Tips For Making Key Lime Pie Cookies
- Chilling the dough is important, especially during hot summer days. However, make sure that you roll and indent your cookies before chilling the dough. This way youll be a lot less likely to cause cracks in your cookies and it will just be easier in general to shape.
- Its important to use Key Lime juice and not regular lime juice when making your key lime filling . You can use fresh-squeezed or bottled. However, for the zest you can get away with using either regular lime zest or key lime zest.
- Youll indent your cookies before cooking them, but if your centers puff up any in the oven I recommend using a rounded teaspoon to re-indent each cookie right after removing them from the oven.
- When making your key lime pie filling, make sure to keep the heat on low to medium-low, or you could end up burning your white chocolate.
- Note that the key lime pie filling usually stays a bit tacky even once its completely cooled, so these arent great for stacking.
Authentic Key Lime Pie
I am a Florida native who raised Key lime trees in the back yard. This recipe is as authentic as it gets. A real Key lime pie is plain, simple. This is the recipe I grew up with. I hope you like it.
Provided by JetsonRING
|2 cans sweetened condensed milk|
|4 jumbo egg yolks|
|½ cup Key lime juice|
|1 graham cracker crust|
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F .
- Whisk condensed milk and egg yolks together in a large mixing bowl. Mix in Key lime juice mixture will be thin at first but will thicken as it is whisked. Whisk until smooth and thick. Pour into the graham cracker crust.
- Bake in the preheated oven until filling is firm to the touch and only slightly jiggly in the center, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature, then refrigerate before serving, 5 hours to overnight.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 459.5 calories, Carbohydrate 69 g, Cholesterol 172.1 mg, Fat 16.8 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 10.5 g, SaturatedFat 7.6 g, Sodium 251.8 mg, Sugar 61.8 g
Powdered Sugar Icing For Sugar Cookies
The powdered sugar glaze for these cookies couldnt be easier. Simply use a mix of powdered sugar and lime juice. Whisk the two ingredients together, then spoon it on top of the cookies.
Allow the glaze to set completely before you store the cookies. Because of the glaze, it is best not to stack the cookies.
Also Check: Recipe For Bean Pies
East Tennessee Restaurant Shipping Thanksgiving Goodies Across The Country
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – A restaurant, known for their key lime pie, is shipping hundreds of pies to people all over the country for Thanksgiving.
Cootie Browns, in the Tri-Cities area, said it got more than 400 orders for their Seasonal Pumpkin Pie Cheesecake. Their partner company, Goldbelly, facilitates the orders and they fulfill them in house.
Shipping days are always the best days, and we get a little silly. But hundreds of Pumpkin Pie Cheesecakes and Key Lime Pies are currently racing their way across the country to get to their destinations. Thanks to everyone that ordered, we know youll love our homemade, delicious desserts! #cootiebrowns #realfood #nationwideshipping #goldbelly #foodexplorers #pumpkinpie #cheesecake #keylimepie #ups
Posted by Cootie Brown’s Johnson City on Tuesday, November 24, 2020
The group is now shifting towards Christmas and their traditional Christmas Tamales. They were mentioned in the Food Network Magazine this year for their tamales. Theyre preparing for another busy round.
The restaurant said its shipped orders as far as Hawaii.
Key Lime Sugar Cookies Recipe Notes
Here are a few hints for THE BEST sugar cookies:
- To give your key lime sugar cookies the best lime flavor, use lime juice and zest from fresh key limes. Bottled lime juice is made from concentrate, so the flavor isnt nearly as bright and citrusy.
- Make sure the butter is at room temperature but not melted. It should give just slightly when you touch it. This will help the cookies not spread too much during baking.
- We add white chocolate chips for a little texture and flavor. You can leave these out for a flatter cookie if youd like.
- There is no need to refrigerate this cookie dough . Flatten the cookies just slightly after they are on the pan. The cookies wont spread much, but will poof slightly during baking, so it really depends on the look you are going for.
- For the softest cookies, dont over bake them. Dont let the edges get browned.
- Allow the cookies to set and cool on the baking pan for a few minutes, then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
Read Also: Pienation
Cootie Brown’s Save Room For Dessert
If you are looking for the best dessert in town, look no further, you have came to the right place! Cootie Brown’s is home to some of the finest desserts you can get! Why are we so confident our desserts will knock your socks off? Well because we KNOW we can put our money where our mouth is! We use only the finest ingredients to hand craft our awesome desserts in house. We offer many different selections so every guest is sure to find something just like momma used to make, but be prepared for us to make momma jealous. This test will take you through a tour of our homemade desserts!
