How Do You Know When Pumpkin Pie Is Done Baking
The classic knife test is the easiest and most foolproof way to tell if your pumpkin pie is done. Simply insert a knife near the center of the pie. If the knife comes out clean, your pie is done. The only downside to the knife test is that it leaves a crack where the knife was inserted into the filling.
So What Makes The Best Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
So I learned a few things in testing and creating this recipe:
- Blind baking the crust will keep you from ending up with a soft and gooey pie crust.
- Using baked sweet potatoes instead of boiled sweet potatoes concentrates their flavor rather then ending up with water logged boiled sweet potatoes.
- Browning the salted butter adds adds some depth of flavor to the pie filling. Salted browned butter and sweet potato were made to go together
- Keeping it light on the spices lets the sweet potato flavor shine.
- I personally preferred the classic texture of using mashed by hand sweet potatoes vs. those pureed in a food processor.
- The lightly caramelized flavor of evaporated milk was preferred to the flavor of milk or cream.
- Tent pie crust edges with foil to prevent over-browning.
- And being careful not to over-bake the pie prevented deep cracks from happening .
This is easily my favorite sweet potato pie recipe! And I prefer the marshmallow topping for that nostalgic flavor combination, plus I feel thats what will really set it apart from pumpkin pie but feel free to use either whipped cream or marshmallow topping.
If you use the marshmallow topping youll want to prepare and toast it when its time to serve , so its nice and fluffy.
Recipe Tips And Tricks
- How to serve: Theres no right or wrong way to enjoy sweet potato pie, but it tastes delicious when topped with whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. You can also drizzle it with honey, maple syrup, or a brown sugar glaze if you have an insatiable sweet tooth.
- How to store: Cover the pie in plastic cling wrap or transfer to an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- How to freeze: Sweet potato pie can be frozen for up to 1-2 months. For easy eating, pre-portion into slices before freezing. Wrap tightly in plastic cling wrap and place in a freezer bag or airtight container.
You May Like: Fried Key Lime Pie Key West
Cool And Securely Wrap
Follow instructions for your favorite sweet potato pie recipe and, once the pie is baked, let it cool completely on a wire rack at room temperature. This may take two to three hours you don’t want to feel any warmth when you touch the bottom of the pie pan. Once thoroughly cooled, wrap and seal the pie in several layers of plastic wrap. For added protection against freezer burn, follow up this step with a layer of aluminum foil or even newspaper, folded around the pie and taped around the edges. Freeze the pie for up to a month.
How To Cook Perfect Shepherd’s Pie With Sweet Potatoes
Shepherd’s pie with sweet potatoes. This Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie recipe is healthy, easy to make, and so scrumptious. The perfect fall recipe and the ultimate comfort food that can be on your dinner table in no time. Layered vegan shepherd’s pie delivers a rich filling of lentils, ginger, tomato, and warm spices under a coconut milk and sweet potato mash.
The base is a simple mixture of vegetables and lentils simmered with fresh thyme in vegetable broth until tender and flavorful. The sweet potatoes bake in the oven for a while but it’s really a hands-off element to the dish. And then The filling is made on the stove top. You can have Shepherd’s pie with sweet potatoes using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Don’t Miss: The Profit Key Lime Pie Full Episode
A Delicious Sweet Potato Dessert
Sweet potato desserts are absolutely amazing and I love swapping out traditional pumpkin with sweet potato. Sweet potato pie seems to be more popular in the south however, my northern family members have definitely been converted after eating this pie! This particular Sweet Potato Pie recipe is one that has been perfected over the years to get the spices just right. In addition, I’ve also started making it easier by microwaving the sweet potatoes rather than boiling or baking them. Also, if you enjoy pumpkin pie then you will certainly enjoy this pie since the texture and spices are similar. If you are looking for that flavorful dessert to impress your guests this year, then you need to make this Sweet Potato Pie recipe.
How To Store And Freeze
- To Store. Gently cover your pie, and store it in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Let come to room temperature prior to serving.
- To Freeze. Tightly wrap your cooked and cooled pie in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and store in a freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag for up to 3 months. Let the pie thaw for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator before serving.
Read Also: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Make The Sweet Potato Pie Filling
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment , beat the butter and brown sugar on medium speed until the mixture is moistened and crumbly, about 1 minute.
Beat in the egg.
Then add the yolks, one at a time, until the mixture is creamy and smooth, a few minutes.
Add the vanilla, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger beat until just combined.
Add 1¾ cups of the mashed sweet potatoes .
Mix to combine.
Finally, add the evaporated milk.
Mix on low speed to combine.
Pour the sweet potato filling into the pie crust and smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
How To Make Sweet Potato Pie:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. First, poke holes all over the sweet potatoes and place them in a microwave-safe place. Microwave for 5 minutes flipping the potatoes over halfway through. Poke a knife through the potato, if there is no resistance they are ready, if not place them back in the microwave in 30-second intervals until soft. Let the potatoes cool to room temperature. Then remove the peels off the potatoes and place them in a large bowl. Nest, whip the potatoes with an electric hand mixer until smooth.
Add in the butter and mix until combined.
Now add the brown sugar and granulated sugar, mix until smooth.
Next add the eggs and mix until smooth.
Then, add the heavy cream, flour, lemon juice, vanilla, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and nutmeg, mix until smooth and combined, scrape the sides if needed.
Place the pie crust into a pie plate and crimp the edge.
Add the filling and smooth out the top.
