ½ cup of chopped walnuts to the batter along with the chocolate chips.
- Try adding a tablespoon of orange zest for a deliciously unexpected twist.
Storing And Freezing Banana Bread
This bread keeps at room temperature, wrapped well in plastic and on the counter, for at least a couple of days, although it wont last that long because you’ll eat it all!
You can also freeze the whole loaf or slices by wrapping well in plastic and then in foil.
Need more banana bread freezing and storing information? Click here for all the ins and outs on how to keep your banana bread at its best!
Note: We updated this recipe on August 20, 2021, reducing the baking soda to 1/2 teaspoon and changing the pan to an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch pan.
You May Like: Quick Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Baking Tips For Moist Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Follow the recipe above and these tips below to make the best banana bread, every time!
How to keep chocolate chip banana bread moistGreek yogurt has an acidic nature that makes baked goods light and moist.
How to cook chocolate chip banana bread all the way throughWith the excess moisture from ripe bananas and Greek yogurt, banana bread needs to be baked for 50 minutes to an hour. If the top of the banana bread is beginning to brown too quickly, cover the surface with a piece of tin foil and continue to bake.
Some ovens run hotter than others, so I highly advise checking the loaf with a long wooden skewer or knife near the 50-minute mark. If it comes out clean, remove it from the oven, but if not, youll need another 8 to 10 minutes.
Start with room temperature ingredientsMake sure to have all ingredients at room temperature, including eggs, butter, and yogurt. I often freeze leftover bananas for smoothies and baking, so make sure those are defrosted and room temp too.
Why Didnt My Banana Bread Cook In The Middle
This is usually due to under-baked bread. If the edges are getting brown too fast then cover the loaf with aluminum foil. You can also help prevent the edges from cooking too fast if you use a light-colored loaf pan. Darker pans will absorb more heat and cook the edges too quickly.
Another tip to prevent the center of the bread from being gooey in the middle is to make sure you do not over-mix the batter. Use a wide spatula and gently fold the ingredients until they are well blended. It is ok if you see a few streaks of flour.
Read Also: Key West Key Lime Pie Delivery
Banana Bread With Streusel Topping
I topped my chocolate chip banana bread with a quick chocolate streusel topping, which is super easy to make. You basically add all the ingredients to a bowl – flour, raw sugar, brown sugar, cocoa, and a wee bit of salt, then add melted butter and stir until clumpy.
The streusel adds an amazing chocolate topping to the banana bread which really compliments the chocolate chips. It may look like it is a lot when you add it to the pan – that’s because it kind of is a lot, but the thick streusel layer is just so, so good. Trust me on this one.
What Do Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins Taste Like
Although zucchinis are a key ingredient in my Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins recipe, there isnt an overpowering zucchini taste. Zucchini has a mild, slightly sweet flavor, so it will blend right into your muffins. Its also slightly bitter, so it will balance out the rest of the sweet ingredients like the sugar and chocolate chips really well. You can always adjust the sweetness to your liking by adding more or fewer chocolate chips.
You May Like: 6 Inch Glass Pie Pan
How Long To Bake Banana Bread
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 55 minutes.
Bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out with just a few crumbs.
Allow to cool on a cooling rack slightly, then remove from pan and cool another 30 minutes before slicing. Allow to cool completely before wrapping for storage.
How To Store Banana Bread
Store banana bread tightly sealed with plastic wrap or in an airtight container for up to 3 days on your kitchen counter !
How long does Banana Bread last? Up to 3 days at room temperature or 5 days in the refrigerator.
Can You Freeze Banana Bread? Absolutely! Freeze the whole loaf wrapped in foil or a large airtight container. OR slice it up and freeze in single-sized portions. When the craving hits, reheat a slice in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds, or defrost it on your kitchen counter first thing in the morning. SIMPLE!
Don’t Miss: Recipes For Chocolate Banana Bread
What You Need To Make This Recipe
Bananas you have to use overripe bananas for this to work. They should have brown and black spots all over and be soft so they are really easy to mash. Overripe bananas are extra sweet and soft making them perfect for baking with.
Vanilla use vanilla extract for a real vanilla taste and stay away from vanilla essence which is synthetic.
Butter softened butter is a must so bring it out of the fridge in advance. Its creamed together with the sugar and the only way to do that is by using softened, room-temperature butter.
Sugar I use granulated sugar for this but brown sugar will also work.
Chocolate chips I love to use semi-sweet chocolate chips because banana bread is already really sweet. If you want you can use bittersweet chocolate which will also be delicious or even milk chocolate if you dont mind the extra sweetness.
Salt even in sweet recipes salt is an important ingredient, you dont need much at all but it really enhances the flavors!
How To Make Easy Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This recipes comes together easily. Be sure to follow the recipe as specified, including using both granulated sugar AND brown sugar. The brown sugar really enhances the flavor of the bread. Also ensure that your eggs are at room temperature and your butter is softened.
- Step 1: Mash the bananas. Be sure to use overripe bananas. The bananas should be mostly brown to yield the best flavor. Mash until smooth. Do not leave chunks of bananas.
- Step 2: Prepare the pan. Grease a 9×5 metal loaf pan and set aside. Use butter or a nonstick cooking spray to grease the sides.
- Step 3: Make the batter. Cream together the butter and sugars. Then add the eggs, mashed bananas and vanilla. Stir in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold until just combined. Do not overmix the batter.
- Step 4: Add the chocolate chips. Gently fold in 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips until combined. After pouring the batter into the loaf pan, sprinkle the remaining 1/4 chips on top.
- Step 5: Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the bread is set and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
Don’t Miss: Sugar Free Cherry Pie Filling
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is super easy to make. It is soft, moist, and filled with chopped chocolate chunks and topped with a chocolate streusel. This will be your new favourite twist on a classic homemade banana bread recipe!
Hi hi! Just popping in to share this recipe for chocolate chip banana bread. I love making banana recipes as I often have old bananas hanging around that need using up. I love the texture and sweetness that they add. I will often make a batch of my vegan banana muffins as they are so quick and easy, but I often also turn to my super easy, moist banana bread recipe too, which is, in my opinion, the best banana bread recipe.
I decided that it was time for a wee twist on the classic – enter this easy chocolate chip banana bread recipe! This recipe is pretty similar to my classic banana bread recipe, with a few tweaks to help accomodate a hefty dose of chocolate, and a super delicious chocolate streusel topping. So if you are after something a wee bit different, a banana bread with chocolate chips – I got you!