- All of our desserts are safe for a lactose-intolerant guest.
- A.& nbsp
Cootie Browns Campus: A New And Welcome Neighbor To Etsu
Get email notifications on } daily!
Email notifications are only sent once a day, and only if there are new matching items.
Don’t have an account?
The pork is a well-smoked Boston butt properly smoked and pulled to add texture, taste and all of it delicious. The Retirees baked sweet potato was just right.
Cooties takes half a French baguette roll and loads it with grilled zucchini, roasted red peppers, yellow summer squash, fresh spinach, and some fresh mozzarella. A dollop of Cooties basil pesto mayo was added to amp up the veggie medley, while fresh-sliced avocado added some smoky, creamy smoothness to the sandwichs flavor and texture bouquet.
Cooties uses half a French baguette and layers it up with smoked turkey, deli-sliced ham, Swiss & American cheeses, hickory smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato and mayo which my dining partner swapped for some spicy mustard. I found the spiral chips to be crunchy, and my taste of my dining partners sandwich found it to be very good indeed.
This is a New Orleans sandwich made from Sicilian Muffaletta bread, split horizontally and filled with smoked pork, ham, Italian salami and provolone cheese, with Cooties relish subbing in for the usual olive tapenade. I found all of it quite delectable.
1404 W. State of Franklin Road
Recommended Reading: Hershey Creme Pie Recipe
Can Key Lime Sugar Cookies Be Frozen
These cookies freeze very well just be sure to cool completely before freezing. Wrap the cookies in plastic freezer storage bags or an airtight freezable container before transferring them to a freezer. Once frozen, the cookies will stay good for 2-3 months.
When you defrost the cookies, allow them to come to room temperature before you open the container or unwrap them. I knowits hard because frozen cookies are so good! If you allow them to defrost completely before removing them from the packaging, this will help the cookies to retain their moisture.
Brown Sugar Caramel Pound Cake Recipe
Provided by stokeslm
|1 1/2 cups butter, softened|
|2 cups light brown sugar, packed|
|1 cup granulated sugar|
|1 bag toffee bits|
|1 cup pecans, chopped|
|1 can condensed milk, sweetened|
|1 cup brown sugar, packed|
|2 tablespoons butter|
|1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract|
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray a 12 cup bundt pan with nonstick baking spray with flour. Set aside. Beat the butter until creamy. Add sugars, beating until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture in thirds, alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat until just combined. Stir in toffee bits and pecans. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake until a wood pick inserted near the center of cake comes out clean, 75 to 85 minutes. TIP: Cover the top with foil to prevent excess browning is necessary. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, and let cool completely on a wire rack. spoon caramel drizzle over cooled cake. CARAMEL DRIZZLE: In a medium saucepan, combine condensed milk and brown sugar bring to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking frequently. Reduce heat, and simmer for 8 minutes, whisking frequently. Remove from heat whisk in butter and vanilla. Let cool for 5 minutes before using. NOTE: Make sure you drizzle the caramel while it’s still hot. When cooled the caramel does somewhat harden.
Don’t Miss: Shabazz Bean Pie Recipe
Whats The Difference Between Key Lime And Lime
Although they are both green citrus fruits, there is a big difference between key limes and regular limes.
Key limes, also known as Mexican limes, are smaller in size than the kind youll find in most U.S. stores. By the way, the larger limes are commonly known as Tahitian limes or Persian limes. Ive heard that if you want tart key lime flavor, you DO NOT use Persian limes.
Dont let the small size mislead you, though the flavor of key lime juice is big and bold! Key limes are more aromatic and have more tartness than Persian limes, and they typically have more seeds, too.
Pies In The Sky: Cootie Browns Internet Gambit
On April 26, as the Johnson City Public Building Authority was considering whether to enter into negotiations with one of three entities to build on a vacant lot along State of Franklin Road across from the ETSU parking garage, Cootie Browns owner Tony Vella offered a sweetener. In addition to operating a restaurant that would provide the PBA $34,000 annually in tax revenue, Vella said, his company plans to sell key lime pies online nationwide, with projected gross revenues of $49 million, and all the sales tax will be generated at the State of Franklin address.
