Souths Best Chicken Pot Pie
When it comes to soul-satisfying food, chicken pot pie is at the top of most Southerners lists. Warm and wholesome, this dish is perfect for all those hospitable Southern moments: church dinners, potlucks, new neighbor welcomes, or just for warming up when that first chill of fall hits the air. When you dont have time to make it from scratch, here are some great places to enjoy this ultimate feel-good food.
Named after owner Johnny Carrabbas Sicilian grandmother, Graces has become a Houston staple for comfort food. The dishes at Graces are inspired by its namesakes abiding love of cooking and her legendary hospitality. Her over-the-top Sunday lunches filled the table not only with dishes from her homeland like meatballs in her famed tomato sauce, but also Southern classics like fried chicken. The dishes at Graces are built from this multicultural culinary influence they are homey and exotic at once. Flavored with tarragon, thyme, and Marsala wine, this chicken pot pie does right by Johnnys grandmothers memory as well as your taste buds.
3111 Kirby Dr. | 713.728.6410 | gracesonkirby.com
The Pie HoleRoswell, GA
1025 Canton St. | 678.461.3776
Johnnys RestaurantHomewood, AL
2902 18th St. S., Ste. 200 | 205.802.2711 | johnnyshomewood.com
The Pie GourmetVienna, VA
507 Maple Ave. W. | piegourmet.com
Pauls Pot PiesMarietta, GA
10 Mill St. | 770.428.6092 | paulspotpies.com
Beasleys Chicken + HoneyRaleigh, NC
How To Make Homemade Yogurt With Expiring Yogurt
Now, in a large bowl, mix your other ingredients very well. Pour into your prepared pie crust. Then take your other thawed pie crust, drape it over the top of your pie, and crimp it around the top of the pie pan with a fork. If you have crust hanging over, trim it away with a sharp knife.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Take a fork and poke it through the top crust to make several prong-sized holes around the top. Using a pastry brush, brush melted margarine over the top of your pie. Set your pie pan in a larger pan, and bake your pie 30-35 minutes until golden brown. And I guarantee you that you have just made the world’s best chicken pot pie.
The cream of chicken soup is what makes this chicken pie so very good.
I have made this pie now for over 25 years and everyone who eats it says they have never tasted a better tasting chicken pot pie.
I suggest you serve this pie accompanied with whole-berry cranberry sauce. Try it and see what you think.
Assembling A Double Crust Pie
When the dough is ready, youll roll out the bottom crust, lay it in the pie dish, and add your filling. Then, roll out the top pie crust and cover your pot pie with it, bring the bottom crust up and over the top, pinching the two together to enclose. For an extra golden crust and a special touch, brush the pie crust with egg wash and sprinkle with Kosher salt.
Once baked, it will be perfectly golden, flaky and buttery, and the perfect addition to the best chicken pot pie recipe.
Also Check: Key Lime Pie Delivery From Key West
How To Make Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Crust
To make a chicken pot pie crust from scratch, youll whisk together flour, and salt, cut in cold butter and shortening using either a pastry blender or your food processor, and then drizzle in ice-cold water. Mix until a dough has formed, divide into two discs , and transfer to the refrigerator to chill.
The Big Takeaway Lessons From All Four
1. Dont skimp on the filling. Chicken pot pie is the quintessential one-dish dinner, providing protein, veggies, and comforting carbs all on a single plate. I found myself unsatisfied each time a recipe called for a fine dice . For the most filling forkfuls, leave the meat and vegetables big enough to satisfy hearty appetites.
2. Finish the pie with a homemade topping. The topping is what makes pot pies special. The top two choices in this battle each had a homemade finishing touch, so whether you finish the filling with a drop biscuit or pie crust, make it yourself. Pressed for time during the week? Prepare the biscuits or crust ahead of time and refrigerate until it is time to bake.
3. Cool the pot pie before serving. Its tempting to serve a steaming-hot pot pie, but give the pot pie at least 15 minutes to cool before serving. The gravy thickens as it cools, giving the filling a creamier consistency then if served straight from the oven.
Whats your absolute favorite chicken pot pie recipe? Tell us in the comments below.
