Tips For Deep Dishing
Each bite of this pie is stacked with sweet spiced apples. Theres clearly no shortage of apple slices, so if youre crazy for apple pie, this is a must in your baking future. Top it with vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of salted caramel because you and I dont mess around when it comes to dessert.
Need A Crust Recipe To Make Your Apple Pie I Got You Covered
I wrote a huge post all about pie crust! This basic apple pie recipe is a staple in our house and I hope you love it. You can find this recipe plus SEVEN other pie recipes in one post if you are looking around for something that looks perfect for your Thanksgiving table.
Theres something magical about pulling a pie made from scratch out of the oven. It seems to take you back to a time when life was simpler and homemade pie was standard fare in American kitchens.
Plan to take an afternoon to bake and you just might love how grounding the whole process is for you. And youll have a beautiful pie to enjoy after dinner or to share with friends, and thats a pretty great reward, too.
How To Make An Apple Pie From Scratch:
You May Like: Lazy Dog Chicken Pot Pie
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 Serve pie warm or room temperature with fresh whipped cream or a scoop of ice cream on top.
- tip 2 Pie will keep frozen, wrapped in plastic wrap and foil, up to 4 months.
- tip 3 Feel free to swap in a refrigerated rolled pie pastry for the bottom crust if scratch pastry making isnt your thing. We recommend Pillsbury brand.
- tip 4 Choose crisp and tartly-sweet applesconsider Empire, Granny Smith, Honey Crisp, Braeburn, Cortlandas they hold their shape and arent too juicy.
- tip 5 What makes a Dutch pie? The streusel topping, a nearly irresistible, crunchy sweet mixture of sugar, butter, flour, and nuts, probably comes from other Germanic-styles of baking. Its a simpler finish for not only a pie but for coffee cakes, muffins, and bar cookies. Feel free to add a small spoonful of ground spicecinnamon or an apple pie spice blend.
How Will Paula Deens Apple Pie Look And Taste
Finally! We are done with Paula Deens apple pie. It looks crispy golden and flaky on the outside and has delicious apple filling in it. Cant wait to taste it? So, lets dig in! This crispy pie has creamy apple filling. Its loaded with the flavors of nutmeg, cinnamon, and brown sugar. The crispy pie crust compliments every bite. Try this recipe for Thanksgiving and enjoy it with your family.
Read Also: Boston Market Chicken Pot Pie
Tips For Apple Pie Filling
- You can cut your apples into any size or shape that you like, just be sure to cut them uniformly so that they all cook at the same rate.
- Freshly grated nutmeg has so much more flavor than the pre-ground variety. Whole nutmegs keep for years when stored in a cool dry location, so buy a bottle and shave off a little nutmeg as needed for your dishes.
- I use butter in this pie filling because it makes the finished product taste a little richer. You can omit it if you prefer.
- Homemade apple pie filling can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 2 months
Now that Ive had homemade apple pie filling, Ill never be able to go back to the store bought kind. The flavor of this version is SO much better, so even if you have to cheat and use a pre-made pie crust like I do, youll still end up with an amazing pie.
How To Make Apple Pie Filling Recipe Video
Every week I have a list of things Im going to bake or cook. At the beginning of the week, usually on Mondays, I make a list of what I have to bake/photograph/video for the week, do an inventory of my pantry, and make a shopping list. Then, as is also normal, by Wednesday when Im actually doing the recipes, I change my mind 10 times or add a few new recipes to the mix. Last week was no exception to my rule: I decided I needed apple pie filling for a recipe
I never buy apple pie filling unless its for a recipe, because in all honesty, I dont really like canned pie filling very much. Sure, I use it, because its easy and makes things like dump cake or slab pie even easier than normal, and you all love easy recipes. So of course, on a random Wednesday when I decide to make an apple recipe using pie filling, I dont have any in my pantry. And because, by Wednesdays, Ive been to the store usually 3 times already, I dont want to go again.
But then I realized something: I can make my own apple pie filling. It will taste better, be fresher, and I can use it in so many recipes .
