Toy To Avoid: Tennis Ball
Its a classic option, but not a super safe one: The American Kennel Club says tennis balls are bad for dogs.
Dogs with strong jaws can easily break the tennis ball, and potentially choke on the rubber that breaks off. On top of that, the felt abrades a dogs teeth like sandpaper and can wear them down, leading to dental problems like exposed tooth pulp and difficulty chewing. Look for more durable dog toys instead.
Toy To Avoid: Rope Toys
If your dog habitual destroys toys, theyll likely end up swallowing the fallout. And while dogs can pass most foreign objects, rope is different.
If a long strand gets stuck in the stomach with the other half in the intestines, it can cinch the digestive system like a drawstring and cause life-threatening problems. Even if your dog only eats small pieces of rope at a time, the strands can slowly create an obstruction, like hairs collecting in a shower drain.
Barkbox App And Barkshop
Sometimes, your dog might be very delighted with a particular toy, but then you dont know if you will ever get the same toy again, since the contents of each BarkBox package are a surprise. If you happen to find yourself in such a situation, all you need to do is go the BarkBox mobile app or the BarkShop on their website, select the month this toy was sent, and then re-order a similar package.
Recommended Reading: Banana Cream Pie Shake Sonic
Keeping Your Dogs Home Clean
- Clean/disinfect your dogs crate and its contents as needed but at least weekly or whenever it gets soiled with urine, feces or food
- Be sure to remove all objects from the crate before cleaning it clean these items separately
- Wash bedding in hot, soapy water as needed to disinfect and remove odors
- Clean the crate with commercially available, ammonia-free, pet-friendly disinfectant
- Dry the inside of the crate thoroughly before replacing bedding, toys or chews, or allowing your dog to go inside
Entertainment And Information Only Not Veterinary Care
The Dog Bakery blog operates an online information and opinion blog and is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Reading this blog or using any of the information you expressly acknowledge and understand that there are risks and limitations associated with any advice, recipes, formulas, products given.
The blog is NOT a substitute for veterinary care, advice, facts or opinions, and we cannot provide advice or consultation regarding such. If your pet is sick, injured, or in need of medical attention, please contact your regular veterinarian or local emergency animal hospital immediately.
The contents of The Dog Bakery, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on the Site are for informational and entertainment purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the Site.
You May Like: Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie
Buy Any 2 Toys Get 1 Free Make Dog Happy
Is this your brand on Milled? .
Enjoy free shipping and returns on all qualifying BarkShop orders.
If you have any questions, email . Please do not reply to this email.
Can I Customize My Box
Abso-freakin-lutely. You can tailor all toys, treats, and chews however your dogs heart desires. Beef allergies? No cows for you. Pup not a fan of the crinkle sound? Well only send you toys sans-crinkle. Want more spiky balls? You got it.
You can even switch up your box item ratios with fewer toys and more treats, all toys, no chews, whatever makes your pup happy, all for the same price. Just reach out to our Happy Team so we can help!
And now, the toys.
Read Also: Key West Key Lime Pie Company The Profit
Things To Remember When Feeding
- Feed puppies three to four times daily and adult dogs one to two times daily
- In general, the younger the puppy, the more frequent the feeding
- Use recommendations on manufacturer’s label as a guideline for how much and how often to feed, and discuss your pet’s individual needs with your veterinarian
- Feed large, deep-chested dogs two to three smaller meals a day to help avoid gastric dilitation and volvulus syndrome, commonly known as bloat, a life-threatening condition that causes a dogs stomach to twist upon itself, often after a big meal has been consumed quickly, and prevent food from exiting the stomach
- Raised food dishes can help prevent bloat and ease strain on neck and back muscles and joints while eating
Typical Appearance And Behavior
- Dogs, by nature, are very social animals. When you adopt a dog, you become part of that dogs family. Proper and safe socialization at critical developmental stages are very important. Dogs should be kept mentally stimulated and maintain breed-appropriate levels of physical activity. Supervised games help keep dogs busy and satisfy their instinctual need to chew, retrieve, dig, chase and herd. The level of activity a dog needs depends on their age, overall health and breed. Different breeds require different levels of activity always consult your vet on the individual health and wellness needs of your particular dog
- Just like people, dogs are individuals and have different traits. For example, some dogs do well within family units that include multiple pets, while others thrive in a single-pet household. All dogs have specific breed characteristics, so it is important to research each breed youre considering before bringing them into your home so that you can choose a good match for your lifestyle and prepare accordingly
- Another variable among dog breeds is their need for grooming. Some breeds need an occasional bath and brush to look their best, while others require regular bathing, clipping and grooming to maintain a healthy skin and coat, which supports their overall health. Before you bring a dog into your home, consider how much time, resources and finances you have available to groom a new pet
Also Check: Mermaid Cupcakes Denver
For Cuddlers: Zippypaws Skinny Peltz
Skinny Peltz contain no stuffing so theres no concern or mess if your dog chews through the fabric. Theyre great for dogs of all sizes, whether they prefer fetching or snuggling it.
