Tips To Make The Best Recipe
- Allow the filling to cool slightly before adding the cauliflower mash topping. This gives it a chance to thicken up even further and to create the most delicious and meaty gravy ever!
- Be sure to blend your cauliflower into a very smooth consistency so that it is void of any chunks or clumps. This cooks bette and evenly.
- The golden crust is completely optional and gives it more flavor and richness. You can omit this completely if you wish.
Classic Shepherds Pie Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my Disclosure Policy
Meaty, savory, and comforting, shepherds pie is a classic dish of English origin filled with meat and veggies topped with a mashed potato crust. Dont be fooled by the lengthy ingredients though because this dinner delight is one of the easiest ever. Perfect for prep or a weekend dinner on a chilly night, my family always asks for my shepherds pie recipe when the temperatures are plummeting outside and I have a feeling yours will too!
Storing Freezing And Reheating Tips
- To store: Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator, covered, for up to one week.
- To freeze: Place portions of the shepherds pie in freezer friendly containers and store them in the freezer for up to 6 months. The pie must be thawed completely before reheating it.
- Reheating: Either microwave in 30-second spurts until warm or place the pie in a pre-heated oven for 10-15 minutes.
You May Like: Campbell Soup Chicken Pot Pie
How Do You Make Shepherds Pie From Scratch
To make this recipe for Shepherds pie with ground beef, you start out by making the meat filling. Combine all the ingredients for that and simmer together. Once its ready, you can get the oven pre-heated. Then youll make your mashed potatoes. After you have them ready, you can assemble this casserole in a baking dish with the meat mixture on the bottom and the mashed potatoes on top. Bake it uncovered for 30 minutes, let it cool for about 15 minutes, and then serve.
Whats In Shepherds Pie
Shepherds pie is made with ground meat and chopped up vegetables, which is simmered in a rich gravy, then topped with mashed potatoes and baked. In England, they almost always use ground lamb, whereas Americans usually make it with ground beef And I wont be the least bit offended if you call one the other. Both delicious and easily interchangeable.
Does Shepherds Pie have cheese on top? Traditionally, a Shepherds Pie is not topped with cheese, but I always mix some shredded cheddar cheese into the mashed potatoes. Because, of course. Cheese makes it that much more delicious!
You May Like: Damgoode Pies Kavanaugh
What Is A Good Dessert To Serve After Lasagna
Desserts that go well with lasagna are Vanilla Ice Cream, Gelato, Fruit Salad, Mini Berry Tarts, Cannolis, Lemon Drop Cookies, Panna Cotta, Lemon Pudding Dessert, Fruit Sorbets, Biscotti, Canestrelli, Tiramisu Cheesecake, Lemon Bars, Chocolate Mint Brownies, Amaretti Cookies, Chocolate Peanut Butter Pudding, Lemon.
How Do You Make Shepherds Pie In One Pan
Use a large 12-inch cast iron pan or another oven-proof skillet. The filling can be made in the pan, and then the potato topping can be spread on top. The dish is then baked until hot and then broiled for a few minutes to get the surface golden in color. If you dont have a pan that can be used in the oven, simply transfer the filling to a similar size casserole pan or baking dish.
Also Check: Hardee’s Apple Pie
Types Of Recipes On This Site
While I am proud to be a dietitian, I do NOT only eat health food. So, thats not what this site is about. I strive to make the BEST recipes, the recipes you keep coming back to over and over because your whole family loves them. If I can convince one family to cook one of my easy recipes at home instead of going through the fast-food drive through, then I consider that a win!
The recipes on this site tend to fall into one of two categories:
What Is An Italian Christmas Dinner
Unlike Christmas Eves meal, Christmas Day is typically meat-based. In Northern Italy, Lasagne Bolognese and filled pasta like manicotti and ravioli are traditional Christmas fare. Next comes the main event, the meat. Roasted veal, baked chicken, sausages or braised beef are common Natale entrées worth celebrating.
Also Check: Key Lime Pie Co
To Assemble A Shepherds Pie
Pro Tip: Shepherds Pie can be made ahead which is perfect for the holidays or busy weeknights. See the Make-ahead section below for tips on refrigerating or freezing the pie.
