Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie is classic comfort food and will warm you up. Its a show-stopping dish with a flaky Pie Crust, filled with saucy chicken and vegetables.
If youve never tried a homemade savory pot pie, you are in for a treat. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love easy chicken dinners from Instant Pot Whole Chicken to Chicken Tortilla Soup. If you are looking for chicken recipes the whole family will love, this Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is a must-try!
Can You Freeze Chicken Pot Pie
You have a couple options here. You can freeze the filling itself and trot it out when you want to make chicken pot pie. Or you can make an entire chicken pot pie and freeze it whole. Just let it cool first. When youre ready to make it, you should defrost in your fridge the night before and just follow the baking instructions below.
Chicken Pot Pie Video Scroll Down For Recipe
I made this pot pie from scratch, all the way up from the bottom. Some shortcuts you may want to apply would be using leftover chicken or turkey, buying a rotisserie chicken and stripping it, or even using canned chicken and using store bought stock . If you want a two-crust pie, make sure you have enough dough. Double this recipe for pie crust, or buy some. Often, though, pot pies only have a top crust make sure to cut vent holes in it if you dont do a lattice crust like I did or it will cause problems. The benefit of only having a top crust is that the pie wont need to bake as long, maybe only 30 minutes.
An even simpler way to make a pot pie is to put the filling into a casserole dish, then top with squares of biscuit dough and bake.
This recipe makes enough filling for two deep-dish pie pans or one 9×13 pan. When filling the pans, leave about 1/2 at the top to allow for expansion and help prevent bubble-overs. Just in case of bubble-overs, though, I recommend putting a cookie sheet on the rack under the pie to catch any spills before they burn onto your oven floor, creating carbon stalagmites.
Also Check: Easy Bean Pie Recipe
How To Cook Costco Chicken Pot Pie
You can cook Costco chicken pot pies in the air fryer, oven, and microwave. The cooking duration will be changing from one method to another from 10 min until 60 min, just follow the right steps and you will get hot chicken pot pie which is crispy from the outside and warm from the inside.
Chicken pot pies instruction works well for almost any Costco chicken pot pie. If anybody has a question, tips, or feedback back feel free to leave a comment.
The Best Classic Chicken Pot Pie
The Best Classic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Homemade chicken pot pie with flaky pie crust and creamy chicken pot pie filling. Classic comfort food!
This chicken pot pie recipe is loaded with flavor. Its got flaky pie crust and a buttery creamy chicken pot pie filling with chicken breast, a mix of fresh and frozen vegetables, and a mix of dried and fresh herbs.
I initially wanted to make an easy chicken pot pie. So, I started out using refrigerated pie dough, all frozen vegetables, and all dried herbs. That was easy, but it really needed some bright fresh flavors.
So, instead of making the easiest recipe, I decided to make the BEST chicken pot pie recipe.
Using fresh vegetables and some fresh herbs in the filling gives this pot pie so much flavor that its ok to take a short-cut with the crust and use a pre-made refrigerated pie crust.
Of course, if you have the time to make your own homemade pie crust, that would be amazing too.
Also Check: Chicken Pot Pie With Campbells Soup
A Classic Chicken Pot Pie Filling Thats Ready Fast
Were not trying to break the mold with this easy chicken pot pie recipe. Quite the opposite. We wanted to craft a homey, classic, comforting pot pie that you can make in no time flat. With a store-bought pot pie crustwe just use store-bought frozen puff pastryall youll need to do is make a filling. But, even the pot pie filling relies on some simple shortcuts to make your life just that much easier. Heres what youll need:
- Chicken! Save yourself major time by using one of those already-cooked rotisserie chickens from the grocery store.
- Vegetables! Carrots, celery, frozen peas and onions.
- Seasoning! Celery seed and garlic powdera perfectly retro combo and just right in this skillet pot pie. Salt and pepper, of course. If youd like to add it, a sprinkling of fresh thyme is nice, too.
- Liquid! Broth and milk are thickened with a little flour to make a creamy chicken pot pie sauce.
Whats The Best Way To Reheat Chicken Pot Pie
Once the chicken pot pie has been cut and served, I find the best way to reheat it is to cover it with aluminum foil and reheat it in the oven for 15 minutes, or until warmed through.
Usually, Ive stored the pot pie in the fridge in the same dish I baked it in. To avoid shattering my dish, I pop it into a cold oven. I set the oven to 350°F and allow the dish to warm up along with the oven. This lowers my wait time and protects my ceramic baking dishes. My 15-minute heating time begins when the oven has reached 350°F.
Recommended Reading: The Profit Key Lime
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For a pretty finish to the crust, brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle lightly with a coarse salt.
- tip 2 Use the small cutters to create steam vents in the top crust or just cut slits in the pastry with the tip of a paring knife.
- tip 3 For a lump-free white sauce, use a medium wire whisk to stir in the flour and then to constantly stir the sauce as you pour in the broth and milk.
- tip 4 To roll the pie crust rounds into a square, place the pastry on a lightly floured counter, pastry cloth or sheet of parchment paper. Then, carefully press the pastry into more of a square shape before rolling it into a 13-inch square. next, fold the dough in half and lay it into half of the baking dish. Finally, unfold it and gently press it into the corners of the pan to create the bottom crust, being careful not to stretch it. The dough should extend just a little over the edges.