My toy poodle puppy loves these. They were recommended by the breeder because they have no stuffing she could choke on, says one Amazon reviewer. She loves to play fetch and tug of war with them.
Toy To Avoid: Synthetic Stuffing
The Humane Society recommends reading a toys label to spot dangerous fillings, citing nutshells and polystyrene beads as two to avoid.
Keep in mind, however, that even safe stuffings arent truly digestible and can get stuck in a dogs teeth or throat. And sure, some dogs can safely pass polyester filling. But should it get stuck internally, it can stop the digestive process, leading to expensive surgery. If left untreated, complete intestinal blockages can result in death. Make your own stuffed toys for dogs so you know exactly whats inside.
Also Check: Key Lime Pie Delivery From Key West
For Tuggers: Goughnuts Dog Pull Toy
All but indestructible, GoughNuts are an excellent toy for any dog who loves to tug, especially big, aggressive chewers. Their figure-eight design allows you to grip one ring while your pup bites down on the other, keeping your hands safe from that powerful bite! It comes in a nine-inch and 11-inch sizes to fit all kinds of tuggers.
I have a 70-pound pitbull and a 14.5 pound Italian Greyhound/MinPin. They both love this thing! writes one Amazon reviewer. They are both pretty big on chewing things in half and there isnt a single mark in this thing after a few months.
Different Themes Each Month
As mentioned earlier, the contents of each months BarkBox vary depending on that months theme. The themes are designed to be fun, and will usually match the season. Other times, the themes will be designed to provide an adventure for your pup, or showcase something that is dear to BarkBox.
For instance, the theme for March 2020 was Australian Outbark. This theme was meant to take your pooch on an adventure in Australia, with toys such as the Topanga Kanga, the Kouddly Koala, Yobbo Wombat, and the Drongo Platypus.
For November 2019, the theme was Thankstuffing, meant to coincide with Thanksgiving Day. The toys included in this theme included a Ducken stuffed turkey, crammed berry sauce, ample apple pie, and mashed potato mountain.
Read Also: Campbell Soup Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
What Is Contained In A Barkbox Package
Each BarkBox package comes with 5 items . These items include:
- 2 bags of treats
- 2 toys
- 1 chew
To keep things interesting, BarkBox does not provide the same kind of treats, toys, or chews every time. This means that you will never know what kind of treats, toys, or chews are inside the box until you open it. This surprise element keeps your dog excited and looking forward to their next box of BarkBox.
BarkBox varies the contents of each package depending on their theme for the month. If you are wondering what BarkBox themes are, we will take a more detailed look at them in the next section. However, regardless of the theme for that month, you can rest assured that your doggie will love the contents of the BarkBox package.
This series of videos show just how excited Barkbox can make your dogs in looking forward to each months goodies. Check out the reaction and the exhilaration without fail whenever Barkbox arrives.
