Directions To Make Chicken Pot Pie With Potatoes:
There are a few steps to go through to make your pot pie filling. But dont be intimidated, they are quite simple and it comes together in about five minutes time.
First, start by cooking your onion and garlic in olive oil.
Remove those and set aside to be added back later.
Next make a roux by simply melting butter and then whisking in flour.
In goes the softened cream cheese. Its going to look like a thick, lumpy, mistake. Dont worry, youre on track still.
Now its time to start adding liquids. Gently pour in chicken broth and whisk to combine and smooth out mixture.
Make sure to keep whisking to smooth it all together. Add your seasonings.
Then in goes milk, and more whisking, followed by cream and, you guessed it, more whisking. Make sure to taste test to see if you need any more salt, pepper, thyme or other seasonings.
Finally, its time to add our veggies and chicken, as well as return the onions and garlic to the filling.
While this delicious goodness is simmering, I prepare my pie crust.
Which means I open the box and roll it out. Were saving time here, people!
Youll notice my pie crust doesnt come all the way up the edges. Given that this really serves up more like a chicken pot pie casserole than a slice of pie, this is okay with me. If you want to make those edges perfect, you do you.
Top with the remaining pie crust. I cut four small slits into the center to give steam a chance to escape.
To Make These Homemade Chicken Pot Pies You Will Need:
- diced cooked chicken
- low-sodium chicken broth or stock
- whole milk
- pie dough
I always make the pie dough in the morning on the day I plan to make the pot pies. Just to get it out of the way. I roll the dough out and use a knife to trace a bowl thats slightly larger than the ramekins Im using. I layer them on parchment paper placed in a rimmed sheet pan and keep them in the fridge.
I also bake a few potatoes, let them cool completely and dice them. I bake my potatoes at 350° for about an hour. Sometimes I even do this a day or two in advance as theyre easier to dice when cold.
Lets start on the filling!
Heat a dutch oven on medium and melt 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
Dice 1 carrot, 2 stalks of celery and 1 medium yellow onion and add them in with a pinch of kosher salt.
Sauté the veggies until tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
Once softened, add the remaining 5 tablespoons of butter along with a teaspoon of fresh thyme. Stir and cook for a minute or until the butter has melted.
Next add in the half cup of flour and stir, cooking the flour for about 2 minutes.
And then pour in the 3 cups of the broth and 1-1/2 cups of whole milk. Simmer until thick, about 15 minutes.
Once the pot pie gravy or sauce has thickened, remove off of the heat and add in 3 cups diced cooked chicken, 3/4 cup of frozen peas, 3/4 cup frozen sweet corn and 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley.
Plus, this way it ensures there is potato in every pot pie.
ps. it smells. so. good.
More Southern Chicken Recipes
- Southern Fried Chicken When someone says Southern Comfort Food, the first thing that comes to mind is fried chicken. Now, not every recipe is worthy of being called comfort food, but this spicy and mouthwatering recipe is.
- Chicken ala King marries different veggies, mushrooms, and chopped chicken all in a thick, flavorful, and creamy sauce.
- Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup this rich and creamy recipe uses my secret weapon for a flavorful broth, evaporated milk. Why water your soup down with plain milk? Add some inventive spices and breathe in the wonderful aroma deeply.
- Nashville Hot Chicken The crispy, crunchy coating and flavor-packed hot sauce make this dish perfect for game day or any day.
Also Check: Recipe For Muslim Bean Pie
How To Make Sure The Bottom Pie Crust Is Cooked
I didnt do anything fancy to make sure the bottom crust was cooked, but here are a few tips that might help you out if you are worried about it.
- Place your pie on a lower baking rack. Having the pie closer to the heat source will concentrate the heat at the bottom of the pie. The bottom crust is important, and you dont want it to be soggy.
- Place your pie on a hot cookie sheet. While you are assembling your pie, put a cookie sheet in the oven and preheat it. Then you are ready to bake, set your pie on the preheated cookie sheet. This helps make the dough impermeable to the pie filling.
- Put your filling into your pie nice and hot. If the filling is hot, it will actually start cooking the crust immediately before it even goes into the oven and reduce the sogginess.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie From Scratch
Prepare the Veggies
- Preheat the oven to 400°F/204.
- Saute veggies Heat butter or oil in a large pot over medium heat. Then add onions, celery, thyme, garlic, and carrots. Cook and stir for about about 6-7 minutes, until tender.
Prepare the Filling
- Make the roux Stir in flour until flour has been fully incorporated, stirring for about a minute. Gradually stir in half and half and broth.
- Make the gravy Bring to a boil, stirring constantly cook and stir for about 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbles.
Add the chicken Gradually add in chicken, peas, parsley, Creole seasoning remove from heat. Adjust salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste.
- Prepare the pie crust Unroll pie crusts. Cover the bottom of the casserole and reserve the rest for the top.
- Add the filling Place chicken mixture into a 2-quart casserole dish or desired baking dish. Cover with remaining pastry. Trim, seal, and flute edges.
- Egg wash Brush with egg wash mixture.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and filling is bubbly and cooked through.
- Mini Homemade Chicken Pot Pies in Ramekins If you want to make mini pot pies, heres the photo.
Recommended Reading: Campbells Soup Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
This pot pie recipe is a weekend affair meaning, you should put on some music and set aside some time to make this! Your time will be well rewarded. There is nothing like the taste of homemade, from-scratch chicken pot pie.
Here are the basic steps:
Tips For This Recipe:
- This pot pie gets assembled and baked in a 10-inch cast iron skillet. If you dont have a cast iron skillet you can use any deep-sided skillet, or you can make the filling in a saucepan and transfer it to a deep dish pie plate or baking dish.