- tip 5 Swap in 1 1/2 cups of any frozen vegetable combo for the peas and carrots, slicing larger pieces into smaller pieces so they blend more evenly in the sauce.
How To Make A Chicken Pot Pie
- 100g cold, salted butter, cubed
- 4 tbsp ice water
- 1 egg, whisked
- 2 tbsp curry bone broth
- 1 cup liquid vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 tbsp cassava flour
- 2-3 stems of fresh thyme
- Ghee for cooking
‘The perfect winter companion … looks so yummy.’
Also Check: Campbells Chicken Pot Pie Sauce
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
This Chicken Pot Pie Casserole is a completely made-from-scratch comfort food classic! Its packed with veggies and tender bites of chicken then layered with a fluffy homemade biscuit topping.
Chicken Pot Pie is one of those timeless comfort foods that I could eat every day and still not be tired of it.
Whether its classic Chicken Pot Pie, Chicken Pot Pie Soup, Turkey Pot Pie, Chicken Pot Pie Biscuit Cups, or this Chicken Pot Pie Casserole, you can bet I will be going back for secondsand probably thirds.
This casserole version is made up of a rich and creamy filling thats packed full of veggies and chicken, then layered with buttery, fluffy biscuits made completely from scratch. This recipe takes just 20 minutes to prep, is a total crowd pleaser, and makes great leftovers!
Swaps And Substitutions For Chicken Pot Pie
You can make this easy chicken pot pie gluten-free or dairy-free, swap out the vegetables, or save this recipe for Thanksgiving and use up leftover turkey in place of chicken. I use a basic medley of peas, carrots, onions, and celery in this chicken pot pie, but feel free to add things like sliced mushrooms, small diced potatoes , or your favorite root vegetables.
To make a gluten-free pot pie: Swapping the all-purpose flour for 1:1 Baking Flour . Swap the puff pastry for gluten-free pie dough.
To make a dairy-free pot pie: Use your favorite nut milk in lieu of the cows milk. Because the milk is used to make the gravy creamier, you can even omit the cows milk altogether.
Recommended Reading: American Pie Band Camp Trailer
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
This pot pie recipe is a weekend affair meaning, you should put on some music and set aside some time to make this! Your time will be well rewarded. There is nothing like the taste of homemade, from-scratch chicken pot pie.
Here are the basic steps:
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth until smooth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick.
- Add peas and parsley to the filling.
- Fit the bottom pie crust into a pie plate.
- Spoon the creamy filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet .
Read Also: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie
Classic Creamy Comfort In A Pan
Chicken pot pie is one of those classic comfort foods we all adore. With its creamy chicken-and-vegetable filling and golden brown pie crust, it’s a stick-to-the-ribs dish that warms the soul. Follow these steps to bake up this quintessential chicken pot pie in a pan, chock-full of tender chicken and perfectly cooked vegetables, all submerged in a deliciously creamy sauce.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
There are certain foods that scream comfort: fried chicken, potato salad, apple pie, corn bread, and the list goes ondepending on where you’re from, comfort food is whatever your Momma made for you when you were a child. But there are many foods many of us will completely agree are comforting, and one of those foods has to be this Homemade Chicken Pot Pie.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie An Overview:
- Start with your veggies: cook them down in some butter until theyre nearly tender
- Add your seasonings: add your herbs and seasonings into the pan with the veggies before adding your liquids this helps to wake up their flavors after sitting in your spice rack for so long
- Add some flour just a bit to thicken what is going to become our gravy. Stir it until its completely absorbed by the butter.
- Stir in some chicken broth, peas and our cooked chicken simmer and stir until that flour works its magic and we have a thick creamy gravy coating every last bit.
- Pour into a pie plate or some sort of baking dish or oven-safe skillet lined with our first pastry crust, top with more pastry, and bake until golden.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken pot pie looks difficult to make, but in just 20 minutes, youll be done and you can either go put up your feet or get busy with something else until this comfort food is ready. To make it even faster, make this easy chicken pot pie recipe with pie crust that is store bought.
You cant be sad when youre holding chicken pot pie.Megan
You May Like: Recipe For Muslim Bean Pie
Is This Chicken Pot Pie Freezer Friendly
Yes! That this homemade chicken pot pie recipe is freezer friendly is one of the best things about it! You can enjoy this classic comfort food anytime.
There are a few ways that you can prep it for freezing. Often, I will make double or even triple batches of the filling. I like to use my 2-cup Souper Cubes to freeze the filling but any airtight container will work. You can freeze the filling for up to six months, just dont forget to date and label you container!
Freezing just the filling saves space in the freezer but also allows you to assemble the pot pies just before baking. The recipe card below has all the instructions on how to do that.
Another option is to assemble the whole pie, then wrap in foil or put in a zip top bag . This is a great option if you bring meals to others or have the space in your own freezer to store it. Instructions on how to bake the pie from frozen are in the recipe card below.
No matter what you choose, I love the flexibility of this recipe and of course its simplicity and great flavor. I hope you enjoy it too!