Best Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe is made completely from scratch and is the best chicken pot pie you’ll ever eat. A delicious filling made with a from-scratch sauce is nestled between two layers of flaky, buttery homemade pie crust for a meal your entire family will love.
Is there a more classic, cozy, fall meal than Chicken Pot Pie ? This homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe is made completely from scratch and is the best chicken pot pie you’ll ever eat.
I often find chicken pot pie recipes with lots of processed ingredients – but not this from scratch version! You’ll never used condensed soups or buy a frozen pot pie again after trying this homemade chicken pot pie!
The delicious filling is thick and made with a from-scratch sauce that is never runny! And it’s all enveloped in a homemade double layer pie crust that is flaky and buttery, a meal your entire family will love!
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie is classic comfort food and will warm you up. Its a show-stopping dish with a flaky Pie Crust, filled with saucy chicken and vegetables.
If youve never tried a homemade savory pot pie, you are in for a treat. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
How Long To Bake Chicken Pot Pie
All of the ingredients inside the pot pie are already cooked, so the only thing we are concerned with at this point is the pie crust.
The crust should be fully baked with 45-50 minutes. If the top crust should start to look golden brown before the time is up, simply cover the edges with either a pie shield or with aluminum foil and continue cooking for the allotted amount of time.
There is nothing like a made-from-scratch chicken pot pie. Especially one enveloped in a buttery, flaky, homemade pie crust, decked out with perfectly cooked chicken and vegetables, all smothered in a to-die-for chicken gravy. Please, enjoy!
Also Check: Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth until smooth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick.
- Add peas and parsley to the filling.
- Fit the bottom pie crust into a pie plate.
- Spoon the creamy filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet .
What Do You Eat With Gravy
Good gravy! Im pretty sure the question is what dont you eat with gravy, am I right? This chicken broth gravy goes so good over a number of delicious recipes! For instance:
- Starting with the most obvious, this gravy goes great over chicken, turkey, and evenbeef!
- Pour this gravy over some delicious biscuits, or use the biscuits to dip into the gravy. Either way winner, winner!
- Mashed potatoes. They just ask to be smothered in gravy, in my opinion! Is there any other way to eat them?
- Pour gravy over roasted vegetables. Cuz, why not? Dont knock it till you try it!
- A side of gravy is also good to have on hand at breakfast. It would go especially well with the hashbrowns in this sheet pan breakfast, or this slow cooker casserole.
Also Check: Pinkie Pie Playset
How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie:
2. Sauté veggies: In another saucepan, cook the onions and celery in butter. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, bouillon paste, and celery seed. Add water water and milk. simmer the mixture until it thickens. Add chopped chicken and frozen vegetables to the hot mixture.
3. Add to pie crust: Pour the mixture into your prepared pie crust and cover with the top crust. Prick a few holes in the crust
4. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes.
Faqs About Chicken Pot Pie
How do you keep chicken pie from getting soggy on the bottom?
If you find you have a soggy bottom crust I have two suggestions on how to troubleshoot that: Make sure the filling is cooled slightly before adding it to the bottom crust. Bake the chicken pot pie on the lowest rack in your oven to ensure it bakes thoroughly.
How do I thicken chicken pot pie?
Thankfully the homemade sauce in this chicken pot pie recipes ensures that your final result will be a beautifully thick, not liquidy homemade chicken pot pie!
How long does chicken pot pie last in the fridge?
If you don’t eat it all in 24 hours, this chicken pot pie recipe from scratch will last for 3-5 days when stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can you freeze Homemade Chicken pot pie?
Yes. I recommend baking the entire thing and then putting it in the freezer. To reheat, simply cover the frozen chicken pot pie with foil and warm it in the oven at 375 degrees F for 35-45 minutes.
If you make something from JoyFoodSunshine I would love to see your creations. Follow along with me on , , , and . Tag me in your photos #joyfoodsunshine @joyfoodsunshine Don’t forget to rate this recipe and leave a comment below.