- You’ll need to make this Gluten Free Pie Crust before beginning this recipe . You’ll only need a half batch of the dough, but you can freeze the other half or use it in an Apple Galette, Strawberry Galette or SavorySpinach Galette.
- Youll need one rotisserie chicken for this recipe, or you can use leftover shredded chicken or turkey.
- For a vegetarian pot pie, swap out the chicken for 3 cups of roasted vegetables .
- Creme fraiche gives the stew a slight creaminess and a subtle tang that balances the savory flavors, but you can swap it out for full-fat sour cream or heavy cream .
*This post contains Amazon and other affiliate links to products I use and love . Thank you for supporting From Scratch Fast!
Read Also: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Crust. See notes on this All Butter Pie Crust Recipe for substitutions on the crust ingredients.
- Cooked chicken breasts. I most often use diced rotisserie chicken. You can use leftover grilled chicken, shred chicken in the crockpot or on the stovetop . You can also use leftover turkey after Thanksgiving!
- Red potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes are a great substitute if you don’t have red potatoes.
- Carrots, Celery, Peas, Corn. You can add or subtract just about any of the veggies in this recipe and use your favorites with great results.
- Better Than Bouillon. This is a pretty important ingredient in this chicken pot pie recipe. It is my favorite chicken base and imparts the best flavor. You can use another brand or bouillon cubes or chicken broth/stock, but be warned it won’t taste exactly the same.
- 2% milk. Whole or 1% milk work well, I do not recommend using fat-free milk.
- All-purpose flour. You can sub gluten-free all-purpose flour if desired. Also bread flour works well in a pinch.
- Egg Wash. Optional but recommended. You can use just an egg yolk or just cream if desired, but I find a combination works the best.
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Now let’s chat about the filling. It’s a simple made-from-scratch mixture of diced or shredded chicken, celery, onion, peas, carrots and corn, all in a creamy white sauce that’s thickened with a roux. I use frozen peas and carrots, as well as frozen corn kernels, but you can substitute with 2 ½ cups of any mixed vegetables that you like.
Youll need a total of about 3 cups of cooked, shredded or diced chicken for this recipe, and a variety of options will work. Pick the most convenient method for you:
- Boiled and Pulled Chicken: Boil about 1 ½ lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs until cooked through . When cool enough to handle, chop or pull the chicken.
- Rotisserie Chicken: This is a great shortcut! Purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat, and use in the recipe as instructed.
- Leftover Chicken: If you have leftover grilled or baked chicken from a previous meal, put those extras to good use in this dish.
Read Also: Key West Chocolate
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Gravy From Scratch
Did you know that the classic sauce for chicken pot pie is actually a gravy? Yes! It consists of flour, oil, and chicken broth. There are no thickeners like canned soup or cream cheese in this pot pie recipe. You simply dont need them. Flour is all you need for a thickener, and your gravy will be rich, savory, and exactly what you would expect in a traditional filling.
Side note: If you love this American classic, youll also love Chicken a la King! The sauce comes together just like that of Chicken Pot Pie, only theres no crust or bake time its served over rice, pasta, or even biscuits!
To make sauce from scratch for chicken pot pie, youll sprinkle the flour over vegetables that have been sauteed in oil. Once the flour begins to look somewhat glossy youll add in your chicken broth a splash at a time. This method ensures a smooth and luscious gravy every time. Youll continue to add in small increments until the mixture starts to resemble a pudding-like texture, at which point you can add the remaining liquid and let it simmer until slightly thickened.
If youve never made a homemade sauce like this before, fear not this method is foolproof for making gravy.
Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
If youre craving comfort food, homemade chicken pot pie is your answer! This completely from scratch recipe is simple to prepare, features a double crust, and nourishes the soul. For step-by-step photos, scroll to the bottom of this page.
When Im craving a meal thats truly comforting, this double crust chicken pot pie recipe hits the spot. It satisfies the soul and, is surprisingly simple to throw together. Well use my favorite homemade pie crust recipe for a sturdy crust on the bottom and a golden brown, flaky cloak on top. In between the pie crust layers is a mixture of chicken and veggies topped with a creamy, rich white gravy that is flavored with a little cooked onion, salt, pepper, and thyme. Lets get started!
Read Also: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Chicken Pot Pie Variations
- Pie Crust: I love using my homemade pie crust recipe for todays chicken pot pie. Using a combination of butter and shortening yields the flakiest, most tender and buttery crust. For a pie crust made without shortening, try my all butter pie crust. Store bought pie crust or even puff pastry also work!
- Meats: Turkey works wonderfully instead of chicken. If using precooked meat, simply skip the boiling and cook the carrots and celery with the onion and butter.
- Vegetables: Try adding corn when you add the peas. Feel free to add 1 diced Yukon gold potato cook until soft with the onion and butter. You can also throw in a cup of sliced mushrooms add them when you cook the onion and butter. I wouldnt add ALL of these veggies though as there isnt enough gravy for it all. Stick to 2 cups of veggies + 1 potato or less.
- Spices: Taste and season this pot pie how you like! Try adding fresh chopped parsley, a pinch of celery seed, or even a little rosemary . As long as there is salt and pepper , the extra seasoning in the pot pie is up to you.
- optional: sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish
The Best Crust For Chicken Pot Pie:
In a pinch, this recipe will work with a store-bought double pie crust, but we highly recommend using a homemade all-butter Pie Crust. It is 5 ingredients and takes just minutes to make. You can also make it a couple of days ahead.
Our homemade crust rolls out easily and it never gets soggy when baked. The bottom stays crisp without needing to pre-bake. We use this same pie crust for savory and sweet pies like Apple Pie, our juicy Cherry Pie and Blueberry Pie.
Also Check: Damngood Pies