City’s Favorite Dessert Becomes A Frozen Sandwich
Ice cream sandwich season! That was us screaming for ice cream. Tessa Arias handy new guide to every kind of ice cream sandwiched between every kind of pastry imaginable will fuel us well into the fall. First up, make Boston cream pie intoyou guessed it. An ice cream sandwich.
Growing up in the Southwest, I spent my childhood never knowing about Boston cream pie. When I discovered that its two layers of cake sandwiched between a layer of pastry cream, all with chocolate on top, I had to try it. This ice cream sandwich is the frozen version. How great is that?
Boston Cream Pie Icebox Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy.
Boston Cream Pie Icebox Cake all the flavors of the infamous Boston Cream Pie in a quick and easy icebox cake. Great for those hot days when you dont want to turn on the oven, or when you just dont want to do all the work!
Sometimes you are craving a classic dessert like Boston Cream Pie, but dont really want to go through the full process of baking a cake. That is where an icebox cake comes in. They are great to make in the summer when you dont want to turn on the oven, or even when you are just feeling a little lazy.
Icebox cake recipes are super easy to make, just layering ingredients and letting it set up in the fridge before you serve. It sets up similar to a cake and makes a delicious dessert for any occasion. It serves quite a few people, so it is great for get togethers.
Tell Us What You Think
Were excited to hear how your Boston Cream Pie Cones turn out and look forward to seeing them too. Save the recipe to your favorite recipe board on and share this fun idea with your friends.
Join the conversation with us on and tag us when you share photos of your family and friends enjoying this dessert. We cant wait for your family to try this and #BringJoyHome.
You May Like: Key Lime Pie On A Stick Florida Keys
Heavenly Boston Cream Puffs
· by Kim Lange · This post may contain affiliate links ·
Heavenly Boston Cream Puffs have a heavenly creamy vanilla custard filling, layered inside heavenly fluffy cream puff pastries with a luscious heavenly chocolate icing, is out of this world! These luscious little beauties must have come from heaven, the way they taste.
I absolutely, adore cream puffs. They excite me so! OHHH EMMM GEEE! Heavenly Boston Cream Puffs, I need to devour you! All of you!
Every. last. bite. thank. you. I. need. more. < 3
Cream puffs, themselves are super easy to make. The first time I made them as a tweener and was shocked how easy they were to prepare.
The Story Behind Our April Flavor Of The Month Boston Cream Pie
This April, our Flavor of the Month, Boston Cream Pie, is celebrating its 45th anniversary in the Baskin-Robbins flavor library. To celebrate this milestone, we wanted to give our readers the inside scoop on this returning favorite.
This sweet treat was inspired by, you guessed it, the famous dessert ! Fun fact: a chef at a Boston, Massachusetts hotel invented Boston Cream Pie over 150 years ago in 1856. This flavor is perfect for celebrating other Boston events this April, including Bostons famous road race on April 16th and Paul Reveres famous midnight ride during the American Revolution on April 18th,1775.
Starting off 45 years ago as a custard flavored ice cream with bits of cake and a chocolate ribbon, Boston Cream Pie has now evolved to include a second chocolate ice cream base, which delivers even more classic Boston Cream Pie flavor in every scoop. It will be in stores for a limited time only, so be sure to make it into your local Baskin-Robbins to give this fan favorite a try.
You can also pair this flavor with any coffee or chocolate-themed ice creams, like Jamoca® Almond Fudge or Chocolate, in a Double Scoop Waffle Cone or Sundae for a sweet twist on this classic flavor.
You May Like: Campbells Chicken Pot Pie Recipe With Pie Crust
Boston Cream Icebox Cake
15 minutes active 4 hours inactive
We love to create recipes that look fancy but are super easy to make, and they really are the perfect way to wow friends and family with minimal effort. Our latest show stopper is an icebox cake inspired by the flavors of Boston cream pie it looks super pretty and tastes ahhmazing! So much cool and creamy goodness is hidden below a thick layer of chocolate yum!
This recipe is virtually foolproof, and easy ingredients like pudding and graham crackers make it fun for little ones to help with. Dont get us wrong, we love to bake! But sometimes its nice to whip up a homemade dessert without having to turn on the oven. So the next time youre craving Boston cream pie, give this refreshing no-bake recipe a try, we bet youll be hooked. Be sure to make extra!
