The Secret Ingredient That Makes It Amazing
Now, I know many people have a pot pie soup they love, but there is a secret ingredient that elevates this soup to a whole new level of soup awesomeness.
So here it is, the secret shared from my friend Zora to you.Montreal steak seasoning! Its a spice mix with all kinds of flavors that really gives this chicken pot pie soup an amazing flavor.
For a cozy and delicious bowl of soup, you have to give this recipe a try. Its sure to be a hit at your house, too.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie
It only takes about an hour to make and takes like your grandma spent hours making it in her kitchen.
Recommended Reading: How To Cook Tortilla Soup
What Should I Top Chicken Pot Pie Soup With
Chicken pot pie soup would just be fabulous creamy chicken soup if it wasnt for the topping! To elevate the soup to chicken pot pie soup, serve it with biscuits, oyster crackers or pie crust crackers. Pie crust crackers are exactly what the sound like, crackers made from pie crust! They definitely are the way to go for the complete pot pie experience, but the other options are tasty too because sometimes all you want to do is pop a can of biscuits and bake!
- Pie crust crackers: To make these easy crackers, you can you use this fabulous homemade pie crust recipeor just pick up some store bought pie crust. To make, roll the crust out onto parchment paper or non slip silicone mat. Lightly brush the pie crust with some melted butter and lightly sprinkle with some salt. Cut into thick strips. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the strips are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature, then break into pieces. Now you have pie crust crackers!
- Homemade biscuits: Because nothing is better than homemade! Use your favorite recipe or try my homemade cheddar chive biscuits I made for my traditional pot pie filling.
- Store-bought biscuits: So easy! I used Pillsbury Grands in these photos and they were delish.
- Oyster crackers: Salty, crunchy crackers pack the perfect bite size bursts of flavor and texture in every spoonful.
Recommended Reading: Sweet Bean Pie
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe Instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. On a sheet pan, drizzle the chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle liberally with salt and black pepper.
Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
When the chicken breasts are done cooking, take them out of the oven to cool, and remove the meat from the bone, cutting the chicken into large chunks. You can save these bones for a small batch of stock or plan to cook the chicken further in advance so you can use the stock for the pot pie filling. If you decide to do the latter, simmer the bones in about 5 cups of water for a few hours.
While the chicken is cooking, prepare the pastry. Mix the flour, salt, and baking powder in the bowl of your food processor. Add the shortening and butter and pulse about 10 times, until the butter and shortening are the size of small peas.
With the food processor on, add the ice waterjust enough for the dough to just come together. You may have to pause and give it a stir with your hands, as some portions of the dough will be wetter or dryer. Dump the dough onto a clean, floured surface and knead gently into a ball. No need to overwork the dough! Wrap it in plastic and transfer to the refrigerator to rest for 30 minutes.
Now, back to the filling. In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and onions, and cook until translucent. Next, add the carrots and cook for another 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Bake the pot pie for 1 hour, until bubbly.
Tips For Easy Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
- Leftover turkey after Thanksgiving and Christmas is a great idea. Comfort food is always a good option.
- Keep it vegetarian. Skip the meat and add more vegetables. Swap in some potatoes, peas, carrots, and mushrooms!
- Take away the heavy cream and substitute with fat free milk. You may want to add in an extra tablespoon of flour to help this soup thicken up.
- Another way to cut calories would be to remove the cheese and pie crust dippers. I know. Those pie crust dippers are one of the best parts. But if you dont make them, you wont miss them.
Donât Miss: Onion Soup Mix Dip Recipe
Read Also: Mrs Budd’s Chicken Pot Pie Review
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Soup
This chicken pot pie soup is quick and easy to make from scratch! Lets make some!
STEP 1: SEAR CHICKEN:
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels sprinkle with salt and pepper. Drying the chicken allows the seasonings to stick. Allowing the chicken time to rest while you prep the veggies helps the seasonings penetrate the chicken.
- Sear chicken in a large Dutch oven/ soup pot until golden, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate but leave drippings.
- Searing the chicken results in the Maillard reaction, in which amino acids and reducing sugars produce browning, and as we know, color= flavor! The delicious brown bits left in the bottom of the pan will be season the entire soup as they permeate the broth.
STEP 2: SAUTÃ VEGETABLES:
STEP 3: Add flour
- Sprinkle in the flour then cook, stirring constantly for 2 minutes . Cooking the flour gets rid of the raw flour smell and taste.
- The vegetables will not be completely tender at this point but will soften as they simmer with the soup.
STEP 4: simmer soup
STEP 5: thicken soup
- Once chicken is tender, remove to a cutting board, shred and add back to the pot.
- Whisk cornstarch with half and half until smooth then stir back into the pot. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer until thickened.
You May Like: Lipton Herb And Garlic Soup Mix
More Chicken Breast Recipes
This chicken soup is my go-to when time is crunched and I dont have time to whip up my other favorite, Skillet Chicken Pot Pie.
Plus, when you make this soup recipe in the slow cooker.its essentially a one pot meal.so one pot to clean. And if youre looking for another quick and easy dinner for time pressed weeknight dinners..this Chicken and Dumplings Skillet Casserole is as amazing as it gets.
