Tips And Tricks For Making Ice Cream Cake
Making a homemade ice cream cake may seem challenging at first, but it is actually simple to make. Here are a few tips for a rockstar cake:
- Use softened ice cream: This step is important because its very difficult to spread the ice cream if its straight out of the freezer.
- Clear freezer space: Ice cream cakes make frequent trips to the freezer to chill in between layers and before serving. I recommend clearing the space before starting so the cake layers are not sitting at room temperature in between steps which could cause it to melt.
- Use a springform pan: This type of pan is best for an ice cream cake because it allows you to remove it from the pan easily. If you dont have a springform pan you can also use a standard round cake pan.
- Make it ahead: Because this cake has multiple steps and lots of chill time, I recommend making it the day before you plan on serving it. I dont recommend making it too far ahead of time though unless you have some kind of cake carrier container to store it in. Leaving the cake uncovered in the freezer for longer than 1 week will start to take on a stale freezer taste.
How To Make Chocolate Cake
1. Butter and flour three 8-inch cake pans. I highly recommend using cake strips for a more even bake. Sift together the dry ingredients into the bowl of a stand mixer and whisk to combine.
2 Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
3. Add the wet ingredients into a large bowl and whisk together.
4. Add the wet ingredients the dry ingredients. Whisk to combine then mix on level 2 for two minutes. Distribute batter evenly to the three pans and bake for about 35-40 minutes at 350F or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. I recommend rotating the pans halfway through the bake. Allow time to cool for 10 minutes then invert onto wire racks to cool fully.
5. In a small bowl combine the semi-sweet chocolate with 2 tbs of cream then microwave for 40 secs on half power. Stir to combine then set aside. Whip the butter for about 5 minutes using a paddle attachment . Beat in the confectioners sugar slowly. Add the cream. Slowly mix in the ¼ cup of cocoa powder. Add the salt, as well. You may add the optional vanilla and espresso at this step. Mix until you have a fluffy, even consistency. Beat in the melted and cooled chocolate ganache.
6. Pipe chocolate buttercream between each layer.
7. Pipe the buttercream on the outside of the cake. Smooth with a bench scraper and offset spatula. Press cocoa nibs or chopped chocolate onto the bottom of the cake .
8. Use an 869 tip to pipe dollops on top.
Different Combinations To Try
If you dont like Ferrero Roche chocolates or find them hard to find, you can always substitute with maltesers , baci chocolates, your favourite truffles , or even your preferred chocolate bar broken into pieces.
You can also mix up ice cream flavours depending on the chocolate you choose, anywhere from chocolate to strawberry, although I think vanilla is a good choice as it goes with everything.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Chocolate Cookie And Berry Ice Cream Cake
The suns shining and the temperatures rising, so cool down with this delicious ice cream cake. Bursting with the flavours of classic summer berries, and a delightful cookie crunch, we guarantee you wont be able to stop at one slice.
- 2L vanilla bean ice cream
- 200g Pams Finest Hazelnut Crème Filled Cookies, roughly chopped
- 125g fresh raspberries, plus extra to garnish
- 125g fresh blueberries, plus extra to garnish
- 250g strawberries, sliced, plus extra to garnish
How To Make Ice Cream Sandwich Cake
If you’re not much of a baker, then this is the dessert for you! It’s perfect for those of us who always seem to need a crowd-pleasing potluck dish to serve to family and friends, but we don’t always have time to whip up a homemade cake from scratch. With layers of store-bought ice cream sandwiches and whipped topping, you can assemble this no-bake easy ice cream cake in about 10 minutes. Mix up the flavors or add different toppings — once you know how to make ice cream sandwich cake, the options are endless! Kids and adults love this simple dessert.
You May Like: Where To Buy Gluten Free Pie Crust
How To Make Easy Ice Cream Cake Recipe:
First remove the wrappers from all the ice cream sandwiches. You need to move fast because ice cream melts.
Then lay 3 ice cream sandwiches side by side on a cake platter.
Next drizzle with the caramel and the chocolate.
Then lay another 3 ice cream sandwiches on top going the the other direction. Drizzle with more caramel and chocolate.
Continue this process 2 more times so it is four ice cream sandwiches high.
At this time, if the ice cream sandwiches start to melt, then place in the freezer for 30 minutes to an hour.
Now its time for the icing on the cake. I think this might be my favorite part! Ice the cake with the cool whip.
Then drizzle the caramel and the chocolate on top allowing it to drip down the sides.
Freeze the cake for at least 2 hours and then I allow the cake to set at room temperature for at least 15 minutes to soften some so its easier to cut and then its ready to serve!
Variation Ideas For This Homemade Ice Cream Cake Recipe:
Since this recipe is simple to make, there are many variations that you can make to this recipe to make it your own.
Generally, I use plain ice cream sandwiches for this cake recipe. However, you can use different flavors of ice cream sandwiches. Neapolitan ice cream sandwiches are delicious in this recipe. Also, the other day, I say half vanilla and half chocolate ice cream sandwiches that would work perfectly for this cake recipe.