You May Like: Key Lime Pie The Profit
Tips For Making The Best Chicken Pot Pie
- Instead of just one, you can also double the crust such that your pie has one on top and one at the bottom. It will give your pie an additional layer of bread that will soak up the sauce nicely. Double the crust, double the goodness!
- To save time, you can always use a store-bought crust. Guilty as charged.
- Make your pie even richer and more delectable by adding ¾ cup of cheddar cheese. Its amazing how one ingredient can transform an entire meal!
- For an even heartier filling, add some cubed potatoes. Save yourself the trouble of slicing by using frozen country-style hash browns. Adding corn, celery, and broccoli also gives the pie an excellent flavor.
- Make the sauce even more flavorful by adding some cooked onion, garlic powder, parsley, rosemary, thyme, Italian herbs, salt, and pepper. These common pantry seasonings make for an out-of-this-world gravy!
- People normally use leftover chicken for their chicken pot pie, but if do not have any, you can use shredded rotisserie chicken instead. Plus, its an easy way to save time.
- Just because the recipe has chicken in its name does not mean you should only limit yourself to that protein. You can use leftover turkey to make this dish, as well!
- Speaking of modifications, here is a great way to give your pie an earthy flavor: add some mushrooms to the filling!
- Brush the top crust with some egg wash for a golden brown pie.
Tips For Making Chicken Pot Pie:
- This recipe makes enough for about 6 servings
- You can use any oven safe bowl for this. In the past, I’ve used larger bowls. Just make sure, if you use larger bowls or ramekins, you have enough puff pastry to cover them all.
- If you have leftover filling, it can be frozen. I have a small family so I freeze the leftover filling and extra puff pastry and I have another meal ready to go for us later in the month.
- Rotisserie chicken can be used instead of the roasted chicken breasts.
You May Like: Campbells Soup Recipe Chicken Pot Pie
Why Does My Pie Crust Not Cook On The Bottom
Blind-baking baking the pie crust before adding the filling is your answer. Bake your crust, add the filling, and bake until the filling is done. I promise you, the crust wont burn on the bottom the filling will insulate it.
How To Make Crust For Chicken Pot Pie:
I use homemade pie crust for this recipe, since I usually have some on in my freezer. You can use a store-bought pie crust if you want, but watch the cook time because the store-bought crusts are thinner and will brown faster. You may want to cover the crust with tinfoil part way through baking.
To make a homemade crust for chicken pot pie, combine the flour and salt in a medium size bowl. Add the shortening and butter and use a pastry blender to cut everything together until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add ice water, just a tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to clump together.
Form the dough into two balls and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. I have the BEST trick for rolling out pie crust, here.
Read Also: Church’s Chicken Apple Pie
Should You Make Gravy With A Roux Or A Slurry
First, off, lets define the difference between a roux and a slurry:
A roux is made with fat , and flour and is mixed together over heat and it thickens.
A slurry is made from cornstarch and water and is added together cold, then mixed with something hot to make it thicker.
So which is better? If youre in a hurry, a slurry will do, but if you have time, I say make the roux. The fat in the roux goes great with the fat from the chicken drippings in the rest of the gravy recipe.
Who Can Eat This Delicious Recipe
Potbelly Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe is a perfect dish for a healthy diet. Its got low calories, which is ideal for weight loss. It also has high nutrients and lean protein.
If youre a fan of chicken pot pie, you will love this recipe. Its the perfect comfort food for a chilly night.
The recipe is also kid-friendly, so its great for parties and family gatherings. And its easy to make as well.
Amazing Nutrition Facts You Dont Know:
1. Eating cheese is good for the bones because it contains calcium and vitamin D, which are essential for strong bones.
2. Olive oil can lower your cholesterol level in only two weeks. It contains antioxidants and helps with inflammation as well as cardiovascular diseases.
3. Drinking coffee has been proven to reduce the risk of stroke and heart disease and keep you alert and awake.
4. To maintain a healthy weight, try eating white meat instead of red meat.
5. Eating more garlic can help you lower your blood pressure and cholesterol levels. It is an excellent source of manganese too.
