What Ingredients Are Needed To Make This Easy Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
See the recipe card below for ingredient quantities.
Sweet Potato Pie Ingredients:
- Unbleached all-purpose flour this is used to make the base of the pie crust. Standard bleached flour will work too if thats what you have, unbleached just has better flavor.
- Granulated sugar and brown sugar the white sugar is used in the pie crust to add a faint sweetness and the brown sugar is used for the filling. The added molasses of the brown sugar pairs perfectly with the sweet potato flavor.
- Salt this brings out the flavors of the pie crust and filling so it doesnt taste flat.
- Unsalted and salted butter unsalted butter is used in the pie crust , and salted butter for the filling. Salted browned butter tastes so much better than unsalted.
- Ice water be sure to add lots of ice to the water, stir and rest before you use it. This helps the butter stay cold so you end up with a flaky crust.
- Sweet potatoes I like to use red garnet variety. Other orange varieties work as well but dont use white or purple sweet potatoes.
- Evaporated milk I like to use the small 5 oz. can so I dont have leftover but if you only have a larger can that will work but be sure to measure amount listed.
- Eggs this helps bind the pie filling together and make a custard type filling. They are crucial to the recipe.
- Cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger with the ratios here I recommend sticking with each separate spice rather than using a spice blend.
- Vanilla extract this adds another faint background flavor in the pie. Use real vanilla for best flavor.
Scroll down for full printable recipe.
Baking With Pie Weights
This recipe is unique in that you almost wholly bake the pie crust. The wet potato filling can cause it to become raw in taste if not properly prebaked. The weights are only left in about half the time. Thats because to achieve a flaky bottom crust, the dough needs to be exposed to the heat, which allows the steam to escape and dry out. If the weights are left in, they trap the moisture, creating an undercooked pastry.
Pin this recipe to save for later
You May Like: Banana Cream Pie Milkshake Sonic
Do You Servesweet Potato Pie Warm Or Cold
Serving sweet potato pie warm with cold whipped cream willtake you straight to heaven, but thats how I see it! You can serve the sweetpotato pie cold too. The flavor doesnt change, but the texture of the pie changesa little.
Warm sweet potato pie has a fluffier lighter texture, andthats because the butter in the filling is melted. A cold sweet potato pie hasa much firmer texture, and you can get a clean slice when you cut through thepie, which will ensure a beautiful looking slice when served to your guests.
In my house, we love sweet potato pie, cold or warm!
Should You Toast The Pecans
There is no need to toast the pecans for pecan pie. I actually recommend that you do not toast the pecans! That is what makes this recipe such an easy pie recipe! As the pie bakes, the pecans rise through the filling and form an amazing, crispy, glistening, nutty topping for the pie. Ive found that if you use toasted pecans, the pecans have an overcooked flavor that is not pleasing.
Recommended Reading: Muslim Navy Bean Soup
Tips For Baking Sweet Potatoes
- Select similar sized sweet potatoes.
- Do not let them touch while cooking.
- Do not wrap them for cooking as this will trap the steam and cause the skin to be too soft. Only wrap is using them in another dish where the skin will be discarded, such as sweet potato casserole.
- An instant read thermometer should register between 205º F and 212º F in the thickest portion of the potato when perfectly cooked.
How To Store And Freeze
- To Store. Sweet potato pie should be refrigerated, tightly covered, and can last about 5 days. Let come to room temperature prior to serving.
- To Freeze. Yes, sweet potato pie can be frozen! To freeze, tightly wrap your cooked and cooled pie in plastic wrap or aluminum foil, and store in a freezer-safe storage container or ziptop bag for up to 3 months. Let the pie thaw for at least 12 hours in the refrigerator before serving.
Don’t Miss: Chocolate Dipped Key Lime Pie Key West
Making A Sturdy Pie Crust
I use a combination of flour, salt, butter, and water, also called a traditional Pâte Brisée pie dough. It makes a sturdy structure to hold the wet filling but is still tender. Cut the butter into 1/4-inch pieces, then incorporate it into the flour using a stand mixer until coarse with pea-sized bits of fat dispersed throughout.
Chill and rest the dough for at least 4 hours, or I prefer overnight. This duration gives the gluten time to relax so that the texture doesnt taste tough.
Homemade Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
This sweet potato pie recipe uses vanilla pudding for the best ever flavor and texture. Learn how to make the best homemade sweet potato pie recipe from scratch! Its one of our best potato recipes!
Sweet potatoes were never something I cravedthat is until I started baking with them. Sweet potato bread has always been a favorite of mine, but lately Ive been craving sweet potato pie.
If youre looking for something a little different than pumpkin pie for the Thanksgiving and holiday season, try this best Sweet Potato Pie recipe.
Also Check: Peach Cobbler With Frozen Pie Crust
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- 3 frozen unbaked 8 or 9 inch single crust pie shells
- 4 pounds uncooked and un-peeled sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup pure finely granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs
As always the key to great cooking is to be prepared and use quality ingredients.
Preparation Time = approx 1 hour and 40 minutesCooking Time = 1 hour and 30 minutes
Go ahead, give this easy dessert recipe a try and you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
Recipe courtesy of https://www.soulfoodandsoutherncooking.com/
Store Bought Or Homemade Pie Crust
Set your mixture aside to put your pie crust or crusts in the oven. Personally, Ive bought my pie crusts and Ive made them myself. Its all about personal preference, if you have a lot of baking to do I recommend store bought to save time.
Then, cut about 4-5 slits in your pie crust, so the crust remains flat. Place the pie crusts in the oven on 325 degrees for about 10 minutes. This will ensure that the bottom of your pie crust will be done.
