How To Make Homemade Apple Pie
Prepare the pie crust:
Assemble and bake:
What Makes This Pie Better Than Regular Pies
Pie crusts are kind of my nemesis. They often fail, theyre messy, and I find that unless theyre a cookie crust, they usually dont even taste good.
And when it comes to gluten-free pie crusts, a lot are soggy. No, thanks! These caramel apple pies are an exception. Their oatmeal cookie crust is amazing!
So I am all about this crustless apple pie. You just combine the apples with the spices and sugar, put them in the pie pan, and then pour the topping over the apples.
Most Swedish fruit pies Ive had didnt have any spice but because Im me, I added cinnamon and cardamom. Scandinavians love their cardamom and so do I! It belongs in this pie.
If apples arent your thing, any kind of fruit can likely be used, though youll probably want to adjust the amount of sugar and spices! Part of the beauty of this recipe is that its really hard to mess up.
How To Serve This Pie
Instead of ice cream, Swedish fruit pies are usually topped with vanilla sauce . At least it did in the families I stayed with.
What you see in the pictures is this vegan custard. It is so thick, creamy and flavorful!
The sauce you see in the video is this paleo vegan vanilla sauce.
If you try out this pie, Id love to hear what you think!
You May Like: Frozen Key Lime Pie On A Stick
How Do I Make A Gluten
- Start by preheating your oven to 400° F.
Now make the bottom crust for the pie:
- Use my gluten-free vegan pie crust recipe to make a light, buttery, flaky crust!
- You will need to double the recipe, one for the bottom crust and one for the top crust.
- Roll out your bottom crust between parchment paper, peel off one side of the parchment and flip it in the bottom of a pie dish peeling off the remaining parchment. .
Then its time to make the apple filling:
- Peel and cut 4 cups of apples into thin slices. .
- Put your apple slices in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with sugar, starch, cinnamon, and nutmeg and toss until all the apples are evenly coated.
- Pour the apples into the pie dish on top of the bottom crust.
- Roll out your top crust and peel of the parchment paper, then flip it over quickly onto your pie and peel of the parchment.
- Pinch the edges of the pie together along the sides and use your fingers or a fork to make a pretty pattern along the edge.
- Cut a few decorative holes in the top of the pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pie at 400° F for 50 minutes and then allow to cool before slicing.
How To Make Vegan Gluten
First, make the pecan butter using raw pecans. It only takes about 10 minutes. You can make this the day before making the pies and keep it stored at room temperature. Add 2 cups raw pecan halves to a food processor and process into a flour. Scrape down the sides and process for about 10 minutes or so until it is very, very smooth and creamy. You will need to scrape down the sides a couple of times during. Do not stop processing once it is a paste, you need to keep going until it is very soft and smooth. Think, the consistency of a very soft buttercream frosting. It feels softer than it looks too. It should be smoother than almond butter, almost oily. If its not, then it wont moisten the dough enough in the next step. Store at room temp before making dough.
Scrape all of the dough out of the processor and wrap your dough in plastic wrap and shape into a ball. Place in the freezer for 2 hours. It will become magically firm and easy to roll out and make your crust shapes. If you are making this the day before you are making the actual pies, then just store the dough in the fridge instead.
Make your apple pie filling. While the dough is chilling, make your filling. This can also be made the day before you are baking the pies, to save time. Just store in the fridge. Peel and chop up 1 granny smith apple into 1/2 inch cubes. These are more sour than other apples and I find they work best in the pies.
And, of course, we need an inside shot of that deliciousness!
Also Check: Campbells Soup Shepherd’s Pie
Homemade Pie Crust Is Easy To Make
Traditional Pie crust is usually made of flour, butter, a bit of sugar, water and a pinch of salt. To make this Pie crust dairy-free, I use vegan butter. I assure you, the result will be the same and as delicious as using regular butter. You will not notice the difference. I prefer making the pastry myself, but you can also use store-bought pastry dough to make this recipe.
Helpful Tips And Tricks
- To get the softest apples, make sure to slice them thin, I recommend 1/8 inch.
- In order to easily place the raw dough in the pie plate, gently roll the dough onto the rolling pin and slowly transfer it to the dish.
- A standard 9 pie plate is best to use for this pie. You wont need to grease the pan. If you plan on removing the pie whole for serving, line the bottom with parchment paper to make it easier to transfer to your serving dish.
- Once your pie has cooled, it can be covered and stored at room temperature for up to two days, or refrigerated for 4.
- If youd like to freeze this apple pie, it can be done before or after baking! Tightly wrap the pie in plastic wrap or foil making sure all edges are sealed, then place in an airtight freezer safe container. Freeze for 4 months.
- To bake a frozen raw pie, do NOT thaw first or youll get a soggy crust. Unwrap the pie and place on a cookie sheet, bake at 450 F/ 230 C for 25 minutes, then reduce to 375 F/ 190 C for an additional 30-40 minutes or until the crust is brown.
- For a pre-baked frozen apple pie, place the unwrapped pie on a cookie sheet and bake at 350 F/175 C for 30 minutes or until warm.
Recommended Reading: Aluminum Pie Pans With Lids
Gluten Free French Apple Pie
If you are not on AIP nor paleo diet you can use a store bought gluten-free puff pastry instead of the above.