I dont know why its taken me 7 years to make my own pie filling, but Im glad I finally came around to the other side of things. Homemade apple pie filling is better tasting and better for you, Im sure. Plus, its good in so many recipes!
Recommended Reading: How Long Do You Bake Shepherd’s Pie
Deep Dish Apple Pie Recipe
This deep dish apple pie recipe features layers upon layers of sweet spiced apples nestled in a buttery flaky pie crust. Top with vanilla ice cream for the ultimate homestyle dessert.
Apple pie is my favorite pie on the planet. Ive been making this deep dish apple pie recipe for years and easily consider it to be the best apple pie on the planet. That is, of course, if were not counting salted caramel apple pie. The recipes are pretty similar, but the other includes salted caramel. Im ALL about that!
What Are The Best Apples To Use For Pies
Try to find a firm apple to use in this recipe. I like a mix between sweet and sour apples. You can use Granny Smith, Jonathan, Jonagold, Winesap, Golden Delicious, Honey Crisp, Gala, or Rome Beauty. I used a mix between Golden Delicious and some kind of tart firm apples from our trees for this pie, and it was great. Its very forgiving, so experiment!
- Granny Smith Tart, green, flavorful, and perfect for apple pie
- Jonathan red on yellow, bright flavor, and juicy
- Golden Delicious Softer, sweet, and yellow in color
- Gala light red, crispy, and mildly sweet
Don’t Miss: Blum 170 Pie Corner Hinge Kit
Don’t Miss Out On This Fall Classic Learn How To Make Apple Pie From Scratch And Enjoy The Flavors Of Autumn
Theres no fall treat more iconic than the apple pie. Who doesnt love going to their local apple picking farm, getting crisp apples and combining them with warming cinnamon and buttery pastry? Because this fall dessert is so beloved, its one home bakers should try to master. If baking pies is intimidating to you, have no fearwell walk you through how to make the perfect apple pie step by step.
Mini Apple Pie Recipe: How To Make It
Cook on medium heat until apples are softened. Stir in sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and cinnamon. Stirring constantly, cook until sauce is thickened and coats the apples. Spoon into bottom crust pie dough pieces that have been fitted into the Sunbeam Pie Maker.
A classic and most widely communal dessert turned into mini serving sizes, these Muffin Tin Mini Apple Pies are these Muffin Tin Mini Apple Pies are t he perfect portion size, look so cute, and are so easy to serve! Apple Pie has never been better with flaky, buttery crust and caramelized apple filling!
The rose version of apple pie will bake more quickly than a double-crust apple pie, especially if you reduced the amount of apples called for in the filling. Expect your pie to bake about 25% faster than a traditional apple pie, since the apples are exposed directly to the heat and thinly sliced apples bake quickly.
Preheat oven to 425°F. For the Mini Apple Pies, unroll crusts on lightly floured surface. Using a 3 1/2-inch round cutter, cut out 6 rounds from each crust. Re-roll scraps as necessary. Press dough rounds into muffin pan sprayed with no stick cooking spray. Set aside.
Cinnamon-Flavored Crunchy Apple Pie . These mini apple pies are delightful desserts that everyone will love. They are crunchy and delicate on the outside and juicy and delicious on the inside. With the perfect blend of apple, cinnamon, sugar, butter, and all-purpose flour, these pies are quick and easy to make.
Also Check: Frozen Key Lime Pie On A Stick
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 The flour tossed with the fresh apples turns their juices into a thickened, spiced sauce during baking. Mix it with the sugar and spices before tossing the mixture with the apples.
- tip 2 Two cans of more fruit apple pie filling can be used if youre short on time.
- tip 3 Let your apple pie cool for at least 2 hours before cutting into it. The filling will thicken as it cools, making it easier to slice.
- tip 4 To make Caramel-Pecan Apple Pie: right after removing the pie from the oven, drizzle with 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping. Sprinkle with 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped pecans.
- tip 5 To freeze Baked Pie: Assemble and bake pie as directed in recipe. Cool completely. Wrap pie tightly with plastic wrap. Place pie in a 2-gallon freezer storage bag seal. Freeze up to 4 months. To reheat, thaw pie in refrigerator overnight. Remove bag and plastic wrap. Cover with foil, bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes or until warm.