Don’t Miss: Campbells Soup Shepherd’s Pie
Can You Freeze Pecan Pie
YES! This recipe is perfect for making well in advance and freezing. Many times, I like to go ahead and make multiple pies at once and freeze for later.
Cool. Allow the pie to cool completely.
Wrap. Wrap the pie plate entirely in foil and then place into a freezer-safe zip top bag.
Freeze. Freeze for up to 3 months.
To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight, then slice and serve as normal.
If you love pecans like my family does, you may also enjoy our Pecan Pie Bars or our Pecan Chewies. YUM!
Gluten Free Sweet Potato Pie
Since the sweet potato filling is naturally gluten free, all you need to worry about is the crust. You have several options:
- Make the crust with gluten-free flour such as Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour or King Arthur Measure for Measure Flour
- A pre-made gluten free crust,
- a cookie crumb crust made with gluten-free cookie crumbs
Recommended Reading: Campbell’s Chicken Pot Pie With Cream Of Potato Soup
Assemble And Bake The Pie:
Pour the filling into the prepared crust and set on a baking sheet.
Bake the pie for 10 minutes at 375 degrees F, then reduce the heat to 325 degrees F and continue baking until cooked through about 50 minutes. The center should jiggle slightly when you shake it.
Check the pie during baking. If the crust is browning too quickly, place a pie crust shield on the edges and continue baking as directed. When the pie is ready, remove, and let cool completely.
Whip The Cream And Serve
Up to 3 hours before serving, whip the cream on medium speed in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. When it starts to thicken, add the confectioners sugar. Continue to whip until it forms stiff peaks.
Before serving, slice the pie into wedges and top each slice with a dollop of whipped cream.
Read Also: Américan Pie Band Camp Trailer
A Sweet Potato Pie Recipe For All To Enjoy
A sweet potato dessert works well for holidays, family gatherings, and Sunday dinners. Best of all a pie made of sweet potato is great alternative to plain pumpkin pie.
I should know.
Since moving to the mid-west where pumpkin pie is the preferred dessert, I always get asked to make my sweet potato dessert pie for special occasions. Everyone says this pie is creamy, smooth, and taste great.
This southern dessert favorite will definitely appeal to your taste buds. For an extra treat, top your potato pie with whipped cream. Go ahead and try this delicious dessert today and you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
How To Make Sweet Potato Pie & Tips
Save your milk for something else because this is kind off dairy free sweet potato pie. And I said kind of because I it contains butter. It’s just the way we’ve always made it. No milk means more sweet potato flavor with a firm but soft bite. It’s smoother and silkier. Milk tends to make it fluffier.
Step 1: Prepare the sweet potato pie filling. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Take the butter out of the fridge slice or dice it. Lightly coat each potato with oil.
Wrap each potato in foil then place them in a baking dish. Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender. Remove the skin and mash the potatoes. Add the sweet potato into the food processor.
Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, eggs, butter vanilla extract and bourbon into the food processor.
Step 2: Sweet potato pie filling – Using a food processor, process until the filling is smooth and lump and string free. I always add the sweet potato meat to the food processor when its still a bit hot but safe enough to touch. The butter melts easily when the sweet potato is still hot or warm. The bourbon is optional but you can’t taste it since I only added 3 teaspoons.
Step 3: Pour the filling into a prepared pie dish and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the sweet potato pie is not jiggling. The pie will puff up a bit as it bake don’t worry. It will go down once it’s removed from the oven. Super easy right?
Don’t Miss: What Is Bean Pie Made Of
How Do You Cut Sweet Potato Pie
One primary consideration you need to consider while cutting your sweet potato pie is to let it set before cutting. Otherwise, the slice will fall apart like feta cheese!
Its best to let the pie cool and set for a few hours up to a whole day.
But if you cant wait the entire day, wait at least four hours before cutting it into pieces.
Pro tips for slicing sweet potato pie:
This process can be even more simple if you run your sharp knife on a chilled sweet potato pie. A perfect uniform slice will be in your hands if you refrigerate your sweet pie before cutting it. Be sure the knife is clean and sharp before cutting. Wipe it off with a damp cloth after each slice and cut cleanly through the bottom of your pie.
Easy Sweet Potato Pie
This Easy Sweet Potato Pie is a simple to prepare, homemade version of a classic southern treat. Sweet, creamy, and full of flavor. Make this recipe soon, you won’t be disappointed!
This recipe can be made with a store-bought pie crust or you can choose to make your own Homemade Buttery Pie Crust. Also if you love the flavors of sweet potato pie, then you should try making a Sweet Potato Pound Cake.
To me, nothing says that it is Thanksgiving better than a good ole sweet potato pie.
For years, I was intimidated to even give this pie a try. Each year I would ask my mom to make this treat for me so that I could enjoy it. To me, it is the perfect dessert to end a very filling holiday meal. A few years ago I decided to spend some time in the kitchen to watch my mom make these pies and I was floored to see how easy they are to make. The hardest part about preparing these pies is the prep required for the sweet potatoes.
The recipe begins by picking out four large sweet potatoes. Next, you need to clean, peel, and cut the sweet potatoes into large chunks. Lastly, you have to boil them until they are fork-tender and drain off all the water to add them to the recipe. That is all you need to do to prepare the sweet potatoes. Place the potatoes along with all of the other pie ingredients into a stand mixer bowl and mix until smooth before adding into the pie crust to bake. That is it! This recipe is so simple and definitely worth giving a try this holiday season.
You May Like: Campbells Recipe Chicken Pot Pie