Patty is a freelance recipe developer who worked as Alton Browns Research Coordinator & Podcast Producer and in the Oxmoor House test kitchen. She loves maple syrup, coffee and board games. Patty lives in Atlanta with her husband and two children.
You May Like: Church’s Chicken Spicy Sprinkles
The Best Crust For Chicken Pot Pie:
In a pinch, this recipe will work with a store-bought double pie crust, but we highly recommend using a homemade all-butter Pie Crust. It is 5 ingredients and takes just minutes to make. You can also make it a couple of days ahead.
Our homemade crust rolls out easily and it never gets soggy when baked. The bottom stays crisp without needing to pre-bake. We use this same pie crust for savory and sweet pies like Apple Pie, our juicy Cherry Pie and Blueberry Pie.
The Pot Pie For Nostalgias Sake: Joanna Gaines Chicken Pot Pie
If your idea of pot pie involves a lunch tray and the signature flavor of cream of chicken soup, this cafeteria-style recipe is for you. This Gaines family recipe relies on supermarket shortcuts like condensed cream of chicken soup, rotisserie chicken, and refrigerated crescent roll dough so it gets points for ease. But there are some technical issues with the recipe that unfortunately sideline the whole thing.
Recommended Reading: What Is Bean Pie Made Of
Can Chicken Pot Pie Be Made Ahead
Yes, you can make this homemade chicken pot pie recipe in advance. Just make the filling and let it cool completely in the fridge stored in an airtight container. The crust can also be made in advance and chilled in the fridge or even frozen.
When ready to bake, roll out the crust and use it to top the pie. Then bake like normal.
Or you can make both the filling and let it cool completely. Pour the filling into a pie dish and top it with the crust, then freeze the whole pie. Just defrost overnight in the fridge before baking.
Chicken Pot Pie Recipe: Ingredients & Substitutions
- Crust. See notes on this All Butter Pie Crust Recipe for substitutions on the crust ingredients.
- Cooked chicken breasts. I most often use diced rotisserie chicken. You can use leftover grilled chicken, shred chicken in the crockpot or on the stovetop . You can also use leftover turkey after Thanksgiving!
- Red potatoes. Yukon Gold potatoes are a great substitute if you don’t have red potatoes.
- Carrots, Celery, Peas, Corn. You can add or subtract just about any of the veggies in this recipe and use your favorites with great results.
- Better Than Bouillon. This is a pretty important ingredient in this chicken pot pie recipe. It is my favorite chicken base and imparts the best flavor. You can use another brand or bouillon cubes or chicken broth/stock, but be warned it won’t taste exactly the same.
- 2% milk. Whole or 1% milk work well, I do not recommend using fat-free milk.
- All-purpose flour. You can sub gluten-free all-purpose flour if desired. Also bread flour works well in a pinch.
- Egg Wash. Optional but recommended. You can use just an egg yolk or just cream if desired, but I find a combination works the best.
Also Check: Kermits Key Lime Pie On A Stick
Best Ever Kfc Chicken Pot Pie
January 27, 2019 by Stephanie Manley, Last Updated January 19, 2021
Love the KFC Chicken Pot Pie? You can make this comfort dish at home, and its going to be the Best Ever KFC Chicken Pot Pie you will ever eat.
KFC markets its chicken pot pie as a classic. The pie is served in individual size and delivers a scrumptious blend of tastes and textures. Thanks to KFCs skill, the individual ingredients manage to retain their distinct flavors.
The chicken is tender and slightly salty and the carrots and green peas retain their unique sweetness. The chunks of potatoes are cooked just right and the cream sauce does not drown out all of these individual tastes.
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie Gravy From Scratch
Did you know that the classic sauce for chicken pot pie is actually a gravy? Yes! It consists of flour, oil, and chicken broth. There are no thickeners like canned soup or cream cheese in this pot pie recipe. You simply dont need them. Flour is all you need for a thickener, and your gravy will be rich, savory, and exactly what you would expect in a traditional filling.
Side note: If you love this American classic, youll also love Chicken a la King! The sauce comes together just like that of Chicken Pot Pie, only theres no crust or bake time its served over rice, pasta, or even biscuits!