Eyebrows were raised and most PBA members said they wanted more concrete information, but agreed that prolonging the process to allow that information to be gathered would not be fair to the other parties involved.
PBA Chair Dr. Jon Smith encouraged board members to not take into the account of collecting the revenue from the pies, because it wasnt a solid and concrete number, yet. When we make decisions, weve got to make them based on concrete, or at least nearly concrete, prospects, he said. And Tony is not this way, but I have run into people that have pitched some of the greatest ideas to me ever, and I am still waiting for some of them to happen. I dont mean to be facetious, but we need to limit ourselves to what is in the near term and practical.
Don’t Miss: Natchitoches Meat Pies For Sale
What Can I Use Instead Of Key Lime Juice
If you cant find fresh key limes, mix equal parts Persian lime juice and fresh lemon juice as a substitute. If you get in a bind and need lime juice concentrate, use Nellie and Joes Key West Lime Juice. It is known to have the most authentic flavor and you can find it in most grocery stores.
**Pro Tip: Key limes are usually available all year long at Trader Joes and Whole Foods. Check with the produce manager at the grocery store you shop at, too. Depending on the season, they may special order them for you. There are also places online where you can buy fresh produce, including key limes. Because of shipping costs, youll typically pay quite a bit more for them, though.**
Copycat Cootie Browns Key Lime Pie
Theres a local restaurant here in Johnson City called Cootie Browns. One of their signature items is the key lime pie. They describe it as, The pie that made Cootie Browns famous! Two rich layers of creamy filling one is smooth & silky, the other is rich & tart. Its so non-traditional and delicious!. Its one of my favorites the other being Orange Cake ). They have good real food too, but anyone whos ever gone out to eat with me knows that I generally order a small entree probably a salad or maybe even a 1/2 order of a salad and then I totally order the biggest dessert on the menu! So its no surprise that my favorite restaurants have really good desserts. I dont always want or have the time to go out so I try to create my favorites at home. It took me several tries, but I think Ive got a pretty good copycat here with the major difference being that I have the layers switched they have their sweet layer on bottom and tart layer on top and mine is just the opposite. The flavors are pretty much identical though. One traditional layer with condensed milk, lime juice, and egg yolks and another nontraditional layer with cream cheese, powdered sugar, and more lime juice. Its best if you let it refrigerate overnight to firm up but as you can see from the photo, Jordan couldnt wait =). Enjoy!
Two-Layer Key Lime Pie1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs3 tbsp sugar1/3 cup melted butter or margarine
14 oz sweetened condensed milk1/2 cup key lime juice3 egg yolks
You May Like: Key Lime Pie Review
More About Brown Keys Keyboard Recipes
AUTHENTIC KEY LIME PIE: AN EASY RECIPE … – BROWN EYED BAKER
- Make the Filling: Whisk the lime zest and egg yolks together in a medium bowl for 2 minutes. Whisk in the sweetened condensed milk, then the lime juice. Set aside at room temperature to thicken while you prepare the crust.
- Make the Crust: In a medium bowl, stir together the graham cracker crumbs, brown sugar, and salt, ensuring no lumps of brown sugar remain. Drizzle the melted butter over the graham cracker mixture and toss to combine with a fork, ensuring that the mixture is evenly moistened. Press the crust mixture evenly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate, and pack tightly using the back of a measuring cup. Bake for 10 minutes transfer to a wire rack to cool to room temperature.
- Once the crust has cooled to room temperature, pour the lime filling into the crust. Bake until the center is set, yet still wiggly when jiggled, 15 to 17 minutes. Return the pie to a wire rack cool to room temperature. Refrigerate until well-chilled, at least 3 hours.
ANDREW ZIMMERN COOKS: WORLDS BEST KEY LIME PIE
FromEstimated Reading Time
QUICK LOOK AT THE LAPTOP KEYBOARD AND WHAT THE KEYS DO …
FAMOUS KEY LIME PIE BY COOTIE BROWN’S – GOLDBELLY
KEY LIME PIE BARS – BROWNED BUTTER BLONDIE
COOTIE BROWN’S KEY LIME PIE – YOUTUBE
EASY KEY LIME BARS – AVERIE COOKS
BROWN SUGAR AND SOY SAUCE BAKED SALMON RECIPE – KEY TO MY LIME