Yummy Variations For Chicken Pot Pie Filling
- Use a homemade chicken gravy instead of the cans of store-bought gravy.
- Use cooked turkey instead of the chicken. I love making turkey pot pies with leftover turkey and gravy from Thanksgiving.
- To make a vegetarian version you can use chickpeas instead of chicken, use a vegetarian gravy and a vegetarian pie crust
- Add in 1 cup of heavy cream to make the recipe creamier
- Mix it up by adding in other favorite vegetables such as onions, mushrooms, celery, green beans, corn, mixed frozen veggies, etc.
- Use diced beef instead of chicken, and change chicken gravy to a beef gravy for a beef pot pie.
- Instead of the chicken pot pie with Rotisserie chicken you can substitute baked, slow-cooked, sauteed or instant pot cooked chicken.
Make Ahead And Freezer Friendly Recipe
The best part about this Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is that it is easily freezable! I have made it in a variety of different combinations.
When I made this for my freezer meal exchange group years ago, they raved about it. Just about everyone wanted a copy of the recipe because their families loved it too! It has since been my go to recipe for friends in need after having a baby, going through treatment for an illness or injury or loss of a family member.
I also like to have extra on hand in my own freezer for when we want a delicious comfort meal that is easy!
Classic Chicken Pot Pie
If you are looking for an old fashioned, traditional chicken pot pie, made from a whole chicken, freshly cut vegetables, and a flaky homemade crust, this is it!
This chicken pot pie recipe is also known as “Mrs. Hering’s Chicken Pot Pie” in the , from the famed Chicago . First introduced to customers in 1890, it was this Marshall’s chicken pot pie that launched the dish into our national consciousness.
Don’t Miss: Chocolate Pecan Pie For Sale
Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
If youre craving comfort food, homemade chicken pot pie is your answer! This completely from scratch recipe is simple to prepare, features a double crust, and nourishes the soul. For step-by-step photos, scroll to the bottom of this page.
When Im craving a meal thats truly comforting, this double crust chicken pot pie recipe hits the spot. It satisfies the soul and, is surprisingly simple to throw together. Well use my favorite homemade pie crust recipe for a sturdy crust on the bottom and a golden brown, flaky cloak on top. In between the pie crust layers is a mixture of chicken and veggies topped with a creamy, rich white gravy that is flavored with a little cooked onion, salt, pepper, and thyme. Lets get started!
Overview: How To Make Double Crust Chicken Pot Pie
For the full recipe and lots of step-by-step photos to walk you through the process, scroll to the bottom of this page.
Craving a different variation? This biscuit vegetable pot pie isnt your typical classic pot pie recipe, but its quicker and easier.
Also Check: Plastic Pie Containers With Lids
Is It Better To Freeze Chicken Pot Pie Cooked Or Uncooked
A Pot Pie in Every Freezer. Hearty pot pies prepared and frozen can be future timesavers for busy moms. While you can freeze either baked or unbaked chicken pot pies, the unbaked dish promises more cooking success. A frozen baked crust turns soggy once you bake the pie because ice crystals leave moisture in the crust.
Tips From The Pillsbury Kitchens
- tip 1 Make a foil collar to protect the edges of the pastry from overbrowning. Place strips of foil to cover crust during the last 15 or 20 minutes of baking.
- tip 2 A standard 9-inch glass pie plate works best for this recipe.
- tip 3 The only complicated part of making a pot pie is the pastry. By using a refrigerated dough youre left with making a quick, savory gravy that can be filled with leftover cooked chicken, turkey, or ham and a good handful of veggies. A dash of poultry seasoning or some finely chopped fresh sage will enhance the flavor of the sauce.
- tip 4 To Make Chicken Filling Ahead: prepare as directed in recipe. Spoon into airtight container cover. Refrigerate up to 1 day. To bake, pour filling into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
- tip 5 To Freeze Chicken Filling: prepare as directed in recipe. Cool, uncovered in refrigerator 30 minutes. Spoon mixture into 1-gallon freezer food storage plastic bag, leaving 1/2 to 1-inch at top of bag for expansion seal. Freeze up to 1 month. To bake, thaw mixture overnight in refrigerator. Pour into 2-quart saucepan, heat over medium heat, 5 to 6 minutes, stirring frequently or until thoroughly heated. Assemble, fill and bake pie as directed in recipe.
Also Check: Frozen Key Lime Pie On A Stick
Chicken Pot Pie Variations
- Pie Crust: I love using my homemade pie crust recipe for todays chicken pot pie. Using a combination of butter and shortening yields the flakiest, most tender and buttery crust. For a pie crust made without shortening, try my all butter pie crust. Store bought pie crust or even puff pastry also work!
- Meats: Turkey works wonderfully instead of chicken. If using precooked meat, simply skip the boiling and cook the carrots and celery with the onion and butter.
- Vegetables: Try adding corn when you add the peas. Feel free to add 1 diced Yukon gold potato cook until soft with the onion and butter. You can also throw in a cup of sliced mushrooms add them when you cook the onion and butter. I wouldnt add ALL of these veggies though as there isnt enough gravy for it all. Stick to 2 cups of veggies + 1 potato or less.
- Spices: Taste and season this pot pie how you like! Try adding fresh chopped parsley, a pinch of celery seed, or even a little rosemary . As long as there is salt and pepper , the extra seasoning in the pot pie is up to you.
- optional: sprigs of fresh thyme for garnish
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For a pretty finish to the crust, brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle lightly with a coarse salt.
- tip 2 Use the small cutters to create steam vents in the top crust or just cut slits in the pastry with the tip of a paring knife.
- tip 3 For a lump-free white sauce, use a medium wire whisk to stir in the flour and then to constantly stir the sauce as you pour in the broth and milk.