Bake for 45-50 minutes until set. It might be the slightest bit jiggly. It is ready when a butter knife inserted into the center comes out mostly clean. Or, an internal temperature reaches 175°F.
Finally, let the pie cool to room temperature before slicing to serve, or chill first.
You May Like: Marcus Lemonis Key Lime Pie Company
To Use Butter Or Shortening Or Lard
Basically, the debate exists on whether to use butter, shortening, lard or some combination for the flakiest, best-tasting pie crust. I like a combination of butter and shortening for pie crusts. The shortening helps it to be super flaky, tender and sturdy, while the butter gives it the delicious buttery flavor. The combination results in a delicious, flaky, yet perfectly sturdy crust that works for even heavier pie fillings.
Do You Use Yams Or Sweet Potatoes For Sweet Potato Pie
Yams that are found in US grocery stores are a type of sweet potato. True yams are often not found around the US except in specialty markets. US yams are higher in sugar content and get very soft when they bake.
Sweet potatoes are starchier and are better for cooking and frying because they keep their shape. Yams are great to use for sweet potato pies and other baked goods. You can use either for this recipe.
Don’t Miss: The Key Lime Pie Company
How To Make Homemade Pie Crust
Prepare your pie plate by buttering it, then set it aside.
In a large bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in butter and shortening with a pastry blender or two forks until the mixture resembles a coarse meal. Gradually add enough ice water while mixing with a wooden spoon until a ball of dough is formed.
Pour the dough ball out onto a lightly floured sheet of plastic wrap and form into a disc. Lightly flour the pie dough disc and place another sheet of plastic wrap over the top of it. Roll from the center until pie dough is about & frac18 inch thick.
Remove the top piece of plastic wrap, fold the dough over and lay across the pie plate and remove the bottom piece of plastic wrap. Press the pie dough lightly into the bottom and sides of the pie plate. Cover the pie plate with a piece of the plastic wrap and place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to overnight.
Then simply fill your pie crust with your chosen pie filling and bake according to the pie recipe.
To blind-bake: If you are making a pie that requires a pre-baked crust, use a fork and lightly prick the bottom and sides of the pie crust. Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for about 8 minutes.
How To Make Pie Crust Without A Food Processor
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl and whisk together.
- Grate one cup of FROZEN butter into the dry mixture. Toss with flour as you go so the butter doesnt clump up.
- Use two knives to mix the butter and flour mixture.
- Drizzle in the ice water and mix together with the knives or forks.
- Press the shaggy dough into a disk and knead a couple of times.
- Cover in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
Recommended Reading: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit
Tips For Baking Sweet Potatoes
- Select similar sized sweet potatoes.
- Do not let them touch while cooking.
- Do not wrap them for cooking as this will trap the steam and cause the skin to be too soft. Only wrap is using them in another dish where the skin will be discarded, such as sweet potato casserole.
- An instant read thermometer should register between 205º F and 212º F in the thickest portion of the potato when perfectly cooked.
More Easy Dessert Recipes
- Prepare pie crust according to your recipe or package directions.
- Sweet Potato Pie is best when it has cooled, so wait to serve it.
- The best sweet potato pie is made at least a day ahead and chilled. Remove from the fridge at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Dont boil the sweet potatoes or they will take on too much liquid and the filling will be soggy.
Don’t Miss: How To Make A Pie Chart In Google Docs
Whats In Sweet Potato Pie
For best results start with baked sweet potatoes .
DAIRY Add a little butter, sugar, evaporated milk, and eggs, and sweet potato pie bakes up light and moist every time!
SPICES The absolutely delicious favorite spice of autumn stars in this recipe. Dont forget the pumpkin pie spice, it pulls it all together to create a perfect flavor combination.
VARIATIONS Add a dash of maple syrup or brown sugar instead of white for a different depth of flavor. Or use a graham cracker crust instead of a plain one!
What Ingredients Are Needed To Make This Easy Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
See the recipe card below for ingredient quantities.
Also Check: Bean Pie Recipe Muhammad Speaks
Where Should Oven Rack Be When Baking A Pie
A pies place in the oven is on the bottom rack. The worst mistake you can make with your pie is under- baking the bottom crustit makes for a soggy, doughy mess. Baking your pie on the bottom rack will ensure that bottom crust gets nice and golden brown. Speaking of which: bake your pie in a glass pie dish.
How Do You Know When Sweet Potato Pie Is Done
To determine if your Sweet Potato Pie is fully cooked and ready to pull from the oven, give it a gentle nudge! If the center of the pie jiggles ever so slightly, its ready to come out!
If you want to get specific with it, you can take the internal temperature of the pie using an instant-read probe thermometer. The pie is fully cooked when it reaches 175°F!
As mentioned above, the pie needs to finish cooking during the cooling process, so do not attempt to cut into it right away! For best results, allow for four hours of resting time minimum!
MORE SWEET POTATO RECIPES YOULL LOVE:
Don’t Miss: The Profit Key Lime Pie
Whats The Difference Between Sweet Potato Pie And Pumpkin Pie
Sweet potato and pumpkin pie are both members of the custard pie family. Custard pies are based on a mixture of eggs, dairy, and sugar. Technically you could swap the pumpkin for sweet potato purée in any pumpkin pie recipe and make a sweet potato pie. However, traditional sweet potato pie has a higher purée-to-custard ratio, fewer spices, and more vanilla. Like a lot of recipes with a Southern heritage, sweet potato pie relies on canned milk. In our recipe we use evaporated milk, which makes for a custard pie with a lighter and creamier texture.