Homemade Banana Cream Pie
It is time. coming to life!!!
Thank you to everyone who entered the giveaway and submitted your recipe earlier this month. This was such a fun experience and I enjoyed reading through all of your favorite desserts and how you make them, too! I feel like we should do this again sometime. Maybe during the holidays?!
The randomly chosen winner was Sara, who asked me to perfect her banana cream pie recipe. This actually made me really happy because I always have trouble with banana cream pie setting up. And if its not the thickness issue, its the flavor. But this gave me an opportunity to focus this month!
Bakers, welcome to THE banana cream pie recipe.
First things first! This is a completely from-scratch banana cream pie recipe. There will be no boxes, zero mixes, zippity zilch shortcuts. Banana cream pie is such a specialty and while Ive definitely made this delicacy with pudding mixes in the past, we all deserve to try it the homemade way. Because I assure you: you can taste the difference. And it will graciously satisfy your heart, soul, and stomach.
Also, there are a lot of photos in your scrolling future. If youd like to jump to the recipe, keep scrolling. Its down there somewhere I swear.
Alternatively, how about using a graham cracker crust!? This is a much easier option. Make sure you pre-bake it for about 10 minutes at 350°F , then let it cool completely before filling.
Certainly not diet food, but diets do not belong in pies.
Atlantic Beach Pie On Npr
Just after my trip to Chapel Hill, NPR asked me if I wanted to do some segments on a series of shows they were creating called Found Recipes. In essence the show is about a person coming across kind of food or recipe that delicious/amazing/surprising that werent looking for at all. A happenstance serendipitous discovery that needs to be shared with a greater world.
Yes, I said. I would love to be on your show. And I have the perfect recipe.
The segment aired and the response was crazy enthusiastic. The phone started ringing at Crooks Corner people making reservations and checking to make sure the pie was on the menu. It had been, in fact, a sometime special, not a permanent menu item..but Bill quickly realized that that pie needed to stay on the menu for good.
Crooks Corner is about to celebrate their 50th anniversary, and the created a timeline of milestones for the restaurant, the NPR piece about the pie made the chart! I was very proud.
The OH-MY-GOD pie of all time. As heard/seen on NPR and The New York Times! A saltine crust filled with creamy citrus filling and topped with whipped cream.
And then just now Margaux Laskey told the whole story in the New York Times!
IS THAT EXCITING OR WHAT????
Its a good story, but its an even better pie.
If you want to hear the NPR piece, just click here! It has since been featured oh everywhere. Southern Living
What I Love About This Banana Cream Pie:
- The filling: The key to perfect banana cream filling is in the consistency. If you cook it right, it will thicken to where the banana cream pie holds together well enough to serve it, but the custard is still creamy and soft. Be sure that the filling has thickened in the pan and definitely before pouring it into your crust.
- The crust: This banana cream pie can be made with a variety of different crusts. I make it with a wafer crust but you could also make it with homemade Graham cracker crust or a pre-baked traditional pie crust. Whichever crust you choose, Im begging you to make it from scratch because it will taste so much better!
- Make ahead of time. If youre looking to make this pie ahead of time, its easy to do. Just wait to add the bananas to the top before serving .
Recommended Reading: My Little Pony Pinkie Pie Toy
Banana Cream Pie Parfaits
Amy Myers, MD
Amy Myers, M.D. is a functional medicine physician, trained and certified by The Institute of Functional Medicine. Dr. Myers earned her Doctor of Medicine at the LSU Health Science Center, and completed her Emergency Medicine residency at the University of Maryland Medical Center.
Dr. Myers retired from her functional medicine clinic, Austin UltraHealth, where she served thousands of patients, to empower those who were failed by conventional medicine. Shes a 2x New York Times bestselling author, and the founder and CEO of the health & lifestyle e-commerce brand, Amy Myers MD®.