Variations And Similar Dishes
Sometimes there is a bottom layer of potato as well as a top.
Other potato-topped pies include:
- Potato pie is a ground red meat pie topped with mashed potato the difference is that the potato pie does not include any other vegetables.
- The modern Cumberland pie is a version with either beef or lamb and a layer of breadcrumbs and cheese on top. In medieval times, and modern-day Cumbria, the pastry crust had a filling of meat with fruits and spices.
- In Canada, pâté chinois or shepherd’s pie is made in a casserole dish with ground beef on the bottom layer, canned sweetcorn in the middle, and mashed potato on top.
- Shepherdess pie or shepherdless pie is a vegetarian version made without meat, or a vegan version made without meat and dairy.
- In the Netherlands, a very similar dish called philosopher’s stew often adds ingredients like beans, apples, prunes, or apple sauce.
- In Brazil, the name escondidinho ‘hidden’ describes the way sun-dried meat is hidden under a layer of manioc purée. The dish often includes cheese and chicken cod is sometimes used instead of beef.
You May Like: Church’s Chicken Salt Lake City
Main Dish Recipe Index
Browse main dish recipes that are tried and tested. From meatloaf to chili to chicken recipes. These are great options for the busy family any day of the week!
Check out these great entree recipes.
Hi, Im Amanda Finks
Im a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist living in Zionsville, IN. Im an avid cook, travel nerd, & lover of good food! Im trained in Food Science & recipe development. Its my mission to bring you the BEST recipes your whole family will love! See More.
What To Serve With Shepherd’s Pie
Since this meal has vegetables, protein, and starch all in one spoon, you don’t have to serve anything alongside the meal. Much like a pot pie, this meat pie is one that really doesn’t need additional sides.
However, if you are like our family and like to load up on vegetables on the side, then definitely serve up more! Anything from a simple side of green beans to a side salad will work. Since this is a rather heavy and richer meal, you’ll probably want to avoid fried foods or heavy sides. Instead, consider the fresh greens or green veggies to go with this.
One of my favorites is this recipe for roasted garlic parmesan asparagus spears. They are super easy to cook while your pie is cooking, and they pair really well with this rich dish.
Don’t Miss: Kermits Key Lime Pie On A Stick
How To Make Mashed Potato Topping
While the meat mixture is cooking, you will place your peeled potatoes into a pot of salted water and bring to a boil.
Cook the potatoes for 20 minutes or until fork-tender.
Drain the potatoes reserving ¼ cup of the water.
Pour the potatoes back into the pan and add in the water then begin mashing.
When the potatoes are mostly mashed, add in the melted butter, heavy cream, and sour cream.
Stir and mash to combine.
What Makes This The Best Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Texture: The cookies are soft in the middle and chewy around the edges.
- Flavor: They have a sweet, buttery, toffy-like cookie flavor, loaded with chocolate chips.
- Quick & Easy to make: No bringing the ingredients to room temperature. No chilling the dough. The recipe can easily be whisked together, instead of using a mixer. And, its a ONE BOWL recipe.
Recommended Reading: Campbell Soup Pot Pie
How Long To Boil Eggs For Deviled Eggs:
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full of water.
- Place the pot over high heat until the water comes to a rolling boil. This can take between 7-12 minutes, depending on the size of your pot and how much water you use. To speed things up, I use hot tap water and keep the lid on the pot until the water is boiling.
- Carefully and gently add the desired amount of large eggs to the boiling water. A mesh strainer works well for gently lowering more than one egg at a time into the hot water.
- Boil the eggs for 13-14 minutes. Adjust the heat as necessary so that the water doesnt boil over.
- Remove the pot from the heat. Drain the hot water from the pot while keeping the eggs in the pot. You could use the lid of the pot or a strainer to help keep the eggs in the pot as you drain the hot water.
- Add cold water to the pot until the eggs are covered in cold water. Pour that water out. Repeat with more cold water.
- Add 2 cups of ice to the pot. Gently stir the eggs. If the ice melts, add more until the water stays ice cold.
- Let the eggs rest in the ice cold water for 5 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the cold water. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week until you are ready to use them.
- Gently crack the egg shells and peel the eggs.