What Youll Need For This Recipe
Vanilla: You can use a vanilla extract or if you want to see the little specks in your pastry cream use vanilla bean paste or a vanilla bean.
Cream: You can make the ganache with JUST chocolate and whipping cream but adding a tablespoon or two of light corn syrup will make it super-shiny and smooth.
Eggs: Large eggs are preferable and always make sure they are room temperature.
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Cantrell
Better Than The Real Thing
Bright, candy-like vanilla custard with a pinch of sea salt. Toasted pastry flakes nod to the distinct texture of an Old World cream puff.
An ode to one of Jenis all-time favorite desserts: the giant German cream puff. It took months to perfect the unique, candy-like, single-note vanilla that complements the rich egg custard. A delicate sprinkle of sea salt mimics Bavarian-style cream. And a heavy hand of soft pastry flakes lends the flavor and texture of a mega cream puff. This ice cream immediately tops our most popular list every time we release it and is a personal favorite of Jeni’s.
Boston Cream Pie Ice Cream
Creamy homemade Boston cream pie ice cream with swirls of pastry cream, chocolate fudge and chunks of moist cake.
I have a love/hate relationship with good series. You get so into them that you want to keep reading one right after another. Even to the point of re-reading books for a refresher later on. And of course, watching the movies because those are always likely these days.
Thats me right now with Divergent. I reread Insurgent before moving forward with Allegiant. Then the Divergent dvd arrived and I watched it twice in two days because its that good. How could I not? And I flew through the Four series . Now Im in a post series sadness. I want more. Why didnt she write more?! It shouldve been longer books and a longer series. Maybe like Harry Potter. Hey, a girl can dream, right? Im sure all fans wouldve agreed with that though more wouldve been amazing.
Another something that I wouldve loved more of this ice cream. It disappeared SO fast. Thats always a good thing though. A sure sign something is amazing. And that means you absolutely have to make it. So be sure to add this fun ice cream recipe to your plans soon!
A classic dessert reinvented into a fun frozen treat. Creamy vanilla ice cream with swirls of homemade pastry cream, rich chocolate fudge sauce and chunks of moist yellow cake. If you love Boston cream pie and ice cream, then youll definitely love this Boston cream pie ice cream! A perfect dessert for any time of the year!
Recommended Reading: Sweetie Pies Baked Beans Recipe
Make The Boston Cream
When you make the cream, youll want to plan enough time for the cream to cool and thicken. Make the cream right after you put cakes in the oven. Or you can even make the cream first before making the cake. This will give it plenty of time to cool.
Make sure you drizzle the warm cream into the eggs slowly so that the eggs dont scramble. It will give your custard a lumpy texture and not be good!
Need a shortcut? Use vanilla pudding and use less milk so that the pudding is thicker.
How To Make Boston Cream Pie Recipe:
STEP ONE: First, make the pastry cream. Then let it chill in the fridge for at least two hours.
STEP TWO: Next, make the yellow cake and pour it into the prepared cake pans. Bake for about 20-25 minutes and then let cool.
STEP THREE: After the cakes are cooled, assemble the cake by placing one cake in the center of the cake plate. Then spread the pastry cream evenly onto the cake.
STEP FOUR: Place the second cake round on top of the pastry cream. Set it in the fridge while you prepare the chocolate glaze.
STEP FIVE: Make the chocolate glaze.
STEP SIX: Then, pour the chocolate glaze onto the center of the cake. Spread the glaze to the edge of the cake, allowing some of the glaze to drip down the sides of the cake.
STEP SEVEN: Finally, chill the cake in the fridge for at least three hours.
STEP EIGHT: Slice and serve!
You May Like: Chicken Pot Pie With Campbell’s Cream Of Mushroom Soup
All About Boston Cream
Lets talk about Boston cream if you dont know what it is. Boston cream is a dessert that is very similar to custard. Its made from milk, eggs, sugar and cornstarch for thickening. It has a cool, creamy vanilla flavor that pairs well with the rich chocolate.
Because Boston cream is a milk based custard, youll want to keep it refrigerated .