These AIP Banana Cream Pie Parfaits make the most delicious dessert! Layers of homemade dairy-free, egg-free banana pudding, fresh bananas, and an AIP cookie crumble give this easy dessert an irresistible texture combination. You will love the flavor of these AIP banana parfaits and how convenient it is to prepare them all the parts of this parfait can be prepared in advance for an easy dessert as soon as the craving strikes!
Repurpose Your Leftover Thanksgiving Pie Into Pie Cream:
From banana to blueberry , check out our best cream pie recipes. It’s easy to make but if you follow some of the recipes featured here, you’ll make the most of the ingredients and produce a dessert that’s memorable for. Every fifth sunday at our country church, we have a hymn sing and potluck dinner. After the pie is chilled and set, it’s covered with whipped topping and more toasted coconut. I throw most of the ingredients in the blender to whip up the filling, then pour it into a purchased crust. Every item on this page was chosen by a woman’s day editor.
Coconut Cream Pie Recipe – NYT Cooking from static01.nyt.com
We may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy. The southern strawberry pie is one of the simplest yet tastiest desserts you can make. If you buy from a link, we may earn a commission. I throw most of the ingredients in the blender to whip up the filling, then pour it into a purchased crust. After the pie is chilled and set, it’s covered with whipped topping and more toasted coconut. Every item on this page was chosen by a woman’s day editor. Sweetened toasted coconut is stirred into a homemade custard filling and poured into a pie shell. This coconut cream pie recipe filled with a thick, creamy coconut custard and topped with mounds of homemade whipped cream is a perfect easter dessert.
Recommended Reading: Mermaids Cupcakes Denver
Recipe: Chocolate Banana Cream Pie
- Read in app
Adapted from Wayne Harley Brachman
Time: 30 minutes, plus about 2 hours for cooling and refrigerating the pie filling
For the filling:
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa
1/2 cup sugar
1^ prebaked 9-inch pie shell or 9 1/2-inch tart shell
2^ ripe bananas, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1/2 ^ cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 ^ cup unsweetened cocoa
2 ^ cups heavy cream.
1. Prepare the filling: Using a microwave oven or double boiler, melt together the chocolate and the butter. In a medium bowl, combine the cornstarch, cocoa and 1/4 cup of sugar. Add 1/4 cup of the milk, and stir to blend. Add the eggs and yolks, and whisk until smooth.
2. In a medium saucepan, combine the remaining 2 1/4 cups milk and the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Place over medium heat until scalded. Slowly drizzle the milk into the cocoa mixture, stirring gently with a whisk to blend the mixture without aerating it.
3. Return the mixture to the saucepan, and cook over medium heat until tiny bubbles boil up for 3 seconds. Remove from the heat, and strain into a clean bowl. Add the melted chocolate mixture, and stir until thoroughly blended. Place wax paper directly on the surface of the pudding and let cool at room temperature 1 hour, then refrigerate until completely chilled.
Yield: One 9-inch pie .
How To Save Banana Cream Pie
I put the custard back on the stove, added about 1/2 cup of milk and heated it on medium heat to loosen it up. I had already whipped up the whipped cream, so that was chilling in the refrigerator waiting to be used. When I removed the custard from the heat, I let it cool for a bit and then I added 6 very generous tablespoons of whipped cream and whipped it with the hand mixer until it had a nice, almost fluffy consistency. And THEN I assembled the pie! Let me tell you, it was quite a culinary adventure. And thankfully, reheating and thinning the custard and then adding whipped cream did the trick! It made for a very nice and tasty pie filling. Phew!
Okay, so now that you know what NOT to do when you make a Banana Cream Pieheres the recipe so you can try for yourself. And remember, you do NOT want scrambled eggs or curdling at any point in the custard making process. The custard is wonderfully flavorful, its not a plain vanilla custard. Its really yummy, so dig in!