To make sauce from scratch for chicken pot pie, youll sprinkle the flour over vegetables that have been sauteed in oil. Once the flour begins to look somewhat glossy youll add in your chicken broth a splash at a time. This method ensures a smooth and luscious gravy every time. Youll continue to add in small increments until the mixture starts to resemble a pudding-like texture, at which point you can add the remaining liquid and let it simmer until slightly thickened.
If youve never made a homemade sauce like this before, fear not this method is foolproof for making gravy.
Don’t Miss: Gordon Ramsay Key Lime Pie
Your Choice Of Vegetables
Another wonderful aspect of chicken pot pie is the versatility of the vegetables you use. They can be from the grocery store or fresh from your garden. They can even be frozen or from a can. This recipe was invented as a way to use all the food you have at your disposal. Furthermore, you should only use the vegetables you like. If peas arent your thing, dont add them! Typical vegetables used include potatoes, corn, carrots, and peas. If you are using fresh potatoes and carrots, or other hearty vegetables, you will want to boil them first to get them tender for around ten minutes.
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 For a pretty finish to the crust, brush it with an egg wash and sprinkle lightly with a coarse salt.
- tip 2 Use the small cutters to create steam vents in the top crust or just cut slits in the pastry with the tip of a paring knife.
- tip 3 For a lump-free white sauce, use a medium wire whisk to stir in the flour and then to constantly stir the sauce as you pour in the broth and milk.
- tip 4 To roll the pie crust rounds into a square, place the pastry on a lightly floured counter, pastry cloth or sheet of parchment paper. Then, carefully press the pastry into more of a square shape before rolling it into a 13-inch square. next, fold the dough in half and lay it into half of the baking dish. Finally, unfold it and gently press it into the corners of the pan to create the bottom crust, being careful not to stretch it. The dough should extend just a little over the edges.
- tip 5 Swap in 1 1/2 cups of any frozen vegetable combo for the peas and carrots, slicing larger pieces into smaller pieces so they blend more evenly in the sauce.
You May Like: Damn Good Pies Kavanaugh
How To Make Chicken Pot Pie:
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Add chicken, carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add salt, garlic powder, dried thyme, and pepper.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in cream until smooth.
- Stir in chicken broth until smooth.
- Cook until bubbling and thick.
- Add peas and parsley to the filling.
- Fit the bottom pie crust into a pie plate.
- Spoon the creamy filling into the bottom crust.
- Place the top crust over the filling.
- Seal the edges of the crust and cut slits in the top crust.
- Place the pie on a baking sheet .
The Best Homemade Chicken Pot Pie Recipe
Published: by Amy · This post may contain affiliate links ·
This is the BEST Homemade Chicken Pot Pie recipe ever with a flaky crust, chunks of chicken, and rich gravy with veggies. It’s a meal that gets requested over and over at our house, especially for Sunday dinner. Pot pie is also a great way to use up leftover chicken or turkey after the holidays.
When I was a kid, I loved those individual-size pot pies from the freezer section at the grocery store. I remember being thrilled when we got to have them for dinner. It usually only happened when my dad was out of town on a business trip.
But then I grew up and married Paul and he absolutely refused to eat chicken pot pie. Like, pot pie and cottage cheese were his two big food aversions that he just couldn’t get over.
They say the first year of marriage is hard. Learning about Paul’s abhorrence of pot pie definitely tested our relationship in a way I never knew it could be tested. I only kid. Sort of.
So when we went to visit my childhood best friend and former college roommate, Carrie, and her husband a few years later and she announced that she was serving pot pie for dinner, I knew Paul was about to be faced with a challenge.
But then Carrie served us the most amazing chicken pot pie EVER. I don’t say that lightly. It was so good that Paul had a Sam-I-Am moment and was even requesting second helpings.
Some of Ree’s recipes are still favorites today, but this is the one we make more than any other.
Also Check: 8 Inch Glass Pie Plate
The Pot Pie For Beginner Cooks And Busy Weeknights: Pioneer Womans Chicken Pot Pie
Its no surprise that Ree Drummond delivers a solid recipe for a comfort-food staple like chicken pot pie. With her friendly encouragement , this homestyle pie is complete with a crisp crust atop tender chicken and vegetables coated in a brothy gravy. Beginner cooks will like that this recipe has no tricky techniques, while those in need of a midweek meal can use up leftover chicken and that roll of refrigerated pie crust.