What To Feed Your Dog
- A well-balanced dog diet consists of:
- Dogs should be fed a nutritionally balanced and complete commercially available dog food appropriate to their life stage, breed/size and any underlying health issues
- In general, homemade diets containing a variety of people food are not recommended, as they cannot provide the complete balance of nutrition found in commercial diets that are approved by the Association of American Feed Control Officials , as indicated on the food label
- Treats, including people food, should make up no more than 10% of a dogs total diet
- Your veterinarian can advise you on the best choice for your new pet
- While dogs can be offered an occasional healthy treat such as a small amount of vegetables, fruit, cooked egg or cottage cheese, in general, table scraps are not recommended, as they can throw off nutrient balance in your dogs overall diet and contribute to obesity
- Clean, fresh water should always be available
Also Check: Muslim Navy Bean Soup
Tougher Toys For Tougher Dogs
Sometimes, your dog might be an aggressive chewer who requires something tougher than the toys that come with the standard BarkBox package. If thats the case for you, you will love the fact that BarkBox allows you to upgrade your subscription to a tailor-made package that comes with tougher toys.
The toys in this package come with double-layered fabric and reinforced seams, which makes them a lot studier and more durable compared to the toys in the standard package. However, since they are made to be strong and durable, these toys wont have the fluffy feeling and soft texture of the standard toys.
If your dog is a super heavy chewer, even the above option might not be strong enough. If thats the case, you can once again upgrade to the Super Chewer package. The Super Chewer package comes with the toughest chews made from rubber, nylon and rope.
BarkBox has so much confidence in the durability of these chews. If your doggie manages to destroy the Super Chewer toy, BarkBox delivers another Super Chewer toy to you, free of charge. Anyway, you cant expect less from toys that are tested on wolves.
The Super Chewer package costs $29 for the 12 month plan, $34 for the 6 month plan, and $39 for a one month plan. The Super Chewer package comes with two bags of treats, two tough toys, and two tough chews. Bought separately, the contents of the Super Chewer package are worth over $50.
More Fruits And Veggies Your Dog Can Eat
There are plenty of fruit and veggies your dog may like. Dried or fresh, try offering bananas, blueberries, broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cantaloupe, carrots, spinach, and watermelon.
For some real fun feeding your dog veggies, show your devotion by putting together this Veggie Turduckener, Turdoggena gloriously stuffed butternut squash feast made just for your favorite dog .
With so many options for feeding your dog fresh foods, your dog can enjoy the bounty of the season without any guilt on your part.
Recommended Reading: Américan Pie Band Camp Trailer
Safe & Healthy Foods To Feed Your Dogs At Thanksgiving
Below, safe and satisfying foods that you can share with your dog this holiday season are discussed by Gary Richter, MS, DVM author of The Ultimate Pet Health Guide: Breakthrough Nutrition and Integrative Care for Dogs and Cats and Veterinary Health Expert with Rover, Sara Ochoa, DVM and small animal and exotic veterinarian in Texas, and the American Kennel Clubs Jerry Klein, CVO and emergency and critical care veterinarian who has been a valued member of the Chicago veterinary community for over 35 years.
- Sweet potatoes are a great source of dietary fiber, vitamin B6, vitamin C, and beta-carotene, says Dr. Richter. Sweet potato treats can be as simple as a dehydrated sweet potato chew. Just remember not to give your pet sweet potatoes containing any added ingredients.
- Potatoes. You get to enjoy both kinds of potatoes, and your dog can have that option, too. However, give only boiled or baked potatoes with no butter, sour cream, salt, or pepper, and serve in moderation.
If you really want to treat your dog and get into the holiday spirit, consider a dog advent calendar.
For Chewers: Kong Classic Treat
Theres a reason veterinarians and trainers recommend the Kong Dog Toy. It provides physical and mental stimulation by encouraging healthy play and satisfying instinctual needs, especially for dogs determined to chew.
Stuff the durable shell with any combo of kibble and dog-friendly foods, like peanut butter. Figuring out how to get at every last bit should keep your dog busy for hours, especially if you freeze it first. The Kong is easy to clean, too just pop it in the dishwasher.
Read Also: Campbells Soup Shepherd’s Pie