What Should I Top Chicken Pot Pie Soup With
Chicken pot pie soup would just be fabulous creamy chicken soup if it wasnt for the topping! To elevate the soup to chicken pot pie soup, serve it with biscuits, oyster crackers or pie crust crackers. Pie crust crackers are exactly what the sound like, crackers made from pie crust! They definitely are the way to go for the complete pot pie experience, but the other options are tasty too because sometimes all you want to do is pop a can of biscuits and bake!
- Pie crust crackers: To make these easy crackers, you can you use this fabulous homemade pie crust recipeor just pick up some store bought pie crust. To make, roll the crust out onto parchment paper or non slip silicone mat. Lightly brush the pie crust with some melted butter and lightly sprinkle with some salt. Cut into thick strips. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the strips are golden brown and crispy. Remove from the oven and let cool to room temperature, then break into pieces. Now you have pie crust crackers!
- Homemade biscuits: Because nothing is better than homemade! Use your favorite recipe or try my homemade cheddar chive biscuits I made for my traditional pot pie filling.
- Store-bought biscuits: So easy! I used Pillsbury Grands in these photos and they were delish.
- Oyster crackers: Salty, crunchy crackers pack the perfect bite size bursts of flavor and texture in every spoonful.
Do I Need To Thaw The Frozen Vegetables Before Adding Them To Your Slow Cooker
You actually dont! You can easily just add them right into the slow cooker to thaw and cook. The big distinction between using fresh vegetables and frozen veggies is the fact that there is certainly a chance that the frozen veggies can be a bit mushy during the cooking process which is the reason we tend to wait for a little before putting them when you look at the crockpot.
More About Creamy Chicken Pot Pie Recipes
THE BEST CHICKEN POT PIE WITH HOMEMADE PIE CRUST
- Add butter and oil to a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. As soon as the butter has melted, add the celery, carrots, and onion and sauté until softened, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir until evenly coated. Add the chicken broth a splash at a time, whisking after each addition, until the mixture begins to resemble a thick pudding. Once this consistency is reached, the remaining broth can be added in.
- Add the salt and pepper, and increase the heat to medium-high. Allow the mixture to simmer, stirring often, about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in the peas and the diced chicken, and set aside until ready to use.
SLOW-COOKER CREAMY CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE PILLSBURY.COM
- In small bowl, mix whipping cream, flour, gravy mix, poultry seasoning and salt pour over chicken. Cover cook on Low heat setting 3 to 4 hours or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Heat oven to 350°F. Stir thawed mixed vegetables into slow cooker. Cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until hot. Remove slow cooker insert.
BEST CREAMY CHICKEN POTPIES RECIPE HOW TO MAKE CREAMY
- Turn out dough onto lightly floured surface and shape into a disk wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or until ready to use.
CLASSIC CHICKEN POT PIE RECIPE PILLSBURY.COM
CREAMY CHICKEN POT PIE MY RECIPE TREASURES
EASY AND DELICIOUS CREAMY CHICKEN POT PIE-RECIPE
Don’t Miss: Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie Key West
How To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie
This post may contain affiliate links which means we receive a small commission at no cost to you when you make a purchase. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a very easy chicken pot pie recipe full of tender chicken, vegetables, cream of chicken soup, and flaky crust. Make this a quick meal to serve your family during the week.
Maybe you have been doing yard clean up all day and youre looking for a cozy weekend meal to enjoy with a salad and glass of wine. This recipe is for you.
- 1/2 cup water, or chicken broth
- garlic powder, salt & pepper to taste
To ensure your potpie cooks evenly, be sure to preheat your oven to 425 degrees. This will make this dish cook thoroughly and create that golden flaky crust!
Next, you will place 1 pie crust sheet that has been defrosted for 15 minutes in the bottom of the 9-inch pie plate. Set this aside so it is ready to pour your filling.
Now, over medium heat, melt butter in a medium saucepan.
Add onions and cook uncovered until soft and translucent. This should take about 5 minutes or so.
Add soup and water , and stir until hot and a little bubbly. I like to use a wooden spoon for this cooking step because it is better for the pan and also makes me feel like I am cooking a homemade meal!
Can I Use Rotisserie Chicken
Yes! Rotisserie chicken is my second choice to use in this recipe after chicken thighs. Rotisserie chicken comes lightly seasoned for an added depth of flavor and is a mix of both light and dark meat. It also comes perfectly tender and ready to slurp up.
To use rotisserie chicken, shred the chicken, discarding the bones and add about 3 cups shredded chicken to the soup at the end with the peas to warm through. If using rotisserie chicken, youll skip the salt and pepper used in the beginning of the recipe to season the chicken and season to taste at the end of cooking.
You May Like: 8 Inch Pyrex Pie Plate
How To Make This Mini Chicken Pot Pies Recipe
STEP ONE: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
STEP TWO: Lay the Pillsbury crescent rolls flat and cut out 12 rounds with a 3-inch cookie cutter.
STEP THREE: Press them into the cupcake pan along the bottom and up the sides.
STEP FOUR: In a bowl mix the chicken, vegetables, chicken broth, and soup.
STEP FIVE: Spoon the chicken mixture into the cups but dont overfill them as it will bubble up during cooking.
STEP SIX: Grab a pizza cutter and cut strips of the dough to go over the top. Two one way then two the other works really well.
STEP SEVEN: Bake in the oven for 18 minutes until golden brown. Use a knife to gently ease the side of the pie away from the pan to ensure it is cooked. It will come away easily once cooked.