Tips From The Betty Crocker Kitchens
- tip 1 As the story goes, the original Boston Cream Pie recipe was created in the 19th century by a pastry chef at the Parker House Hotel in Boston, where it was listed on the menu as Boston Cream Pie. Like many a storied recipe, its hard to know for surebut the name has certainly stuck, and Massachusetts laid further claim by naming this cake the official state dessert in 1996.
- tip 2 Boston cream pie is actually a sponge cakethus named because it turns out as light and fluffy as a sponge. The cake includes two layers filled with a creamy vanilla-flavored custard and topped with a rich chocolate icing.
- tip 3 When making the custard, take care to follow the directions closely. You want to end up with a pudding-like texture, so as the recipe says, boil it for only one minute. A related tip: you can make your custard up to 24 hours ahead to save time the day of.
- tip 4 When making the chocolate glaze for your Boston Cream Pie cake, remember to add the hot water only after youve removed the chocolate mixture from the stove and have stirred in the powdered sugar and vanilla. This will prevent the chocolate from seizingwhich is when the chocolate becomes clumpy and loses its velveteen texture.
Recommended Reading: Key Lime Pie The Profit
Boston Cream Pie Ice Cream Sandwiches Recipe
- Prep Time:1 hour plus freezing time
- Cook Time:30 minutes
- Serving Size:14small ice cream sandwiches
- 1 1/2cupswhole milk
- 2teaspoonsvanilla extract
- 2/3cupgranulated sugar, divided
- 1/4teaspoonfine sea salt
- 3large egg yolks
- 1 1/2cupschilled heavy cream
Vanilla whoopie pies
- 2 1/4cupsall-purpose flour
- 1teaspoonbaking powder
- 1/2teaspoonfine sea salt
- 4ounces unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4cupgranulated sugar
- 1/4cuppacked light brown sugar
- 3large eggs
- chocolate ganache , for topping
For the pastry ice cream:
For the vanilla whoopie pies:
How To Make Boston Cream Pie
1. Start off by making the pastry cream. Scald the milk in a medium-sized heavy-bottomed pot then set aside. In a large bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light in color and thicker in consistency. Sift in the corn starch and whisk until smooth and fully incorporated and drizzle in about 1/4 cup of the hot milk while whisking vigorously then pour in the remaining milk and whisk to combine.
2. Strain the mixture back into the pot and place over medium high heat whisking continuously until thickened. Once thickened cook an additional minute while whisking then remove rom heat and stir in the butter. Transfer the custard to a bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes then press plastic onto the surface and chill. We want the custard to cool and thicken up before spreading it onto the cake so make it first and test the consistency before spreading onto the cake.
3. Now its time for the cake. Preheat your oven to 350F and prep an eight inch cake pan. Butter the side and bottom then press a round piece of parchment paper into the bottom. Add a few teaspoons of flour and kick them around to coat the side. I always use cake strips when baking, if you use them place one in some water to soak. Stir the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a bowl and set aside.
Don’t Miss: Damgoode Pies River Market
Pro Tips For This Recipe
- Measure your flour correctly! Adding too much flour to the recipe is the most common mistake. The best, and easiest way to measure flour is by using a scale. If you dont have one then fluff your flour with a spoon, sprinkle it into your measuring cup, and use a knife to level it off.
- Use a serrated knife to cut the cake in half. If youre worried about cutting it evenly, place toothpicks a few inches apart around the equator. Use them as a guide for your knife. Its also okay if its not perfect! It will taste great either way.
- Use room temperature eggs for the pastry cream and sponge cake. This will help the cream cook faster and the cake to whip up better for a fluffier texture.
- Try using Herseys Special Dark chocolate bars for the ganache because it gives a deep dark chocolate color and shiny texture. If youve got bittersweet chocolate chips or baking bars in your cabinet, those will work great too! Add a tablespoon of corn syrup to the ganache for a shiny finish.
- Slice finished cake with a warm, non-serrated knife for clean cuts.
- Cook the pastry cream for a minute or two while whisking to help thicken it.
- Unlike more traditional sponge cakes that call for folding in whipped egg whites, this version uses what is referred to as a hot-milk method. Its more fool-proof when baking and results in a very flavorful cake.