6. Fruit juices are high in potassium and low in water content, which helps you feel full for longer periods.
7. A medium apple contains 1/4 cup of sugar, but it is better for your health than drinking regular soda drinks that have 15 teaspoons of sugar in them.
8. Drinking water in place of sugary sodas reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke by 20%.
9. Eating fish is one of the best ways to lower your cholesterol and become more heart-healthy. It is full of omega-3 fatty acids essential for your heart health.
Let’s Make A Keto Pot Pie
Now that the bottom crust and gravy are ready it’s time to finish making the keto pot pie.
Pour the gravy, meat, and vegetables into the pie crust, being careful to not let it overflow.
Roll out the other half of the fathead dough and place it on top of the gravy, meat, and vegetables. Poke a few holes around the top so the steam has a way to escape.
Bake for 15 minutes, or until the top crust turns golden brown.
You May Like: Popeyes Apple Pie Recipe
What Makes The Best Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Ever
Some might call it cheating, but there is only a top crust in this chicken pot pie recipe. Which is a big part of why we like it!
I’m even a big fan of pie crust, but I feel like the crust-to-filling ratio is better, and you don’t have to worry about the bottom crust being undercooked or soggy with just a top crust. Don’t be intimidated by making pie crust from scratch. I promise it’s not as hard as you think!
You can make an easy chicken pot pie by using a pre-made refrigerated crust, but there is a definite difference when the whole thing is homemade.
The other factor making this the best homemade chicken pot pie recipe ever is that perfect gravy that isn’t too thick or gummy and is loaded with all my favorite pot pie fillings.
This homemade chicken pot pie recipe is packed full of classic pot pie vegetables – celery, carrots, onion, and peas. It is perfectly and simply seasoned with thyme, salt and pepper. And a little flour and cream help thicken the sauce and make a wonderfully rich filling that isn’t overly heavy.
You can use leftover chicken, a Costco rotisserie chicken, or leftover turkey. But when I don’t happen to already have leftover chicken on hand, I will just boil a few pieces of chicken in water on the stovetop until cooked, then chop that up to use in our chicken pot pie.
Substitutions For This Casserole Recipe:
If you can have dairy in all its forms, feel free to sub in real butter for the ghee, and milk or heavy cream for the dairy free milk.
Tapioca and arrowroot flour are also interchangeable, for the chicken layer and the biscuits.
You can also change out peas for another frozen vegetable like broccoli florets or zucchini if you prefer.
I hope youre ready for a seriously delicious, hearty, easy and oh-so-cozy chicken pot pie casserole that will make everyone happy in your house!
Grab your ingredients and your favorite casserole dish because its time to cook lets go!
Recommended Reading: Maud Pie Plush
What To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie
I know I said that chicken pot pie is by itself a complete meal, but why not transform this simple dinner into a lip-smackingly good feast. There are many flavors that go well with this dish, you will never run out of things to pair it with. Here are some of my favorite options:
- Cranberry sauce gives this meal a Thanksgiving feel anytime of year. But Im not talking about that dreadful stuff from the can. You can whip up fresh, homemade cranberry sauce in no time.
Combine 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup white sugar, and 1/2 cup brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is fully dissolved. Add in the cranberries and cook until the cranberries start to pop. Generally takes about 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and pour the cranberry sauce in a bowl. Will thicken as it cools. Add a few pinches of cinnamon for an extra tasty combo.
- A light salad is a nice way to counter-balance the richness of the pie. Your choice of leafy greens topped with citrus oranges and berries, rich cheese, crunchy nuts, and drizzled with tangy balsamic vinaigrette makes a spectacular side to your chicken pot pie.
- Roasted broccoli is another side that will lighten up your heavy main dish. Give these veggies some extra flavor by coating it with olive oil and Parmesan cheese.
- Sweet potatoes give a nice contrast to your savory dinner. Flavor it with cinnamon, butter, and your choice of seasonings and bake. Simple and delicious.