Recommended Reading: Black Grape Pie
Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
Easiest way to prepare coconut cream pie recipe, My custard pie features two tropical flavors i love. It’s easy to make but if you follow some of the recipes featured here, you’ll make the most of the ingredients and produce a dessert that’s memorable for. 80 1 3 this recipe was passed down from my grandma to my dad and now i’ll be sharing on this site.
Betty’s Southern Coconut Cream Pie – YouTube from i.ytimg.com
It’s easy to make but if you follow some of the recipes featured here, you’ll make the most of the ingredients and produce a dessert that’s memorable for. Plus, it’s a breeze to make. Plenty of coconut flavor is blended. Repurpose your leftover thanksgiving pie into pie cream: 80 1 3 this recipe was passed down from my grandma to my dad and now i’ll be sharing on this site. Country living editors select each product featured. My custard pie features two tropical flavors i love. From banana to blueberry , check out our best cream pie recipes.
How To Make Banana Cream Pie:
1. Make the crust. Crush wafers in a food processor, mix with melted butter, and press into pan.
2. Make the filling. The custard filling is made on the stovetop with milk, sugar, cornstarch, salt, eggs, butter, and vanilla. NOTE: Be sure that the filling has thickened in the pan and definitely before pouring it into your crust.
3. Fill half with custard. After you make and cool the custard, layer half of it inside the pie crust, and top it with a layer of sliced bananas.
4. Add sliced bananas. You can also add bananas to the top of the pie when serving, instead .
5. Add the rest of the custard. Smooth the rest of the custard over the sliced bananas. Top the pie with some sweetened, freshly whipped cream. Heaven!
6. Refrigerate. Make sure to give the pie several hours in the fridge. This is crucial in making sure it sets up properly, and doesnt get sloppy on you when you cut into it. To store: Cover the pie in plastic wrap and store it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Also Check: Damgoode Pies Kavanaugh
I’ve Found A Way To Make Coconut Cream Pie Without A Lot Of Fuss And Still Get Terrific Flavor
From banana to blueberry , check out our best cream pie recipes. I always bring this coconut cream pie with meringue, and it goes fast. joyce reece, mena, arkansas home pies coconut pies coconut. We may earn commission from links on this page, but we only recommend products we back. After the pie is chilled and set, it’s covered with whipped topping and more toasted coconut. My custard pie features two tropical flavors i love. From banana to blueberry (and even bosto. Every item on this page was chosen by a woman’s day editor. I’ve found a way to make coconut cream pie without a lot of fuss and still get terrific flavor. This recipe was passed down from my grandma to my dad and now i’ll be sharing on this site. Plenty of coconut flavor is blended. It’s easy to make but if you follow some of the recipes featured here, you’ll make the most of the ingredients and produce a dessert that’s memorable for. mandy rivers, lexington, south carolina home pies. We may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy. Every fifth sunday at our country church, we have a hymn sing and potluck dinner.
How To Make Magnolia Bakerys Banana Pudding:
Read Also: 6 Inch Glass Pie Plate
How To Save A Failed Banana Cream Pie
If you search around the internet, you will find a wide range of Banana Cream Pie recipes. Some claim to be easy, many will be from scratch, while others will opt to use pudding instead of making custard. In addition, there are several choices for crusts, both homemade and store bought, the choice is yours! You can use a flakey pie crust, a graham cracker crust, an Oreo crust, a Nilla wafer crust, or a Gingersnap crust. Did I miss any? Thats one of the beauties of baking, you have many choices. Personalize it and make it yours.
This was my first attempt at a Banana Cream Pie, so I did a good amount of research before I started. The most recurring challenge that I read about over and over again was that sometimes the custard made from scratch became runny after refrigerating. Boo! Heres what I learnedthat happens as a result of not cooking the custard long enough. Eggs are typically the main thickeners in custard and when cooked, the proteins in the eggs get thicker. If the eggs are overcooked, youll end up with scrambled eggs. If theyre cooked just right, you get a nice creamy custard that remains thick when refrigerated. Sounds easy, right?