I prefer cool whip or whipped cream for the top of the ice cream cake, but you can definitely change the toppings to make this cake work for any holiday or birthday party.
You can chop up your favorite type of cookie or candy bar for the topping or of course sprinkles or even chocolate chips would help turn this cake into a beautiful birthday cake for anyone in your life!
Also, you can ca add colored icing in between the layers to match a holiday.
The possibilities are endless with this easy cake recipe.
This cake just looks so beautiful served up and no one has to know that you cheated by using ice cream sandwiches. It will be our little secret.
Check out this video on how easy it is to make this ice cream cake:
Also Check: How To Make Shepherd’s Pie Easy
Print Your Easy Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe Below:
Popsicles are also great to beat the heat! You will love Cookies and Cream Popsicles! These cream popsicles are packed with whipped cream, Oreo cookies and taste absolutely amazing!
You might also like to try this easy and delicious Snow Ice Cream Recipe.
We are crazy about oreo cookies and this Oreo Ice Cream Cake Recipe is out of this world!
Oreo Dirt CakeRecipe is one of the best no bake treats that takes just minutes to prepare.
Learn how to make this easy no church Cotton Candy Ice Cream recipe.
How Do You Wrap An Ice Cream Sandwich
Cut a square of waxed paper and fold over the sandwich, wrapping it like a present. Secure with a piece of twine and place in freezer to set up and store. This is much neater with square and rectangular sandwiches but wrapping a round one isnt too difficult. Youll want a piece of wax paper thats about three times the width or your cookie.
If youve tried this ice cream sandwich recipe out then dont forget to leave a rating and let me know how you got on in the comments below, I love hearing from you!
Don’t Miss: Nothing Bundt Cakes Denton Tx
Pro Tips For Making This Recipe
- Its best to slightly soften the ice cream before adding it to the cake pan so you can create a uniform layer, making it much easier to layer on top of the cake.
- Be sure to press out any air pockets in the ice cream when adding it to the cake pan.
- When lining the cake pan for the ice cream, be sure to leave some extra plastic wrap on the sides to make it easier to lift.
- Try to have your kitchen as cold as possible to make sure the ice cream cake doesnt melt as you work with it. If your kitchen is on the warmer side, youll have to put your cake back into the freezer often in between steps.
- To make cutting the cake easier, you can run your knife under hot water before slicing.
Best Tips For Success
- Use any flavors you prefer. Know that if you use layers that have a slightly different consistency, such as the sherbet and vanilla ice cream shown here, one layer may be softer than the other.
- Use smaller or larger cake pans if desired.
- Use an offset spatula to frost the cake, or a regular butter knife or spatula.
- You should have plenty of time to assemble and frost the cake before it starts to melt, so dont stress. It may melt faster if its humid or very warm in your kitchen.
- If you want to make this with lower sugar, look for options in the ice cream section of your store. Or you could try it with my Strawberry Frozen Yogurt.
You May Like: Show Me Recipes For Shepherd’s Pie
Tips For The Best Ice Cream Sandwich Cake Recipe
- Use a very deep baking dish, if possible. I’ve shown a deep lasagna pan here. If your dish is deep, you don’t need to press down on the first layer of ice cream sandwiches — just skip that step.
- Thaw the whipped topping in the refrigerator overnight before you plan to assemble the cake. Do not thaw the whipped topping on the counter at room temperature, or the texture will be runny.
- Allow the ice cream sandwiches to soften slightly so that you can gently press them down as you’re creating the layers. This will help them fit in the pan!
- Prepare the cake at least 1-2 hours in advance of when you plan to serve it. The cake needs adequate time to firm up in the freezer again before you slice into it.
: Foodnetwork: Shot0: 0153tif
Like a raging snow storm, its easy to get lost in this Vanilla Malted Ice Cream Cake. You wont know which element to focus on first, immersed in the angel food cake and the malted heavy cream, the layers of vanilla ice cream and the white sprinkles. My advice? Its always a good idea to make this recipe, whether youre throwing one of those parties where people only wear white, or youre celebrating the last weeks of July.
Because I have a full set of sweet teeth , I need everything to be made with ice cream, including my lasagna. So, when I discovered this Ice Cream Lasagna recipe, it was an ice cream dream. A great recipe to make and enjoy with your kids, this vanilla-strawberry ice cream cake couldnt be easier. Alternate layers of cake, ice cream, strawberry sauce and rice puff cereal for a fun replacement to the dinnertime classic.
Close-up of Frozen Tiramisu Cake, as seen on The Pioneer Woman, Season 20.
If you like your tiramisu with extra espresso, then you’re going to love this Frozen Tiramisu Cake. It’s full of ground coffee beans, coffee liqueur and plenty of coffee ice cream. So, if you’re a coffee fanatic, make this recipe for your next-door neighbors yard game Olympics, or maybe as a thank you for your mailman. Why not! Theres never wrong time for tiramisu.