For the filling
- 2.2pounds apples choose sweet apples like Fuji or Royal Gala apples
- 300gnon added sugar apple sauce
- 2tablespoonmaple syrup
Recipe Tips & Substitutions
- For a VEGAN APPLE PIE: Use a vegan butter substitute in place of the butter in the pie crust. If the vegan butter is already salted, leave out the salt in the pie crust portion of the recipe.
- For a GLUTEN FREE APPLE PIE: Youll want to use a gluten free all purpose flour blend that is a 1:1 ratio with regular all purpose flour. Also, make sure that the blend already contains xanthan gum so you dont have to add it yourself.
- Cut apples to the same size. When slicing your apples, make sure they are all roughly the same size and thickness so that the filling cooks evenly inside the pie.
- Use a pie shield to prevent the crust from burning. Check on the pie regularly to make sure its not burning. If the edges start to burn, cover them with a pie shield. You can also cover the entire pie with a layer of aluminum foil.
- This apple pie can be baked without the top crust, if desired.
You May Like: Lazy Dog Chicken Pot Pie
The Best Vegan Apple Pie
There isn’t a better dessert to share than a pie made from scratch.
And this vegan apple pie recipe has everything you’d want in a homemade pie, and so much more.
In fact, this pie is so good you’d swear it was from a bakery – just like you’d think this vegan key lime pie was.
The filling is packed with sweet apples and spices that give it the classic apple pie flavor. And the crust is tender with just the right amount of crispness.
That said, we’ll be making a lattice pie crust since it makes apple pies so much more visually pleasing – but more on how to do that later.
What Are The Best Apples To Use In Pie
For the best pie, I like to choose a variety of apples. At least one tart variety and one sweet. This creates complex flavors that keep you coming back bite after bite!
Here are some common sweet apples:
- Jonagold my favorite!
I like to choose 50% of the apples from the sweet column and 50% from the tart.
Recommended Reading: 10 Inch Glass Pie Plate
How To Store Mini Apple Pies
These miniature apple tarts will keep in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Alternatively, you can freeze them for up to 3 months in the freezer. To reheat, heat the oven to 350F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the pies onto the baking sheet and heat for 5 minutes.
Serve ala mode and enjoy!
You are just going to absolutely love these adorable and cute mini apple pies! My whole family keeps raving about them, especially for that apple pie filling. Theyre deliciously sweet, without being full of sugar, warm and cinnamon-spice filled, and perfectly baked with a crisp and flaky pie crust!
Gluten Free Apple Pie
This Gluten-Free Apple Pie is so delicious. Its hard to say which is the star of the show: the gluten-free apple pie filling perfectly smothered in a sweet layer of cinnamon and nutmeg, or the buttery-like gluten-free pie crust. Its a match made in heaven!
Pie its one of the best three letter words ever . My moms homemade apple pie is the best, which is why her recipe inspired me to create my own gluten-free version.
Also Check: What Do You Need To Make Apple Pie
Do I Need To Make A Lattice Crust
If you dont want to do the lattice crust, not a problem! You can either make mini apple crumble pies by using only half of the pie dough recipe down below and swapping in an oat crumble topping, like the one on my vegan apple crisp.
Alternatively, you can keep the same amount of pie dough, and simply do the double pie crust look, slicing little holes into the top for decoration.
How Do You Make Allspice
If you were to smell allspice, it would smell like a combination of cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pepper. Despite the many recipes online for making homemade allspice, its actually not a mixture of spices at all. According to this article by The Spruce Eats, allspice is a spice made from the dried berries of a plant known as Pimenta dioica. The berries resemble black peppercorns! To make the ground allspice that is sold in stores, the berries are picked from the tree before they are ripe, dried, and ground up. This is a spice I recommend everyone having on hand in their spice cabinet, as you can use it to make other homemade spice mixtures. However, if you ever find yourself without it, you can always make a mixture that mimics the taste by combining equal parts ground cloves, ground cinnamon, and ground nutmeg. I might also toss in a very small amount of finely ground black pepper.
Don’t Miss: Best Mail Order Apple Pie
What Pie Dish Do I Use For Mini Apple Pies
Contrary to some popular mini apple pie recipes on the web, I wanted to be a bit more diverse and actually make mini apple pies that are closer to mini apple tarts. That way, they truly look like a miniature version of an able pie, and its a bit better on the apple filling to pie crust ratio.
A lot of people use muffin tins, but I recommend miniature tart pans. You can find them at Crate & Barrell, Home Goods, and Amazon.
How To Make A Lattice Crust
Now, for this easy apple pie recipe, you do not indeed need to make a lattice crust to go with it.
Of course, I find them to be fun, but I find all baking challenges to be fun! Sometimes, you just want a really straight forward apple pie, and trust me, that will still an amazing apple pie because its all in the filling.
In that case, just place the second rolled out pie dough crust over the apples in the pie dish, make a few slits , and youre good!
But if you want to make a lattice crust like this oneread on
So you have your first pie dough in the pie dish, and you have your sliced apples coated in their spices sitting in the dish. Now its time for you to get your lattice crust ready!
Here are my basic steps for making a lattice crust:
Don’t Miss: Terry’s Famous Key Lime Pies