STEP EIGHT: Leave the pies to cool a little then use a knife to gently lift them out of the cups once cooled.
Also Check: Where Was Key Lime Pie Invented
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Chicken Pot Pie is a classic homemade chicken pot pie recipe with vegetables and a creamy filling without cream of anything soup. A store bought crust makes this come together fast for a weeknight meal. Ive had many versions of this recipe but this one is the best and is a tried and true favorite.
Tips For Making The Best Chicken Pot Pie
- Instead of just one, you can also double the crust such that your pie has one on top and one at the bottom. It will give your pie an additional layer of bread that will soak up the sauce nicely. Double the crust, double the goodness!
- To save time, you can always use a store-bought crust. Guilty as charged.
- Make your pie even richer and more delectable by adding ¾ cup of cheddar cheese. Its amazing how one ingredient can transform an entire meal!
- For an even heartier filling, add some cubed potatoes. Save yourself the trouble of slicing by using frozen country-style hash browns. Adding corn, celery, and broccoli also gives the pie an excellent flavor.
- Make the sauce even more flavorful by adding some cooked onion, garlic powder, parsley, rosemary, thyme, Italian herbs, salt, and pepper. These common pantry seasonings make for an out-of-this-world gravy!
- People normally use leftover chicken for their chicken pot pie, but if do not have any, you can use shredded rotisserie chicken instead. Plus, its an easy way to save time.
- Just because the recipe has chicken in its name does not mean you should only limit yourself to that protein. You can use leftover turkey to make this dish, as well!
- Speaking of modifications, here is a great way to give your pie an earthy flavor: add some mushrooms to the filling!
- Brush the top crust with some egg wash for a golden brown pie.
Turkey Or Chicken Pot Pie
Easy Chicken Pot Pie is always a family favorite, and it is SO incredibly easy. Sometimes I even cheat a little to make it easier when I know that I will have very little time to prepare a good dinner.
On those nights, I use precooked, diced chicken, so I don’t even have to cut the chicken breasts into pieces. I still do the same step of heating it in the olive oil with the onion, garlic salt, and pepper, I just heat it a few minutes less since it is already cooked.
Or, I save a few dollars by using the leftovers from my Slow Cooker Whole Chicken recipe. That is a lot cheaper than buying pre-cooked chicken and it gives the pot pie an extra boost of flavor from the spices in that recipe!
This is also a great way to use up that leftover holiday turkey! Just substitute diced turkey for the chicken.
The rest of the recipe couldn’t be easier, just toss in a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a can of cream of chicken soup, some milk, pour the whole thing into a refrigerated pie crust, toss the second crust on top, and you are good to go!
Recommended Reading: Chicken Pot Pie Campbells Soup
How To Cook The Chicken
We love using leftover rotisserie to make Chicken pot pie soup. You can use cooked chicken breasts or a store-bought Rotisserie Chicken. If you want to cook your own chicken, our go-to recipes are:
- Oven Roasted Chicken tender and juicy with a crisp, salty skin
- Instant Pot Whole Chicken the fastest way to cook a chicken
Whats Best To Serve With Chicken Pot Pie Soup
I love to make this an all out comfort food dinner, so I like to serve with:
Read Also: Campbells Soup Chicken Pot Pies
Can I Use Vegetable Broth Instead
I do not recommend vegetable broth because it does not have the chicken flavor which is crucial in this chicken pot pie soup recipe. That doesnt mean you cant use vegetable broth, but it does mean the soup will not taste rich and flavorful. If you do use chicken broth, then you may want to add additional chicken bouillon, but taste as you go because you dont want to make your soup too salty!
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Get Soup Delivered
Ingredient Tips For How To Make Easy Chicken Pot Pie
What makes this recipe so easy? When in a time crunch, using store-bought ingredients not only saves a lot of time, but it also tastes delicious.
Such an easy recipe! And I know you will add it to your weekly meal plan rotation!
Be sure to scroll down for your printable shopping list so you will have all the ingredients for this classic chicken pot pie with cream of chicken soup!
Recommended Reading: Kermits Key Lime Pie Recipe
How To Make The Crust
Making crust for Chicken Pot Pie or Chicken Pot Pie Soup is so super simple. I like to use THIS flakey pie crust recipe and omit the sugar but if youre in a pinch you can totally just use your favorite refrigerated pie crust.
I make my pie crust in the food processor with just a few simple ingredients so you a totally pull it off just as quickly as you would if you ran to the store to buy a refrigerated crust.
And you can always make the pie crust dough in advance to make dinner come together even easier. Just add that step to your weekly meal prep.
Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Soup is one of my favorite cold weather dinners, but we also love it all year long because its so spectacularly easy to make! Its also great to make a double or triple batch of healthy soup if your slow cooker can handle the load, to freeze for even FASTER weeknight dinners.
Its, seriously, one of my favorite boneless chicken breast recipes ever.
What Chicken Is Best
I highly recommend chicken thighs for this chicken pot pie soup recipe. I didnt always use chicken thighs for my soup recipes, but once I started, there was NO going back. Chicken thighs are dark meat which means they are inherently juicier, richer tasting and produce far more tender chicken than chicken breasts. They are also harder to overcook and stay tender for days with a more palate pleasing texture, even when reheated for leftovers.
In addition, chicken thighs are browned first which adds an important layer of flavor to the overall soup as all those golden, flavorful bits become part of the broth.
Dont Miss: How To Make Onion Dip With Soup Mix
Read Also: I Ate Some Pie Math Equation