How To Tell When The Pie Is Done
Here are three simple methods for telling when apple pie is ready to come out of the oven:
Visual cue: Apple pie is done when the juices are bubbling through the vents of the top crust or lattice. If you do not see bubbles, the pie needs more time.
Internal temperature: The pie is done when an internal thermometer inserted into the middle of the pie reads 195 degrees Fahrenheit .
Texture of the apples: Piercing the pie is a good indication of how soft the apples are. If they feel too crunchy, the pie needs more time.
Also Check: Where To Buy Steak And Kidney Pie
The Apples We Use For Apple Pie
To make this apple pie, we use approximately 4 pounds of apples. For the best apple flavor, try adding more than one variety of apple to your pie.
We especially love these varieties of apples for baked desserts and pie:
- Granny Smith Your standard, never-fails baking apple. Tart, crisp, and they keep their structure after time in the oven.
- Honeycrisp Extra crisp and always holds firm after baking. One of our favorites!
- Jonagold Tart with a bit of sweetness. They also hold up well in the oven.
- Braeburn Crisp, sweet apples that hold up well in pie and other baked desserts.
- Mutsu Big apples that look like a large Golden Delicious. Has a sweet honeyed flavor and holds up well in pie.
- Pink Lady A good balance of sweet and tart. Will also hold its shape when baked.
- Golden Delicious Sweet and flavorful apple thats very versatile. Will hold up in pie, but will become softer than some of the varieties mentioned above.
- Jazz Sweet and crisp flavor. Will hold up nicely in pie.
How To Make Apple Pie Filling From Scratch
This isn’t a very complicated task. Essentially, apples are peeled and sliced, then mixed together with a few ingredients on the stove. They’re cooked until softened, and then a cornstarch slurry is added to thicken them up! Overall you’ll find this recipe very simple, but there are a few tricks you should follow to ensure you get the best flavor in your filling.
The first is that the recipe calls to macerate the apples for about 15 minutes. This helps bring out some of the natural juices in the apples, so the apples are a bit more firm.
Secondly, there is apple cider added into the mixture. This not only adds a boost of apple flavor to the filling, but it also adds in extra sauce around the apples. I just love that apple sauce that surrounds the apple slices, and this ensures it’s plentiful.
And finally, the cornstarch is added later in the cooking process. I prefer to cook the apples to the correct consistency first, and then add the cornstarch to thicken it up. If the cornstarch is added in at the beginning, it can become a little thick or gloopy and possibly even burn, so I like to add it in right at the end, once the apples have fully cooked.
At the very end of the cooking process, some butter and vanilla are folded into the hot mixture. The butter adds a delicious richness, and the vanilla adds a depth of flavor that complements the apples very nicely.
Also Check: How To Make Shepherd’s Pie Easy
How To Freeze Apple Pie Filling
This apple pie filling is delicious and can be used right away. We mainly make it to replace cans of pie filling in recipes, if I am making an actual apple pie from scratch, I dont pre cook the filling. If you do make this filling you can of course freeze it.
Simply cook as directed and cool. Freeze in a freezer bag. Once ready to use, defrost overnight in the fridge and use as you would from fresh!
We love this on its own or served over ice cream but this easy apple pie filling works perfectly in the recipes below!
- Apple Pie Egg Rolls: If you like the OLD McDonalds apple pies you will LOVE these!!!
- Apple Pie Tacos: Crispy Cinnamon Sugar Shells filled with Warm Apple Pie Filling!
- Apple Pie Roll Ups: Easy baked apple pie roll ups rolled in cinnamon sugar and served warm!
- Apple Pie Dumplings: 2 Ingredient Apple Pie Dumplings! This is the easiest dessert to put together!
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- Melt butter and cinnamon over medium heat. Stir in apples, sugar & water.
- Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes or until very slightly softened.
- In a small dish combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water. Add to the pan while stirring and continue to cook until apples are soft and filling is thickened. Let bubble 1 minute. Cool.
Ive tried many apple pie filling recipes and this is definitely one of our favorites! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!