- tip 4 To roll the pie crust rounds into a square, place the pastry on a lightly floured counter, pastry cloth or sheet of parchment paper. Then, carefully press the pastry into more of a square shape before rolling it into a 13-inch square. next, fold the dough in half and lay it into half of the baking dish. Finally, unfold it and gently press it into the corners of the pan to create the bottom crust, being careful not to stretch it. The dough should extend just a little over the edges.
- tip 5 Swap in 1 1/2 cups of any frozen vegetable combo for the peas and carrots, slicing larger pieces into smaller pieces so they blend more evenly in the sauce.
Recommended Reading: How To Make Apple Pie
How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie:
2. Sauté veggies: In another saucepan, cook the onions and celery in butter. Add flour, salt, pepper, garlic powder, bouillon paste, and celery seed. Add water water and milk. simmer the mixture until it thickens. Add chopped chicken and frozen vegetables to the hot mixture.
3. Add to pie crust: Pour the mixture into your prepared pie crust and cover with the top crust. Prick a few holes in the crust
4. Bake the pie for 30-35 minutes.
How Do I Make An Iced Cake
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Put the iced cake in the oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. Cook for about 1 hour. When the knife that enters the entrance to the cake comes out clean, it means that the cake is ready. If the cake starts to brown before it is completely baked, reduce the temperature to 25 degrees.
Recommended Reading: Lazy Dog Chicken Pot Pie
How To Make Crust For Chicken Pot Pie:
I use homemade pie crust for this recipe, since I usually have some on in my freezer. You can use a store-bought pie crust if you want, but watch the cook time because the store-bought crusts are thinner and will brown faster. You may want to cover the crust with tinfoil part way through baking.
To make a homemade crust for chicken pot pie, combine the flour and salt in a medium size bowl. Add the shortening and butter and use a pastry blender to cut everything together until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Add ice water, just a tablespoon at a time, until the dough begins to clump together.
Form the dough into two balls and chill in the refrigerator for about 2 hours. I have the BEST trick for rolling out pie crust, here.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth until smooth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick.
- Add peas and parsley to the filling.
- Fit the bottom pie crust into a pie plate.
- Spoon the creamy filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet .
You May Like: Pie Company Traverse City Michigan
Assemble The Pot Pies
- Distribute the filling evenly among six ovenproof bowls or ramekins that are 2 to 3 inches deep and hold at least 2 cups.
Let the dough soften slightly at room temperature, about 20 minutes. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 1/8-inch-thick rectangle. With a round cookie cutter , cut 6 dough circles that are slightly wider than the inner diameter of the bowls . Cut one small X in the center of each circle.
Top each bowl of stew with a dough round. With your fingertips, gently press the dough down into the edge of the stew, so that it flares up the sides of the bowl.
Can You Cook Chicken Pie From Frozen
To bake from frozen, preheat oven to 400°F. Place pot pie on a baking sheet, place in middle rack of oven and bake, covered for 30 minutes. Bake at 400°F, covered for 20 minutes. Remove the foil from the pie, then continue baking for 35 minutes or until top of pie is golden and inside is bubbling.
Recommended Reading: Apple Pie Baked In A Paper Bag
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
This homemade Chicken Pot Pie is classic comfort food and will warm you up. Its a show-stopping dish with a flaky Pie Crust, filled with saucy chicken and vegetables.
If youve never tried a homemade savory pot pie, you are in for a treat. Watch the video tutorial and see how easy it is.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure policy.
We love easy chicken dinners from Instant Pot Whole Chicken to Chicken Tortilla Soup. If you are looking for chicken recipes the whole family will love, this Chicken Pot Pie Recipe is a must-try!
The Best Classic Chicken Pot Pie
The Best Classic Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Homemade chicken pot pie with flaky pie crust and creamy chicken pot pie filling. Classic comfort food!
This chicken pot pie recipe is loaded with flavor. Its got flaky pie crust and a buttery creamy chicken pot pie filling with chicken breast, a mix of fresh and frozen vegetables, and a mix of dried and fresh herbs.
I initially wanted to make an easy chicken pot pie. So, I started out using refrigerated pie dough, all frozen vegetables, and all dried herbs. That was easy, but it really needed some bright fresh flavors.
So, instead of making the easiest recipe, I decided to make the BEST chicken pot pie recipe.
Using fresh vegetables and some fresh herbs in the filling gives this pot pie so much flavor that its ok to take a short-cut with the crust and use a pre-made refrigerated pie crust.
Of course, if you have the time to make your own homemade pie crust, that would be amazing too.
Recommended Reading: Deep Dish Glass Pie Pan
How To Make A Chicken Pot Pie The Easy Way
Heres what youre gonna do.
Chop up some Rotisserie chicken, add it to a large bowl. Add in frozen diced hash-brown potatoes, frozen mixed peas & carrots, a little bit of diced onion and two jars of store-bought chicken gravy. Then give it all a nice big stir.
Unroll the package of store-bought pie crusts, add the bottom crusts to your pie plates. Add chicken pot pie filling into pie crusts.
Add top pie crusts on top, seal the pie edges and poke some holes on top. Then you can choose to bake it right away, place it in the refrigerator to bake later or freeze it.
Done! This super easy chicken pot pie with pie crust only takes 15 minutes to prep, and another 40-45 minutes to bake. Dinner done in an hour!
How Long Can You Keep This In The Fridge
You can keep your kfc chicken pot pie recipe fresh and yummy in the fridge for up to 4 days when stored properly meaning, wrap your pot pies in plastic wrap or foil.
To reheat, pop them in the oven until crispy, or use your toaster oven! Its best not to use a microwave, though the foil pie tin will spark!
You May Like: Old Fashioned Sweet Potato Pie