Read Also: Blueberry Pie Candle Bath And Body Works
Easy Copycat Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake
As a kid, I rarely had the same birthday cake twice. I like all kinds of cake too much to stick with one. Regular cake, cheesecake, ice cream cakes you name it. The only one I didnt need to have for my birthday was a cookie cake, because I knew I could depend on my dad for that one at his birthday. So naturally, Ive tried quite a few cakes including ice cream cakes.
So, these days I feel like Im a bit of an ice cream cake connoisseur. Theres definitely something to love about all the different kinds available, but when it comes to a Dairy Queen ice cream cake, that middle layer of chocolate fudge along with the chocolate crunchies is pure heaven. Often, Id just dig that right out from between the ice cream and eat it alone. So darn good!
When I started playing around with ice cream cakes several years ago, I did a fair amount of experimenting with that middle fudge layer and finally perfected it. Ive shared it before, but never for this copycat cake so Im excited to share it with you today.
What Youll Need For This Recipe
Coffee: I like to use a very strong coffee from a Moka pot but you can really use any coffee on hand. It amplifies the chocolate flavor, but if youre not a fan just use water or milk instead.
Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips: You can use bittersweet, or any other dark chocolate to make chocolate buttercream for this recipe.
You May Like: Sugar Free Key Lime Pie With Yogurt
How Do I Store This Cake
Keep the ice cream cake in the freezer until 30 minutes before youre ready to serve, then transfer the cake to the fridge or the counter. You need to keep the cake in the freezer as itll melt if stored long-term in the refrigerator. Transferring the cake to the fridge or the counter for 30 minutes will allow the ice cream layer to soften up just enough that there isnt a ton of resistance when cutting through but still firm enough to enjoy.
Whats The Best Frosting To Use
- I love an chocolate American buttercream. The cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate along with a nice dose of salt really balances out the sugar and creates a decadent flavor explosion!
- If you like things less sweet and maybe a bit more subtle then you should try a meringue-based frosting like Swiss or Italian buttercream. The consistency is VERY light and creamy with not too much sugar. If you havent made Swiss meringue buttercream before check out my FULL tutorial with a how to video that walks you through all the steps and shows you what to do when things go wrong!
Read Also: What Temp To Bake Shepherd’s Pie
How To Make An Ice Cream Cake
1. Line an 8-inch cake pan with plastic wrap. Transfer all the ice cream to your lined cake pan and then cover with another layer of plastic. Press down into a flat layer and freeze.
2. Prepare and cool an 8-inch chocolate cake and cover the top with the chocolate fudge sauce using an offset spatula.
3. Sprinkle chopped cookies on top of the hot fudge.
4. Remove the ice cream layer from the freezer, unwrap it, and place it on top of the fudge. Cover the whole thing in plastic and place in the freezer while you make the whipped cream.
5. Combine cold whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla and mix starting on low. Gradually increase speed to high and mix until very soft peaks form. Finish off by whisking the whipped cream by hand until the peaks firm up. See my Whipped Cream Recipe for more instructions.
6. Cover the cake with the whipped cream and transfer the rest to a piping bag fitted with a large closed star tip.
7. Pipe a drip of chocolate onto the edge of the entire cake.
8. Pipe a scalloped pattern onto the top edge of the cake with the reserved whipped cream. Press crumbled cookies onto the bottom edge, and the cake is ready to serve.
How To Decorate A Homemade Ice Cream Cake
I added sprinkles around the top edge and on the sides of the cake. I placed my cake stand with the cake over a towel and sort of threw the sprinkles at the sides of the cake. I did have to sweep up some that wound up on the floor but it was otherwise easy!
You could use any other decorations you prefer or use a tube of frosting to write on a message or name.
Also Check: Joe And Pie Pizza Menu
Storing Ice Cream Cake
Youll need to store leftover ice cream cake in the freezer. Keep it wrapped well in plastic wrap or an airtight container with a lid. You can expect your cake to stay good in the freezer for about 7 days. After that, ice crystals will begin to form and the flavor of the cake will begin to diminish.
Ferrero Roche No Churn Ice Cream
In a small bowl whisk together sweetened condensed milk and vanilla, set aside.
In a large bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks form, add a little whipped cream to the vanilla/sweetened condensed milk mixture, , then fold in the rest of the whipped cream mixture and combine gently until completely combined. Then fold in the coarsely chopped Ferrero Roche chocolates and add the Nutella swirl 2-3 times just to add.
Remove the base from the freezer and spread evenly the Ferrero Roche Ice Cream over the vanilla ice cream, then spread with the remaining vanilla ice cream. Place in an airtight container or freezer bag and freeze 3-5 hours or over night.
Remove the cake from the freezer once it is completely frozen. Drizzle 3/4 of the melted chocolate over the ice cream cake, place the Ferrero Roche whole chocolate on top then drizzle the chocolates with the remaining melted chocolate. If cake is frozen solid then let it sit until it is easier to cut, about 20-30 minutes. Running your knife under hot water will make it easier to cut also.
I really wanted as much chocolate as possible, so I made the base with chocolate wafer cookies and melted butter. Although you could use graham cracker crumbs or even your favourite cookie of choice as a base.
Also Check: Greek Yogurt Key Lime Pie