Quick and comforting..I mean, those biscuits on top are a meal all by themselves. Dont you agree?
If you really want another soup recipe to tuck under your belt, this easy Chicken Tortellini Soupis nothing short of amazing. Or just go for simple and make the best ever Baked Chicken Breast. Its sooooo simple.
Also Check: Entenmann’s Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
More About This Recipe
- If you need to get dinner on the table in a hurry, this easy chicken pot pie recipe is the place to begin. While many time-tested, heirloom recipes have come out of the Betty Crocker kitchens over the years, possibly none has proven as popular as The Impossibly Easy Pie formulation, which has been a relied-upon recipe since the 1970s. Hundreds of home cooks have relied on this quick take on chicken pot pie with biscuits. You dont need to make a crust for this simple dinner. Instead, you just mix up all the ingredients together??yes, the ingredients for the filling and the crust. While it cooks, the pie forms its own crust. It may seem like kitchen magic, but its the dishs down-to-earth goodness that keeps home cooks coming back to this recipe year after year. For even more ideas, check out Bettys best chicken pot pie recipes.
Chicken Pot Pie Bubble Up Plain Chicken
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Cream Of Chicken Soup. Here are a number of highest rated Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Cream Of Chicken Soup pictures upon internet. We identified it from obedient source. Its submitted by government in the best field. We recognize this nice of Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Cream Of Chicken Soup graphic could possibly be the most trending topic next we ration it in google help or facebook.
Recommended Reading: Supreme Bean Pie Recipe
Easy Homemade Chicken Pot Pie
This homemade chicken pot pie is the ultimate comfort food! Packed with juicy chicken, vegetables, a creamy sauce and topped with a flaky, golden pie crust.
Best of all the entire meal can be prepped in just 10 minutes! After that, simply pop it in the oven and youve got classic comfort food for the whole family.
Want to save this recipe? Enter your email below and we’ll send the recipe straight to your inbox!
Crockpot Chicken Pot Pie Soup
To make crockpot chicken pot pie soup, you will use almost all of the same ingredients except omit the butter, olive oil and flour and increase the cornstarch. Please note that crockpot chicken pot pie soup wont be quite as thick because liquid doesnt evaporate while cooking like on the stove. Because of this, you want to consider replacing some or all of the half and half with heavy cream.
How to make crockpot chicken pot pie soup:
- Add the chicken, onions, vegetables , spices and 7 cups broth to a 6 quart or larger slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender and the chicken easily shreds with two forks.
- When chicken is tender, shred and return to slow cooker along with the peas.
- Whisk the 3 cups half and half with 3 tablespoons cornstarch and stir into the soup in the crockpot.
- Cover and cook on high for 20-30 minutes to thicken.
Read Also: Chocolate Covered Key Lime Pie
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
Creamy Chicken Pot Pie is a dish that takes a few minutes to make, but your family will love you for making it.
I remember about 25 years ago, one of my neighbors had a baby and I made them this creamy chicken pot pie. Her husband came up to me and told me how wonderful it was and that he was so impressed that it wasnt made with cream of chicken soup. Then he asked for the recipe. I must say, that that is pretty impressive and so I decided that it must be pretty good, if the husband asks for the recipe.
So dont be afraid to try making this pie, the trickiest part is the crust and that is why I decided to show you how to make it by using a ready made crust.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth until smooth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick.
- Add peas and parsley to the filling.
- Fit the bottom pie crust into a pie plate.
- Spoon the creamy filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet .
You May Like: What Is Bean Pie Made Of
Chicken Pot Pie Filling
Now let’s chat about the filling. It’s a simple made-from-scratch mixture of diced or shredded chicken, celery, onion, peas, carrots and corn, all in a creamy white sauce that’s thickened with a roux. I use frozen peas and carrots, as well as frozen corn kernels, but you can substitute with 2 ½ cups of any mixed vegetables that you like.
Youll need a total of about 3 cups of cooked, shredded or diced chicken for this recipe, and a variety of options will work. Pick the most convenient method for you:
- Boiled and Pulled Chicken: Boil about 1 ½ lbs. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs until cooked through . When cool enough to handle, chop or pull the chicken.
- Rotisserie Chicken: This is a great shortcut! Purchase a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store, shred the meat, and use in the recipe as instructed.
- Leftover Chicken: If you have leftover grilled or baked chicken from a previous meal, put those extras to good use in this dish.
Old Fashioned Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken pot pie is a classic, old-fashioned savory pie that’s traditionally made with a flaky, buttery pie crust and a creamy chicken and vegetable filling. There are endless ways to prepare this dish — from single crusts to double crusts, puff pastry to biscuit toppings — and everything in between. This traditional chicken pot pie recipe is the absolute best, and will convert even non-pot-pie-lovers into true, raving fans.
You just can’t beat the made-from-scratch all-butter crust, which gets perfectly flaky and crisp in a cast iron skillet. Add a thick, rich filling and you’ve got an instant winner of a dinner. It’s a great way to use up leftover meat, but it’s also simple enough to prepare with a store-bought rotisserie chicken. When comfort food is calling your name, this is the only homemade chicken pot pie recipe that you will ever need!
Also Check: Key Lime Pie Delivery From Key West