Prep Ahead And Tips For Shepherds Pie
You will love how easy and convenient this dish is. It can be made a day in advance, which makes dinner prep easier.
- Layering After prepping the meat mixture, let it cool and then chill it in the fridge for 20 minutes. This will help keep the mashed potato layer separated.
- Prep Ahead Prep and assemble up to one day in advance and refrigerate. Let it come to room temperature 30 minutes before baking it.
- Quick Clean Up If your baking dish is very full, place it on a parchment lined baking sheet to avoid any juices spilling in your oven.
- To Freeze Before Baking
- Cool completely. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then in foil. Freeze.
- Thaw overnight in the fridge. Bake for 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes uncovered
You May Like: Entenmann Coconut Custard Pie Recipe
What Is Shepherds Pie
Originating from the early 1800s, shepherds pie is a traditional Irish recipe. Its a hearty dish where women had to get creative with leftovers. Similar to how we create leftover casseroles today!
The basic structure is having a savory minced lamb filling topped with a layer of mashed potatoes. The filling is usually simmered with onions, carrots, celery, and peas.
Sounds like a cottage pie right? Except, cottage pie uses beef and shepherds pie uses lamb or mutton. So when you eat a Shepherds pie in the US that swaps ground beef for lamb, thats truly a cottage pie, not a Shepherds pie. Oh, semantics.
If you dont eat a lot of lamb, I say give this traditional version a try. I think youll love it! But no matter which type of meat you choose, this is true comfort food that will warm you from the inside out during the winter months.
The Wholesome Dish Is One Of The Most Trusted Recipe Websites
As a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist, Ive been trained in food science and recipe development. I personally test all of the recipes on this site. My family members are my taste testers. I dont put anything on this site that my family doesnt love. I have over 8 years of experience creating recipes. Its what I love doing! People keep coming back to the same recipes over and over again because their families love the food. Check out all the amazing reviews on the recipes on this site.
Read Also: Bisquick Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
The Best Authentic Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
One of the most iconic comfort food meals you’ll ever enjoy is this authentic shepherd’s pie recipe. A common casserole that originated in the UK, a shepherd’s pie is that all-in-one meal that includes richly seasoned beef, vegetables, and a lovely light mashed potato topping. Some have cheese, others include diced potatoes, and still, some have a variety of meats, but this is the one and only classic that my family begs me to make.
The Special Topping: Cauliflower And Potato Mash
One other change from traditional shepherds pie is the topping: Its a blend of cauliflower and potatoes! This means fewer carbs and calories , but more importantly, the added health benefits of cauliflower.
The recipe calls for sharp or extra-sharp cheddar cheese, which plays off of the cauliflower and adds a pleasing crust when baked.
Read Also: Impossibly Easy Chicken Pot Pie
What Type Of Meat Do You Use
You can use any ground meat youd like or even use a mixture of both as I did. For this recipe, I selected a lean type of ground beef and lamb so that the sauce wouldnt become too greasy. However, shepherds pie is traditionally made with ground lamb. Although mutton, which is an aged sheep around 3 years will provide a sharper gamey and fattier flavor.
How To Eat: Shepherd’s Pie
This month, How to Eat is settling down on the sofa with a steaming plate of shepherds pie, peas and diced carrots, a mug of tea and, naturally, a slice of thickly buttered bread for mopping up. How else would you eat this meal?
It is not often that one might feel sorry for Jeffrey Archer. But his revulsion at the state of the shepherds pie at HMP Belmarsh, as described inA Prison Diary, Hell, Volume I, is surely vivid enough to elicit that rare flicker of sympathy? The meat, if it is meat, is glued to the potato, and then deposited on your plastic plate in one large blob, resembling a Turner prize entry, he shuddered.
Man can suffer many indignities in life but when you find yourself in a situation where no one can be bothered to make even a half-decent shepherds pie for you the subject of this months How to Eat then you have surely hit rock-bottom. After all, it is not difficult to assemble, which may explain why this hardy northern dish , has become one of Britains foremost comfort foods. It is both spoonable self-medication and something that the clumsiest kitchen clot can knock up.
You May Like: Jim Brush Key Lime Pie